2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My Comparison of Z82, SL2, Coolshot ProII, TourZ6 Jolt, SkyCaddie SX550, Arccos

ahkim

So I lost my Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt rangefinder a couple weeks ago and decided to get the Nikon Coolshot Pro II stabilized.  It's a great rangefinder and the stabilization is very nice.  At the same time, I started looking for a GPS unit for my mom so I've been playing with the SkyCaddie for 2-3 weeks.  As an 7-8 handicap and not playing in league this year, the SkyCaddie was great because knowing the center of green yardage was good enough for most approach shots.   Then, I found out that the z82 and SL2 combine the laser and GPS in one.  So I've been playing with those 2 units for the past few rounds.   

I'm still undecided which one(s) I'll keep, but will post some thoughts on the various units over the next few days.  My main criteria:

• I hate slow play so I need something that gives me data fast.
  • I like to know my yardages for approach shots as close as 30 yards.  Inside of that, I don't shoot it.
  • I've been burned a few times by a back pin and not knowing it was back, then going deep by a few feet due to poor club selection. 

By the way, I found my Z6 so all of this started for nothing. If you can't tell, I enjoy playing around with tech.  

In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions and maybe I can help you decide between one of these.

image.png.81b24055e107ee956ffa948d91271272.png

Edited by ahkim
  • Like 2

• ahkim changed the title to My Comparison of Z82, SL2, Coolshot ProII, TourZ6 Jolt, SkyCaddie SX550, Arccos
22 minutes ago, fundustrial said:

What a great thread. Really interested in the SL2.

- How is the clarity of the view scope? 
- Speed of device? 
- Battery? 
- Durability? 

Hate slow play too so things that work quick are great. 

Regarding the VoiceCaddie SL2:

• Laser is very fast to get the pin, maybe the fastest of the bunch.  The PIN mode claims to use GPS data to find the more quickly; that seems to be true.
  • I can't really comment on the battery since I've only played 9 holes at a time, but it seemed fine.
  • My course is listed as having the green slope view, but it didn't show up.   I was looking forward to that feature.
  • The LCD screen is nice, but didn't impress me as much as I hoped.  If you don't have anything else, sure it's nice to see the hazards, but these days the GHIN app would work better for that purpose.  It's nice seeing front, middle, back on the LCD, but the Z82 does a better job for showing the pin depth.
  • The optics are great, but so are the other ones.
  • As for durability, it's very fancy looking and I worry about how it'll look after a year, whereas the other ones I don't worry about that. 

Interested to hear what you think of the Nikon. I'm using a Precision Pro NX7 with overall positive experience just a few things that Nikon does/have that the NX7 doesn't. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I have a Z6 and I'm interested in your opinion of the Z82. I honestly didn't know this type of device was available and think it would be amazing for playing a course for the first time.

Titleist TSr3, 10, Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TSi3, 15, Mitsubishi Chemical AV Raw Blue 75-TX

Titleist 915fD 18, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2X

Titleist T100 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist SM9 50F, 54F, 60D, Dynamic Gold S400
LAB Mezz.1 Max
Titleist ProV1x 

On 10/1/2021 at 12:57 AM, ahkim said:

Regarding the VoiceCaddie SL2:

• Laser is very fast to get the pin, maybe the fastest of the bunch.  The PIN mode claims to use GPS data to find the more quickly; that seems to be true.
  • I can't really comment on the battery since I've only played 9 holes at a time, but it seemed fine.
  • My course is listed as having the green slope view, but it didn't show up.   I was looking forward to that feature.
  • The LCD screen is nice, but didn't impress me as much as I hoped.  If you don't have anything else, sure it's nice to see the hazards, but these days the GHIN app would work better for that purpose.  It's nice seeing front, middle, back on the LCD, but the Z82 does a better job for showing the pin depth.
  • The optics are great, but so are the other ones.
  • As for durability, it's very fancy looking and I worry about how it'll look after a year, whereas the other ones I don't worry about that. 

Thank you! 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:56 AM, OSUBuckeyeFan8 said:

I have a Z6 and I'm interested in your opinion of the Z82. I honestly didn't know this type of device was available and think it would be amazing for playing a course for the first time.

I agree, if you are playing a course for the first time, I think the z82 is great!  I play the same course for 90% of my rounds so at this point, I just need the pin yardage, in which case the z82 is too slow for me.  It takes too much time to get a reading.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:05 AM, MattM97 said:

Interested to hear what you think of the Nikon. I'm using a Precision Pro NX7 with overall positive experience just a few things that Nikon does/have that the NX7 doesn't. 

I like the Nikon, the image stabilization is good and makes it a lot easier to hit the pin when you are over 100 yards away.  There's a good chance the Nikon will be my rangefinder of choice.  It's fast and accurate, so it does 99% of what I'm looking for. 

Update: I played 18 holes with the SL2, Z82, SkyCaddie, and the GPS in the cart.  I left my Nikon in the bag since I was mostly interested in comparing the GPS data.  Here are some thoughts in random order:

• The SL2 laser is fast.  But sometimes it hits the hill behind the pin and shows that as the pin.  For example, it'll show that it locked on the pin at 120 yards, but the pin is only 90 yards.  The GPS distances were the most inconsistent among the 4.  For example, there were several times when the center of green would be at 145 yards; all the units would be within 3 yards but the SL2 might be off by 6 or more yards.  This happened more than a couple times.    The SL2 looks very nice, maybe too nice.  I felt bad putting it in the cup holder of the cart, like it would get dirty of scratches.  I didn't care with the other rubberized units.  The GPS issue is probably enough for me to get rid of the SL2. 
  • The SkyCaddie is good overall but I find the graphics to be lacking.  At my home course, they don't show water bodies.  I like the bright display and had it on always on mode and mounted high on my cart.  Distances were always close to other units and actual.
  • The Z82 was more useful at this course because it's a course I don't play often. However, as I mentioned in my previous post, it's too slow to get a shot.  First, you have to press a button to wake up the LCD screen, which is only 1-2 sec, then you can shoot the pin, so it probably takes less than 10 secs, but I can get a distance with the SL2 in a sec.  I really like the map display on the Z82, it shows hazards and related distances very clearly, but I don't like having to look into the eyepiece to see that data.  That's what makes this unit slow to use on the course, it's not easy to walk and look at the data at the same time.  I love the idea of the Z82, but I won't be keeping it. 

image.png.6060e6d8251eaa3e80ded0d4eb906779.png

Edited by ahkim

2 hours ago, ahkim said:

I like the Nikon, the image stabilization is good and makes it a lot easier to hit the pin when you are over 100 yards away.  There's a good chance the Nikon will be my rangefinder of choice.  It's fast and accurate, so it does 99% of what I'm looking for. 

Good to know I don't usually have trouble shooting the pin with my laser but if something is better/faster may not be a bad idea to upgrade for me. Can always sell one of my buddies my current one cheap. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I bought a Z82 and I'm on the fence as to whether I'll be keeping it as well. The course hole display was fantastic as well as the ability to use hazard mode to see all the relevant bunkers and carry distances. I was unfamiliar with the course so having GPS numbers was great especially for some elevated greens that had back hole locations. I also found the display to be clear enough and bright enough even on medium brightness. At the end of the round I had 84% battery left. Everything was awesome except actually ranging the flag. I found the rangefinder to be very unsteady and hard to lock on to the flag. I had to use 2 hands almost use a sweeping motion. Much more difficult and time consuming than a Bushnell. 

Going to try it again tomorrow at my home track and then will make a decision. 

Titleist TSr3, 10, Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TSi3, 15, Mitsubishi Chemical AV Raw Blue 75-TX

Titleist 915fD 18, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2X

Titleist T100 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist SM9 50F, 54F, 60D, Dynamic Gold S400
LAB Mezz.1 Max
Titleist ProV1x 

I'm using the Z80 (so predecessor to Z82) and I'm pretty satisfied with it overall.  I don't think it's particularly slow and haven't had any issues shooting the pins with it.  I really like the GPS and hole layout showing up on the screen.  So far so good.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Well as someone who just lost their $450 Nikon during a tournament yesterday, thank you for this experiment and thread because I'm suddenly in the market for a new device.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts and recommendation on what you think I might like the best.  I'll start by saying this.

I really liked my Nikon.  The stabilization feature was great.  I'm having a hard time imagining going back to a different device that lacks this feature.

That being said, there some things I didn't like about the Nikon.  These are probably due to my own tendencies and not the device itself.

I also like to play fast so I typically just shoot the pin and use the rangefinder to have a quick look at the green to try and gauge the pin location.  So having more zoom power would be nice, that would help to see the pin location better from a distance.  I find that frequently I think the pin is in the middle and it's in the back, etc.

I would also like something that shows the distances to front/middle/back.  I know there are several phone apps I could use.  I've tried them and I'm just too lazy to use them.  I feel like it's a burden to have to shoot a pin and monitor a phone app every hole.  I also don't like having to use my phone on the course if possible, I prefer to park that in my bag.  So that z82 looks intriguing to me but I just don't know if I can go without the stabilization feature the Nikon provides.

I've tried the latest Bushnell's and what I didn't like about them was the small font in the display.  I felt like I could barely read the numbers whereas with the Nikon they are nice and big.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Edited by abenjami

On 10/1/2021 at 6:05 AM, MattM97 said:

I went from the NX7 to the Nikon.  They don't even compare IMO.

Everything about the Nikon is better.  The NX7 is light cheap materials while the Nikon is way more solid.  My first NX7 broke after 2 drops.  My Nikon endured about 20 drops without any problems.

The stabilization feature on the Nikon is a big upgrade.  So is the Nikon's lens.

You can buy a $10 rubber case for the Nikon on Amazon, stuff some magnets inside it, and all of a sudden your Nikon has the Bushnell "bite" feature where it sticks to the metal on your cart.

I still have my second NX7 and it lives in my range bag.  So I still use it a few times a month to shoot flags at the driving range.  Every single time I use it, I think to myself, man I can't believe this is what I used to use 100's of times a month.

19 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I went from the NX7 to the Nikon.  They don't even compare IMO.

Everything about the Nikon is better.  The NX7 is light cheap materials while the Nikon is way more solid.  My first NX7 broke after 2 drops.  My Nikon endured about 20 drops without any problems.

The stabilization feature on the Nikon is a big upgrade.  So is the Nikon's lens.

You can buy a $10 rubber case for the Nikon on Amazon, stuff some magnets inside it, and all of a sudden your Nikon has the Bushnell "bite" feature where it sticks to the metal on your cart.

I still have my second NX7 and it lives in my range bag.  So I still use it a few times a month to shoot flags at the driving range.  Every single time I use it, I think to myself, man I can't believe this is what I used to use 100's of times a month.

For my usage and needs my NX7 works great but I don't play too often, in 2022 I'm hoping to get a membership so I'll go from playing 2x a month if I'm lucky to min 2x a week so I'll definitely want something much better.

Just curious if you have the Pro-II Stabilized or a different model and how's the battery life on it as well?

Lefty - WITB Thread

I use both the Skycaddie SX500 and Nikon Coolshot 80i VR. Both are great doing the job I need them to do. The Skycaddie gives me a yardage book look at the hole. It helps me on where I want to aim and how far I want to hit it from the tee. The main course I play has elevated and deceptive greens. It is difficult to figure out pin placement so the Nikon is great in giving yardage so I can figure where the pin is on the green looking at my Skycaddie. The image stabilization of the Nikon makes it very easy and quick to get a yardage. I can have my yardage I want to hit and club pulled quicker than if I had to walk the yardages using the sprinkler heads.

Also I have a Caddie Buddy holder for both. For the Nikon, they sell a pouch you can pull the Nikon in. It a lot safer and secure than trying to use some kind of magnet jacket.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

On 10/12/2021 at 9:11 PM, TM_HOYER said:

I use both the Skycaddie SX500 and Nikon Coolshot 80i VR. Both are great doing the job I need them to do. The Skycaddie gives me a yardage book look at the hole. It helps me on where I want to aim and how far I want to hit it from the tee. The main course I play has elevated and deceptive greens. It is difficult to figure out pin placement so the Nikon is great in giving yardage so I can figure where the pin is on the green looking at my Skycaddie. The image stabilization of the Nikon makes it very easy and quick to get a yardage. I can have my yardage I want to hit and club pulled quicker than if I had to walk the yardages using the sprinkler heads.

Also I have a Caddie Buddy holder for both. For the Nikon, they sell a pouch you can pull the Nikon in. It a lot safer and secure than trying to use some kind of magnet jacket.

I'll probably do the same. 

• I'll rely on GPS (SkyCaddie or phone app) for playing new courses, playing for fun, and to know front, mid, back of green.
  • I'll use a laser when I feel I need more info or in league play.

I was hoping the all-in-one units would eliminate the need to have 2 devices.  The VoiceCaddie SL2 comes very close to being that single unit, but I miss the ability to see the hole layout on new courses.  

• Like 2

I wanted to provide another update.  I decided to return the Garmin Z82 and was planning on using the Nikon Coolshot Pro II stabilized as my main rangefinder; however I tried the Voicecaddie SL2 one last time and I've changed my mind!

First, SL2 manual is pretty weak.  I didn't see anywhere where it said you have to connect to the app to download the green slope data, so when I connected to my PC, it did a FW update and I had the ability to download green data.  The funny thing, now that I have slope data, I don't find myself using it.    

I compared the GPS data on the SL2 to the SkyCaddie, Bushnell Phantom 2, and my Arccos Caddie app and was surprised how consistent the SL2 GPS data is to the other units.  It was within a couple yards 90% of the time.  Maybe the FW update helped improve the accuracy?

But here's the main reason the SL2 is my top choice, it was the easiest and fastest to hit the pin.  The SL2 vibrates when it hits the pin, and it felt like it would get the correct data almost 100% of the time; it's very fast.  The Nikon is just as fast, but for some reason it didn't give me the confirmation beep for hitting the pin, even though it gave the correct yardage.   Because of that, I would shoot it again.  With the SL2, I would only have to hit the pin once. 

Now that I know the GPS data on the SL2 is close, I don't feel like I need the SkyCaddie anymore.  However, I'll use the Arccos Caddie app when I need course layout yardage. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by ahkim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a Garmin G30 GPS for my dad and wanted to share that I like the graphics and price a lot better than the SkyCaddie.  

At my main course, SkyCaddie doesn't show water, which is a disappointment.  The SkyCaddie screen is amazing though. Yardages are close enough as well.   

The G30 also shows distance to the bunker without having to touch anything, that's nice.

I'm selling my SkyCaddie if anyone is interested....

image.png.4407a21420e40c45619fffd3d525ea4d.png

image.png.a7be77c69197a6d3a7cc893fb6aca78c.png

Edited by ahkim
  • Confused 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:59 AM, ahkim said:

I picked up a Garmin G30 GPS for my dad and wanted to share that I like the graphics and price a lot better than the SkyCaddie.  

At my main course, SkyCaddie doesn't show water, which is a disappointment.  The SkyCaddie screen is amazing though. Yardages are close enough as well.   

The G30 also shows distance to the bunker without having to touch anything, that's nice.

If you tap the "bullseye" icon in the upper left, it'll turn off the range arcs, and the distances to the bunkers will be displayed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/28/2021 at 1:59 AM, ahkim said:

If you have missing water hazards, you should contact Skycaddie and let them know to they can correct the issue.

• Like 2

Callaway Chrome Soft

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

If you tap the "bullseye" icon in the upper left, it'll turn off the range arcs, and the distances to the bunkers will be displayed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

@Argonne69 Is that your SX550? If it is, how do you like it over the SX500 and how much better is it over the SX500?

Callaway Chrome Soft

3 hours ago, TM_HOYER said:

If you have missing water hazards, you should contact Skycaddie and let them know to they can correct the issue.

I sold the unit but will still let SkyCaddie know.

Update: they don't make it easy to make that request without having to spend a few mins.  Wish they would have an email for support.

Edited by ahkim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TM_HOYER said:

@Argonne69 Is that your SX550? If it is, how do you like it over the SX500 and how much better is it over the SX500?

Actually, that's a stock screenshot. I have the SX400. I thought the 500 was too big, but the 550 looks just about right. I'll pick up a 550 when my 400 bites the dust. I believe they all use the same software. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, ahkim said:

I sold the unit but will still let SkyCaddie know.

Update: they don't make it easy to make that request without having to spend a few mins.  Wish they would have an email for support.

Try this.....

Support Portal (skygolf.com)

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 5 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 8:51 AM, ahkim said:

So I lost my Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt rangefinder a couple weeks ago and decided to get the Nikon Coolshot Pro II stabilized.  It's a great rangefinder and the stabilization is very nice.  At the same time, I started looking for a GPS unit for my mom so I've been playing with the SkyCaddie for 2-3 weeks.  As an 7-8 handicap and not playing in league this year, the SkyCaddie was great because knowing the center of green yardage was good enough for most approach shots.   Then, I found out that the z82 and SL2 combine the laser and GPS in one.  So I've been playing with those 2 units for the past few rounds.   

I'm still undecided which one(s) I'll keep, but will post some thoughts on the various units over the next few days.  My main criteria:

• I hate slow play so I need something that gives me data fast.
  • I like to know my yardages for approach shots as close as 30 yards.  Inside of that, I don't shoot it.
  • I've been burned a few times by a back pin and not knowing it was back, then going deep by a few feet due to poor club selection. 

By the way, I found my Z6 so all of this started for nothing. If you can't tell, I enjoy playing around with tech.  

In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions and maybe I can help you decide between one of these.

image.png.81b24055e107ee956ffa948d91271272.png

This will be my morning read....literally lost a Z82 and bought a Nikon CS Pro II