2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Area to retire - golf, weather, affordability and "things" to do

2 hours ago, sabram said:

I retired to Florida last year. Very happy with the move. Lots of golf at all price points and quality. Lots of other things to do. No state taxes. Cost of living relatively low (except for the monthly water bill). The only problem is the uncontrolled growth. They are clearing citrus groves and building residential communities at a crazy pace without any master plan. The traffic is getting like L.A. in some places.

So you came here from somewhere else in the last year and you are dismayed by the growth ? Too many golf courses have been plowed under for housing

It is not like somebody has to move out so others can move in

SE Florida is riding to another housing bubble- It is pretty much built out  so prices are crazy again

My house was appraised at nearly double what I paid for it 8 years ago and is almost 40 years old--insane and unrealistic

Lots of people are taking the money and going North to SC/NC and Tn probably driving prices up there too

I love S Florida and am staying here but if I was gonna move it would be the Mississippi or Alabama Gulf coast

• Like 1

SE side from Miami to Palm Beach

"The Anthony J. Catanese Center for Urban and Environmental Solutions at Florida Atlantic University notes the unusual growth pattern of South Florida. Unlike many areas with centralized cities surrounded by development, most of South Florida is preserved natural area and designated agricultural reserves, with development restricted to a dense, narrow strip along the coast. The developed area is highly urbanized and increasingly continuous and decentralized, with no particular dominant core cities. The center projects this pattern to continue in the future"

On 9/30/2021 at 6:22 PM, Oriole05 said:

The title says it all. It's a tough topic to tackle and has more questions than answers, but I have a friend approaching retirement next year and I'm 8 years away so we talk about it. Most of the conversation has been southern North Carolina and Palm Beach, FL area.  I think we are both most interested in the east coast of the US but please share any and all thoughts.

I am semi retired in Alabama.  Cost of living is bearable.  We have a ton of publicly accessible golf (Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail) that you can play year around.  Winters can be wet, but aren't crazy cold especially Birmingham and south of there.  December and January are the slowest months for sneaking a round in, but that's more about daylight than the weather.  Even in late January or early February, I play in a non-hoodie sweatshirt or light jacket.  

Georgia doesn't tax retirement earnings, so that is a bonus.  But golf is more private and semi-private clubs there, except in rural areas.  

Tennessee has no income tax, but that's the latitude where winter starts to get a little more noticeable in my opinion.  

I've got lots of friends in Florida.  Same as some others have said, winter golf is great.  Summer golf can get pretty tough after 10 am.  

Coastal Carolina (both North and South) are nice.  I've played that area in January and February before and the issue was wind off the water had a bite to it.  Plus Coastal South Carolina has summer humidity that is epic. 

I don't think you can go wrong with anything in that bottom right hand corner of the country.

• Like 2

How is the Savannah area? We've spent time at HHI, so I know the weather can be a bit sticky in the summer. Is Savannah far enough from the coast to be fairly safe from hurricanes? We did consider The Landings, but it is surrounded by water, and only has an elevation of 10 feet. The cost of club membership was too high, as well.

10 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

I am semi retired in Alabama.  Cost of living is bearable.  We have a ton of publicly accessible golf (Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail) that you can play year around.  Winters can be wet, but aren't crazy cold especially Birmingham and south of there.  December and January are the slowest months for sneaking a round in, but that's more about daylight than the weather.  Even in late January or early February, I play in a non-hoodie sweatshirt or light jacket.  

Georgia doesn't tax retirement earnings, so that is a bonus.  But golf is more private and semi-private clubs there, except in rural areas.  

Tennessee has no income tax, but that's the latitude where winter starts to get a little more noticeable in my opinion.  

I've got lots of friends in Florida.  Same as some others have said, winter golf is great.  Summer golf can get pretty tough after 10 am.  

Coastal Carolina (both North and South) are nice.  I've played that area in January and February before and the issue was wind off the water had a bite to it.  Plus Coastal South Carolina has summer humidity that is epic. 

I don't think you can go wrong with anything in that bottom right hand corner of the country.

was thinking alabama, but no one gets excited about that, which is fine by me ... i played oxmoor valley today when the opening temp was 40 ... that's cold, but it's playable, esp if you're walking ... i would think nc's golf clubs can be a bit pricey ... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, miamistomp said:

So you came here from somewhere else in the last year and you are dismayed by the growth ?

I had no idea it would grow at the pace it is now or be as disorganized as it is. The pace of buying/growth wasn't the same in early 2020. In fact, I got a real good deal on my home. Since I bought, things have gone crazy and my home value is up about 30% above what I paid.

Take a look at the Reynolds Plantation community in Greensboro, GA on Lake Oconee.  Six high end courses onsite with more in the surrounding area.  High end lake living with a rural feel outside of the community.  Pricey but if comping off CA probably not shocking.  An LPGA event is now  played on the Great Waters course I believe and a Ritz Carlton lodge onsite on the lake.  Another perk is you have the rural feel but can be at the Atlanta airport in around 1hr 20 min and head anywhere in the world.  Had a family member that lived in the community and it’s highly enjoyable if the cost is palatable.

Good luck!

• Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 7:46 AM, vallygolf said:

As a west coaster, I cant think of anything less appealing in retirement than to work hard my whole life and look forward to the bay area.  As a former resident and frequent visitor it represents everything I want to get away from in retirement.  This has to be a trolling post.

I was thinking the same. That's why I selected the "sad" emoticon.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Hard to beat Scottsdale or NW Phoenix area (Surprise / Sun City West).

Edited by YMark

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

2 hours ago, tiderider said:

was thinking alabama, but no one gets excited about that, which is fine by me ... i played oxmoor valley today when the opening temp was 40 ... that's cold, but it's playable, esp if you're walking ... i would think nc's golf clubs can be a bit pricey ... 

I'm a member at Oxmoor and played Saturday morning.  We do have cool mornings here, but all in all it's decent all year.  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, Snowman9000 said:

Are they okay with you playing a lot during the couple of months?  I recall reading that some places want to sell you a non local membership but don't want you to use it very much.  I ask because your plan is something I've thought about looking into.

Each place is going to have different rules.  The rules I've seen have varied from reside less than 6 months of the year to limiting to only 8 rounds a year.  I figure I'll bring enough guests and spend enough on food and beverages that they'll be happy.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, Oriole05 said:

Schley - what's the title of that thread or what is it listed under?  Thanks!

West Coast if most likely out of the question.

Does anyone have any specific cities, or communities?

I moved from Manhattan to Portland, OR. Pretty good amount of nice courses, inexpensive country clubs, 4 hours from Bandon and good food. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S 8.1* - Ventus Black 6x

3W:  Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 14.1* - Kai'li Blue 70TX

5W:  TaylorMade SIM2 19* - Ventus Blue 7X

Irons (4-PW):  Callaway Apex TCB Raw - Oban CT-125 X-

Wedges:  Vokey 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.04A - Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X7 - BGT Stability Black

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, caniac6 said:

How is the Savannah area? We've spent time at HHI, so I know the weather can be a bit sticky in the summer. Is Savannah far enough from the coast to be fairly safe from hurricanes? We did consider The Landings, but it is surrounded by water, and only has an elevation of 10 feet. The cost of club membership was too high, as well.

Hey man, chiming in because I live in Savannah. 

I love this area (originally from the northeast). There is a lot to do and there is a nice balance of people in the surrounding area (blue collar, white collar, artsy, etc). 

weather in the summer is definitely sticky, I play year round. The heat doesn’t bother me as long as I tee off first thing. If I play in the afternoon during the summer it’s usually only 9 holes or so because it gets pretty hot.

as far as hurricanes, we have had 3 in the last 7 years. I only had to evacuate for 1 of the 3. Prior to that, we only had 1 in the last 20 years. Hurricanes don’t really bother me or concern me like I thought they would before moving here. 

the landings in my opinion is the premier club to join if you are retiring. Lots of variety in what you can do, and great golf. We met a couple during the last KF tour event, the husband is a golf course rater for GD, and chose to retire to the landings due to the variety and quality of the golf. 

if we stay here forever, that’s where I’ll be, too. 

• Like 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

I retired to Fort Myers Fl. and have no regrets. The golf is great. Pricey in the winter months but great from May till Dec.for golf. Really reasonable to play but a little warm but you can play 18 in about 3 hrs. In the summer (I know a little warm) but there are great deals on high end courses that are so cheap. The only problem is Real Estate is going through the roof now. Houses have doubled in price the last 2 years. If you love the beach and golf this is your place. Myrtle Beach would be my second choice.

Edited by pup142

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, Oriole05 said:

Schley - what's the title of that thread or what is it listed under?  Thanks!

West Coast if most likely out of the question.

Does anyone have any specific cities, or communities?

It depends upon if you're planning on splitting time between two places or not but I live in the midwest and recently bought a place in St. Augustine.  I'm not going to retire for probably 10 years but wanted to get the house paid for while I'm still earning because I'm planning on splitting time.  I also looked at Orange Park, FL which is a little closer to Jacksonville but found the house I wanted in St. Augustine.

The Jacksonville airport will get you wherever you need to fly to fast and there is a lot to do around Jacksonville.

Average temps in December and January are around 68.  Floridians think that's cold but I'm all over it. 

This is a tough question: not many places have year-round golf weather, outside of a Mediterranean or desert climate, which pretty much means the West Coast.  

I live in Dallas currently, and I can play in the summer; I usually walk with a sun umbrella. However, I need to stay hydrated and can take the heat. Most can't. The winters can be pretty damn cold and windy. I wouldn't consider it ideal. 

Now, maybe North Carolina or South Carolina would be a good choice.  Mostly year round golf, a bit more tolerable in the summer.  Living in the mountains of SC is an option, then driving down to the coast for frequent winter golf.  

Honestly, I don't know the golf scene in Europe, but Spain/Portugal/Italy sounds pretty damn good weather-wise.  Basically San Diego but with affordable costs of living.  

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, tiderider said:

I have spent a lot of time in Huntsville, and like it there.  "Cold" is relative (I don't mind playing in any temperature, so it doesn't bother me) and it isn't as hot as it is to the south. Plus, you can escape to the mountains; it is great for rock climbing, fly fishing, hiking, and mountain biking.  People are well-educated for the most part.  It is definitely a bubble though; you travel 20 miles and you see just how gullible people can be when they have never been receptive to or have not been taught how to build rational arguments and apply logic. It is crazy the things people will believe!  

5 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I have spent a lot of time in Huntsville, and like it there.  "Cold" is relative (I don't mind playing in any temperature, so it doesn't bother me) and it isn't as hot as it is to the south. Plus, you can escape to the mountains; it is great for rock climbing, fly fishing, hiking, and mountain biking.  People are well-educated for the most part.  It is definitely a bubble though; you travel 20 miles and you see just how gullible people can be when they have never been receptive to or have not been taught how to build rational arguments and apply logic. It is crazy the things people will believe!  

deftly stated

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, PJ Blake said:

I just retired on the Monterey Peninsula and couldn't be happier. Yes taxes and real estate are a bit higher, but to me its only money, and for the years I have left, its worth it. I cant imagine living anywhere else for the weather and beauty and golf. Now I'm sounding like Jim Nantz.

Guy said “affordability” in the topic. I can’t imagine an area less affordable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been thinking about this lately.  Southern Utah, Mesquite/Henderson Nevada, and Arizona are potentials, but popularity in recent years have made these locations less affordable.  And as much as I can't stand high humidity, S. Carolina to Florida are options.  I love northern Utah in summer (very low humidity) and the cost of golf is still very reasonable, but the area is growing too fast and becoming expensive.   

On 12/29/2021 at 4:32 PM, RoyalMustang said:

My sister and brother in law just moved to Huntsville from San Antonio and love it.  I was just there for Christmas and I thought the area was great.  Nice downtown area and some good golf close by.  Several nice little suburbs with quaint little towns and breweries.  We played The Highlands course which is part of the RTJ Trail and it was a nice links track in good condition.  It was 70 deg that day.  Sounds like the weather can be hit or miss in the winter though because my sister just sent me some pics from a couple days ago and they had snow on the ground.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:46 PM, T-MAC said:

My sister and brother in law just moved to Huntsville from San Antonio and love it.  I was just there for Christmas and I thought the area was great.  Nice downtown area and some good golf close by.  Several nice little suburbs with quaint little towns and breweries.  We played The Highlands course which is part of the RTJ Trail and it was a nice links track in good condition.  It was 70 deg that day.  Sounds like the weather can be hit or miss in the winter though because my sister just sent me some pics from a couple days ago and they had snow on the ground.

it's winter ... how's that a 'miss'? ... it melted ... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tiderider said:

No kidding.  I play 2-4 times a week all year long.  Winter of course has more cancelations than summer, but I still get in a lot of golf 12 months a year.  Played today and will play again tomorrow (as long as I can outrun the rain.)  High today in B'ham was 58.  Pretty pleasant until the last couple holes when the wind picked up a bit.  It isn't Hawaii or South Florida, but my taxes aren't as high as those areas either.  

5 hours ago, tiderider said:

You're right.  It IS winter and I guess some snow is expected there.  What I meant was, it's hit or miss on the number of days you can play golf there during the winter.
It's a "miss" for them coming from San Antonio.  I'm in Hilton Head SC so it would be a "miss" for me too if it snowed on a day I wanted to play golf.

Edited by T-MAC