Benefits of a simulator or launch monitor

playit

If you have either a launch monitor or simulator and like it, why? What all does it show, what all does it do for you? How do you use it? If it's improved your game, how do you think it has? And what model do you have?

And if anyone has a simulator, do you play a simulated round of golf with it? Ever with friends?

Sims have helped me dial in my yardages and have helped me identify any bad gaps that I have between clubs throughout the set.   I shoot for 15 yard gaps between clubs and being in a sim a decent amount has allowed me to fine tune that. 

I’m just using a cheap SC300 portable monitor that I take to the range once a week.  Bought it at Costco but it serves its purpose. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

With decent ranges/golf courses at least 30 minutes away from me I bought a Skytrak and have a mat and net in the backyard (in the shade since it hates direct sunlight).  I try to do a couple of 100ish shot practice sessions a week so when I get to the golf course I am just warming up at the range and not trying to practice and warm up at the same time.   I sometimes focus on wedges trying to hit specific yardages, it also helps me see what spin/yardages I am getting with different types of golf balls.   It is obviously not GC Quad accurate, but it reads fades/draws and the yardage is definitely close enough to be useful at the course.

Most of the time I try to hit some drivers/fairway woods, hybrid, and more irons and wedges.  Even if I don't have a lot of time just hitting 30-40 shots in the afternoon to keep the timing down it has been very helpful.   

When I first got it I was out there 4-5 days a week wanting to get the most out of it.  Tendonitis followed by elbow surgery (due to me being an idiot and not resting) taught me a valuable lesson that just because you have it does not mean you have to use it everyday.  I also dug out a base and filled it with a mix of dirt and sand so even hitting off of a mat is not so hard on the elbow. 

I originally had a trial to play online when I first bought it and if I had an indoor setup I might do it again.  However I really use it just to save the drive to the range and get my practice in and it has worked.  Down to a 7.8 handicap (hovered at 10-11 for years) and several rounds in the 70's this year so I am happy with it.  If/when we move I will definitely try to have enough room to move it indoors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, playit said:

If you have either a launch monitor or simulator and like it, why? What all does it show, what all does it do for you? How do you use it? If it's improved your game, how do you think it has? And what model do you have?

And if anyone has a simulator, do you play a simulated round of golf with it? Ever with friends?

A good launch monitor is a fabulous way to improve your game.

I has a driver path issue that was undiagnosed until I got onto a launch monitor. I went from literally not knowing where the ball was going off the tee with driver to a fairly consistent fairway finder.

It's important to get a LM monitor that actually MEASURES the club path (as minimum) in order to be able to use it this way. If you only get ball data the LM will make assumptions about path that aren't always accurate.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I don’t own a TM, GC Quad or Skytrack. My response might not be what you had in mind. I do own the Garmin G80 and Rhapsody MLM.  The G80 is always in my bag as it doubles as a GPS unit. The MLM I’ll use when I want to work on specific items / struggling in one area. 

I have access to a TM a few minutes from my house. I just cannot hit driver indoors. Never could never will. My form breaks down completely and the results are awful. So I use my own devices outdoors.  I use them for club head speed and tempo. I know how far everything is supposed to go. Recently I knew my club head speed was dropping with every club as my irons were 20 yards short and drives went nowhere. So I pulled out the MLM on the range and could see on video what was contributing to a 10 mph loss in club head speed. 

the real time information to me is invaluable. I love tweaking my swing and see right away what the ball flight result was and if it picked me up any additional speed. . Distance isn’t everything but it sure makes the game easier.  The same objective could be reached using just a plain swing radar and a camera mount for video. I do like the features of MLM though and will even export videos to Hudl technique for comparisons against pros. 

I will use TM for iron fitting as I have no issues hitting irons indoors. Drivers though always get tested on range and on course first before I buy. My local shop is great at letting me demo any head and shaft combo I want. 

I have a Sky Trak and had it since 2017. Even if I have been playing once a week in the last four years, my handicap has not been above 10 ever since. I would say that having the Sky Trak contributed to my progress and success. 

Do I like? Hell yes. It is convenient and I cannot remember the last time I purposely went to the driving range to work on something with my swing. I just go to my basement and work on my swing, rain or shine, whenever I want to. 

I usually hit golf balls on the range function at least once a week. I would hit my driver, three wood, hybrids, 7 iron, 9 iron, PW. I would also do wedge work from 100 yards to 15 yards. I play 18 holes every now and then at least once a week too. I also like to do the randomizer feature where it randomly spits out yardages. I would set it to 100 yards max and just use my wedges and play around with it. There was a time when I was hitting 300 wedges daily. LOL I did not hit any other club for a week and I played the weekend of that week and my swing was fine even if I was just doing wedge work. 

Every winter, I would work on my full swing. Especially the driver. Last winter I finally decided to fix my path issues. My miss is a slice and it took me three months to really ingrain the changes. I added about 10 - 20 yards on my average total distance with my driver because of the decreased spin. 

Sky Trak showed me how much I was losing with my out to in swing. I can see the difference in spin and side spin and the carry and total, compared to a more or close to neutral swing now that I have. 

Every winter, my buddies and I also play every weekend or every other weekend. It makes the winters more bearable. We have a tournament and it would be all winter long. 

Overall, for me, Sky Trak has been the huge difference in my game. I cannot imagine being where I am now without it. The two biggest things that I can see that I have improved is my driving and and my wedge game. I was able to dial my wedges from 100 yards to 10 yards. I was able to straighten my driver and gained accuracy and yards in the process. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 2

I hit balls every morning before work in my garage with my Mevo+ set up. It's helped me so much figuring out my swing and how far I actually hit my irons. My favorite thing to do is hit my wedges at the 125 and 100 yard targets. They've become a strong part of my game on the course. 10/10 I would recommend if you just enjoy swinging your clubs. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking of grabbing a Mevo+, but just not sure of the accuracy compared to a larger more expensive LM.

Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5 LAGP Tour AXS BLU 60X

TM Sim2 Max 15.0 Ventus Black Velocore 7x

TM M3 19.0 Diamana WB 80x

TM 2019 P790 4-P Project X 6.5 Taper

Vokey Sm8 50F 60M Project X 6.0 Taper

Cleveland Zipcore 54 Project X 6.0 Taper

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Bridgestone Tour B X (Testing Pro V1x Left Dash) 

1 hour ago, doc52 said:

I've been thinking of grabbing a Mevo+, but just not sure of the accuracy compared to a larger more expensive LM.

For $2k or 1600 on a special I don't think there's anything that can beat it. Yeah a uneekor or gc2 is better, but for me it's exactly what I want it to be. I'd say probably 90% of my shots feel accurate, with some spin issues with stuff like driver. My brother in law plays off a +3 and he says it's close enough to the gc4 he practices on at his coaches facility that he feels comfortable practicing on it. 

I am looking at the new Garmin if I can find room in my garage to set up a simulator. I would love a GC Quad or something with all the legit courses but I'm a cheap bastxxx. I think it would be cool when I can't get out to the club for less than a grand.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Also, to answer your second question. My general practice routine is to warm up on the range for 15 min and then play a round of golf. I have my quad set up to auto putt which gives me a score based on the average amounts of putts it takes from that distance. 18 holes takes me 40-45 min. This number will hold true of 40-45 min x number of golfers. Both my wife and neighbor occasionally play a round of golf on the sim with me and takes 90 min for two people. Again well worth it. No travel time and we can play year round.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Max LS* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW KBS Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/[email protected] & 61/[email protected] Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Ricky Johnson 506 Wide Body No. 2 Raw LA Golf TPZ One35 Black
Titleist Pro V1x #13

1 hour ago, ProjectX said:

Also, to answer your second question. My general practice routine is to warm up on the range for 15 min and then play a round of golf. I have my quad set up to auto putt which gives me a score based on the average amounts of putts it takes from that distance. 18 holes takes me 40-45 min. This number will hold true of 40-45 min x number of golfers. Both my wife and neighbor occasionally play a round of golf on the sim with me and takes 90 min for two people. Again well worth it. No travel time and we can play year round.

Excellent points - no drive time, no waiting on slower players, no issue with being pushed by faster players behind you, no searching for wayward balls, and no lost balls. 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:50 PM, JAM01 said:

Excellent points - no drive time, no waiting on slower players, no issue with being pushed by faster players behind you, no searching for wayward balls, and no lost balls. 

Yeah, to be honest the only thing that holds me back from going even faster sometimes is waiting for the ball to stop rolling or the shot to finish so the next shot can load. For instance when I miss the green and know I missed it I usually have my wedge in hand waiting to hit the next shot before the ball even lands. If there was a way to fast forward to the end of the shot I could probably play under 40 minutes every round. 

Callaway Epic Max LS* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW KBS Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/[email protected] & 61/[email protected] Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Ricky Johnson 506 Wide Body No. 2 Raw LA Golf TPZ One35 Black
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• 4 weeks later...