The Grip Master

PilotSports

Wondering if anyone has experience with The Grip Master golf grips? I’ve tried every grip imaginable to help with my sweaty hands save these. Are they really as amazing as I’ve heard? Last as long as some say they do? They’re quite expensive, so want to get as much feedback possible before making the investment. Thanks! 

I prefer BestGrips Microperf grips.  I game the Augusta Microperf grip (sold every spring).  These are Masters Green with yellow stitching.  The stitching on the back takes a little time getting used to but becomes unnoticeable soon enough.  Sweaty or damp hands aren’t a problem for these grips.  

https://bestgrips.com/collections/club-grips/products/microperf-leather-golf-grip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

They are very good grips.  I play 25 times a year and am into my 4th season with them. No wear at all.

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges
Odyssey Two-Ball Ten Tour Lined putter

Penalty Box: PXG OG 0211 irons, Ping Sigma 2 Craz-E putter

Tested leather grips last year, picked up a couple Best Grips Microperfs, and a couple GripMaster Roos.  Both are outstanding in humid conditions and when there's moisture in play.  I never worry about how damp/wet my hands are before any shot, grip is secure.  

They mention being able to play without a glove with leather, but I still do.  It will lock in place quite nicely.

I chose the GripMasters, but the Best Grips were a #1A for me to the GripMaster #1.  I could easily play them as well.

They even seem to get tackler just sitting in the bag in slightly humid air.

I've also tried the Kidd Grips on another set, and have a couple clubs with the Perforated Leather grip.  Both are good, but the Roo is best IMHO.  The Kidd and Perf Leather are slightly less tacky than the Roo but both will tack up well when moisture and/or humidity comes into play.

I have leather on all 14 clubs at the moment.

Sidenote:  the seam on these doesn't bother me.  I've never liked ribbed Grips, but I barely notice the stitching.  I don't even bother to reposition the Grips on my adjustable clubs , if I change their loft. (I use an air compressor to install them)

Finally, I can't speak to durability, this is only my first season with leather. 

Can't say enough good things about them.  They're amazing.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

11 hours ago, PilotSports said:

Wondering if anyone has experience with The Grip Master golf grips? I’ve tried every grip imaginable to help with my sweaty hands save these. Are they really as amazing as I’ve heard? Last as long as some say they do? They’re quite expensive, so want to get as much feedback possible before making the investment. Thanks! 

If you're planning on keeping your current clubs you'll not find a better grip.

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001  7-P                                  MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

I played Gripmasters for about 10 years and found them to be an outstanding grip from both feel and durability standpoints.  They are the best grip out there if you do not use a golf glove.  You might want to try just a couple to start, maybe a short iron and a wood to see if you like the feel given their expense.  Couple things that you should b aware of if you are not already: Gripmasters and even more so, Bestgrips, are significantly larger and less tapered than a similar sized Golf Pride grip, might be perfect for your needs, might not.  Secondly,  Gripmasters feel like a baseball bat with pine tar on it, very good tackiness in humid conditions but it does leave schmutz  on your hands and makes a white glove a bit nasty after 2 rounds.  Again great if you play without a glove.  The only other issue I ever had with them is I used to play a lot of winter golf in the mid-atlantic (now retired and live in Arizona in winters) and leather grips get hard as a rock in colder conditions, even more so than rubber in my experience.  I used to blow the Gripmasters off my clubs in the dead of winter and played Iomic sticky 2.3s.  Eventually went back to using a golf glove and play the Iomics year round now.

Not trying to deter you from trying as they are excellent grips, just wanted you to have some overall feedback and encourage you try a couple before outlaying the cash for a full set.  

• Like 1

I play all Grip Master leather, putter included. Kangaroo leather grips are the best ones IMO. I love them and will never play rubber again. Expensive but worth it. 

WITB
Ping G10 Driver-Aldila NVS
TM 200 Steel 3W- Evenflow Red

Adams Idea 3 & 5 Hybrids-Prolaunch Axis
Adams Idea 6-SW- Dy Gold
Ping Eye 2 SW- Dy Gold 
Nike VR Forged LW- Dy Gold 
Odyssey DFX 1100
Pro V1X

TGM Roo leather grips

1 hour ago, golfschnell said:

I played Gripmasters for about 10 years and found them to be an outstanding grip from both feel and durability standpoints.  They are the best grip out there if you do not use a golf glove.  You might want to try just a couple to start, maybe a short iron and a wood to see if you like the feel given their expense.  Couple things that you should b aware of if you are not already: Gripmasters and even more so, Bestgrips, are significantly larger and less tapered than a similar sized Golf Pride grip, might be perfect for your needs, might not.  Secondly,  Gripmasters feel like a baseball bat with pine tar on it, very good tackiness in humid conditions but it does leave schmutz  on your hands and makes a white glove a bit nasty after 2 rounds.  Again great if you play without a glove.  The only other issue I ever had with them is I used to play a lot of winter golf in the mid-atlantic (now retired and live in Arizona in winters) and leather grips get hard as a rock in colder conditions, even more so than rubber in my experience.  I used to blow the Gripmasters off my clubs in the dead of winter and played Iomic sticky 2.3s.  Eventually went back to using a golf glove and play the Iomics year round now.

Not trying to deter you from trying as they are excellent grips, just wanted you to have some overall feedback and encourage you try a couple before outlaying the cash for a full set.  

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I’ve got one of the roo grips on my PW, and a master perforated on my 7i. After a long 3 hour range session today I can say they both feel amazing! The roo feels a bit better, tackier. I prefer a firm grip so the fact they get really firm in winter is no problem. Only problem is they’re $23 per grip! 

How long did yours last before having to change them out? What about the tackiness? Is it gonna fade away after a month or two? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotSports said:

What about the tackiness? Is it gonna fade away after a month or two? 

I've been playing mine for a full season, a couple clubs since last year.  No loss of tackiness.

The Best Grips Microperfs I have on two clubs, when I pick them up, they're as good (tacky) as they've ever been.

Side note:  Best Grips grips run a bit larger.  I wear cadet medium glove, based on their recommendation, I bought the undersize grip.  They felt like the standard size I'm used to.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"

I got just under 10 years out of my last set of signature calbretta grips. Sounds like size is no problem for you and you like the feel, so I would recommend the Roos, the perforated to me looks more cheaply made and doubt would last as long, so invest in the higher quality grip and put them on with air because they will last longer than the clubs they are on, particularly if you are a true grx-er🤠 The tac is impregnated in the leather so it bounces back with a good cleaning. I also bought extra tac “juice” from Gripmaster in Australia when my grips were about 7 years old and that really brought them back to super tacky. Not sure if they sell that anymore though. You will easily get years out of your grips, particularly if you clean them thoroughly about once a month. I used to scrub them monthly with the same leather soap I use on my wife’s saddle, worked great. Let us know how it works after you regrip all your stix

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PilotSports said:

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I’ve got one of the roo grips on my PW, and a master perforated on my 7i. After a long 3 hour range session today I can say they both feel amazing! The roo feels a bit better, tackier. I prefer a firm grip so the fact they get really firm in winter is no problem. Only problem is they’re $23 per grip! 

How long did yours last before having to change them out? What about the tackiness? Is it gonna fade away after a month or two? 

Check out Golf Shafts of America. Last i got were $14 each. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I prefer BestGrips Microperf grips.  I game the Augusta Microperf grip (sold every spring).  These are Masters Green with yellow stitching.  The stitching on the back takes a little time getting used to but becomes unnoticeable soon enough.  Sweaty or damp hands aren’t a problem for these grips.  

https://bestgrips.com/collections/club-grips/products/microperf-leather-golf-grip

Agreed. I have had BestGrips Classic Leather with drytac for... 5 years? They are still awesome. I just move them from set to set. I do agree that they are a bit larger in diameter than I expected. I am considering buying another set except in the Undersize.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

GolfWorks shows the Roo grip as being 46g in standard size, 54g midsize. 

They *do* change your swingweight, but it's the grip gap that's the cause, nothing about the weight.  The cap adds length to the club for the swingweight scale, but it's not real playing length (IMHO anyway).  I've been checking my clubs for swingweight with a cut off grip, and then installing the leather.

If I'd been clever, I would have committed the swingweight difference to memory, but I haven't.  🙄

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:51 PM, Double Dodger said:

Check out Golf Shafts of America. Last i got were $14 each. 

Just checked and they are out of stock

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001  7-P                                  MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

On 10/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, golfschnell said:

I used to scrub them monthly with the same leather soap I use on my wife’s saddle

The care instructions I've seen say to only use water, no detergents or solvents.

• Like 2

Yeah I was told just water, no soap of any kind. 1 season so far, just like new, love them. 

Edited by kwcsports
  • Like 1

WITB
Ping G10 Driver-Aldila NVS
TM 200 Steel 3W- Evenflow Red

Adams Idea 3 & 5 Hybrids-Prolaunch Axis
Adams Idea 6-SW- Dy Gold
Ping Eye 2 SW- Dy Gold 
Nike VR Forged LW- Dy Gold 
Odyssey DFX 1100
Pro V1X

TGM Roo leather grips

Long-time leather user here. I have GM and BG and will attest that both are quality products. For care of the grips, occasional rubbing with a wet towel keeps them tacky and supple. IF you get a set and they seem too tacky, you can wrap each grip in newspaper for about 3-4 days and it will pull some of the tack out. I learned this from buying some seconds from GM years ago and asking them what I could do. It worked fine and the grips were great afterwards.

The leather will hold up for several years. I play a lot and have had the grips on my woods and irons on them for 3-4 yrs. The one issue I have seen with both brands is the b u t t caps rubbing through on the sides. I fixed this by installing a bit of shrink tubing around each b u t t cap (shown on pg 6 of this thread) The final pics are with 1" shrink tubing, but it was pretty tough to get over the cap. 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" would be ideal. But they really don't start wearing for a year or two.

Models I use are GM Roos (med tacky), GM Master Perforated very tacky), GM Master Tour Perf Wrap (very tacky) & BG Micro Perf (med tacky). I also use leather grips on my putters, but I don't really like my putter grip to be tacky, so I use the GM Treble (Red, White & Blue), GM Roo and the non perforated putter grips from Best Grips and wrap them in newspaper if they have any tack.  

I install my leather grips using blue painters tape, mild dishwashing soap solution in spray bottle and air. I have heard of some bad DS Tape/solvent installs where the grips got soaked with solvent and it caused them to be slick until they were cleaned. I have no problems with mine staying put. You can only go up to 4 wraps of tape max because these grips don't stretch like rubber composite grips do. Someone asked if these grips are firm, standard size over 3-4 wraps are really firm. If you want midsize grips, I urge you to by them instead of trying to build up standard grips too much. One option for those who want custom buildup is to by the underlast and wraps separately from Golfworks. They are the only place they can be bought that way in the US. Also, Best Grips have what they call Pro Taper which has a slightly larger diameter under the lower hand. Be aware of this when ordering them.

BT

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

On 10/3/2021 at 4:52 AM, PilotSports said:

i love  the feel of leather but dont like the1/2 inch  at the top which is wider and  harder

makes you  want to lengthen your clubs and grip down beyond  it?

I'm a fan of TGM micro perf,  great option if you like a sticky grip.  Size is normal and doesn't seem to affect weighting for me. 

I've only had to replace one in 3+ years, that was a driver grip that lost some tack after about 2 years and was noticeably smoother than the others.  They can cause clubs to get stuck together in the bag if you use a small diameter bag and the end cap flipping up can be a slight annoyance.

As mentioned, they are pricey so probably don't make sense if you don't keep your clubs for a while unless you're able to do your own grip swaps.  

Callaway Epic Speed 9* / Ventus Blue 6-S
Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX75f-S

PXG Gen2 19* & 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S
Mizuno S18 52* 
Callaway Full Toe 58*

Odyssey Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2021 at 6:21 AM, NRJyzr said:

Tested leather grips last year, picked up a couple Best Grips Microperfs, and a couple GripMaster Roos.  Both are outstanding in humid conditions and when there's moisture in play.  I never worry about how damp/wet my hands are before any shot, grip is secure.  

They mention being able to play without a glove with leather, but I still do.  It will lock in place quite nicely.

I chose the GripMasters, but the Best Grips were a #1A for me to the GripMaster #1.  I could easily play them as well.

They even seem to get tackler just sitting in the bag in slightly humid air.

I've also tried the Kidd Grips on another set, and have a couple clubs with the Perforated Leather grip.  Both are good, but the Roo is best IMHO.  The Kidd and Perf Leather are slightly less tacky than the Roo but both will tack up well when moisture and/or humidity comes into play.

I have leather on all 14 clubs at the moment.

Sidenote:  the seam on these doesn't bother me.  I've never liked ribbed Grips, but I barely notice the stitching.  I don't even bother to reposition the Grips on my adjustable clubs , if I change their loft. (I use an air compressor to install them)

Finally, I can't speak to durability, this is only my first season with leather. 

Can't say enough good things about them.  They're amazing.

Which one of al the grips you tested was the "firmest"?

7 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

Which one of al the grips you tested was the "firmest"?

Either the Best Grips Microperf or the GripMaster Master Perforated leather.  They seem relatively close to each other, to me, anyway.

• Like 1