Looking for a new 5 wood ……

texas_golfer

I'm loving the radspeed in both 3w and 5w. I have nothing negative to say about them, on good swings they are amazing and on bad swings they still go pretty far. Good enough for me to keep em around for a while :)

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 Driver 8Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 60G X

Cobra King Radspeed 3w 15.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Radspeed 5w 18.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Forged Utility 3i 18.5Project X Catalyst 80G X

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid 22.5Mitsubishi MMT 80G X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 Irons 5i-PW Project X 6.5 IO 115G X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 58o Wedges Project X 6.0 120G S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X5R Putter 

I have a TSi2 3 wood on order, but the Epic Flash and Sub Zero fairways are absolutely legit. The SZ especially for the flatter lie angle, shallower face and adjustable front/back weight. My SZ 5w has a permanent place in the bag and will have one for at least a few years to come. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On 10/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, Mobert19 said:

This forum is sickening. It just made me order a tsi2 5 wood when I have a tsi3 3 wood and 19 degree G425 hybrid. This place is bad news. 

Funny, I have the 917 F2 fairway and the G425 hybrid (love both) and bought a Tsi 5 wood with the RDX Smoke shaft.  It's a nice head but the jury is out.  Haven't been as consistent with it as I'd hoped.  Lovely looking club and feels great.  I'm also around a 4 index.  I also have an i25 5 wood which is excellent and had no need to buy a new 5 wood but was curious given the rave reviews and got a good deal.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

1 hour ago, beluga99 said:

Funny, I have the 917 F2 fairway and the G425 hybrid (love both) and bought a Tsi 5 wood with the RDX Smoke shaft.  It's a nice head but the jury is out.  Haven't been as consistent with it as I'd hoped.  Lovely looking club and feels great.  I'm also around a 4 index.  I also have an i25 5 wood which is excellent and had no need to buy a new 5 wood but was curious given the rave reviews and got a good deal.

Interesting. I have the TSi3 3 wood with a Smoke Blue RDX 6.0. I’m really interested in comparing it against the Smoke black rdx in the new 5 wood. 

15 hours ago, beluga99 said:

Which shafts are you testing in these? My TSI2 5 wood changed dramatically when I got the 70 g RDX out… And put in an 83g Diamana.  It’s now my favorite club.  But that shaft change was BIG for me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Full Monte said:

Which shafts are you testing in these? My TSI2 5 wood changed dramatically when I got the 70 g RDX out… And put in an 83g Diamana.  It’s now my favorite club.  But that shaft change was BIG for me

I just bought it on a whim, as it was a good deal.  I really liked the Smoke Black (non RDX) in the Titleist driver, but not so much the RDX.  I'm not a big shaft guy with feels, and loading etc.. but I do know what works for me.  I think there's some merit in your comment on the shaft as I'm not quite jiving with the RDX in the 5 wood.  Thanks for the tip.  I like the Diamanas and the Tour Green Aldila shaft in previous fairways, so may give them a go.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

On 10/6/2021 at 10:18 PM, GooseHook said:

I have a TSi2 3 wood on order, but the Epic Flash and Sub Zero fairways are absolutely legit. The SZ especially for the flatter lie angle, shallower face and adjustable front/back weight. My SZ 5w has a permanent place in the bag and will have one for at least a few years to come. 

+1. The OG Epic SZ fairway and Epic Flash SZ fairway remain contenders. They are very forgiving with the heavier weight back and they go and go. I still like the look of the original Epic. Straddles that line of being sleek but just the right face height. I don’t like tall faces off turf. Epic Flash is an evolution with more tech — jailbreak and Flash Face. The Epic Flash SZ 5 wood is unreal. 

Of the other newer stuff, there are so many good ones. My favorites in combining easy to hit with great accuracy are the Titleist TS2 or TSi2, Ping g425 may be their best fairway in years, Srixon ZX heads with their Graphite Design upgrades commonly seen are excellent. And IMO, just take your pick of the Callaway heads based on preferred size and shape. I am currently trying out Titleist TS2 and 917 heads against a Callaway Rogue and my trusty OG Epic SZ. All 4 woods. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

25 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Srixon ZX heads with their Graphite Design upgrades commonly seen are excellent.

Just curious about this because I wasn’t aware this is commonly seen — I see Srixon offers a lot of great premium shafts at an upcharge of only $175. Is there a reason you see Graphite Design shafts as a common pairing with ZX heads compared to, for example, Fujikura? 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

6 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Just curious about this because I wasn’t aware this is commonly seen — I see Srixon offers a lot of great premium shafts at an upcharge of only $175. Is there a reason you see Graphite Design shafts as a common pairing with ZX heads compared to, for example, Fujikura? 

No idea. But I’ve seen a number of them for sale with AD DI shafts. There was a 5 wood ZX with an AD DI 7x on the BST yesterday. And I have a ZX 3 wood with an AD DI 7S that I picked up barely used for a good price, mainly to try that shaft in a fairway. And it performs great, though I think I am sticking with a 4 wood. Could be that the $175 Srixon upcharge is still half the retail price of that shaft. Srixon generally has a nice shaft selection and good deals on premium choices. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmeeksDC said:

No idea. But I’ve seen a number of them for sale with AD DI shafts. There was a 5 wood ZX with an AD DI 7x on the BST yesterday. And I have a ZX 3 wood with an AD DI 7S that I picked up barely used for a good price, mainly to try that shaft in a fairway. And it performs great, though I think I am sticking with a 4 wood. Could be that the $175 Srixon upcharge is still half the retail price of that shaft. Srixon generally has a nice shaft selection and good deals on premium choices. 

Yeah I’m planning to try the AD DI in a fairway in the near future too, that’s why this piqued my interest! It fits the profile that works for me. Hope to try the AD IZ as well. This is the last spot in my bag that I really haven’t solved, so I’m reading this thread with interest.

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

16 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Yeah I’m planning to try the AD DI in a fairway in the near future too, that’s why this piqued my interest! It fits the profile that works for me. Hope to try the AD IZ as well. This is the last spot in my bag that I really haven’t solved, so I’m reading this thread with interest.

Those are two great fairway shafts. I am trying both right now. I am having fun hitting them. The IZ is straight as a rope for me. 

23 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Those are two great fairway shafts. I am trying both right now. I am having fun hitting them. The IZ is straight as a rope for me. 

How would you compare their feel? Any noticeable differences in launch or spin? Sounds like the IZ is winning in terms of dispersion!

Sorry, that’s my last couple of questions, don’t mean to thread hijack.

3 minutes ago, eric61 said:

How would you compare their feel? Any noticeable differences in launch or spin? Sounds like the IZ is winning in terms of dispersion!

Sorry, that’s my last couple of questions, don’t mean to thread hijack.

Still early. The DI has more kick, really feels like it throws the ball out there. It feels so nice when you nail one. 

The IZ is more one-piece, feels a little stiffer at the same weight and flex. Powerful. Really interesting how different they feel to me. 

I took them both on the course on Tuesday. Hit them both well. That Srixon 3 wood is one of the best easier I have found off turf. It just looks like it will take the ball right off and it does. The IZ is in a Titleist TS2 16.5 4 wood. I mean, that’s a point and shoot weapon. 

• Thanks 1

Previous setup:  Driver 10.5 TS1 Fuji Aerolite, TaylorMade Sim 2 3 wood, old fave Cobra S1 5 wood, Mizuno CLX hybrids 23 and 26 degree

Replaced with:  Driver 10.5 PXG 0211s (gained 3-5 yards)Evenflow 50G Blue, Ping G 410 3 wood at 16.5 degrees (Alta CB WITH TURBULATORS which I think help with alignment and club speed--mucho better than the TaylorMade off tight lies)

And finally--Wanna throw darts into those long par 3's?:  Callaway V-series 19 degree 5 wood and, the magic club---Callaway V-series 22 degree Heavenwood.  The Heavenwood is the key in the lock.  42 " shaft.Almost unfair to have this club in the bag ! The Callies have the stock Bassara R shafts.  Ping G 410 23  hybrids set at 23 and 26 

I play in the desert.  You gotta fly the canyons and stop the ball on firm greens.  This setup lets me do just that !

If the F9 is considered old then the Nike Vr Pro Ltd Ed I have in my bag might as well be in a museum. I’ve flirted with virtually everything released since then and I can’t find anything that I can hit as well. Even with the 3 wood, I have an old r7TP titanium that goes in when whatever flavor of the month club is in that spot goes south. It’s amazing what getting comfortable with a club can do. 

The closest thing that’s come to replacing the Vr is the original SIM Ti. Only thing is that it goes way too far. 

Taylormade M5 9.0° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke 
Taylormade r7 TP 13° w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 80 
Taylormade UDI TP 18° w/ KBS C-Taper S
Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-P w/ Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold S400
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

On 10/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, Jlb123 said:

I love the sim 2 ti 5wd. Very compact and easy to hit from most lies. 

This. 3w distance( play it at 19), 7 wood-like compact looks, hybrid-like capabilities from the rough. awesome from fairway for approach shots.  A little shallow but fine off the tee.  Has Flatter lie angle which I need.  

• Like 1

Just got my STZ 5 wood today. Perfectly fills the gap in my bag. Easy to swing, easy to launch, satisfying feel. Straight as an arrow, too.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

On 10/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, beluga99 said:

I just bought it on a whim, as it was a good deal.  I really liked the Smoke Black (non RDX) in the Titleist driver, but not so much the RDX.  I'm not a big shaft guy with feels, and loading etc.. but I do know what works for me.  I think there's some merit in your comment on the shaft as I'm not quite jiving with the RDX in the 5 wood.  Thanks for the tip.  I like the Diamanas and the Tour Green Aldila shaft in previous fairways, so may give them a go.

I learned a lot during the driver process. I did a lot of research prior to a demo…thought the RDX was gonna be the right fit, and had the Tensei White as a backup.  30-40 balls with the HZRDUS and it was complete dogcrap.  I actually left the store.  Went back again the next week, threw the Tensei in…and it was a completely different club.  Night and day difference with the different shaft.  That driver has been absolute NAILS for me…and the reason I went snd bought a TSi2 5 wood AND hybrid.  They’re that good.  

this just arrived for the 5 wood yesterday actually

50BCCA82-052F-43F8-84AF-E5F988886E25.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread has me really considering picking up a 5 wood to put in place of my hybrid and with TGW having the AD DI available for no upcharge on the TSi 2 and 3 I just might pull the trigger.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

13 minutes ago, cbrwn425 said:

This thread has me really considering picking up a 5 wood to put in place of my hybrid and with TGW having the AD DI available for no upcharge on the TSi 2 and 3 I just might pull the trigger.

I thought the AD DI no upcharge is no longer valid...am I doing something wrong when I try to order one online?

-M

Driver: Mizuno ST-X

FW: TaylorMade Sim2 Ti (5 wood)

Hybrid: PXG Proto

Irons: Srixon ZX-5

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 (54* & 58*)

Putter: Cameron Squareback 2

9 minutes ago, mlp021 said:

I thought the AD DI no upcharge is no longer valid...am I doing something wrong when I try to order one online?

-M

I just checked it and it was showing $0 for the orange and an up charge for the black. I didn’t try to place the order though. Looks like it's only the TSi3 that has it for no up charge.

Edited by cbrwn425
  • Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

44 minutes ago, cbrwn425 said:

I just checked it and it was showing $0 for the orange and an up charge for the black. I didn’t try to place the order though. Looks like it's only the TSi3 that has it for no up charge.

Wow, you're right, and free shipping so this turns out to be a pretty incredible deal. I just ordered one. Figured with the incredible discount on the AD DI and their mulligan buy-back, there's really not much to lose.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, Bubb said:

I just picked up a Tour Edge C721 5-wood and was so impressed that I ordered a matching 3-wood as well. Hzrdus blue shaft is great.

How is the 5 wood with that shaft? I have the same head/shaft combo in the 3w as you do. Looking at new 5 woods as mine seemingly likes being in extended time out.

Though quite frankly, if the nearly 40 page v steel thread is any indication, maybe I should start there.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:58 AM, The Full Monte said:

I learned a lot during the driver process. I did a lot of research prior to a demo…thought the RDX was gonna be the right fit, and had the Tensei White as a backup.  30-40 balls with the HZRDUS and it was complete dogcrap.  I actually left the store.  Went back again the next week, threw the Tensei in…and it was a completely different club.  Night and day difference with the different shaft.  That driver has been absolute NAILS for me…and the reason I went snd bought a TSi2 5 wood AND hybrid.  They’re that good.  

this just arrived for the 5 wood yesterday actually

50BCCA82-052F-43F8-84AF-E5F988886E25.jpeg

yeah I'm running the tensei raw white 85g in Tsi driver 3-wood and 5-wood with +4g in the heads, absolutely love how it feels but I've always been a sucker for heavy clubs so other's mileage may vary

Edited by tofur99

11 hours ago, hartman29 said:

How is the 5 wood with that shaft? I have the same head/shaft combo in the 3w as you do. Looking at new 5 woods as mine seemingly likes being in extended time out.

Though quite frankly, if the nearly 40 page v steel thread is any indication, maybe I should start there.

It’s frankly too much shaft for my swing speed but I picked that shaft to help mitigate hooks, which it does. I picked up the matching 3 wood with the same shaft.