Course rating vs score

Last week I shot my lowest round ever. I felt great afterwards, strutting my stuff and all while acting cool like I have been there before. That being said it was also the 1st time time I played the white tees (they were doing fall maintenance on the blue and black tees at day, and switching to do the reds and whites later that week). 

Anyway I've always scored better relative to rating from the further back tees, eg. if rated 67 from whites and 74 from blacks, I generally can be in the 75 range (72-80ish) from the blacks maybe i figure about 3 shots better moving up.

Anyway, I fired a 65 (6 under, 4 birdies and an eagle hitting 17 greens) from the whites. The front is rated 67.5/118 slope at 5700 yards. Until I realized that I have shot 70 twice this year from the back, 73.3/131 rating at 6900 yards. 

So via this metric the 65 was a worse score (2.5 under course rating) than my 70 (3.3 under rating). It just got me really confused, as I felt way cooler carding the 65, I felt good after the 70s sure but the 65 was a different feeling. That being said golf is very different when you are flipping wedges into greens instead of sweating in 6irons, though playing whites made me feel a bit dirty, though having 9 threes on the card is pretty cool too.

What do other people feel, better scores relative to rating on forward tees, mid tees or tips? I'll stick to the tips if I can break 70 from there I will do back flips.

Ping 425 max 9* set to 8* flat Tensei CK orange X

Mizuno ST-Z 5 wood, set to 16* Tensei CK blue X

Adams idea Pro 3&4 hybrid Adila proto X

Srixon ZX-7 5-GW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Callaway forged Jaws 56,60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 34"

Titleist AVX

I usually don't keep score, but did on Sunday. I shot a 2 under with 3 birds and only the one bogey for 9 holes. I bogeyed 9 because I was thinking about it (I haven't gotten any bogeys...). 🤣

I just looked and it's rated at a 32.4 (par 36), so I don't feel nearly as cool now. Thanks.

• Haha 3

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I know the 70 is technically the better round, but I have to imagine that the 65 was way more fun.  You still had to execute and hit all the shots. I think people get too hung up in stretching the course out and making it as hard as possible. Sometimes it's really fun to play forward and see if you can go low.  

I honestly think that playing an easier course and shooting your lowest scores is still good for your mental game and hell, your game in general. 

I say nice round

I consider the course rating my "par".  Although to be honest, shooting 63 from the forward tees is much more difficult than shooting 73 from the back.

I still like carding scores that have a lot of circles on the card however....way more fun!

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

As somebody who loses their strokes putting and wins them back in the long game with distance and accuracy, I find it much harder to shoot the rating on a 67 rated short course than a 75 rated long course.

When I first got my handicap this year I was playing a lot on a course rated 75 from the backs where the difficulty is distance. No problem at all to shoot around that number when you blast it 330. Started at a +1.2

Have since collated most of my rounds on a par 70 shorter course rated at 67 and handicap has trended up since. Doesn't matter how short the course is you still have to make the putts, and you gotta make a lot more when you need to be 3 or 4 under to play at scratch.

That being said, I think your 65 is a cooler score and I wouldn't discount the difficulty in shooting under a rating just because the number gets lower. Unless you're talking a real goofy golf course I'm almost entirely convinced that it's harder to get around a course in 65 shots than 71 regardless of the differential

Edited by rooski
  • Like 2

Driver Cobra RadSpeed 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

3w: Cobra RadSpeed 14.5* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

5w: Cobra F9 18.5* / UST Proforce V2 7F4

Utility Srixon ZX 18* / Fujikura Ventus Black HB 10TX
Irons:  Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-PW / Project X LS 6.5
Wedges:  Mizuno T20 Raw 50, 54, 58 / Project X LS 6.0

Putter: Cameron Studio Style NewportOdyssey Big #7 Armlock

Similar boat for me... if I play the tips my hcp goes down and my scores might go up one or two.  My iron game sucks so if I play up to the whites (we go tips/blue/white/red/gold) my score stays the same as on the blues but my hcp goes up because the course rating goes from a 74.x from the tips to a 68.x from the whites.  But regardless of that, sometimes it's just a lot of fun playing from the whites... like you mentioned it's a good time looking at 80 yard wedges into the green instead of 160 yard 7 irons.

-Mag

Someone said earlier: the rating is par for me, regardless of length. When healthy, I am usually somewhere between three under the rating and five over the rating. Doesn't really matter how long course is. If a course is long and has a high rating and the slope is very high, then my high scores will be higher maybe up to seven or eight over the course rating if I play poorly. But I can still shoot for three or four under the course rating if I play well.

Pretty simple. 🙂

Edited by Obee
  • Like 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

32 minutes ago, isaacbm said:

There’s one course in my hometown that is rated 64.2. It’s tree-lined, the greens are tiny and slope extremely hard from back to front, and the conditions are not especially good. The chance of me posting a 58 there is basically zero. So in order for me to be a +4 Handicap, I would only have to shoot the occasional 71 on the long course. 

I think for this reason that course rating definitely favors distance as the primary metric too much.

Especially because (as a general rule in at least my area), the short courses are the ones that don't have as much money or land so the greenskeeping is questionable at best. Not only in course conditions, but quite often on one course around here they will put pins in such heinous locations that I have to believe the greenskeeper doesn't know what he's doing or is just laughing.

We're talking like directly on a 45* ridge right in the middle.

When I go out and shoot -2 on 18 here and feel I played quite well given the conditions, I just roll my eyes when I post the score and its a positive diff

• Like 1

Driver Cobra RadSpeed 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

3w: Cobra RadSpeed 14.5* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

5w: Cobra F9 18.5* / UST Proforce V2 7F4

Utility Srixon ZX 18* / Fujikura Ventus Black HB 10TX
Irons:  Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-PW / Project X LS 6.5
Wedges:  Mizuno T20 Raw 50, 54, 58 / Project X LS 6.0

Putter: Cameron Studio Style NewportOdyssey Big #7 Armlock

49 minutes ago, Obee said:

Someone said earlier: the rating is par for me, regardless of length. When healthy, I am usually somewhere between three under the rating and five over the rating. Doesn't really matter how long course is. If a course is long and has a high rating and the slope is very high, then my high scores will be higher maybe up to seven or eight over the course rating if I play poorly. But I can still shoot for three or four under the course rating if I play well.

Pretty simple. 🙂

So you don’t find that there’s a significant difference where the scores that count for your handicap come from?

I find that 99% of my lowest differentials are on courses with ratings of 74 or higher.

I almost never have a real low differential from a short course or at a course with a low rating. 
    No matter how you look at it I don’t care how easy they rate the course, it’s very difficult to shoot 7 under par.  But if the course is rated 77 it’s not nearly as difficult to shoot 2 under par to get the same differential.  

I think distance is way too heavily equated for when it comes to rating golf courses. But maybe that’s only because I’m still relatively long for my age. I still carry the ball 275 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Per the USGA Course rating manual, "course rating is based on measured length, effective playing length corrections, and 10 obstacle factors".

It's pretty obvious why distance would be the main factor: If a player cannot reach a hole or is hitting a longer shot into a green, then more obstacles come into play, making the rating higher.

• Like 4

I agree it's generally easier to shoot a good differential on a higher course rating (within reason). No matter how short a course is, it's hard to get the ball in the hole. If you need to shoot 67 to match the rating, that means 5+ birdies, which just isn't an easy thing to do even if you have a flip wedge into the green regularly.  Making pars on a 74 rated course seems to be easier, at least for me. This could be a sign that my wedge games isn't as good as it should be, which is certainly possible, but I do agree this is a potential weakness in the handicap system (at least for someone who drives the ball 275+).  

That said, I may try to play the forward tees in the near future and test this, cause I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

@isaacbm I'd like to see some data on this. Scores from real golfers on courses with golfer handicaps and course ratings/slopes all over the map. My guess is that the rating/slope "system" will hold up relatively well and we will see scores fall into place nicely on a bell curve as adjusted for rating/slope, regardless of the length of the course.

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff

Just now, dvq9654 said:

I agree it's generally easier to shoot a good differential on a higher course rating (within reason). No matter how short a course is, it's hard to get the ball in the hole. If you need to shoot 67 to match the rating, that means 5+ birdies, which just isn't an easy thing to do even if you have a flip wedge into the green regularly.  Making pars on a 74 rated course seems to be easier, at least for me. This could be a sign that my wedge games isn't as good as it should be, which is certainly possible, but I do agree this is a potential weakness in the handicap system (at least for someone who drives the ball 275+).  

That said, I may try to play the forward tees in the near future and test this, cause I could be wrong. 

Here's what I believe you will find:

Play the short course -- and as long as the slope is also low (120 or less?) -- I believe you will find that your scores are all clustered much more so than on a longer course with a high slope. In other words, the variability of your scores on a short, easy, (low slope) course will be very small.

Take a course of 5900 yards with a par of 71 and a rating of 68.4 and a slope of 117. You are probably going to shoot a virtually all of your scores in a 66 to 75 window with very, very few scores much above 76 or so (7.6 above the course rating).

But on a course like my old home course, 7190, 75.7/148, you will, as a 1, shoot scores in the high 80's or even the low 90's -- especially certain times of the year. An 88, for instance, is a differential of 12.3. Can you imagine shooting 81 on a 5900 yard golf course with a rating of 68.4 and a slope of 117? Assuming you weren't injured or something?

I agree with @isaacbm that our lowest differentials are usually (but not always) on longer, tougher courses. However, I believe that the slope/rating system performs well in the final analysis because we shoot tighter groupings closer to our handicap on easier/shorter courses.

In my younger years when I was longer (265 to 275ish), virtually all of my "best differentials" were on longer, tougher courses, too. 66 - 69 on 74.5 to 77.0 rated courses where I shot 7 to 9 below the course rating. But I've shot 64 - 66 on short courses in the 66 to 70 rating area many times, so not as low, but much more frequent, if that makes sense.

My index ends up being the same no matter where I play because I shoot more scores below the rating on an easy course, they just aren't as low as some of the scores I shoot on tougher, longer courses. But it all balances out. I'll try to dig up some of my own data from other the years if I can find it. I'm unemployed right now, so I got nothing but time! 🙂

I run into this at my club a lot. It's a long course, but depending on who I play with (in a tournament or for fun) I will play the course anywhere from 6500 to 7000  yards. My lowest differentials always come from playing further back mostly because I have decent length. Moving up just means taking driver out of my hand on a few holes and the slightly shorter par 3s don't statistically make a huge difference. The opposite is true for the guys who are shorter off the tee, they see a much larger score delta moving up tees since from further back they cannot reach some of the par 4s and are hitting long clubs into the par 3s (yes they should move up tees). 

It makes sense since statistically speaking, length is generally directly correlated to one's potential to score. 

14 minutes ago, sittingbull said:

Thats a awesome score..

My course blues 6306 yards/70.2/slope 131 but when we get to play the whites it so much easier to score like you said flippin wedges. Which drops to 5789 yards.

6300 at 70.2 and 131 is NOT an easy course. That course has got to be a blast to play unless it's a tricked-up, contrived mess -- which some of those kinds of courses are! LOL

I think @Obee summarized it pretty well.  For most players, there is likely to be a wider range of scores on longer and tougher courses, as opposed to shorter/easier.  That greater variability means that your lowest differentials are more likely to come on those longer/tougher courses, and so are your highest differentials.  Its also true that golfers are individuals, so that for every generality like this, there are going to be plenty of individuals who form the exceptions.  Some shorter skilled players are going to struggle with a long course, some long hitters with erratic short games will underperform on shorter courses.  And some players will struggle to adapt to anything that's different from what they normally play.

For me, at age 65, I do struggle when the courses get too long, even though I play to a 4.9 handicap index.  I typically look at Course Handicap for reasonable guidance, I might get 7 at a longer course, or 3 at a shorter one, so my "target score" could vary from 75 to 79.  

Edited by davep043

25 minutes ago, Obee said:

6300 at 70.2 and 131 is NOT an easy course. That course has got to be a blast to play unless it's a tricked-up, contrived mess -- which some of those kinds of courses are! LOL

Indeed. My buddies club is at 6200 yards (par 70) and I typically play mine at 6700 (par 72). Slopes are identical, mine is rated 1.4 strokes harder, but I will consistently score better gross scores at my club. Old school layout with small greens, narrow fairways and thick rough vs modern open layout.

Depending on whom I am playing with in my group of regulars, I play a course either from the Blue 69.9/131/72 (6105 yds) or the Gold 72.5/139/72 (6686 yds) tees. We have a wide range of player handicaps in our group, which drives the different tees. The Gold tees have some forced carries that some in the group can't make.

I am not long by WRX standards, but typically drive in the 270 range. I find that my scores when playing either tee are not all that different (Maybe a stroke). With the par 5's on the course, all are reachable in two (3 wood/long iron from the Gold tees, usually a long/mid iron from the Blue) except one, which is a 3 shot par 5 unless you are WRX long (570 yds with a marsh in front of the green).

My long iron game is decent, so I don't struggle too badly from longer approach shots. GIR's are pretty close, but proximity to the hole is a little worse putting pressure on my putting.

The handicapped money game is much tougher for me on the short tees, as mentioned above, length definitely favors the lower handicap players.

Edited by gripandrip

4 hours ago, Obee said:

Here's what I believe you will find:

Play the short course -- and as long as the slope is also low (120 or less?) -- I believe you will find that your scores are all clustered much more so than on a longer course with a high slope. In other words, the variability of your scores on a short, easy, (low slope) course will be very small.

Take a course of 5900 yards with a par of 71 and a rating of 68.4 and a slope of 117. You are probably going to shoot a virtually all of your scores in a 66 to 75 window with very, very few scores much above 76 or so (7.6 above the course rating).

But on a course like my old home course, 7190, 75.7/148, you will, as a 1, shoot scores in the high 80's or even the low 90's -- especially certain times of the year. An 88, for instance, is a differential of 12.3. Can you imagine shooting 81 on a 5900 yard golf course with a rating of 68.4 and a slope of 117? Assuming you weren't injured or something?

I agree with @isaacbm that our lowest differentials are usually (but not always) on longer, tougher courses. However, I believe that the slope/rating system performs well in the final analysis because we shoot tighter groupings closer to our handicap on easier/shorter courses.

In my younger years when I was longer (265 to 275ish), virtually all of my "best differentials" were on longer, tougher courses, too. 66 - 69 on 74.5 to 77.0 rated courses where I shot 7 to 9 below the course rating. But I've shot 64 - 66 on short courses in the 66 to 70 rating area many times, so not as low, but much more frequent, if that makes sense.

My index ends up being the same no matter where I play because I shoot more scores below the rating on an easy course, they just aren't as low as some of the scores I shoot on tougher, longer courses. But it all balances out. I'll try to dig up some of my own data from other the years if I can find it. I'm unemployed right now, so I got nothing but time! 🙂

So maybe your stroke average in relation to the rating will always average out but I feel like your potential to go low in relation to the reading will be better on the longer course for a longer hitter? 

• Like 2

The formula completely falls apart for "+" caps, but I suspect the usga isn't really concerned about them since few would play in Net events.

What evidence do any of you have that the system "over values distance"?? A few of you have said it. Have you ever read the USGA handicapping manual? It's pretty detailed on how it works. It's not just a one page flyer.

Each player has their strengths and weaknesses, and albeit from me to defend some of the crap the USGA does, but because those strengths and weaknesses may be really focused, a particular rating for a specific course may either benefit or harm a player's handicap index. That doesn't mean the rating system is broken, however. After all, the whole idea of handicaps is based on statistical distribution of scores over a wide range of players.

Edited by larrybud

The rating system is elegantly inaccurate. It is not prefect but it serves it's purpose.

I play the very forward tees at my course from time to time with my kids. I have to go crazy low to shoot my handicap. On some holes the angles don't allow me to take advantage of my length so I have to hit mid iron off the tee and I end up the same place as I would with driver from the tips, so there is no guarantee that those hole are all that much easier. 

Overall I score better relative to the rating from the tips than forward tees. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 4

I also have my best differentials on harder courses with higher ratings. I am much more apt to shoot 71-81 on a harder course, maybe 70-76 on an easier one.

When trying to break 70 for the 1st time, I kept playing up. Sometimes,  I played very aggressively,  and it was easier to blow it through fairways and get into trouble that might be farther down the fairway. If I played more conservative,  then I had an easier tee shot, but the rest of the course played the same.  Playing the forward tees, I might hit a 3 wood or iron, and driver from the back tees, to essentially the same spot.

• Like 3

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

1 hour ago, isaacbm said:

Is the regular wind direction a factor of the course slope or course rating?

It is - scratch yardage rating and bogey yardage rating (thus slope) are ajusted for a few factors : prevailing wind direction, altitude, # of doglegs, % of roll on drives (scratch normalized is 225+25 carry/roll)

Then, scratch obstacles rating and bogey obstacles rating are added to the yardage ones...

(and yes, scratch rating is heavily weighted on the yardage side, it accounts for roughly 95% of the rating - and obstacles only 5%...

but, in absolute terms, overall scratch rating swings more from way tougher obstacles than longer tees; where 400yds more adds approximately 1.8 on the rating)

On 10/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, isaacbm said:

As a general rule, long hitters (280 plus) will have lower handicaps from the back Teebox then from the front Teebox

Short hitters will have lower handicaps from the short Teebox then from the back Teebox. 

The course rating is heavily skewed towards length of course.  And for some reason the system seems to think that a scratch golfer drives it around 250.  I have aproximately 100players in my contact list that are either tour pros, club pros, college players, or high-level amateurs. Only two of them hit the ball less than 280 yards. And both of them actually hit it closer to 250 yards . One of them is a 73 year old that shoots under his age every day. But if he moves back a Teebox he struggles like crazy. The other is OBEE from this site. He is the shortest good player I probably know. He also thrives from the middle tees.  

Other than those two, I don’t think anyone else in my contact list that I’m speaking about literally hits it less than 280 yards.

Nearly All of my lowest differentials in the last 10 years have come on courses that are over 7200 yards and rated over 75. Not that hard for me to have the occasional 68 or 69. 
    There’s one course in my hometown that is rated 64.2. It’s tree-lined, the greens are tiny and slope extremely hard from back to front, and the conditions are not especially good. The chance of me posting a 58 there is basically zero. So in order for me to be a +4 Handicap, I would only have to shoot the occasional 71 on the long course. 
on the short course however, I’d have to shoot the occasional 60! 

The system does not think the average scratch hits it 250 off the tee.  It uses that metric for the course rating. A subtle but distinct difference.

To have consistent ratings across the world they have to use some arbitrary distance.  For a scratch could or should they use 260? 280? 300?  Does it really matter as long as ratings are done the same way every time?

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

23 hours ago, Obee said:

6300 at 70.2 and 131 is not an easy course. That course has got to be a blast to play unless it's a tricked-up, contrived mess -- which some of those kinds of courses are! LOL

Agreed….heads explode here in Phoenix when I try to explain my old club in Minnesota.

tips  6404 yards 71.6 135

mens 6121 yards 70.3 133

par 71

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont