Tour players who cannot putt

playit

3 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I’d give you a “like” for your research alone on this one! Good post. Always appreciate when you show that you are so much more than the “be like” guy! 😂 

Yeah, he’s prolly not a bad guy.🤣

What’s  for dinner @bscinstnct? 🍻

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

8 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I'll disagree that putting is similar to free throw shooting all day long.

Putting accounts for what 40-50% of your score? And its much more difficult than putting your foot on the nail hole, middle finger on the air hole in the ball and doing the motion...  I'll agree that there is a TON to golf than just putting, but 3 bad swings and a good putt is still a 4.  

And while I'm sure we can all pick a random person we know that putts really well and say 'well thats not true because I know this one guy..." but thats not the point of his comment at all in my opinion.  I think what he was saying was that putting is the biggest variance between a good am and a low level pro, then from a low level pro to the top ones.  Like imagine if Sergio could putt well consistently with how amazing he hits the ball.

JT,

Love you, buddy, but that was  absolutely the point of the comment. Don't phrase the comment that way if you don't mean it that way.

A better statement would be something as simple as: "There are very few amateurs who putt it as well as a mediocre or bad PGA Tour Pro."

Everybody is just married to hyperbole. They can't help themselves. 

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1 hour ago, Obee said:

JT,

Love you, buddy, but that was  absolutely the point of the comment. Don't phrase the comment that way if you don't mean it that way.

A better statement would be something as simple as: "There are very few amateurs who putt it as well as a mediocre or bad PGA Tour Pro."

Everybody is just married to hyperbole. They can't help themselves. 

Yes, if people wanted to take this comment 100% literal (which they apparently did), from a Nationwide tour guy that I had never heard of from 20-years ago (and is probably selling insurance or cars today) then I agree its not completely true. 

However, I do feel its a more accurate statement than many would like to admit.  While there would probably be faster ways for me to drop 1-2 strokes off my 0.6 handicap and get in the plus range (which I was pre-baby), I still think running in a few 15ft putts is the quickest way.  I still don't know anyone that sits back at their round and thought they didn't leave any strokes out there with their putter, and thats what I think is important.  

Edited by J_Tizzle
spellilng
  • Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Yeah, he’s prolly not a bad guy.🤣

What’s  for dinner @bscinstnct? 🍻

Sorry, was just out stealing kids candy. They cry but gotta learn the world is a tough place. Well, just their good stuff, you know snickers, reeces, smarties. 

I left them the tootsie rolls and candy corns. 

🤣

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Yes, if people wanted to take this comment 100% literal (which they apparently did), from a Nationwide tour guy that I had never heard of from 20-years ago (and is probably selling insurance or cars today) then I agree its not completely true. 

However, I do feel its a more accurate statement than many would like to admit.  While there would probably be faster ways for me to drop 1-2 strokes off my 0.6 handicap and get in the plus range (which I was pre-baby), I still think running in a few 15ft putts is the quickest way.  I still don't know anyone that sits back at their round and thought they didn't leave any strokes out there with their putter, and thats what I think is important.  

I don’t know you or your game but I would be willing to bet, and I could be wrong i admit, but I’m guessing you are more likely to miss a short putt or two or hit a bad tee shot or two costing you strokes these days compared to your plus days then needing to make a couple 15 foot putts.

As for the strokes left out there part even when shooting a career best I’ll feel you left some out there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a round that couldn’t have been better.

16 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I don’t know you or your game but I would be willing to bet, and I could be wrong i admit, but I’m guessing you are more likely to miss a short putt or two or hit a bad tee shot or two costing you strokes these days compared to your plus days then needing to make a couple 15 foot putts.

As for the strokes left out there part even when shooting a career best I’ll feel you left some out there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a round that couldn’t have been better.

And thats fair, honestly most of my scoring difference today vs last year (pre baby) is par 5 scoring.  So you could say I need to hit more fairways on the 5s or put it around more greens in 2, but my thought is almost from any position I can put it around the green in 2 (at my home course, within 30 yards), so then its getting up and down, which can feed either into I need to chip it closer or make more putts, which of course can feed into the "chipping it closer makes putting easier" or "being able to make any 10ft putt I look at makes chipping easier".

And I guess the last is really just my point, your best round you've ever shot, did you make every putt you looked at?  Possibly, but could it have been a stroke or two lower if you made a couple of 15-20ft putts.  

I'm 10000000% not trying to be a troll on this, its just my opinion with my game and the people I play with, that the person who walks away with the cash that day is typically the guy that putts the best, and why I think putting is the most important part of the game.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

30 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

And thats fair, honestly most of my scoring difference today vs last year (pre baby) is par 5 scoring.  So you could say I need to hit more fairways on the 5s or put it around more greens in 2, but my thought is almost from any position I can put it around the green in 2 (at my home course, within 30 yards), so then its getting up and down, which can feed either into I need to chip it closer or make more putts, which of course can feed into the "chipping it closer makes putting easier" or "being able to make any 10ft putt I look at makes chipping easier".

And I guess the last is really just my point, your best round you've ever shot, did you make every putt you looked at?  Possibly, but could it have been a stroke or two lower if you made a couple of 15-20ft putts.  

I'm 10000000% not trying to be a troll on this, its just my opinion with my game and the people I play with, that the person who walks away with the cash that day is typically the guy that putts the best, and why I think putting is the most important part of the game.  

“That day” the winner is likely to be a guy making some putts. That I believe. But why you’re a 0.6 instead of a couple strokes better is likely other factors. Same as why the long  game stars on tour are the best players. Not the best putters statistically.

37 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

“That day” the winner is likely to be a guy making some putts. That I believe. But why you’re a 0.6 instead of a couple strokes better is likely other factors. Same as why the long  game stars on tour are the best players. Not the best putters statistically.

I do know a lot of scratch/ish golfers who could easily drop 1.5 to 2 strokes per round just from improved putting. Everyone is different in where/exactly, they lose strokes.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

11 minutes ago, Obee said:

I do know a lot of scratch/ish golfers who could easily drop 1.5 to 2 strokes per round just from improved putting. Everyone is different in where/exactly, they lose strokes.  🙂

Short  putting you are referring to I’m guessing. 8 feet  or so and in? That I can easily see. The posts I had replied to had mentioned ”just making a couple extra 15 foot putts” per round”.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Golf magazine has a really good breakdown of ball strikers vs. short gamers and how ball strikers typically have better results.   The interesting part was this:  It is much more likely for a so-called ball striker to have a good putting event than it is for short gamer to have a good ball striking event.   I guess this isn't that surprising because a short gamer isn't all of a sudden going to be able to hit it farther but it's not far fetched for a ball striker to have an outlier putting event.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Thats a very good article for sure.  I do totally agree on the whole "good ball striker on tour is more likely to have a good putting week than a good putter having a great ball striking week".  

I think I got too away from the pro and was applying it to my own experiences, but then that kinda goes back to most pros are so much better putters than us ams, that the difference for them is more ball striking.  

But an interesting discussion either way and know where I stand to save strokes on a round and thats where I'll focus my practice this winter.