Changes to the ANA Inspiration

2 hours ago, Kaysquare said:

I've been to Mission Hills and the desert communities there.....didn't see any homeless villages.  Saw lots of Benzes, Teslas, Jags, Porches,  Bentleys, & Rolls Royces though.  😀

It's too hot in Palm Springs for the homeless.

Didn't Mark Burk of GC's Pipe Dream fame...live in a pipe in Palm Springs for a while?

In Vancouver, we have a ton of expensive cars and the average price of a detached house is $1.8M....but with our moderate climate....we have a large homeless issue on the downtown eastside.

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

What will be interesting is the golf course used for the event. The PGA plays at the remodeled Memorial Park near downtown, after leaving the Golf Club of Houston. Maybe GCOH will be an option for the LPGA, since its a little northeast of downtown where most of Chevron's employees are located in the old Enron building. Funny, their HQ is still located in San Ramon, CA, but they're wanting to pull the event out of the state. The PGA Champions play at the old TPC course now called the Woodlands Country Club Tournament course north of town. The Club at Carlton Woods, is near the Woodlands CC, and has held some USGA events in the past and could probably handle it. There's also Champions Country Club, which just held the Women's US Open in 2020 in the area. Would love to see it at Tiger's Bluejack National, but I think its a little too far northwest of town and doesn't really have the infrastructure in the area to handle it at the moment. Anything outside of these courses in the Houston area would be a bit of a stretch IMO, but you never know.   

Thanks....I was about to ask the question of where the Chevron event might land.

I use Chevron....I like Techron.

Chevron was also one of the last gas station chains to offer free tire air....now all gas stations everywhere charge $1.50.

I also like the Journie Rewards program...spiff for free treats and when I use my VISA....I get a 3 cent per liter discount...when I have bought 300 liters of gas....I get an additional 7 cents/liter off on my next gas purchase.

I'll also use Shell and Costco if the price is right.

3 hours ago, bogeypro said:

But it's still better than the homeless villages in Cali....  People just don't want to go there anymore.  Businesses are leaving.  

It's 115 degrees in the shade in Palm Springs May through September.  There are no homeless in Palm Springs.  Businesses are bailing out of CA though.

• Like 3

Great move for the ladies. Palm Springs has changed so much over the past 5-10 years. Homeless is one thing, but the entire community during the month of April is nothing but a Gay Pride Month. Look up the "Dinah in Palm Springs", (not nsfw), and you'll see. It was highjacked several years ago and now it's considered a huge lesbian gathering, nothing to do with golf. Every hotel and restaurant in the area promotes it.

My wife and family went 2 years ago and it was disturbing. The "leather" festival was just finishing up and we had to deal with men in leather speedos, whips, etc. walking around the city. To each his own, but it's not an environment that is family friendly, nor golf tourist friendly. It would have a better chance if they went to PGA west territory.

Kudos to Chevron for making this move. It's a crying shame since Dinah Shore did such an amazing job promoting women's golf and having such a great event, but it's not the same. 

• Like 2
Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*; Callaway PM Grind 64*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
Bridgestone B RXS

19 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

That's my guess.  First or 2nd week of May.  Greater than 5 inches (12.5 cm) of rain over 8 - 9 days on average in May.  Warm, sticky, and buggy.

I am modifying dates.  Late April is a better guess.  Less rain and sits nicely between ANGC events and the PGA.

• Like 1

This seems foolish to me.  So much tradition will be lost.  Keep the location, and the history, move the date to allow network TV.  What about the Dinah statue? Move it to Houston? Its still a major so finding a decent sponsor shouldn't be impossible.  What about possible blowback from clean air advocates going forward about a major being sponsored by an oil company? It happened before on the LPGA Tour years back when the duMaurier Championship (a major until 2000) was cancelled as the sponsor was a tobacco company.  

I think the new commissioner panicked and jumped at the first sponsor that showed up and succumbed to all their demands.  

Edited by cristphoto

3 hours ago, kelpie said:

Look up the "Dinah in Palm Springs", (not nsfw), and you'll see. It was highjacked several years ago and now it's considered a huge lesbian gathering, nothing to do with golf.

I think there are several events/groups associated with the Spring Festival....and I believe I read a few years ago....some of these events relocated to LA or Vegas???

By your post....seems like these events/groups have now returned.

35 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

What about possible blowback from clean air advocates going forward about a major being sponsored by an oil company? 

It happened before on the LPGA Tour years back when the duMaurier Championship (a major until 2000) was cancelled as the sponsor was a tobacco company.  

Marathon sponsors a LPGA event and I don't believe there's been much push back to end their sponsorship or association with the LPGA.

The CWO lost it's sponsorship from duMaurier because of government legislation that tobacco companies could no longer sponsor sporting events.

It's a shame that Golf Canada (went by a different name back then...RCGA???) and the LPGA couldn't find a replacement sponsor on a timely basis and the WBO obtained major status.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

1) Its still a major so finding a decent sponsor shouldn't be impossible.  

2) I think the new commissioner panicked and jumped at the first sponsor that showed up and succumbed to all their demands.  

1) Earlier in this thread.....although years ago....Mike Whan thought that there might be only 1 women's major left because of sponsorship challenges.

2) I believe the LPGA has been working for a while to find a new sponsor....who knows....maybe Chevron was the only viable offer of a short list of potential candidates.

I think the $5M purse along with the 6 year contract were key in signing up Chevron.

Obviously, I'm guessing....but I think if another candidate offered a $4M purse and 3 year contract with the ability to stay at Mission Hills..... it may have been accepted.

But....MONEY TALKS.

It must have been a tough decision with all parties involved to accept the Chevron offer.

Chevron is a minor sponsor of the PGA Houston Open. Becoming title sponsor for the LPGA probably is a lot cheaper commitment than a PGA opportunity, plus there's added marketing benefits you can highlight to your Board and investors going the ladies route instead of the men's route these days. If it was the best route for the LPGA business-wise, then everyone should embrace it and welcome the ladies and the continued opportunity to play a major event.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 7:42 PM, ChronicSlicer said:

But what about Poppy's Pond...

What about it?  It was one thing when they jumped in the actual pond.  Now, with a purpose built tank, plus the obligatory "who is all jumping in with you"....  it's jumped the shark.  

As always, either lawyers or marketing people ruin everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Poppy's pond? Just watch that Seinfeld episode:

latest?cb=20120112165354

7e9b6159c05baa8bbf1acf4dd1b320d9.jpg

• Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 10/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, golfortennis said:

What about it?  It was one thing when they jumped in the actual pond.  Now, with a purpose built tank, plus the obligatory "who is all jumping in with you"....  it's jumped the shark.  

As always, either lawyers or marketing people ruin everything.

Agreed, I think they realized it was dangerous once Stacy Lewis' mom broker her leg jumping in. I think Lorena or Yani or someone else's mom injured her ankle as well because they slipped jumping in.  I recall reading an article somewhere saying the pond was changed to a swimming pool because the water wasn't suitable for humans to be swimming in there something to do with the  water being stagnant most of the year and the temperatures getting so hot outside. The in itself makes it a potential breeding ground for dangerous algae. 

It was a  nice tradition but maybe people can drink beer or something out of the trophy although that's very much overdone.  I think in this case it was the lawyers and ANA's marketing people. There could have been a huge lawsuit had someone contracted a brain eating amoeba or a bacterial infection. It also makes me wonder if the jump was at your own risk and if that was made clear to the players? I heard several people refer to the point where people jump as the "take-off" area or the departure area, obviously something that goes with an airline. 

• 2 months later...

I like Mission Hills GC, but this is a great move for women's golf.

It can bring a graceful end to the pond-jumping situation.

Also, the Dinah Shore was the butt of a lot of jokes about the women (you know the type I mean), and the world has moved past a lot of that.

Got to love Dinah Shore's passion and contribution to the fledgling LPGA tour, but all things must pass - as GH told us.

Also, fossil fuels, they're going to be around forever, right? Oh...wait...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 6:51 PM, snagy2000 said:

People's perception of Houston cracks me up. Way off base! The mosquitoes are not bad at all, nothing a little spray wont handle when they're out. They're not always out btw. Weather can be hot/humid, cooler or rainy. Just like everyone else's weather, its really up to El Nino and La Nina. Lived in the area for the last 41 years, I've seen great days for golf in May and I've gone 2 weeks without playing due to constant rain. Mostly, its been great days! 

What will be interesting is the golf course used for the event. The PGA plays at the remodeled Memorial Park near downtown, after leaving the Golf Club of Houston. Maybe GCOH will be an option for the LPGA, since its a little northeast of downtown where most of Chevron's employees are located in the old Enron building. Funny, their HQ is still located in San Ramon, CA, but they're wanting to pull the event out of the state. The PGA Champions play at the old TPC course now called the Woodlands Country Club Tournament course north of town. The Club at Carlton Woods, is near the Woodlands CC, and has held some USGA events in the past and could probably handle it. There's also Champions Country Club, which just held the Women's US Open in 2020 in the area. Would love to see it at Tiger's Bluejack National, but I think its a little too far northwest of town and doesn't really have the infrastructure in the area to handle it at the moment. Anything outside of these courses in the Houston area would be a bit of a stretch IMO, but you never know.   

That would be cool if it is north. My in laws live in Montgomery. Might be worth a trip down there. Get to watch some golf and play some too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...