Callaway Apex UW - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open

Does anybody know if the replaceable weight in the sole is the same as a previous Callaway offering, or is an entirely new one? I want to replace the 5g weight that came with mine with a 2g one, and can't find any information on what to buy to replace it.

Edited by ShAMbotay

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS @ 11.5° - LAGP Trono 65S

Callaway Apex UW 17° and 21° - LAGP Trono 65 S
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Edison Forged 57° - LAGP TPZone05
JT Inspired Scotty Cameron - Pokéball weights 🤓752313247_JTInspired.png.5848a80125bcd9ca883dc1dab202263a.png(Regripping it surprised me with my bday dated on the shaft.)

On 10/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, eric61 said:

This is kind of weird: Everywhere else has listed these with wood shafts. But PGA Superstore's custom options show it with only hybrid shafts. Weirder: Ventus hybrid shafts, black and blue, are both listed there with no upcharge. 

I called to try to sort it out -- the customer service rep understood the discrepancy and asked the rep's supervisor. But the supervisor was no help at all and didn't seem to understand.

Sooooo... I placed an order for one with the Ventus Blue HB shaft. I figure one of three things will happen: 1) They'll just cancel it. 2) They'll offer me the wood version of it, for the price I paid. 3) They'll offer me the wood version of it, for the $350 upcharge listed on Callaway's website, which I would decline and tell them to cancel it. I told the customer service rep my exact thought process, and that I felt bad ordering something knowing I'm trying to get a $650 product for $300, but the rep told me to go ahead and we'll just see what happens, so ... I guess we'll see?

Edit to add: Since it's listed as no upcharge, it could be a made-for. But the Ventus Black was also listed with no upcharge, and unlike the TaylorMade made-for Ventus Blues, I haven't seen a made-for Ventus Black yet. I might have missed something though.

Another update on this weird odyssey: It was bugging me, so I made a couple calls today. 

First, to PGA Superstore. They told me if the website lists hybrid shafts erroneously, they’ll probably just put it through as an order for the fairway wood version. They also said if the Ventus shafts are listed with no upcharge, it must just be because they’re not real-deal versions with Velocore. They also confirmed that any orders for Apex UW would be built and shipped directly by Callaway — that they’d only me middle-men putting the order through. In other words, there’s no random stash of proprietary cheap made-for PGA SS shafts laying around.

OK, cool. So next up, I call Callaway. They tell me PGA SS is wrong about there being made-for, non-Velocore options, and that all they sell are the real-deal versions from @Fujikura Golf. The Callaway rep sort of laughed and said he’d jump on the chance to get one for free.

So, who knows? If the PGA SS guy is right about them just substituting the fairway wood version for the hybrid version, and the Callaway guy is right about them only selling real-deal Ventus shafts with Velocore, then it’s an opportunity to get a $650 club for $300. 

There isn’t much risk in this for me because I’d planned to replace the stock shaft anyway and already have the one I was going to replace it with here at home. But I mean, if I get a real Ventus Blue with Velocore glued into this bad boy for free, then it’s staying in!

Just sharing in case anybody else wants to jump on this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eric61 said:

Another update on this weird odyssey: It was bugging me, so I made a couple calls today. 

First, to PGA Superstore. They told me if the website lists hybrid shafts erroneously, they’ll probably just put it through as an order for the fairway wood version. They also said if the Ventus shafts are listed with no upcharge, it must just be because they’re not real-deal versions with Velocore. They also confirmed that any orders for Apex UW would be built and shipped directly by Callaway — that they’d only me middle-men putting the order through. In other words, there’s no random stash of proprietary cheap made-for PGA SS shafts laying around.

OK, cool. So next up, I call Callaway. They tell me PGA SS is wrong about there being made-for, non-Velocore options, and that all they sell are the real-deal versions from @Fujikura Golf. The Callaway rep sort of laughed and said he’d jump on the chance to get one for free.

So, who knows? If the PGA SS guy is right about them just substituting the fairway wood version for the hybrid version, and the Callaway guy is right about them only selling real-deal Ventus shafts with Velocore, then it’s an opportunity to get a $650 club for $300. 

There isn’t much risk in this for me because I’d planned to replace the stock shaft anyway and already have the one I was going to replace it with here at home. But I mean, if I get a real Ventus Blue with Velocore glued into this bad boy for free, then it’s staying in!

Just sharing in case anybody else wants to jump on this. 

Good looking out!  Little worried about the length, PGA SS has it listed at 40" but Callaway's website says 41.5".  Regardless, I guess we'll find out!

• Like 1

Callaway TD LS 9 - Accra TZ5 M5 

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Callaway Apex TCB Raw 4-P X100

Vokey SM7 50,55,60 S400

TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

25 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Good catch. Exact same chart as they have for the Apex Pro hybrid. Weird!

Hopefully if Callway is building them they'll build to their standards!

• Like 2

Vokey SM7 50,55,60 S400

Pro V1

Finally got my 19 degree out on the course.  My thought was this thing would go 220 ish.  First shot with it was a par 3, 230 to a back flag, course was really wet.  Flew it over the green by a foot.  Then had 270 into a par 5, my 3 Wood and I aren't best buds, so I hit the UW again and had about 35 yards left.  Hit it off 18 tee again and got 235 out of it.  It has a high, penetrating, few yard draw each time, and feels great.  It's a bit too long for what I was shooting for, but it gave me an idea to go 17, 21, and dump the 3 wood

A friend got his UW out over the weekend and said it fits nicely right between a hybrid and fairway wood.  He hit the 19* and said it's about 10yds longer than his 18* 5 wood that's also 1" longer.  Pretty impressive.

• Like 1

2022 Driver: TBD                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Edel EAS 4.0

This thing looks like an old Adams fairway wood from the late 2000's.  I think it was a Speedline or something like that.  I will be checking one of these out for sure but need to figure out how far I hit my new 16.5 TSi2 before deciding on loft to replace my 3 iron.

Titleist TSi2 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 - Ventus Red 7x
Mizuno MP20 HBM 3 iron - Steelfiber
Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-P - $-Taper

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS

3 hours ago, J13 said:

A friend got his UW out over the weekend and said it fits nicely right between a hybrid and fairway wood.  He hit the 19* and said it's about 10yds longer than his 18* 5 wood that's also 1" longer.  Pretty impressive.

Not what my wallet wants to hear.  

• Like 1

TM Tour Issue Sim2 Max 8*- AutoFlex SF505XX

TM Sim2 3 wood- Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19*- Ventus Red 8X tipped 2”
or depending on course and conditions: PXG 2i Gen4 driving iron Ventus Blue 9X. 
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen4 MMT 125TX
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 50*
PXG Sugar Daddy 54* bent to 55* with KBS Tour Elevate 
PXG Sugar Daddy 60* with KBS Tour Elevate 
LAB Mezz 35.5 inch with Tour Stability Shaft in white.  
PXG Desert Camo carry stand bag

Can confirm - just went to a fitting, and the 19* UW was almost keeping up with a 15* fairway wood. It's a rocket.  Hopefully the head allows for some additional versatility when compared to a traditional fairway.

• Like 1

Vokey SM7 50,55,60 S400

Pro V1

2 hours ago, hwwong said:

Can confirm - just went to a fitting, and the 19* UW was almost keeping up with a 15* fairway wood. It's a rocket.  Hopefully the head allows for some additional versatility when compared to a traditional fairway.

Interesting. I've been eagerly awaiting the TXG video on this, since they've hinted that it's coming a few times. 

Did you end up buying one? If so, what's it replacing in your bag -- a 5W?

1 minute ago, eric61 said:

Interesting. I've been eagerly awaiting the TXG video on this, since they've hinted that it's coming a few times. 

Did you end up buying one? If so, what's it replacing in your bag -- a 5W?

I order the PGA SS version w/ upgraded Ventus.  Will see what happens if/when it gets in... the 5w is a great yardage for me, so the versatility of the UW has to win out.  

• Like 1

Vokey SM7 50,55,60 S400

Pro V1

Distance wise, I went with the 21 degree to go against my G425 7 wood (at 19.5) and the carry distances match up really well

• Like 1

Driver Ping G425 (Ventus Blue 6x)

3 Wood Taylormade SIM Ti (Ventus Red 7x)

7 Wood Taylormade SIM2 (Hzrdus T1100 6.5)

4 Iron Taylormade P790 (DGTI x100)

Irons Srixon ZX7 5-AW (KBS $Taper 130x)

Wedges Edel SMS 56, 60 | PXG 0311 60

Putter L.A.B. Mezz.1 x Accra

23 minutes ago, eric61 said:

How do the trajectories and spin compare?

cant speak to spin as im only comparing on the course and range, but the UW flight is definitely lower, less towering. 

Driver Ping G425 (Ventus Blue 6x)

3 Wood Taylormade SIM Ti (Ventus Red 7x)

7 Wood Taylormade SIM2 (Hzrdus T1100 6.5)

4 Iron Taylormade P790 (DGTI x100)

Irons Srixon ZX7 5-AW (KBS $Taper 130x)

Wedges Edel SMS 56, 60 | PXG 0311 60

Putter L.A.B. Mezz.1 x Accra

I was able to hit the 17* at the store this past weekend and was not instantly love at first swing. 19 or 21 degree are likely way better for me and I wish I could have tried those. The shorter length shaft seemed and felt weird to me since my brain thought it was a fairway wood. It just felt like I was swinging it slow which made me think I needed to give more effort to hit it far and that did weird things to my swing. 100% all in my head, club looks and feels great.

Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red 6x
Sim2 Max 3HL Tour AD HD 7s
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75s
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
Titleist T100 5-P Modus 120x

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

Good news for those who jumped on the erroneous PGA SS listing and grabbed a Ventus shaft at no upcharge: They're replacing the hybrid shafts with the wood version and putting them through to Callaway that way. 

I just got a shipping confirmation, and a separate confirmation directly from a customer service rep that that's what they did with my order. So, my Apex UW with a Ventus Blue, which should have cost $650 but I got for $300, is on the way. (They're also shipping me an Epic Super Hybrid, which I ordered because they were also listing Ventus HB shafts at no upcharge with them. They pushed that order through to Callaway with no additional upcharge to me, as well. I'm going to do a head-to-head when they arrive.) 

They've fixed that issue with their site. But another one popped up: LAGP Trono shafts are listed on the PGA SS website for no upcharge with the Apex UW right now. Those shafts are typically a $345 upgrade through Callaway. 

I have a possible theory about the tech glitch that's causing some shafts to randomly pop up as free upgrades here and their on their website, but there's really no need to go down that rabbit hole... especially since I can't predict where other, similar accidental deals might pop up.

Edited by eric61
  • Thanks 1

This club is very interesting, would be cool to see someone make one thats adjustable with .335 and .370 adapters so you can really play it any way you want

FORTOURUSEONLY'S WITB

Titleist TSi3 9° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Series Raw Orange 65 TX

Titleist TSi2 15°, 21° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series Pro Orange 90 TX

Titleist T200('21) 4i, T100S('21) 5-9i w/ Nippon N.S.Pro Modus³ Tour 125 X

Vokey BVHG SM8 46.10F, 52.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Roundback Tour Prototype Weld Neck 1.5

Tried to place an order with a Ventus, but unfortunately they dont allow custom orders to us up here in Canada, only stock configurations. You can fill it all out, but it wont allow you to complete the order. 

Out of curiosity, if the Ventus Black you ordered was a 9 or 10 TX, what did they do for weights on the fairway shaft?

I posted a quick review over in the equipment forum's thread on the Apex UW ... it's linked here, and I'll repost it below:

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

OK, a quick review… I ordered my Apex UW last Thursday when I saw the PGA SS glitch, and it arrived today via UPS, six days after I placed the order. It does look like Callaway tipped the Ventus Blue a decent amount.

I took it to Golf Galaxy and rented a Trackman bay for an hour. I also took my Epic Super Hybrid, which I also ordered with a Ventus Blue HB the same day via the same glitch, and which also arrived today. 19 degrees on the Apex UW at standard length of 41.5” with a Ventus Blue 7S; 18 degrees on the Super at standard length of 40.875” and a Ventus Blue HB 8S.

The Apex UW is a phenomenal club. It’s more than a jack of all trades — it’s a master of most of them too: 

— It has the ease of use of a hybrid, if you struggle with fairway woods.

— It has tremendous workability; easy to  flight up or down or fade or draw. If you can put the swing on it, the club will make it happen.

— It has the feedback of a players’ club. You know where your misses are, a bit more than other fairways and hybrids I’ve used before. 
— But it has forgiveness, too. This thing is not hard to hit.

For context, I’m not a huge swinger. Probably on the slower side around here. I hit driver a few times tonight while warming up and was in the 98-101mph territory, carrying 255-260ish.

On the Apex UW, I was swinging 93-ish mph. Carry was right around 225, and I could step on it and get it carrying low 230s. 

That carry is exactly the same as my 18 degree, 42.75 inch Epic Speed 5 wood, which I swing at more like 96 mph. But the 5 wood goes very high — peak often at about 120, descent angle mid to high 40s. That’s too high around here on windy days.

The Apex UW for me was a lower flight, at around 80-85 feet, coming down at about 40 degrees. Not bad numbers at all — and what separates it from the 5 wood is that it’s pretty easy to hit the Apex UW higher or lower if you want, whereas my 5 wood just always, always wants to go high. (More skilled players could work it more, I’m sure, but that’s not me.) 

Spin was also a little lower than my 5 wood, but pretty comparable. In the mid 3000s for the most part, whereas my 5 wood is typically mid-high 3000s.

OK, so for the comparison with the Epic Super Hybrid: Long story short, the Apex UW is going in my bag.

The Super is a good club, too. But my dispersion was a lot wider with it. Compared to the UW, it also wants to go high. Not 5 wood high, but 95-105 feet. I was getting a little less distance, maybe like 5 yards, which maybe shouldn’t be surprising given the shorter club length but I was swinging it around 92 mph, and a little more spin. 

I’d say Super is probably a little more forgiving. If you’re looking for something that’ll help you hit the ball high, far and straight, and don’t like higher-lofted fairway woods or prefer the shorter shafts of hybrids, this would be a great club for you to try. But the Apex UW was giving me more of what I’m looking for.

I’d say the Super sits a little more closed than the UW — in fact the UW is perfectly square to maybe a little open. But the Super isn’t like offensively closed at all, and looks better at address than most hybrids, I’d say. I have a lot of positive things to say about the Super, too; its only real problem is that the UW exists.

My only issue with the Apex UW is that, while the deal was too good to pass up, I’m afraid Ventus Blue (which I play in my driver btw) might not be the right shaft for me in this. I’m going to give it a bit longer, though. I also have another UW coming that I ordered through Discount Dan’s before I spotted the PGA SS glitch, so… there will be some shaft head-to-heads.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, GolfWRX_Spotted said:

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2074.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

Cool a small 3w

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

• Like 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

Which they tested the 17.

DR: Callaway XR16 Sub Zero Tour Issue 9.5° + Fujikura Pro 61tx @ 45".

FW: Taylormade SIM MaxD 16° + Tensei AV 75x @ 42 1/2".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22° + White Tie HX4 x @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 51°/56°/61° + C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

3 minutes ago, ian-500 said:

Which they tested the 17.

TGW.jpg.2167d978115cd8e4fcd139f038b5eb2e.jpg

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

1 minute ago, BirdieBob said:

TGW.jpg.2167d978115cd8e4fcd139f038b5eb2e.jpg

Er....thanks? I wish TXG had tested the 17* lofted model.

DR: Callaway XR16 Sub Zero Tour Issue 9.5° + Fujikura Pro 61tx @ 45".

FW: Taylormade SIM MaxD 16° + Tensei AV 75x @ 42 1/2".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22° + White Tie HX4 x @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 51°/56°/61° + C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.