Garmin Approach Z82 - Is It Just Me?

After reading every review and forum post and watching every YouTube video on rangefinders, I swallowed hard and paid the significant price for what I thought would be the best rangefinder for me: the Garmin Approach Z82.  While I'm very impressed by the build and features, I have to say I'm having trouble getting it to do the very simplest task: rangefinding (flags, bunkers, targets, etc.)!  I can ultimately get it to "lock" but I feel like I have to really work at it vs. my past experience with Bushnell, Nikon and Leupold.  

Am I the only one?  Is this user error?  Might I have a dud?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback.

I have a Z80 and think it is pretty decent.  Not sure what the difference is in the newer model.  One thing I miss is using the magnification on the nikons, etc to look with towards the green when still a fairly distance out (meaning look where the shot ended up)  Otherwise I'm satisfied with it.   

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

On 10/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Brimster said:

After reading every review and forum post and watching every YouTube video on rangefinders, I swallowed hard and paid the significant price for what I thought would be the best rangefinder for me: the Garmin Approach Z82.  While I'm very impressed by the build and features, I have to say I'm having trouble getting it to do the very simplest task: rangefinding (flags, bunkers, targets, etc.)!  I can ultimately get it to "lock" but I feel like I have to really work at it vs. my past experience with Bushnell, Nikon and Leupold.  

Am I the only one?  Is this user error?  Might I have a dud?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback.

You're not the only one that has trouble with Z82.  I have Z82, it's more complicated than pushing a button, because it offers much more functionality, data and images compared to, say, the simple Bushnell which I have and no longer use.  I like what I see in the viewfinder of Z82.  Most of Garmin's products are that way, even the Fenix 5x and 6x require a learning curve.  I've watched people attempt to use Z82, and get frustrated cause they keep hitting the wrong button or button sequence. 

When a user wants more data and images and functionality, they have to be prepared to be patient cause there's a learning curve. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Your complaint is my complaint. I just bought one and love all the features and except actually ranging a flag, tree, etc. I'm very used to a Bushnell and have found the Z82 much more difficult to lock on a target. The viewfinder feels very 'jumpy' and difficult to steady compared to other devices. I'm going to try it again tonight at my home course which also has the reflectors on the flags so it should be easier but if it doesn't work well I'll be returning it and buying a traditional rangefinder and may consider a GPS device. 

Titleist TSr4, 9, Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TSr3, 16.5,, Mitsubishi Chemical AV Raw Blue 75-TX

Callaway 2021 Apex UW, 21*, Kuro Kage XT 80TX

Titleist T100 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist SM9 52F, 56F, 60M, Dynamic Gold S400
LAB Mezz.1 Max
Titleist ProV1x 

On 10/9/2021 at 10:11 AM, Miker20890 said:

ive noticed i have a hard time hitting objects other than the pin. but for bunkers i generally just look at the hazard/layup option.

Yeah, I leverage the GPS data for almost all data points other than distance to flag. It’s definitely a gps first and rangefinder second, and the rangefinder portion certainly leaves a bit to be desired but is more than enough for what I need. 

• Like 1

Guys, Z82 has two "2" functions that find the pin; Pinpoint for nearly blind shots at the pin, and lock on vibration.  Mine isn't jumpy but jittery hands may disguise it's functions somewhat.  My buddy's hands shake which complicates usage for him.  But to target a tree or object for yardage, aim and push the button closest to you.  Make sure its fully changed too.  Works fine for me. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

After playing round 2 with the Z82 last night, I have decided to keep it. I still find it harder to pick up flags than with a traditional Bushnell range finder but love the GPS yardages and ability to see the hazards all in one unit. I have had a GPS app for my phone and I never use it. Too cumbersome to have to use multiple devices when I'm playing. I like that I can see everything on the hole and on the green with one look. The Z82 is not perfect but I do like it enough to keep it. 

Titleist TSr4, 9, Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TSr3, 16.5,, Mitsubishi Chemical AV Raw Blue 75-TX

Callaway 2021 Apex UW, 21*, Kuro Kage XT 80TX

Titleist T100 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist SM9 52F, 56F, 60M, Dynamic Gold S400
LAB Mezz.1 Max
Titleist ProV1x 

• 1 year later...

My GPS yardages are off by 20 yards. When I compare directly to my Arccos app and Voice Caddy which give the same numbers, the Z82 is way off. Sometimes it's so bad I will shoot a pin that is in the back and it will lock and say something like 132, but the back of the green GPS number will be 125. Really bummed out.

6 hours ago, gunmetal said:

My GPS yardages are off by 20 yards. When I compare directly to my Arccos app and Voice Caddy which give the same numbers, the Z82 is way off. Sometimes it's so bad I will shoot a pin that is in the back and it will lock and say something like 132, but the back of the green GPS number will be 125. Really bummed out.

I love both my Z80 and Z82. I argee that there are advantages and disadvantages to the Garmin over other units.  I would recommend connecting it to your computer and use the Garmin Express software to update the software and course maps. It may help getting the correct Front,middle,back numbers for your particular course.

I have been using my Dad's Garmin for the beginning of the year, and for me, the Garmin is just too slow and the battery life isn't the best. He doesn't even use his Garmin much, just uses his trusty Bushnell. I even defer to my friends with different range finders for faster yardages. I am glad I used his before shelling out the money on one for myself. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, egolfer said:

I love both my Z80 and Z82. I argee that there are advantages and disadvantages to the Garmin over other units.  I would recommend connecting it to your computer and use the Garmin Express software to update the software and course maps. It may help getting the correct Front,middle,back numbers for your particular course.

Never even knew about Garmin Express. I updated it, including the courses, and it made no difference. I stood on the first tee yesterday and my Arccos app says 422, Voice Caddie says 423, and Z82 says 446. 

Simply unusable. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, gunmetal said:

Never even knew about Garmin Express. I updated it, including the courses, and it made no difference. I stood on the first tee yesterday and my Arccos app says 422, Voice Caddie says 423, and Z82 says 446. 

Simply unusable. 

1) Do you have a magnetic ball marker on your hat (or any sort of magnetic near where you put your rangefinder)?

2) Are you comparing the Z82's "plays like distance" vs slope/horizonal distances of the other two? The plays like distance factors more than just distance + elevation. 

3) Why are you trying to measure 420+ to the flag? Calculating Lay-ups one of the reasons the Z82 has GPS.

Owned 10+ rangefinders and the Z82 is the only one I've carried over the last 2 years. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting , looking for updates, my 2 major issues with the Z82 are:

Regularly get incorrect GPS yardages to front and back of the green and the lasered pin is off the green according to the GPS, as in 147 pin, front of green is 155. 

Laser the pin and get a significant difference that actual based on 3 other lasers in the group. After about a minute, yes 60 seconds, the Z82 will adjust and be within a few yards, 2-5, of the other lasers.  Rarely the same or within in 1 yard. 

These things happen on every course I’ve used it on, across the country.  They are common problems with the Z82 and Garmin knows it. 

I’ve done all the Garmin updates, using the correct tee selection for the course I’ve been playing etc.  

Contacted Garmin directly and on their forum, sent them pictures taken through the eyepiece and explained the problem in a lot of detail. I have a few responses as in check setting, update the software etc. but no solutions.  Followed up a few times asking for a response/update/solution and all I’m getting now is radio silence. 

Reaching out to any Z82 users here who have the same problems and maybe a solution, either their own or from Garmin.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2023 at 8:16 AM, gunmetal said:

I don't know how that could happen????  Maybe your location and where the satellites are in relation causes the hiccup.  Make sure it's properly configured and charged.  If the charge level gets unusually low it can cause squirrely behavior.  

Do you have the Garmin Golf app on while playing?  It provides data such as wind to the unit.

I am in SOCAL and use Z82 over multiple states, never had an issue.  Plus, I wear a Garmin 6X sapphire watch for golf too, yardages are within a yard or two of each other, which is expected, and sometimes they show the same.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 1:26 PM, Blaiser said:

Any whispers on a new version coming out for 2024?

Really want to like this thing, concept is amazing. Hoping a new unit sorts out the bugs.

Looking for this info also.  Maybe we find out at the PGA Show?

I currently have the Z80, didn't upgrade to the Z82.  Would like to know if it still makes sense to upgrade or wait for the next one.

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 4:22 PM, JLew said:

I currently have the Z80, didn't upgrade to the Z82.  Would like to know if it still makes sense to upgrade or wait for the next one.

The Garmin rep I spoke to at the 2024 PGA show the other week wasnt helpful and didnt mention of any plans for a new release this year when I asked that question directly. 

54 minutes ago, Imslimjim said:

The Garmin rep I spoke to at the 2024 PGA show the other week wasnt helpful and didnt mention of any plans for a new release this year when I asked that question directly. 

Thanks, without any info I'm assuming there will be no new version this year.  Seems like a very long product cycle but my Z80 is still working fine so I guess I'll wait.

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

On 1/14/2024 at 2:22 PM, JLew said:

I’m disappointed with the Z82 , primary problem is I often get lasered distance pin “off” the green. Which means the GPS is inaccurate.  This is a common problem, read other places online about this as well, even on the Garmin Firum where I’ve interacted with the Garmin rep. I’ve also chased this down with Garmin via email.  They also asked I send pictures through the eyepiece which I did , they came back with questions like “ did you shoot the flag or something else “ ……? 

I only use it when playing unfamiliar courses for info like distance to hazards etc and laser pin.   

In addition the video screen is not very clear - fuzzy, my eyesight is good and sometime the brightness doesn’t adjust properly to ambient light, especially on bright sunny days.  And then there’s the delay from picking it up and screen wakes up.  

Sometimes it doesn’t recognize the pin , say I'm offline with an errant drive,  and can’t get a laser to the pin, as it thinks I’m on a different hole, I don’t know why the laser is programmed this way, laser should be independent of any other function.  

At my home course I just use my old Bushnell, laser only, as I know where hazards etc are.  Much clearer and faster.  

The wind feature is useless, tied to your phone which must be constantly screen on and battery drain, and don’t walk too far away from your phone it’ll disconnect.  And the wind data comes from a station away from you. My closest station is 12 miles away and different terrain and weather patterns.  

Certainly regretting the high cost I paid for it.   

• Like 2

Locking in is an issue because it’s basically a video camera. There’s a slight delay as you bounce back and forth to hit the flag because you’re looking at a video screen and not through an optical lens. It’s why I’ve been crying for a Z82 where half of the screen is optical and half is led for the GPS. This is ignoring the fact that the “back of the green” arch was almost exclusively shorter than shooting a back flag. Returned it after one week of use. 

Edited by Frankensteins Monster

On 12/19/2023 at 1:26 PM, Blaiser said:

Any whispers on a new version coming out for 2024?

Really want to like this thing, concept is amazing. Hoping a new unit sorts out the bugs.

Really interested in this as well. Have a Bushnell V5. I don't want to add a watch, or look at my phone for unfamiliar courses. 

Edited by chinaski
  • Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, thesloth said:

I thought with the recent sale on the Z82 that maybe a new model was coming. However, the sale seems to have ended so perhaps not. Too bad. I wanted to buy a Z82 but it seems like people's real-world experience with it isn't great. Will continue to wait and see if a new version comes out in the next couple of years.

I was hoping the recent sale on the Z82 was an indication a new model was coming as well. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1