Former NBA player J.R. Smith makes his college golf debut as a freshman walk on.

Frankensteins Monster

41 minutes ago, subrew said:

He is taking classes.  He is genuinely going to college to get an education.  Hired tutors for some classes, posts on his twitter account about his quiz and mid-term scores etc.

Info from a twitter account following his round today:

That’s dope! He good. Guy looks so happy to be out there.

What a blast for him and the others. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kylesilk said:

I think it's cool for the other guys on the team.  Imagine watching a game with him or hearing some inside info on NBA stuff.  

yea I'm sure its cool for the kids but I'm talking about for JR. He's a famous adult NBA star hanging out with little white kids that are 18-21 years told. When you play on a team together, you are with your friends and kind of like a fraternity. I just don't see him sticking with the team for 4 years, kind of weird imo.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

yea I'm sure its cool for the kids but I'm talking about for JR. He's a famous adult NBA star hanging out with little white kids that are 18-21 years told. When you play on a team together, you are with your friends and kind of like a fraternity. I just don't see him sticking with the team for 4 years, kind of weird imo.

NC A&T is a HBCU.  Roster is reflective of that.

I think it is a cool opportunity for not only he but also his team mates to learn something.  It has to be a very interesting scenario for the top players on his team to be playing over him.  You beat out a professional athlete to start over him.

Like I said earlier, big opportunity for both sides to get something out of this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

NC A&T is a HBCU.  Roster is reflective of that.

I think it is a cool opportunity for not only he but also his team mates to learn something.  It has to be a very interesting scenario for the top players on his team to be playing over him.  You beat out a professional athlete to start over him.

Like I said earlier, big opportunity for both sides to get something out of this. 

i fail to see how anyone doesn't see this ... like, you have to really try to think he's not genuinely interested in the college "experience" while trying to play golf at a somewhat serious level, and that he's going to fit in and probably add a little something to their experience ... but it's a cynic's world for a reason, myself included ... 

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

The main point is they are kids, most golf teams are white kids, didn’t know it was a HBCU. I give him 2 years at most on the golf team. 

be willing to bet that's close to the avg for a golf team member at any school ... 

39 minutes ago, tiderider said:

be willing to bet that's close to the avg for a golf team member at any school ... 

i played golf and most I know played 4 years, a lot of it was the scholarship money as well as the experience. 

I saw a video of JR playing the tournament earlier today and he was on the tee box playing with 3 white kids that looked 19 at most. It just looked out of place which is why I don’t think he will play 4 years. Good on him for going back to school though.