Most forgiving players iron?

texas_golfer

So to make a long story short. I played Miura MC501 for years. Fluctuate between 7-10 handicap depending on how often I play. Usually irons are the best part of my game.  

Couple months ago decided I just wanted something new.  Sold the Miura irons. Pre ordered the T100.  Hit them a few times at the store and they felt great. 

since then a buddy gave me a set of srixon zx5 irons he doesn’t use and I’ve been gaming them while waiting on my T100 to come in.  

now I don’t think I could play these zx5 long term. They really are too long and my distances are wayyy off from what I’m used to. And they don’t line up well with my wedges or woods.  Buuuuuuut what I do like is they are so easy to hit. Man I honestly can’t imagine anything being easier.  My bad shots are still, well pretty good. 

so today I hit a buddy’s mizuno MP4 irons and it didn’t go well. Hit some good ones but also some really bad ones. Could just be something with the swing weight. Shafts etc. but it got in my head a little.  

so now I’m wondering.  Should I really be playing something a little more forgiving?  Maybe not jacked up lofts. But forgiving?  

I like the look of a traditional players iron. And have been so excited for the T100. But seems like they are never going to get here. Ordered them over 2 months ago.  But to those that are lucky enough to have gotten them. Do you think they are what I’m wanting or should I possibly consider canceling my order and look at something else? 

im sure I can play them for sure. After all. I played mc501 good and irons are best part of my game. But these zx5 and MP4 irons have me thinking I may enjoy golf more with something more along the zx5 side of things than the mp4

• Like 1

Titleist is definitely on top when it comes to high MOI in a very compact package, so I would wait that out since most people would make a similar recommendation. 

Mizuno JPX Forged would be another contender if the Titleists don't work out. Also pay very close attention to:

Could just be something with the swing weight. Shafts etc. but it got in my head a little. 

A fit that does not agree with you will override any of the "on paper" specs of a club, so make sure you're doing your due diligence there by accounting for weight and length.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I had the same dilemma, plus I don't like irons with a lot of offset and want as much loft as I can get to keep my gapping to 10 yards as well as all the spin I can get so I stick my approaches to at least the 5 iron.

I looked around for a players irons with normal lofts and some forgiveness but don't think there is a lot currently available. Given that and my limited budget I ended up getting '99 Titleist DCI990B's and I've never hit anything so high or straight.

I'd like to see what people come up with as far as a players iron with standard lofts and not too much offset. I would say a MPF of 400 - 500 would be ideal, my 990B's are 441. Here's the link to the MPF rating's if you want to use that to find a players iron that fits your specs.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I ordered the Takomo 101's because I thought they looked awesome, but I'm with you on the lofts. I had to buy a gap wedge because the lofts are almost a full club up. But I wanted to try something GI considering everything else I've hit is considered "better player". I think I hit my irons pretty well when I hit them correctly. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

10 minutes ago, texas_golfer said:

I’ve seen that maltby thing before. Not sure how accurate that is to real life golf. But based on this the zx5 and t100 irons are actually the exact same score. In fact the t100 scored 9 points higher. 

It's a designer's best estimate of forgiveness, not perfect of course but a decent starting point. He also apparently gives more MPF points when the C dimensions large, which I believe means the GC is farther toward the toe of the club. However, in my case this is something I don't like as I have a handsy takeway and it prevents me from opening the clubface enough at times. 

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

13 minutes ago, texas_golfer said:

I’ve seen that maltby thing before. Not sure how accurate that is to real life golf. But based on this the zx5 and t100 irons are actually the exact same score. In fact the t100 scored 9 points higher. 

The general rule of thumb for the best "real life" application is to largely ignore the actual MPF rating and instead look at MOI and CG. High MOI = more forgiving on off center hits and CG should be matched to your strike location tendency. Lower CG for sweepers/thin miss players etc. From there you have to figure out all the personal stuff like aesthetics, offset, turn interaction, feel etc etc, but IMO you can't go wrong looking at MOI and CG for your starting points. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

4 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

The general rule of thumb for the best "real life" application is to largely ignore the actual MPF rating and instead look at MOI and CG. High MOI = more forgiving on off center hits and CG should be matched to your strike location tendency. Lower CG for sweepers/thin miss players etc. From there you have to figure out all the personal stuff like aesthetics, offset, turn interaction, feel etc etc, but IMO you can't go wrong looking at MOI and CG for your starting points. 

well in that case even the MOI is higher in the t100 than the zx5. Very interesting 

2 minutes ago, texas_golfer said:

well in that case even the MOI is higher in the t100 than the zx5. Very interesting 

Yeah Titleist has been doing the high MOI thing for a little while now via big chunks of tungsten in the heel/toe to stabilize the head. Pretty nuts how forgiving a compact players iron can be made these days using that method. 

Bridgestone 

29 minutes ago, chipa said:

I had the same dilemma, plus I don't like irons with a lot of offset and want as much loft as I can get to keep my gapping to 10 yards as well as all the spin I can get so I stick my approaches to at least the 5 iron.

I looked around for a players irons with normal lofts and some forgiveness but don't think there is a lot currently available. Given that and my limited budget I ended up getting '99 Titleist DCI990B's and I've never hit anything so high or straight.

I'd like to see what people come up with as far as a players iron with standard lofts and not too much offset. I would say a MPF of 400 - 500 would be ideal, my 990B's are 441. Here's the link to the MPF rating's if you want to use that to find a players iron that fits your specs.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Hey, how are my DCI 990's 422 when your 990B's are 441?  I thought my version was supposed to be more forgiving!!! 😭

*Full disclosure: I didn't even know there were two versions when I bought them.

• Haha 1

Just now, Go Cougs said:

Hey, how are my DCI 990's 422 when your 990B's are 441?  I thought my version was supposed to be more forgiving!!! 😭

*Full disclosure: I didn't even know there were two versions when I bought them.

I think it's because the center of mass is lower. From what I understand the 990 is slightly larger though with more offset so the reality is it could be more forgiving for some people.

• Like 1

Notes:

I’d add the PING i210 iron to your short list. They’re played by a number of PING’s men and women touring pros and are forgiving enough that probably a 10–15 handicap could use them without too much trouble. I think they would be worth a look at least. I’ve been playing the I series for a number of years now and enjoy them. 

• Like 3

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

I have had them all and the titleist T100S seem to always wind up back in my bag.. At first I didnt really care for the 21 version over my 19's but after a few rounds i'm loving them.. They definitely feel better than the 19's, launch a touch higher and the long irons seem easier to hit..

The 921 Forged were very close to making it in the bag but the T100S ended up taking them on feel and look behind the ball. The 921 Forged are just a touch long heel to toe for my liking and had a tad more offset which i didnt care for.

I can compare these anecdotally as I just went through the process. Been an AP2 guy for years, went for a fitting when the T series came out(interested in the new S), ended up getting fit into ZX7. Didn’t buy them because I didn’t believe it. It was just a better easier to hit club all around that produced a more consistent launch and spin. Good on good they were both great, ZX7 was discernibly better ball speed retention on thin ish shots. The sole on the srixons has been so good in the turf,(I’m in Texas also) I tend to hit the T100s a groove or 2 higher on the face .

-look at address: T100 wins not real close 

-turf interaction: ZX7 wins not close

-well struck shots: even, ZX7 spun ~250 rpm less though

-thin strikes: ZX7 wins not close 

-feel: T100 feels like MB, ZX7 feels like AP2. T100 probably wins but close

-on course: ZX7 wins by a bunch. The spin control and consistency are impressive. 

T100: 2.5(looks and feel)

ZX7: 3.5 (performance and forgiveness)

I just kind of did this offhand but that’s exactly how I would describe it. I wish I had those satin T100s in the bag, but ZX7 was just a better club. 

Edit to include: I didn’t buy the ZX7 initially but after test after test I finally did (obviously) kept getting the same result 

Edited by Hattie Pants
  • Like 2

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

I'd stick with the T100.  You can always combo in a T200 long iron or two if needed. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Another vote for i210 here.  I didn't even want to hit Ping in my iron fitting, but it won me over, and has been great in the ~15 rounds I've played since I've gotten them.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

This is tough, because it is SO personal.  Bottom line: what is overall "forgiving" and what you perceive as "forgiving" are 2 different things.  It depends on your swing tendencies.  

Unless you have the time and patience to go through several fittings, you probably won't end up with the absolute best.  I mean, how can anyone with the various combo of irons, shafts, and lies?  

With that said, I got a shaft that worked for my swing (DG120X or AMT White X100) and found both the 718 AP2 and MMC MP20 to be very forgiving.  They just suit my swing.  So was the Apex Pro, which had a S400 shaft.  So did the Apex Pro with a $ Taper 130.  The clubs I hated all had shafts that I hated.

Even a fitting can be not 100%; that is probably why so many brand new sets end up here.  Good feeling club during the fitting, then the newness wears off and it is playing worse than the old one.  I just short circuited that process by buying multiple sets here for trial.  A PITA but it is also a good way to find that set that really meshes.  If you are lucky, you will only be out PP fees.  

If the shaft is a poor fit, then you can't judge the club.  You just can't.  My experience is that likely, I can get used to a head much more easily than a shaft, provided it is weighted correctly. I just like the feel of player's irons and can struggle with GI and SGI irons.  A perfectly flushed, perfect height and spin 7-iron for me is 178.  I don't need more distance, which is what most of those strong loft irons give me.  I would look at a GI iron that had a traditional loft but more forgiveness, but there aren't many. I tried the JPX 921 Forged but it had a shaft mismatch and therefore didn't work.  As a 5 handicap with ball striking at a very solid level (putts and bipolar driving kill me), I could still use more forgiveness, just like everyone else.  The hardest hole around here has a short green right up against a deep hazard. Hit it even 8 yards short and you are playing a hazard ball. Club up to play it safe and you are over the green, into the bunker with a solid shot.  A slightly more forgiving iron on this hole alone would have saved me several strokes over the past few years: I have literally hit the bricks at the top of paving wall (8 inches deep) 3 times in the past 6 months.  A GI iron that reduces that 8-yard slightly thin 8-iron to 6.5 yards saves me 3x1 strokes or more, given the location of the drop zone.  But do I need to smoke that 8-iron and fly the green on a square shot?  Not really; no additional distance please! 

Edited by RoyalMustang

for those looking for forgiveness with standard lofts. As long as the club is forged you could bend the lofts weaker to add loft and reduce offset. This was very popular on the first round of t100s as those were more forgiving but were 2 degrees stronger. Weakening the lofts 2 degrees does add bounce but most of the time strong lofted irons have low bounce and 2 degrees might help sometimes.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

Cobra MIM hands down period...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I have looked at more iron sets while waiting for my t100 set than I have in my whole golfing life. I ordered them mid August and in that time I have nearly pulled the trigger on a few different sets and the lack of an accurate ETA is absolutely killing me. 

I am also hitting the Miura MC501's (combo set with mb101s) and while I really like the miuras, I am ready to move to something more forgiving. But man I cant wait much longer!  

• Like 1

T200 was the best iron i hit this year at demo days. Perfect blend of visual appeal and easy to hit. I think they will be a home run for Titleist.

I'd get them myself if i wasn't back on PHAT irons.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

i210*

* Because it’s not really a Players Iron. 😉

That whole I line I consider a "players GI".  Just picked up my third set of them to rebuild during the off season (KBS shafts = ewww for me).  Just a solid set of irons with a ton of help, but not the look some can go for.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

Another vote for the i210s if you don’t mind the slightly longer head and “Ping Industrial” look. Can’t tell you how many times a less than perfect swing still ends up in a good spot. 

From trying out things lately, latest iterations of the Mizzy MMCs and JPX Forged are also pretty forgiving. I’ve been wanting to try the ZX7 as they look good to my eye.