Looking for a ball to compare to the e12 Contact... found Vice Pro Soft... results to follow.

jjfcpa

I have been playing the e12 Contact since they were released and really enjoy them.  They are long, soft but not mushy, and spin reasonably well when hitting into a green.  I also like the feel off the putter, which is very important to me.

I've done some comparisons with the Callaway Chrome Soft because I want to see if a little more spin would improve my short game.  In all honesty, I didn't dislike the CS, but didn't see a lot of benefit to it.  

I recently purchased a dozen of the Vice Pro Soft because, based on the specs, it sounded similar to the e12 in terms of compression; however, the Vice Pro Soft has a urethane cover.  I played 9 holes with the e12 and 9 holes with the Vice and found that the Vice was actually longer... quite a big longer with the driver, woods, and irons.  Pitches and chips will need some work on my part because I'm used to the e12 releasing more than Vice.  However, I did like the feel of the Vice off the putter and putting was very similar to what I could do with the e12.  

I decided to play the Vice for a few more rounds and see if my perception continues... but I do like the added distance, and as a senior golfer, I need all the distance I can get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it outperforms the e12 that would be something, especially after seeing the other thread. I had enough target rewards to get a dozen of the lime green. I really like it myself, I'm not good enough to notice a performance difference between balls unless I'm tracking the round, but it didn't seem short or anything and felt soft but not mushy.

I just played 9 holes with a sleeve of the CS, first time I can think of playing with it. I really liked how it felt and it seemed to perform well, but it didn't seem to justify the price difference between my preferred ball the Cut Blue.

Part of the problem with my home course is it can be pretty easy to lose balls, especially for someone like me whose swing can change from shot to shot.

My experience… I was part of the e12 Contact demo. The older straight ball, the e6, was very straight. It also had some of the worst green-holding characteristics of any ball. There are several changes that make the Contact far superior in that regard, perhaps the most significant is that it’s softer, much softer. That gives it the launch characteristics of a soft ball: it launches very high, and has a higher decent angle. Add a cover that spins more, and you have a far better all-around ball. The down side for me is that it gives away too much distance on driver/FW/hybrid.

The Vice Pro Soft is the only unique model in their lineup. It’s “trick” is that it isn’t really soft. It’s basically a V1 clone with a lower compression. It still launches fairly high, but the flight it more linear/penetrating, and it’s spinning more, both from the urethane cover and higher compression. It’s a grossly overlooked model IMO that should perform better for the moderate SS player than the higher priced ChromeSoft or Bridgestone low compression balls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

My experience… I was part of the e12 Contact demo. The older straight ball, the e6, was very straight. It also had some of the worst green-holding characteristics of any ball. There are several changes that make the Contact far superior in that regard, perhaps the most significant is that it’s softer, much softer. That gives it the launch characteristics of a soft ball: it launches very high, and has a higher decent angle. Add a cover that spins more, and you have a far better all-around ball. The down side for me is that it gives away too much distance on driver/FW/hybrid.

The Vice Pro Soft is the only unique model in their lineup. It’s “trick” is that it isn’t really soft. It’s basically a V1 clone with a lower compression. It still launches fairly high, but the flight it more linear/penetrating, and it’s spinning more, both from the urethane cover and higher compression. It’s a grossly overlooked model IMO that should perform better for the moderate SS player than the higher priced ChromeSoft or Bridgestone low compression balls.

That pretty much fits me to a T.  I'm a senior golfer with a slower swing speed and based on your analysis, the Vice Pro Soft might be just perfect for me.  I intend to play it for the next few rounds.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, jjfcpa said:

I have been playing the e12 Contact since they were released and really enjoy them.  They are long, soft but not mushy, and spin reasonably well when hitting into a green.  I also like the feel off the putter, which is very important to me.

I've done some comparisons with the Callaway Chrome Soft because I want to see if a little more spin would improve my short game.  In all honesty, I didn't dislike the CS, but didn't see a lot of benefit to it.  

I recently purchased a dozen of the Vice Pro Soft because, based on the specs, it sounded similar to the e12 in terms of compression; however, the Vice Pro Soft has a urethane cover.  I played 9 holes with the e12 and 9 holes with the Vice and found that the Vice was actually longer... quite a big longer with the driver, woods, and irons.  Pitches and chips will need some work on my part because I'm used to the e12 releasing more than Vice.  However, I did like the feel of the Vice off the putter and putting was very similar to what I could do with the e12.  

I decided to play the Vice for a few more rounds and see if my perception continues... but I do like the added distance, and as a senior golfer, I need all the distance I can get.

Unless feel is a hang up, regardless of your SS, the Vice Pro Plus is going to have a little more distance and spin than the Pro Soft. Both are lower spinning than the Chromesoft but the Pro Plus is pretty close and a much better price than the CS, all are good balls but just a matter of what you are looking for!

25 minutes ago, Londo said:

Unless feel is a hang up, regardless of your SS, the Vice Pro Plus is going to have a little more distance and spin than the Pro Soft. Both are lower spinning than the Chromesoft but the Pro Plus is pretty close and a much better price than the CS, all are good balls but just a matter of what you are looking for!

Based on their website, it sounds like the Pro Plus is intended for higher swing speeds.  Not sure that would fit my ss.  They are comparing it to the ProV1x so it looks like it would be a firmer ball which doesn't fit my personal preference.

8 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

Based on their website, it sounds like the Pro Plus is intended for higher swing speeds.  Not sure that would fit my ss.  They are comparing it to the ProV1x so it looks like it would be a firmer ball which doesn't fit my personal preference.

They are both good balls, unless your SS is very low (<75) you should be able to compress the core just fine and benefit from a bit extra distance. If you prefer a softer ball and it bothers you, the trade off likely isn’t worth it then!

Played 18 holes with the Vice Pro Soft yesterday.  Results were just ok.  I actually felt like I was playing pretty well and hitting the ball pretty well, but just didn't score very well.  That's what bothers me.  I played a familiar course so I know how it plays and how far I should be hitting the ball... and for the most part, I seem to be doing ok with distance and dispersion.  However, I think the spin of the ball was affecting my approach shots and the feel of the ball was affecting my putting.

I've only had two rounds of golf since last May were I averaged more than 2 putts per hole in a round and this was 2.1, which matched my previous high.  The feel was just "different" and it would probably mean that I need a few more rounds in order to get the "feel" that I'm used to with my previous ball.  The approach shots were not releasing like the ball I have been playing so I found myself making longer putts than normal.  Many of my approach shots were within 50 yards and the ball was checking up.  Again, after a few more rounds, I'm sure I could get that under control.

Durability was great.  No problems with that at all.  

On 10/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, Jeff58 said:

My experience with the E12 was exactly the opposite. I played a sleeve of them because of jjfcpa's thread about them and because I really like the E6s a lot. I found the E12s to feel hard and didn't really see any distance gain. I've recently played a couple of "found" E6s and still really liked the way they performed. I really was hoping for better performance from the E12s. I bought a dozen when I got them so I'll give them one more chance but was really disappointed in the first trial.

6 hours ago, bbarnard52 said:

My experience with the E12 was exactly the opposite. I played a sleeve of them because of jjfcpa's thread about them and because I really like the E6s a lot. I found the E12s to feel hard and didn't really see any distance gain. I've recently played a couple of "found" E6s and still really liked the way they performed. I really was hoping for better performance from the E12s. I bought a dozen when I got them so I'll give them one more chance but was really disappointed in the first trial.

Interesting, but I think I know what you mean.  Today I only had time to go to the practice range and took 2 Vice Pro Soft, 2 e12 Contacts, and 2 AVX.  The Vice Pro Soft felt the softest off the putter and wedge, next was the e12 Contact, and finally the AVX.  Although the difference was very subtle and if I wasn't hitting them together, I probably wouldn't  be able to tell the difference.

However, I found that the e12 was best for me when it came to putting.  Distance control and direction was just easier for me with the e12, but of course, I've been playing it for most of the season.  And even though my last round with the Vice Soft Pro was not anything out of the ordinary, I found it pretty comparable (performance wise) to the e12.

The AVX was not far off and I'm sure I could play any of the these 3 balls, but I think the e12 gives me the best performance when putting and chipping.

i played 18 holes with the Vice Pro Soft.  Here are my impressions:

Positives:

1.  The ball definitely seemed to provide more distance off the driver.  I played a course I know very well and my drives on numerous holes were longer than what I have been getting with the e12 Contact.

2.  Off the long irons, I felt like I was getting more distance, but it was difficult to tell because my drives were carrying further so it may have just seemed as thought my long irons were going further.

3.  Short irons were really good and generating a fair bit more spin.  Especially with wedges.  Too bad my putting was not as good as it could be.

4.  I generally have a difficulty putting with a new ball because I've gotten so used to the feel of the e12, but I seemed to have adjusted to the feel of the Vice Pro Soft and felt very confident putting with it.  My putting was off - even though i averaged 1.8 putts per hole during the round.  There were I think 3 putts inside 6 feet that I missed, but it was me, not the ball.

5.  Durability was good.  Hit the cart path twice and a tree as well but the ball held up very well for the entire round.  Other than a couple of minor scuffs, it was as good as any ball I've used.

Cons:

1.  Just slightly firmer than the e12.

2.  i don't generate a lot of spin and I guess I was expecting more since it has a urethane cover compared to the e12, but in all honesty, I don't think it checked up any better on the green than the e12 did.  The greens were really firm and I had some really nice short chips that I felt should have stopped much closer to the pin, but they continued to roll out.  

Overall, my experience was very positive and I'll probably play this ball interchangeably with the e12.  I do like the extra distance off the driver - it was more than a yard or two.

17 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

2.  i don't generate a lot of spin and I guess I was expecting more since it has a urethane cover compared to the e12, but in all honesty, I don't think it checked up any better on the green than the e12 did.  The greens were really firm and I had some really nice short chips that I felt should have stopped much closer to the pin, but they continued to roll out.  

This above is one of the reasons why I really don't stress about not playing a urethane ball. As a slower swinger I've never noticed any check or grab on the greens when I do play a urethane covered ball so I don't mind sticking with surlyn balls.

3 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

This above is one of the reasons why I really don't stress about not playing a urethane ball. As a slower swinger I've never noticed any check or grab on the greens when I do play a urethane covered ball so I don't mind sticking with surlyn balls.

Of course, even low spin players can generate a fair amount of spin on full swings.  I do think that the Vice Pro Soft is generating more spin but on some of the shots, I don't feel it was significant.  However, on some shots, I could see that it was not releasing like the e12 did, and for me, that was a differentiating factor between the two balls.

• Like 2