Sympathy for Rickie

Naptime

2 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

I just wish the guy would play to his potential. He has so much god given talent, I'd love to see him have some fire and dominate the tour for a time. I don't understand why saying he underperforms relative to his talent level is so offensive (what's not these days?), I hope he and YJS make us critics eat our words! 

Take out 2014/15 and he is pretty average for 12 years on the tour

YJS has a lot more natural talent than RF

24 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

He's young, has boat loads of cash, hot wife, highly marketable.... hard to sympathize with the guy.. I mean.... he's living a great life!

Imagine if he finds his groove and wins a major?.... GWRX go...

Surprise Explode GIF by Channel 7

Imagine if he finds his groove and makes consecutive cuts!!! Haha 😆 And yes, it’s ridiculous that there is talk/a thread about having sympathy for him. Even if his wife wasn’t “hot”, (I realize that’s an important ‘performance metric’ here for some) I think he’d be doing better than most. 😉 🤣

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Imagine if he finds his groove and makes consecutive cuts!!! Haha 😆 And yes, it’s ridiculous that there is talk/a thread about having sympathy for him. Even if his wife wasn’t “hot”, (I realize that’s an important ‘performance metric’ here for some) I think he’d be doing better than most. 😉 🤣

Ya is like

Sympathy for Hugh thread 🤣

763855E1-6306-4E99-8AB1-09B2DF3AF380.jpeg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

Lee Westwood has 44 professional wins compared to Rickie's 9.  Lee Westwood has also played in 11 Ryder Cups and has won 24 points. There's a pretty good chance Lee will be at Augusta next year while Rickie will be watching it from his couch again. Rickie should honestly go to the European Tour and try to get some OWGR points over there. 

3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

As I recall Lee spent his time a LOT lower as well.

Live in the now.

5 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

Live in the now.

Well that’s convenient isn’t it?  Lee is 16 years older than Rickie but in talking about careers one is not allowed the normal ebbs and flows?

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

16 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

You doubt that? How many Rickie commercials were there thursday and friday? Usually we're flooded by them..Hard to market some guy that isnt playing the weekends and is ranked 128th 

No clue, wasn’t watching or counting. Which is why they probably weren’t spending big money on adds.  Winning doesn’t really correlate to marketing. It’s more about personality.  Arnie was for many years the biggest earner off the course even though he hadn’t won in 20 years. Tiger will be the same.  If you want to sell mortgages or insurance Rickie will always be your choice over Rahm or Koepka. 

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54,58 Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

7 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

No clue, wasn’t watching or counting. Which is why they probably weren’t spending big money on adds.  Winning doesn’t really correlate to marketing. It’s more about personality.  Arnie was for many years the biggest earner off the course even though he hadn’t won in 20 years. Tiger will be the same.  If you want to sell mortgages or insurance Rickie will always be your choice over Rahm or Koepka. 

What? Winning does not correlate to marketing? Then use Palmer with 62 tour wins and Tiger with 82 as examples?  And you gave a great reason why there were no Rickie ads, because they're not willing to spend "big" money ads with him

Edited by freeze16172002

10 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Well that’s convenient isn’t it?  Lee is 16 years older than Rickie but in talking about careers one is not allowed the normal ebbs and flows?

Whats a LOT lower for Lee? Besides the one year he basically stopped playing and went to 181 he has been no lower then 65. Went to number 1 in the world after that and spent almost 7 years inside the top 10

7 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

There's no statistics to quantify it but I feel like Fowler's commercials have dropped over the last half year as his slump has become apparent.  I don't disagree that some stars don't make great pitchmen but Fowler hasn't accomplished enough where his marketability keeps his endorsements going if he's not a top 50 golfer.  

I'm not sure where his career is headed.  He could be like another former OSU Ryder cup guy like Mahan who's career never recovers or he could have a Spieth like recovery.  If he doesn't start competing soon though I think sponsors are going to start dropping in the first half of 2022

30 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

Whats a LOT lower for Lee? Besides the one year he basically stopped playing and went to 181 he has been no lower then 65. Went to number 1 in the world after that and spent almost 7 years inside the top 10

And yet Lee's only won 2 pga tour events, the biggest stage for pro golf in the world. Rickie's won 5 times... 2.5x more on the Big Stage.  Yes I get it Lee has a lot of wins on other tours, but those are not the most competitive golf stage compared to the PGA Tour and Folwer hasn't competed in those less competitive tours or maybe he'd have more wins. Not only that but Rickie's earned $40M in pga tour earnings compared to Lee's $25M. Rickie's done that in less than 1/2 the time of Lee

Again I originally drew the comparison to be funny because some brit @elwhippy came here disrespecting Fowler.

Bottom line both guys are very popular in their respective nations yet probably have fallen short of expectations thus far. Lee I think holds the record for the most major starts without a  win. Rickie games is clearly in a multi year slump and no major yet his face is everywhere. Yes Fowler is our Westwood and I wish nothing but the best for both men. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

And yet Lee's only won 2 pga tour events, the biggest stage for pro golf in the world. Rickie's won 5 times... 2.5x more on the Big Stage.  Yes I get it Lee has a lot of wins on other tours, but those are not the most competitive golf statge compared to the PGA Tour and Folwer hasn't competed in those less competitive tours or maybe he'd have more wins. Not only that but Rickie's earned $40M in pga tour earnings compared to Lee's $25M. Rickie's done that in less than 1/2 the time of Lee

Again I originally drew the comparison to be funny because some brit @elwhippy came here disrespecting Fowler.

Bottom line both guys are very popular in their respective nations yet probably have fallen short of expectations thus far. Lee I think holds the record for the most major starts without a  win. Rickie games is clearly in a multi year slump and no major yet his face is everywhere. Yes Fowler is our Westwood and I wish nothing but the best for both men. 

Lee Westward was number one in the world and that includes the PGA tour, pretty big stage

10 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

and yet no major and only 2 PGA Tour wins.  Yet again both have fallen short of expectations.  

you are comparing the two? How many majors does Rickie have? You realize that Westwood plays and played most of his golf on the European tour where he is 8th in total wins and golfer of the year 4x's. Maybe you should give it a shot if it's so easy

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

you are comparing the two? How many majors does Rickie have? You realize that Westwood plays and played most of his golf on the European tour where he is 8th in total wins and golfer of the year 4x's. Maybe you should give it a shot if it's so easy

Guys seriously take it to a different thread  we’re here to talk about how tough Rickies life is, not a guy with zero commercials 

• Haha 1

Not sure i have sympathy for someone who has been immensely succesful, like 1% of 1% succesful and seems like a well liked person. I don't think he needs anyone's sympathy

I'd like to see him play better at golf because he seems cool and was easy to root for.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80

Cobra F9 tour 13 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Titleist TS3 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80

Cobra Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus Tour 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 w/ Modus Tour 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

4 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

Stopped playing? He dropped faster than Rickie going from 5th year end 2000 to year end 2002.  He had 28 starts in 2002 and dropped from 28 to 182!

Lets face it….Rickie is struggling. As did Westwood.  A stroke to a stroke and a half scoring average is the difference.  It doesn’t take much to fall 100 places at tour level golf.

Will he get it back? Who knows?  I wouldn’t count him out… or bet on it either.

The game is hard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

You are the one comparing. In 258 starts Lee has 2 wins on the biggest stage.

No one is saying that is awful but it’s not huge.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Westwood is still winning in his late forties. Ricky isn't winning in his thirties. Have a look at their world rankings. 

Great to see him playing well. 

But he still can’t close on the PGA Tour.

He win once in 1998 and once 11 years ago.

He’s had the opportunity to win on the Euro tour and that’s excellent. Rickie never had the same opportunity. 

Overall he’s had a better career but I imagine never winning a major is just a big disappointment for him as for Rickie. . He’s been ranked higher for stretches of time. But also had times his ranking dropped a lot for periods of time.

If anything, it’s a good example for Rickie of how you can bounce back. 

14 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

No clue, wasn’t watching or counting. Which is why they probably weren’t spending big money on adds.  Winning doesn’t always correlate to marketing. It’s more about personality. Arnie was for many years the biggest earner off the course even though he hadn’t won in 20 years. Tiger will be the same.  If you want to sell mortgages or insurance Rickie will always be your choice over Rahm or Koepka. 

Agreed. Winning isn’t always the end all be all for pitchmen. Personality and other reasons can go a long way. This instantly reminded me of Anna Kournikova! She pretty much won nothing (zero WTA titles) but was quite marketable. Natalie Gulbis also comes to mind. TM used her quite a bit for an average at best LPGA player. (One professional win) I realize their ‘marketability’ is for different reasons than Rickie’s. But it does represent that you don’t need to be winning to sell stuff. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Rickie doesn't need sympathy. The boomers who needlessly hate on him because of his clothing choices and marketability will yell at the clouds till the end of their days.

So in other words. Boomers are haters that go outside to yell at the cloud. Of course that’s if they’re not already yelling at someone to get off their lawn. 😜 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Rickie doesn't need sympathy. The boomers who needlessly hate on him because of his clothing choices and marketability will yell at the clouds till the end of their days.

So let me get this straight--- boomers hate on Rickie?  Not seeing any evidence of that here on WRX nor any of my boomer friends.