Tiger Update

PHILsThemannnn

2 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Cosmetically, sure. Especially if you have money.   

physically Tiger has had 5 back surgeries.  Do they do the surgeries better than in 1962, sure.  But it's still back surgery and better might mean being able to walk instead of being in a wheel chair for 10 extra years.  No doubt Hogan's surgery might have had a better outcome today, but maybe not that much better.  He is 55.  Hogan was much younger.  Tiger is now just hoping to be a ceremonial golfer, if he actually contends a few times it would be a bonus.  If I were him I would play golf with my son and stick to spear fishing.  He has done all he needs to prove, leave something left in the tank for when you are 80.  Like being able to walk.  

Hogan's surgical outcome would have been so much better if done today. Even in 1949, Hogan's outcome prior to the blood clots was exceptional and expected to have a full recovery. It's my opinion, but I think Hogan's surgeries, mainly the one that stopped the blood clots, aged him a solid 15 years, maybe more. I see a similarity there with Tiger because both men could probably hit nothing but pure shots on the range after their surgeries, but simply hiking the course was the obstacle (not even touching Hogan's poor eyesight in his left eye after the accident or his constantly hurt shoulder which he later had surgeries on). 

• Like 2

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reforming club addict.

11 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Cosmetically, sure. Especially if you have money.   

physically Tiger has had 5 back surgeries.  Do they do the surgeries better than in 1962, sure.  But it's still back surgery and better might mean being able to walk instead of being in a wheel chair for 10 extra years.  No doubt Hogan's surgery might have had a better outcome today, but maybe not that much better.  He is 55.  Hogan was much younger.  Tiger is now just hoping to be a ceremonial golfer, if he actually contends a few times it would be a bonus.  If I were him I would play golf with my son and stick to spear fishing.  He has done all he needs to prove, leave something left in the tank for when you are 80.  Like being able to walk.  

Not just cosmetically. Huge advancements in all kinds of things in the last 50 years. Physical/sports performance and rehabilitation is no exception by a long shot. If given the choice to come back from any injury now versus 50 years ago… No brainer. I think we agree on that. Also agree that Tiger has nothing to prove. Hope nothing but the best for him in whatever he decides to do. 

37 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Not just cosmetically. Huge advancements in all kinds of things in the last 50 years. Physical/sports performance and rehabilitation is no exception by a long shot. If given the choice to come back from any injury now versus 50 years ago… No brainer. I think we agree on that. Also agree that Tiger has nothing to prove. Hope nothing but the best for him in whatever he decides to do. 

Exactly. My great grandmother died around 1980 and she was 74. She was old. She had trouble moving, seeing, hearing etc. Being 74 in 2021 isn't really a big deal. Helen Mirren is 76 and still active. Arnold is 74 and still out there bad plastic surgery and all. Eric Clapton is 76 and has a big tour planned in 2022. Langer is 64. If you are now 50 think about your grandfather doing things at those ages. Life expectancy in 1950 was less than 70 and today we are at 79. Hogan living to 84 was quite old for someone born in 1912 (life expectancy was 51 at birth)

Quality of life is so much better today that the true decline of being old is pushed off much longer.

21 minutes ago, johnseg said:

Exactly. My great grandmother died around 1980 and she was 74. She was old. She had trouble moving, seeing, hearing etc. Being 74 in 2021 isn't really a big deal. Helen Mirren is 76 and still active. Arnold is 74 and still out there bad plastic surgery and all. Eric Clapton is 76 and has a big tour planned in 2022. Langer is 64. If you are now 50 think about your grandfather doing things at those ages. Life expectancy in 1950 was less than 70 and today we are at 79. Hogan living to 84 was quite old for someone born in 1912 (life expectancy was 51 at birth)

Quality of life is so much better today that the true decline of being old is pushed off much longer.

This guy 70 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kenbone said:

Don't discount what he said about turning 50 and getting a cart. Competition is what he craves and beating up on Phil, Furyk and all those guys again might just keep him going.

Being able to win the US Senior Open will keep him going. He’ll have won all USGA sanctioned events if he wins that. I’m not bothering about the mid-am cause clearly he was never going to compete in it 

• Like 1

First MRI on a live human wasn’t until 1977. That alone speaks volumes. The use of autologous PRP was first used in 1987 during an open heart surgery. After that it was used in orthopedics, sports medicine, neurosurgery and wound healing. Can you imagine an ACL diagnosis, surgery/repair, recovery in 1965 versus today? Those are just a couple examples. 

Edited by TiScape

1 hour ago, johnseg said:

Comparing us regular folk to multimillionaire celebrities is a reach due to quality of life but I agree with your premise.

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

A lot of responsible docs have  switched to Gorilla 🦍 Tape! It’s a whole thing in the medical community! Of course the OGs are steadfast that there is no replacement for good ol’ duct tape. It worked then, it will work now dammit!! 🤣

64E99949-0F9A-40FB-BC7D-7FD89EBD6CD3.jpeg

Don't forget the Crazy Glue.  For those times when tape is a bit much.

Edited by Naptime
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

A lot of responsible docs have  switched to Gorilla 🦍 Tape! It’s a whole thing in the medical community! Of course the OGs are steadfast that there is no replacement for good ol’ duct tape. It worked then, it will work now dammit!! 🤣

Gorilla Tape, to paraphase the slogan from Frank's Hot Sauce - "That Shite sticks to everything!"

• Haha 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

46 minutes ago, dalehead said:

Looking at the 2022 schedule there is one event that if Tiger misses it he will never have the chance to play again. The 150th Open Championship at St. Andrews. Just a thought.

He just said he really wants to play in this year’s Open. It’s his favorite tournament. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I have not read this whole thread  but watching the press conference today made me kind of sad. Hit home that he won't be same. I knew the day was coming and am happy that he is doing well. But somewhere in my heart was hoping that maybe , just maybe we would see it one more time. I know that was more wishful thinking than reality. I am just thankful I got to watch all of his career and appreciate what he was doing knowing no one will ever match what he did. There will never  be another TW.

4 minutes ago, 755 said:

I have not read this whole thread  but watching the press conference today made me kind of sad. Hit home that he won't be same. I knew the day was coming and am happy that he is doing well. But somewhere in my heart was hoping that maybe , just maybe we would see it one more time. I know that was more wishful thinking than reality. I am just thankful I got to watch all of his career and appreciate what he was doing knowing no one will ever match what he did. There will never  be another TW.

Just totally sucks that Tiger’s late prime took a huge hit because of injuries. He obviously has had an unbelievable career, arguably the best ever, but Tiger lost so many great years due to bad luck and some self-inflicted injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping Vault Arna

Time not to play blades Tiger 

• Haha 1

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

11 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

He seemed pretty confident to me that he will play the Tour again. He’s never getting back to 100%. He hasn’t been 100% in 10-15 years, and that was before this year’s accident. His back surgeries have kept him from ever returning to 100%. At this point in his career, Tiger would be happier just playing a very limited schedule and trying to pick off a couple more events. He wants to be able to have a somewhat normal rest of his life and going back to a regular Tour schedule would destroy that.

But his health at 70, 80, 90% or whatever you think his health has been at for the last 10 to 15 years has had some impressive results. Just for perspective, in last 10 years he has won 11 tour events (2 majors). In last 15 years, he has won 36 tour events (5 majors). In last 5 years, he has won 3 events including a Masters and Tour Championship. 

2 hours ago, dalehead said:

Looking at the 2022 schedule there is one event that if Tiger misses it he will never have the chance to play again. The 150th Open Championship at St. Andrews. Just a thought.

He will be 50 when it is likely to be played there again in 2026.

Callaway Epic Speed 9* Graphite Design AD IZ 5S

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

New Level PF-2. DG105 S300

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

1 hour ago, tacklingdummy said:

But his health at 70, 80, 90% or whatever you think his health has been at for the last 10 to 15 years has had some impressive results. Just for perspective, in last 10 years he has won 11 tour events (2 majors). In last 15 years, he has won 36 tour events (5 majors). In last 5 years, he has won 3 events including a Masters and Tour Championship. 

Yep, he’s that good. But what is he now…50%?

Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping Vault Arna

7 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

He will be 50 when it is likely to be played there again in 2026.

OK, I’ll go slow. Tiger will have other opportunities to play in the Open, including at St. Andrews. But he will have only one opportunity to play in the 150th Open. It’s going to be a big deal. Everyone in golf is going to be there, either playing or taking part in the celebration. And it’s at St. Andrews. Might be a good event to point to for a return to competition.

3 minutes ago, dalehead said:

OK, I’ll go slow. Tiger will have other opportunities to play in the Open, including at St. Andrews. But he will have only one opportunity to play in the 150th Open. It’s going to be a big deal. Everyone in golf is going to be there, either playing or taking part in the celebration. And it’s at St. Andrews. Might be a good event to point to for a return to competition.

Thank you so much for the clarification. You are such a kind and patient poster to help like that. He will likely be there and would like to be playing if ready.  If not he won’t.  That simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9* Graphite Design AD IZ 5S

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

New Level PF-2. DG105 S300

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

He may well come back, he may even win again. I have never counted him out, never thought it was over, not in 2019 or at the time of any of his other injuries.

I just wish he wouldn't.

I was at the Masters in 2019, and the twist he was still putting on his back from his hip clearance (even compared to other players) was phenomenal, you don't get that from tv.

At the time, I thought he's gonna pay for this in later years, and before his accident this year we was clearly on heavy pain meds (the tv interview from the day before). Haven't changed my view, I don't want to see him compete again, for the sake of his health. 

8 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Just totally sucks that Tiger’s late prime took a huge hit because of injuries. He obviously has had an unbelievable career, arguably the best ever, but Tiger lost so many great years due to bad luck and some self-inflicted injuries. 

It does suck, but that's what defines a legend.  If he didn't push it so hard, he never would have achieved greatness.  High level performance and success comes with a cost of admission.  Late in his career, Jack needed 45 minutes of PT before teeing it up.

Larry Bird and Mickey Mantle - same thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

What he did in the past is totally irrelevant after the February crash. He is cooked like last week's turkey.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

What he did in the past is totally irrelevant after the February crash. He is cooked like last week's turkey.

Was what “he did in the past totally irrelevant” after he had back fusion, cut through the young guns like butter, rose to #5, and won the Masters? 

; )

• Like 1