Keeping a good round going - what works?

Golf really does bring out every emotion! This weekend i've played twice. Two tough par 72 courses. Playing off 12, i had a 39 on the front saturday, followed by a very scrappy 44 (which probably should have been higher). Today, I went out in 38 and came back in 51! Two trebles and 3 doubles. 

I know i should stay in the moment, focus on my routine etc. but i find it really tough to stay calm. I stop swinging the club and start steering it, particularly off the tee. 

Anyone got any advice for this situation? Feels like the only thing stopping me from being a 70s shooter is a mental block. 

Hit ball, find it, and repeat until you're finished. It's really that simple.

• Like 2

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF  80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCI MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

Honestly..do your best to not keep a count of where you at in relation to par. I use to obsess about what my score was and what I had to do on the remaining holes to get total I’d be happy with. Rarely did I not stumble somewhat coming in. Not until I stopped keeping my cumulative store did I start breaking through. Id just write my score down and not even look at it again until I tally it up at the end of the round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TSI3 @ 7.25* - Ventus black 7x
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Honma 737v 4-P - Modus 120tx
RTX Zipcore 52* & 56* - X100

Scotty Cameron Catalina Two

8 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

Honestly..do your best to not keep a count of where you at in relation to par. I use to obsess about what my score was and what I had to do on the remaining holes to get total I’d be happy with. Rarely did I not stumble somewhat coming in. Not until I stopped keeping my cumulative store did I start breaking through. Id just write my score down and not even look at it again until I tally it up at the end of the round.

I've never been able to do that. It's automatic for me that i know where I stand vs par. I'll have to try something though!

• Like 2

Most of the time I'm aware of the score.  The one thing that is a killer is getting to a spot on the course and there is a hold up and disturbs the rhythm.  That's when the brain gets involved.  I try to not engage my brain about golf until it is my turn to hit.  In a casual round, I might not keep score and fill it out at the end and see what the number is.  Or, if I'm aware, I try to remind myself the number at the end is just a number.  Nobody really cares if it is 73 or 78 or 82.  Nobody.  

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, Bandonhacker said:

I've never been able to do that. It's automatic for me that i know where I stand vs par. I'll have to try something though!

It’s difficult when you’ve spent so many years doing it. But it is doable just as breaking any habit. Of course you will have an understanding of how you’re playing and scoring but if you can only focus on the next shot(cliche I know) and not where you lie on relation to par, it can pay dividends for someone who struggles closing out good rounds. Once you’re able to do it a couple times it will get much easier and you will be able to know where you stand and not let it bother you and consume your focus. 

TSI3 @ 7.25* - Ventus black 7x
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Honma 737v 4-P - Modus 120tx
RTX Zipcore 52* & 56* - X100

Scotty Cameron Catalina Two

2 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

Great way to play, if you can. I've found that as I've aged (currently 69) I can do this easier since I can't remember what I had on the last hole ....... guess there is some benefit to getting older besides the senior tees 🙂

• Like 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

4 hours ago, Bandonhacker said:

Same. I spent years trying to ignore score, and it never worked for me. I would just get more and more frustrated as score kept intruding into my thought process. I've come to accept that I cannot ignore the score. I now allow myself to think about score, but I use it as a chance to focus myself on each individual shot. By not fighting those thoughts, I find that they less frequently pop into my head during the crucial moments right before and during my swing. Instead I am more focused on just feeling for the shot I selected prior to starting my pre-shot routine and executing that.

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant - Diamana Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

1 hour ago, EDT501 said:

Same. I spent years trying to ignore score, and it never worked for me. I would just get more and more frustrated as score kept intruding into my thought process. I've come to accept that I cannot ignore the score. I now allow myself to think about score, but I use it as a chance to focus myself on each individual shot. By not fighting those thoughts, I find that they less frequently pop into my head during the crucial moments right before and during my swing. Instead I am more focused on just feeling for the shot I selected prior to starting my pre-shot routine and executing that.

Thanks, that seems like maybe the way forward for me - any advice on pre-shot routines, or how exactly you use the score to focus (rather than scare) yourself?

Have a solid pre shot routine. Have a solid decision making and common sense on how to go about the shot on hand. Execute the pre shot routine, execute the shot on hand. Move on. Repeat. It's not that simple in real life but that is what worked for me this season. 

Birdie, double bogey, my routine never changes. My mood never changes. My feelings are always flat. 

It took me a while to master it as I was a very emotional golfer in the past. Mistakes irritates me and I am an emotional roller coaster when I used to play. LOL 

Edited by msg

13 minutes ago, Bandonhacker said:

Thanks, that seems like maybe the way forward for me - any advice on pre-shot routines, or how exactly you use the score to focus (rather than scare) yourself?

I let myself think about score prior in terms of shot selection and overall hole strategy. For example, “I’m 2 over and feel like I’m playing well enough to shoot even today. This is a hole that suits me and I feel really good about, so I’ll take an aggressive line off the tee and set myself up for a tight approach.” From there, I’ve set my strategy and can focus on executing the shot at hand. I’ve found that by letting myself address the question of score early, which no matter how hard I try is always in the back of mind, I am more easily able to focus on the task at hand, namely, hitting the next shot. 

My pre-shot routine isn’t as exacting as some prefer. I always pick my shot prior to putting on my glove and pulling the club. Then I make easy practice swings just feeling for length of the swing, tempo, and the shot shape I want to hit. Once I feel comfortable with my motion. I step from behind the ball into address, take a last look at the target, visualizing the shot, and then pull the trigger.

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant - Diamana Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

12 hours ago, msg said:

Have a solid pre shot routine. Have a solid decision making and common sense on how to go about the shot on hand. Execute the pre shot routine, execute the shot on hand. Move on. Repeat. It's not that simple in real life but that is what worked for me this season. 

Birdie, double bogey, my routine never changes. My mood never changes. My feelings are always flat. 

It took me a while to master it as I was a very emotional golfer in the past. Mistakes irritates me and I am an emotional roller coaster when I used to play. LOL 

Thanks @msg. Could you give a quick overview of your routine? 

12 hours ago, EDT501 said:

I let myself think about score prior in terms of shot selection and overall hole strategy. For example, “I’m 2 over and feel like I’m playing well enough to shoot even today. This is a hole that suits me and I feel really good about, so I’ll take an aggressive line off the tee and set myself up for a tight approach.” From there, I’ve set my strategy and can focus on executing the shot at hand. I’ve found that by letting myself address the question of score early, which no matter how hard I try is always in the back of mind, I am more easily able to focus on the task at hand, namely, hitting the next shot. 

My pre-shot routine isn’t as exacting as some prefer. I always pick my shot prior to putting on my glove and pulling the club. Then I make easy practice swings just feeling for length of the swing, tempo, and the shot shape I want to hit. Once I feel comfortable with my motion. I step from behind the ball into address, take a last look at the target, visualizing the shot, and then pull the trigger.

Thanks for that detail! Super helpful.

First is a good pre-shot routine. This helps a person stay in the shot at hand. Note: Don't ask me because I'm 50/50 at pulling a solid PSR off most of the time.

Secondly what has helped me not focus on my 18 hole score is to break up the round into smaller segments. Some people look at the full 18 holes as a whole for score. Some look at the front and back nines. I generally go down to three 6 hole segments. Looking at it as six 3 hole segments would work too. 

For each six holes I set a target score. Say for a bogey golfer its +4 for every six holes. Finish the first six at +7, no problem, I get to start over on holes 7 to 12 with a target of +4.

I've found it helps me reset when I've got a bad round going. It also takes some pressure off when a good round is in progress by giving me a new target score every six holes to focus on. Instead of letting myself think "don't screw up and ruin the good round I have going".

Goonga Goonga Doonga

On 10/11/2021 at 3:40 AM, Bandonhacker said:

Thanks @msg. Could you give a quick overview of your routine? 

Sure. I would of course assess the current shot to be played. The usual, the distance, wind, elevation if ever, check the lie. Get a club. Commit to the club. I would really zone out at this point as I am only thinking about the shot and nothing else. 

Then my actual pre shot routine would start by swinging once, practice swing on what kind of swing I want to execute. I do this behind the ball and as I do it, I pick a intermediate target and lock into that target. 

I put the club face first to align and then my body follows. One last look at the target and I swing away. All of this is done in about 15 seconds to 20 seconds. 

After the shot has been executed, I accept whatever it is. Good or bad, then proceed to walk and talk to my buddies or enjoy the golf course, the weather and the fact that I am golfing and not stuck in the office. lol 

I do this every time on each shot. My routine for my putting and chipping are a bit different but not that much. In my experience, when I really drilled this routine in my head, it became automatic. Sure I don't always shoot very low scores but ever since embracing this idea of just do every thing the same way I do on each shot regardless if it is a chance for eagle or a salvage chip to avoid a double, my game and consistency has improved a lot. And I feel less stressed and more happy when I play. 

I treat my game as a string of shots and that string of shots, I need to execute and solve and it starts at the first tee box with the first tee shot and ends at the last hole at with the last putt. I have been playing this golf for two plus years now and it is just recently where I truly understood what they meant when they say that golf is a mental game. 

Edited by msg

I have a bad habit of anticipating a certain score only to collapse in the last few holes. The last time I was 4 over after 14 and thinking about breaking 80 for the first time, I shot bogey, bogey, bogey and double the last 4 holes and ended up with an 81.

I agree on needing a solid preshot routine. I am working on it right now and even at the range, I will use the preshot routine for everyshot. Hope it works.

Right now I need to get a good round going.  Trying to re-learn a better set-up position and playing golf and playing golf swing do not mix.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I always play best when I "call my shots".  

Even if its just a slight whisper.  Does not have to be directed toward someone else.  But it works best if you can hear it yourself.  

This takes your mind away from everything else and lets you totally concentrate at the task at hand.

IE...

Whispering and seeing he ball go in your mind....

I'll start this approach at the left sand trap and hit a high fade to the pin.

or

I'll tee this low, aim at the large tree beyond the fairway, and hit a low draw under the wind toward the dogleg.

You'll be amazed how this takes your mind to thinking only about the shot at hand and nothing else.  And how often it actually works!!  

BTW - this also takes your mind off mechanics of the swing and to a point that you are playing the game of golf, not swing.

Edited by 596
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 10:04 AM, nitram said:

Hit ball, find it, and repeat until you're finished. It's really that simple.

And that difficult.  Once I figured out that it was that simple , it’s was easy.    The only hiccup I see now is a really early screw up.    Just have to put your head down and say “ Ef it “ and not think of score ….   To me that’s when the game is hard.  

Having a good round going. That’s easy.  Just keep your mind thinking about the shot in front of you.  That’s it.  come up for air when the last putt drops.   

I find walking helps this mindset.  Less distractions with people in carts and carts themselves.  

• Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

callaway xforged UT 21* ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw  MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

1 hour ago, 596 said:

Even if its just a slight whisper.  Does not have to be directed toward someone else.  But it works best if you can hear it yourself.  

This takes your mind away from everything else and lets you totally concentrate at the task at hand.

IE...

or

I'll tee this low, aim at the large tree beyond the fairway, and hit a low draw under the wind toward the dogleg.

You'll be amazed how this takes your mind to thinking only about the shot at hand and nothing else.  And how often it actually works!!  

BTW - this also takes your mind off mechanics of the swing and to a point that you are playing the game of golf, not swing.

Oh yea.  I talk to myself the whole round.  Low whisper.  I’ll say the number , wind if it is there , and desired shape at least twice as I setup to the ball.  It’s pretty hard to think of other things if you’re saying one thing to yourself while unconsciously going through the preshot snd setting up to the ball. There isn’t room for other brain functions.  

Edited by bladehunter

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

And that difficult.  Once I figured out that it was that simple , it’s was easy.    The only hiccup I see now is a really early screw up.    Just have to put your head down and say “ Ef it “ and not think of score ….   To me that’s when the game is hard.  

Having a good round going. That’s easy.  Just keep your mind thinking about the shot in front of you.  That’s it.  come up for air when the last putt drops.   

I find walking helps this mindset.  Less distractions with people in carts and carts themselves.  

This is where I think most folks are better off (if possible) playing match play vs stroke play. One bad hole doesn't take you out of the running and you still have a good chance to win. Another thing is if you're playing a solo round, stop taking mulligan's or practice shots. Hit the shot in front of you and live with the result(s). You will begin to accept the results in a real match more readily and it not weigh you down (as badly) during the round.

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF  80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCI MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

1 hour ago, 596 said:

IE...

or

This seems to work well for me, too. I’m very competitive and at the same time super analytical about the game. I love picking a strategy to conquer a hole, and it has trickled down to planning out every single shot prior to hitting, but concentrating ONLY on the next shot.

This might sound like it takes a long time but no, I just have this routine where I go through my options when I walk up to my ball and pick the one I’m convinced is the best. Initiate pre-shot routine and it’s go time. I’m always convinced that I picked the right club, so it’s only a matter of execution. Rinse and repeat for each shot.

It’s astonishing how this takes my mind off of the „hope I don’t screw this one up“ thought train I used to jump on. 
I have lowered my scores from low-mid 90‘s to low mid 80‘s just by doing that. And loads of practice heh

34 minutes ago, nitram said:

This is where I think most folks are better off (if possible) playing match play vs stroke play. One bad hole doesn't take you out of the running and you still have a good chance to win. Another thing is if you're playing a solo round, stop taking mulligan's or practice shots. Hit the shot in front of you and live with the result(s). You will begin to accept the results in a real match more readily and it not weigh you down (as badly) during the round.

Absolutely. Match play is easy in my opinion.  A much easier game.  Make a mistake who cares. Worst result is loss of hole.  It’s 18 matches  in my opinion. 

• Like 1

When I'm playing well and in the zone, I really just focus on the shot and am pretty oblivious to everything else (including the score). If I make a bogey I feel like I can easily make it up on the next hole, no biggy.

When I'm not playing well, I'm typically sweating the score or thinking about swing thoughts or some other crap (fuming about a bad bounce or a 3-putt). It's hard to mentally pull out of a bad round, and turn it around, but I've done it. I'll typically just stop caring (become self aware enough that I SHOULD be enjoying myself regardless of the score) and just accept that it's "not my day"... then I'll plunk down a birdie and laugh.

What I find impossible to enjoy or correct is those days when the putter refuses to cooperate and you have no feel or anything on the greens. Scared of every putt, can't make anything, anything over 10 ft can be a 3-putt.... very rare, but they do happen a couple times a season. Utterly depressing.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

2 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

... not getting tired.  If I get tired for whatever reason I start mailing it in. 

If I have good energy throughout the round, way better to overcome any hiccups that happen

I totally agree!

Why rounds gotta be 4-5 hours long... I'm tired just thinkin of it..... I mean not many sports take up half a day... besides maybe cricket and that doesn't count!

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

With all the apps, different gambling games, scorecard in your face, etc...it's pretty hard not to know your score.  I can understand if you are a 15 cap (or worse); that's a lot of big numbers to keep track of.  But when you make no worse than bogey, it's easy to know how close to par you sit.  So know it, then forget it, focus on the next shot.

I know what my score is, but I am careful not to "interpret" that score.  Just know the number, that's it.  No thinking stupid things like "if I par out from here..." or "I need two birdies to get to...", etc... so many people go from their score to scenarios, possibilities, judgements...stop all that.

My primary goal is the planning and executing the best shot possible given the situation at hand.  It means getting very specific with having a plan, be committed.  Accept the result, the do it again.  The overall goal more important than thinking score is to try to string good shots together.