MEMBER REVIEWS: Takomo Golf Iron 201 Set! See What Members Are Saying!

1354909695_TAKOMATESTINGREVIEWS.png.9d56611c5187ec031ec1abebe4a5a903.png

We have three members testing out the new Takomo Golf Iron 201 Set! The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them! The testers are:

@Hairpie

@cflo2382

@benthegolfer

Thank you to @Takomofor putting on this member testing event!

• Like 2

First and foremost I'd like to thank Golfwrx and Takomo golf for this amazing opportunity. I've been with Golfwrx since it's inception. I remember the days when I would literally enter every single giveaway or testing thread. Those days are gone for me as there are some that I don't even bother entering because I know I don't have the game or swing speed to give a proper test or review. Like all Wrxer's there is the occasional thread that I REALLY want to win, and this was just that for me.

I was a pretty good player in my younger days (+2 at my best), qualified for the USGA Pub linx in 1992, and played scratch events for the better part of 15 years. Marriage and children subsequently put tournament golf in the rear-view mirror. I'm now 6 months away from turning 60 and am closer to a 10 handicap now. I can still chip and putt the eyes out of it but inconsistency (especially with the driver) makes it possible for me to shoot 78-92 on any given day. While I could wax poetic on my transition from my beloved S300's to the graphite shafts I play now, this should be about the club head's rather than the shafts.

The former player in me still searches for the most forgiving heads I can stomach at address and the Takomos fit that bill perfectly. They came boxed perfectly; each head bubble wrapped, each club in its own sleeve, and the box also included a nice towel and hat replete with the Takomo logo!  A very nice touch indeed.

These sticks are gorgeous. Toplines and soles not too thick, minimal offset, and a satin finish that I've always much preferred to shiny chrome. First and foremost, they are soft! Even with the aforementioned packaging, they still had a couple of dings already when I opened them. Yes, I will be using iron covers with them....!

So how do they perform?  I've got a couple range sessions and 1 round with them now (in a 25 mph wind) and these are definitely player's sticks. They performed much like a blade for me. My current irons are Honma tw 747x with graphite shafts and these are a bit more demanding. If I had to compare them to previous irons I've played, they're very close performance wise to Srixon Z765's. I played those and the 565's which I settled on for the forgiveness factor. You will know fairly rapidly that the Takomo 201's require you to be a decent ball striker; you will feel the misses in your hands instantly along with a 5-10 yard loss of distance. They're a bit more forgiving towards the toe vs. heel as well. The upside is well struck shots give that glorious forged feel. I tried them from perfect lies, hardpan, and heavy rough and the soles performed beautifully for me. Where they really shined for me was trajectory control. As previously stated I played in some serious wind today, and my range sessions were gusty as well. I hit 3/4 knockdowns with ease with these sticks; and I enjoyed that shot so much I was playing it all day today ,regardless of wind direction. If you like to work the ball and vary your trajectory you will LOVE these sticks. The only cons for me at this point is that the shafts (KBS C Taper Lite in Reg) might not be a good fit for me. I've never gotten along with KBS shafts and though I still play a stiff in Nippons and in my graphite shafted Honmas, these still play stiffer for me than those. But this isn't about shafts, it's about the heads; and from their minimal offset, not too thick topline, sole width, and perfect finish, they are hard not to love. I think Takomo really has something here, and the price point makes them even more attractive. You'd be hard pressed to find a better looking and performing club at their current price. I do, however, think they could be much more successful if they can increase their shaft offerings in the future. If they can somehow reach a point where they can offer the player DG, Rifle, Nippon, etc. as an option, the sky's the limit. Feel free to ask me any questions . I've tried to include a topline/address pic of every iron (4-pw) so without further Ado, here's the pics....

Screenshot_20211011-134638.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134654.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134707.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134719.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134732.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134747.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134756.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134802.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134809.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134819.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134859.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-135132.jpg

Screenshot_20211011-134826.jpg

Edited by Hairpie
  • Like 2

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Want to say thanks to GolfWRX and Takomo for this opportunity. I’ve been on this site since 2008 and opportunities like this are what make it so unique. I want to try and stay organized here so I’ll divide things up and please feel free to reply with questions. The irons came today and I got home from the office just in time to make it to the course for a little while. 

Me/My Game— I played competitive junior golf with a + handicap for a couple years before going to college and ultimately putting it down in favor of other.. pursuits. Over the past 5-7 years I’ve tried to maintain my game bouncing anywhere from +1 to probably now what is a traveling 3-4. I still try to play 18 holes once a week if my girlfriend isn’t in town but often sneak out after work to hit wedges , stay loose. Without a commitment to play competively anymore, I can’t cover up based on my BST ads that I literally try new clubs all the time. I keep a set of wedges and have about 3-4 putters kicking around but everything else is a revolving door. If it is on the market, I’ve probably owned it at least once. 

The Delivery/First Impression. the post above was spot on about the presentation of these clubs. Each club head was individually wrapped with a Takomo Hat and Towel placed in the box as an added bonus. I can attest to what HairPie said about them being soft - in fact, I knew they were soft before I even struck a ball because of a light chatter mark in one of the irons right when I removed the wrapper. Now, I don’t say that to discredit their durability— but let’s be honest. If you have been around long enough to have tried the legendary Srixon 745s you know how soft “soft” can be. Those irons were very similar where they would have some chatter on them almost instantly. I am so impressed that an iron at this price point would be of that quality as far as the forging. 

The Set Up— I received the 4-PW set and selected the KBS C-Taper Lite 115X Shafts. Based on what I saw with the lofts on the site and the way my game has been trending, I was not ballzy enough to get them with the 130X. The lighter weight is more manageable and will help me enjoy the irons more like the sets I’ve been gravitating toward recently. 

The Course / My Thoughts — I’ll start with one word - soft. If you’ve played 745, Mizuno, you will be right at home with these. I hit a handful of shots with the wedge, 9, 7, and 4 iron. The irons have a leading edge grind that feels awesome going through the turf and you can tell the soles were well thought out. I’m always kind of concerned with a lower price point club that they have to cut corners somewhere. I really don’t think they did here. The irons are nice and compact from heel to toe. If I had one part I’d change aesthetically, I’d maybe make the top line slightly thinner. The closest iron on the market Id compare it to is the Callaway X Forged 2018 model— a nice compact iron with maybe a hair thicker top line than other CBS in its class.

Two things that stuck out to me: 

First— I typically pull 9 iron from 145-150– I dropped 2 balls down at the 150 marker and set up. Flushed first ball and flew the green. Second one i tugged a little- also flew the green. I think the C Taper Shaft definitely spins less than some I’ve been using lately so with my gamer ball ProV1X Left Dash I may have to take a look at spin numbers to get dialed in. Anytime I start flying greens with short clubs it’s typically that sort of issue.
Second— I’m fairly confident at this point even after just a few swings the long irons are absolute rockets in this set. On my last two holes I decided to drop 2 balls on each tee and hit them with the 4 iron. Much to my surprise, they absolutely sailed. I probably covered 215-220 with each of them, which is longer than I’m used to (205-210). As with the 9 iron comment above, it’s possible the shaft is helping, but I know lofts here in long irons are strong too. I think these are very similar to Srixon irons— longer than most others in their class. 

I am looking forward to taking these out again the next couple of nights to see how they perform on the range / how workable they are etc. I will be sure to report back with additional findings. Feel free to ask any questions! 

Pics below — enjoy! 

9043F346-5CEF-4D36-A56A-7C42D9942F61.jpeg

AF153CA7-7965-4182-B8BE-CA8E4EE438F0.jpeg

9FD7DF1D-957C-40F3-8C8F-8711CDBBFDA0.jpeg

4AE96098-E292-478F-9492-13B1E8DB8835.jpeg

A8CC0646-3B2F-429B-80F4-BF85A9B70607.jpeg

6AFDB0B8-6E25-4000-B32D-B041596AD512.jpeg

36D61129-818C-4584-BAB2-4C46028F1B0E.jpeg

BE87EDC2-9FDD-40F1-966D-0B0B7E7D1E7F.jpeg

C1980895-167F-466A-BD94-9876A42CB92A.jpeg

41C130DC-7859-4262-9929-8E875765ACE9.jpeg

FDE9F664-5D09-4621-A5C2-519807E456A5.jpeg

8715F2E5-9CFB-4742-A227-08C50B89C435.jpeg

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

Thank you GolfWRX and Takomo for such an awesome opportunity. I enter a ton of the "testers wanted" and giveaway contests and I am super excited that I was picked for this one. Like many of us, I love testing new products, especially irons. I've always been interested to see how some of the smaller Direct to Consumer (DTC) companies compare to the bigger brands. I've tried some of the other DTC brands (New Level and Sub70) and they are as good as anything out there. To be honest, I've never heard of Takomo before seeing the contest post. I checked out their website and they seem fairly newer to the market. They offer two irons, the Iron 101 (that I believe have been out for a little bit) and these Iron 201s (that appear to have just released late September). I am curious what their plans are for future products. Anyways, here is my review (so far) on the Iron 201:

Background: I've been playing golf for about 23 years and I'm coming off the best season of my golfing "career". I was previously just a "leasure/social" type golfer. I played fairly often, rocked the same set of clubs from 2008-2017, and never tracked a handicap. If I had to guess what it was I'd probably say an 8 or 9 handicap between 2010-2018. I started taking my golf game (and equipment) much more seriously about 3-4 years ago. Practicing a ton and tinkering it up with equipment to find out what works best for me. My game improved greatly since. My main goal this year was to get down to a 2 handicap (started the year at 4) and I am currently sitting at 1.9. I worked really hard on certain areas of my game and I feel that one of the biggest parts of my improvement came from my iron play. I rocked the legendary PING s55 irons the whole year and I absolutely loved them. I've gamed many iron sets over the last 3-4 years (AP2s, Miura's, Blueprints, Mizunos, several Srixon models) and I have tried many others. I strongly prefer a smaller, compact, player type profile when it comes to irons. Very little offset, thin top line, MB or CB. I can usually tell immediately at address if an iron is going to work for me.

First Thoughts: My set arrived last week (10/5). I was super eager to unbox them. They included a hat and towel which I thought was a very nice touch. All iron heads we double wrapped in bubble wrap and each had a plastic sleeve covering up the shafts. However, I was kind of shocked to find that some of the heads did arrive with some small dings/clatter on them. I would highly encourage Takomo to use some type of foam club holder system for shipping or something that keeps the clubs from moving around. Since the clubs were able to freely move around in the box, that likely caused the dings/clatter to occur. At the end of the day, these things are made of some super soft steel and these dings would have likely occurred on the way to the course/range for the first time anyways. These sticks look great. The quality of the forging is excellent. I am huge fan of the milling lines on the back of cavities, too. The build quality looks to be top notch. Ferrules perfect, lengths spot on, grips lined up right. I even checked the swing weights and these were all D4 and PW at D5. All spot on. Before even hitting these, I am super impressed with the builds. Looks wise, they remind me a lot of the PING i210 from the back but with the size and shape of the Srixon z745/65/85 series. The soles are not too big, not too small, kind of perfect size, really. There is some leading edge relief. They set up nice next to the ball and frame it well. My only gripe, as you might have expected, is that the top lines are bit thicker than I prefer. I was able to chip around with the PW in my basement off the carpet and it felt very soft.

The Setup - I went with 4-PW, C-Taper 130x, w/ Lamkin Crossline standards. Everything is standard/stock L/L/L across the board. I play my irons +1/2", traditional lofts (46* PW), and standard lies. I was really hoping to order these in my specs but unfortunately that wasn't an option for this testing. That's no biggie. I can always grip these a little higher to get that +1/2" feel. They only offer KBS shafts right now so I went with the KBS C-Taper 130X. Forgot how dang stout these are. I would have picked the 125S+ if it was an option. The stock lofts are rather strong. 31* 7 iron (I play 34*) so about 3* stronger than what I am used to. I might get these bent weaker for further testing purposes but going to try them out as is for now.

Testing: (Please note, I will be adding more to this section as time goes on).

10/12: The day after these arrived I was heading out of town for the weekend so I was not able to do any testing right away. I was finally able to take some of these up the range last night (10/11). I brought the evens 4,6,8,PW along with some Mizuno MP-64s that of course I am tinkering around with 😆. The range was mats only due to some recent rain but I snuck a few shots off the grass, too. I warmed up with the Mizunos so that I could switch over to these ready to go. I grabbed the 6i first. The range has a flag/green set up about 200 yards out (typically my 5i) so I was aiming at that since the 6i loft is only 1* weaker than my 5i. First swing was flushed. Nice high tight draw that landed just right of the pin. Felt incredible. Now I'm intrigued. I continued to hit several more balls at that pin and most continued to have the same flight characteristics and were landing close. I missed a few away from the middle of the face and you could definitely feel the difference but they didn't suffer a ton of distance loss. I dabbled in the 4i next and was getting a nice high flight. What impressed me the most was how high the long irons were launching, especially with the C-Tapers plugged in. I typically hit the ball a bit lower than I would like to. But the launch window that I was getting on these was great. Unfortunately, no numbers to share but I'm sure a monitor would show the difference. What I liked most was how easy these were to work. I was able to hit nice fades and draws on command. Flighting low and high, no problem. I moved over to the 8i and PW and aimed at some closer pins. These did launch a tad higher than I preferred in the 8i and PW but everything held the line and were very consistent. The feel is very soft yet slightly dense at the same time (which I love). I wouldn't consider these mushy soft by any means. Sometimes too soft just doesn't work for me. I like having some feedback and these fit the bill. Keep in mind, this was with some range balls (decent quality). I will be testing with ProV1x balls on the course next. I probably hit about 40-50 balls with these. So far, I'm very impressed after that range session.

10/13: Brought the full set to a grass range and hit about 60 balls. I hit most shots with the 7 iron which is typically my go to for practice. These are awesome through the turf. They glide through effortlessly. I am fairly steep and had no issues at all. I was hitting some great shots with the first 30-40 balls. I'm not going to lie, I definitely wore myself out with the C-Taper 130s. Had to slow it down a bit with the 2nd half of the bucket. I used the last 1/3 of the bucket to practice some knock downs shots and punches. They performed very well. I'd love to try these with some x100s or the standard KBS Tour 130s. I have a few x100s laying around and might be worth rebuilding one as an experiment. We'll see.

10/18: I was able to get out and play 2/3 of a round Thursday (got rained out) and a full round yesterday (Sunday). Here's some takeaways from on course experience with the Takomos: They are incredibly soft w/ premium golf balls vs the range balls, which is probably pretty obvious. Some of the shots I hit, especially off the tee, felt incredible. I somewhat retract my original statement about them feeling soft yet dense. These lean more towards very soft to me but yet very responsive of where the ball is making contact on the face. Yesterday, on most shorter par 4s, I hit the 4 iron from the tee and it's a bomber. Reminded me of hitting a driving iron. I actually didn't get to hit many mid iron (6-7 iron) shots. I just never really had those distances so unfortunately not much feedback there. The short irons played very accurate. They do fly a tad higher than I like which is kind of odd considering the strong lofts and heavy low/low shafts. But again, they held the lines just fine and were mostly accurate. I did have some trouble getting my distances right with these. Most clubs are 3* stronger than I am used to. I found myself just playing one iron weaker for what I was used to with my current distances. I still found myself coming up short or even long on some occasions. Obviously, that's just something that one would need to get used to and re-learn the distances. These did dig a bit more than I originally experienced at the range. I had some monster divots after some shots. I definitely paid for some chunky shots more than I am used to with the S55s. It was very windy yesterday and I didn't really have any issues with flighting these lower or higher depending on the wind. That is always nice to see. I do think the C-tapers help a bit with that, too. Overall, I'm still very impressed with these irons. Golf season is nearing an end here in Michigan. I will likely play one more round with these but I do want to get a few more rounds in with my gamers. I might try to get out with a half set with irons (matching distances) with each set to give a head to head comparison. I will report back with some updates.

10/28 - Got out for 9 holes with these on my main course. I've been excited to get out here with these since (for the most part) I know my typical approach yardages for this track. Unfortunately, I struggled with almost every club in the bag today. Driver was all over the place and I never really got a true comparison to where I am normally hitting my irons from for approaches. I did hit some decent shots with these, though. I was able to hit a lot of shots from 190-210 from the fairway and rough so it gave me a good idea of how to long irons play. Mostly nice high shots that landed soft. I was getting a bit "tuggy" on some shots finishing just left off my target line but nothing super punishing. Still very impressed with these irons. They feel great and are much more forgiving than most.

Final Review 10/31 - I'm in Michigan, so outdoor golf is about finished up for me. I figured I'd give some final feedback on these. I think they are great sticks. I'll echo most of the things that I have previously said: They look good, they feel good, and they are fairly forgiving. I think they are a great entry iron for someone looking to make the transition from a game improvement style to a forged players distance iron.  I'd really like to play these with the lofts weakened to traditional lofts (46* PW w/ 4* increments). I think that would give me a true comparison to what I am used to. To add to that, weakening the lofts will remove some offset and add some more bounce. That would REALLY line up well for me on a setup stand point. I'd also like to try these out with some different shafts. I typically play heavy X-stiff in everything but the 130X C-Tapers are just a tad too much for me to hit consistently. I feel like I really have to go after it with these shafts which I don't always like to do. If you're wondering if these will stay in the bag for me the answer is likely not. I just prefer something a little bit smaller and more traditional lofts. I have heard that they are working on releasing another forged players iron that is supposed to be smaller than these. Sounds like those my be my jam and I'd love to try them.

Please send any questions that you guys might have. Here are some pictures:

PXL_20211006_214900340.jpg.837e45995492774be63a2bc46ef0fffb.jpgPXL_20211006_214919613.PORTRAIT.jpg.a54b261cfde6744d013d924386437c32.jpgPXL_20211012_131429118.jpg.4e0065bb9575ad4af0f1f779cc474789.jpgPXL_20211012_131433675.jpg.d85e6976f2a8fe6e3e14a2e086c3d29d.jpgPXL_20211012_131444446.jpg.e2c481909dc767b078b4b6dd3705d594.jpgPXL_20211012_131450605.jpg.494ed93b187b703f1dcfa72f2fe31449.jpgPXL_20211012_131522416.jpg.20baa41b935e434af6405f7d6fe3a39b.jpgPXL_20211012_131529870.jpg.31417d76f4196f97a2f0c505b336b62a.jpgPXL_20211012_131536359.jpg.34062c8e641409cee7c08244ab37e9b3.jpgPXL_20211012_131551817.jpg.999bece0b51d4903c2319121de9a3797.jpgPXL_20211012_131608300.jpg.c91b68b472d890d53fbf0af571610b8c.jpgPXL_20211012_131616267.jpg.8b5739672ad063964afcf37e8e9d61e1.jpg

4 Iron:

PXL_20211011_220656515.jpg.255c6d2e7b9323cfee8d50b7295ab2c3.jpg

PW:

PXL_20211011_220749657.jpg.5b1f7de15ea8389f737493202f934c1b.jpg

Edited by cflo2382

Man, some pretty lucky WRX's here. Nice looking clubs. Hard not to see a lot of the i210's in those.

Hope you hit them well folks!

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Nice reviews guys. Thanks. Those are pretty nice looking irons. Very good shape and square look. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

2 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

Thank you GolfWRX and Takomo for such an awesome opportunity. I enter a ton of the "testers wanted" and giveaway contests and I am super excited that I was picked for this one. Like many of us, I love testing new products, especially irons. I've always been interested to see how some of the smaller Direct to Consumer (DTC) companies compare to the bigger brands. I've tried some of the other DTC brands (New Level and Sub70) and they are as good as anything out there. To be honest, I've never heard of Takomo before seeing the contest post. I checked out their website and they seems fairly newer to the market. They offer two irons, the Iron 101 (that I believe have been out for a little bit) and these Iron 201s that appear to have just released late September. I am curious what their plans are for future products. Anyways, without further ado, here is my review (so far) on the Iron 201:

Background: I've been playing golf for about 23 years and I'm coming off the best season of my golfing "career". I was previously just a "leasure/social" type golfer. I played fairly often, rocked the same set of clubs from 2008-2017, and never tracked a handicap. If I had to guess what it was I'd probably say an 8 or 9 handicap between 2010-2018. I started taking my golf game (and equipment) much more seriously about 3-4 years ago. Practicing a ton and tinkering it up with equipment to find out what works best for me. My game improved greatly since. My main goal this year was to get down to a 2 handicap (started the year at 4) and I am currently sitting at 1.9. I worked really hard on certain areas of my game and I feel that one of the biggest parts of my improvement came from my iron play. I rocked the legendary PING s55 irons the whole year and I absolutely loved them. I've gamed many iron sets over the last 3-4 years (AP2s, Miura's, Blueprints, Mizunos, several Srixon models) and I have tried many others. I strongly prefer a smaller, compact, player type profile when it comes to irons. Very little offset, thin top line, MB or CB. I can usually tell immediately at address if an iron is going to work for me.

First Thoughts: My set arrived last week (10/5). I was super eager to unbox them. They included a hat and towel which I thought was a very nice touch. All iron heads we double wrapped in bubble wrap and each had a plastic sleeve covering up the shafts. However, I was kind of shocked to find that some of the heads did arrive with some small dings/clatter on them. I would highly encourage Takomo to use some type of foam club holder system for shipping or something that keeps the clubs from moving around. Since the clubs were able to freely move around in the box, that likely caused the dings/clatter to occur. At the end of the day, these things are made of some super soft steel and these dings would have likely occurred on the way to the course/range for the first time anyways. These sticks look great. The quality of the forging is excellent. I am huge fan of the milling lines on the back of cavities, too. The build quality looks to be top notch. Ferrules perfect, lengths spot on, grips lined up right. I even checked the swing weights and these were all D4 and PW at D5. All spot on. Before even hitting these, I am super impressed with the builds. Looks wise, they remind me a lot of the PING i210 from the back but with the size and shape of the Srixon z745/65/85 series. The soles are not too big, not too small, kind of perfect size, really. There is some leading edge relief. They set up nice next to the ball and frame it well. My only gripe, as you might have expected, is that the top lines are bit thicker than I prefer. I was able to chip around with the PW in my basement off the carpet and it felt very soft.

The Setup - I went with 4-PW, C-Taper 130x, w/ Lamkin Crossline standards. Everything is standard/stock L/L/L across the board. I play my irons +1/2", traditional lofts (46* PW), and standard lies. I was really hoping to order these in my specs but unfortunately that wasn't an option for this testing. That's no biggie. I can always grip these a little higher to get that +1/2" feel. They only offer KBS shafts right now so I went with the KBS C-Taper 130X. Forgot how dang stout these are. I would have picked the 125S+ if it was an option. The stock lofts are rather strong. 31* 7 iron (I play 34*) so about 3* stronger than what I am used to. I might get these bent weaker for further testing purposes but going to try them out as is for now.

Testing: (Please note, I will be adding more to this section as time goes on). The day after these arrived I was heading out of town for the weekend so I was not able to do any testing right away. I was finally able to take some of these up the range last night (10/11). I brought the evens 4,6,8,PW along with some Mizuno MP-64s that of course I am tinkering around with 😆. The range was mats only due to some recent rain but I snuck a few shots off the grass, too. I warmed up with the Mizunos so that I could switch over to these ready to go. I grabbed the 6i first. The range has a flag/green set up about 200 yards out (typically my 5i) so I was aiming at that since the 6i loft is only 1* weaker than my 5i. First swing was flushed. Nice high tight draw that landed just right of the pin. Felt incredible. Now I'm intrigued. I continued to hit several more balls at that pin and most continued to have the same flight characteristics and were landing close. I missed a few away from the middle of the face and you could definitely feel the difference but they didn't suffer a ton of distance loss. I dabbled in the 4i next and was getting a nice high flight. What impressed me the most was how high the long irons were launching, especially with the C-Tapers plugged in. I typically hit the ball a bit lower than I would like to. But the launch window that I was getting on these was great. Unfortunately, no numbers to share but I'm sure a monitor would show the difference. What I liked most was how easy these were to work. I was able to hit nice fades and draws on command. Flighting low and high, no problem. I moved over to the 8i and PW and aimed at some closer pins. These did launch a tad higher than I preferred in the 8i and PW but everything held the line and were very consistent. The feel is very soft yet slightly dense at the same time (which I love). I wouldn't consider these mushy soft by any means. Sometimes too soft just doesn't work for me. I like having some feedback and these fit the bill. Keep in mind, this was with some range balls (decent quality). I will be testing with ProV1x balls on the course next. I probably hit about 40-50 balls with these. So far, I'm very impressed after that range session.

I am planning on getting out on the course with these this week/weekend. I'm really looking forward to how these play on my home course. It'll be nice to compare against shots I am usually hitting on that track. I will report back with some more feedback later this week. Please send any questions that you guys might have. Here are some pictures:

PXL_20211006_214900340.jpg.837e45995492774be63a2bc46ef0fffb.jpgPXL_20211006_214919613.PORTRAIT.jpg.a54b261cfde6744d013d924386437c32.jpgPXL_20211012_131429118.jpg.4e0065bb9575ad4af0f1f779cc474789.jpgPXL_20211012_131433675.jpg.d85e6976f2a8fe6e3e14a2e086c3d29d.jpgPXL_20211012_131444446.jpg.e2c481909dc767b078b4b6dd3705d594.jpgPXL_20211012_131450605.jpg.494ed93b187b703f1dcfa72f2fe31449.jpgPXL_20211012_131522416.jpg.20baa41b935e434af6405f7d6fe3a39b.jpgPXL_20211012_131529870.jpg.31417d76f4196f97a2f0c505b336b62a.jpgPXL_20211012_131536359.jpg.34062c8e641409cee7c08244ab37e9b3.jpgPXL_20211012_131551817.jpg.999bece0b51d4903c2319121de9a3797.jpgPXL_20211012_131608300.jpg.c91b68b472d890d53fbf0af571610b8c.jpgPXL_20211012_131616267.jpg.8b5739672ad063964afcf37e8e9d61e1.jpg

4 Iron:

PXL_20211011_220656515.jpg.255c6d2e7b9323cfee8d50b7295ab2c3.jpg

PW:

PXL_20211011_220749657.jpg.5b1f7de15ea8389f737493202f934c1b.jpg

I wanted to add that I put them on my swingweight scale as well and got the same results: D4 through the set with the PW at D5. For reference, mine have C Taper Lite regular @ 105 grams.

• Like 1

TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Hi folks,

Many thanks for your reviews, I've been looking into these irons over the last couple of weeks debating on whether or not to pull the trigger and get some.

I'm currently playing the 2020 TM P790's and was curious to seek a view on if the 201's would be an upgrade.

My handing flutters between 12-14 but I'm starting to take golf more seriously now and looking to get into single figures before too long.

Intrigued to know your thoughts.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:59 AM, Ginger G said:

Hi folks,

Many thanks for your reviews, I've been looking into these irons over the last couple of weeks debating on whether or not to pull the trigger and get some.

I'm currently playing the 2020 TM P790's and was curious to seek a view on if the 201's would be an upgrade.

My handing flutters between 12-14 but I'm starting to take golf more seriously now and looking to get into single figures before too long.

Intrigued to know your thoughts.

I personally don't have any experience with the 2020 P790s. I dabbled with the original p790 2 iron a couple of years ago but thats as far as my experience goes. Theres a ton of tech built into the P790s that is supposed to help with forgiveness, ball speeds, etc. The 201s are basically just a hunk of forged carbon steel. You're going to get what you put into them. However, I would definitely recommend them to anyone considering the transition into a forged player's type CB. They're a little bit larger, pretty forgiving, and feel very good. The 201s have stronger lofts just like P790s, so that'll help with the transition.

They do offer the 101 iron, too. It's a hollow blade so kind of a bit more aligned with the P790.

Edited by cflo2382

On 10/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, cflo2382 said:

I personally don't have any experience with the 2020 P790s. I dabbled with the original p790 2 iron a couple of years ago but thats as far as my experience goes. Theres a ton of tech built into the P790s that is supposed to help with forgiveness, ball speeds, etc. The 201s are basically just a hunk of forged carbon steel. You're going to get what you put into them. However, I would definitely recommend them to anyone considering the transition into a forged player's type CB. They're a little bit larger, pretty forgiving, and feel very good. The 201s have stronger lofts just like P790s, so that'll help with the transition.

They do offer the 101 iron, too. It's a hollow blade so kind of a bit more aligned with the P790.

Awesomeness, thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

I've gone for it! Figured if they're a little out of my league then I'll hold onto them until my standard improves. 👍🏻

Keep those reviews coming. I’m currently at 11.9 and can have some really off days. I’m not sure these should be a consideration.

Anyone move to these coming from higher bounce, fatter sole irons?  I dont take much of a divot yet I play ping g410. As a result, I am considering moving on to a forgiving yet thinner soled cavity back. Should these be on the list?

Looking forward to some photos after they had been in play a few rounds. Forged is great and these look very appealing in photos as I’ve not seen them in person but…….. I’m not sure about irons so soft that the arrive with dents / dings while they were double wrapped in bubble wrap. That would be a concern to me. 

Can anyone compare to Sub70? Compare the 101 to the 201? 

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I've been getting out to hit a few balls with these each night and liking them more and more. I got a little bit of lead tape that I am applying to the short irons as I feel the 8,9,PW may be a touch light. I'd really like to see how they spec out on a swingweight scale, but going to do it by feel for now until I get access to one (may just have to get one for myself).. I'm still loving the flight and feel of all of the clubs, particularly the long irons. Nice flat flight that cuts through the wind but I feel like I have no problem getting them in the air. Please keep any and all questions coming if you have them! I can't wait to get out to play a round with them -- hoping this weekend. 

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

James Robinson has a good review on them as well and I believe he is actually playing them now. I've got another range session and round in the books. While I'm starting to get accustomed to the shafts I'm still considering going to graphite. Will probably do just the 7 iron first and test it a bit. I can honestly say I love these irons. I'm still amazed at how consistent they are; no odd "hot" shots and as mentioned in my initial review I love the trajectory control these provide.

• Like 1

TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

3 hours ago, i*windows said:

they look great, I actually like the slightly thicker top line and boxy shape, question for our reviewers, how is the build quality? I know new level are meticulous when it comes to fit and finish

The visual build quality for my set is top notch. Ferrules turned down/shined perfectly. The shaft labels and grip logos were also lined up perfectly. I am very particular about these small details, too. As I mentioned in my initial post, the swing weights were also spot on. D4 throughout the 4i-9i, D5 for the PW. Lengths were all spot on, too. The only thing that I can't confirm are the actual lofts/lies as I don't have a machine to check with. For reference, I ordered stock L/L/L across the board.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

I assume Takomo is out of business or about too. I say this because they have stopped responding to emails and of course haven’t given I phone number I have seen through much searching. Was interested in placing an order for awhile but have seen nothing in the way of communication not only with my emails but also in print here or anywhere. Can only go so far on yesterday’s two YouTube clips.

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, Ginger G said:

Awesomeness, thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

I've gone for it! Figured if they're a little out of my league then I'll hold onto them until my standard improves. 👍🏻

What's that old saying in business? "Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want."

I sometimes think there's an analogy for golf there. There was another recent discussion on WRX about when it becomes worth it to start buying ProV1s or other premium balls. When you break 90? 85? 80? A surprising number of people thought that (if you could afford it), even shooting in the 90s would make it worth it. Not because a person could necessarily get the most out of it yet, but rather because it could provide a road to improvement - there's a lot of shots a golfer could start attempting (especially around the green) with a premium ball that they wouldn't even try with a cheap rock.  

Glad you pulled the trigger! Hope you don't just wait until your game improves, but take them out periodically. Good way to push yourself.

Paraphrasing,

"Don't play the clubs suitable for the handicap you have, play the clubs suitable for the handicap you want". Hahahahahaha.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

23 hours ago, hardten said:

I assume Takomo is out of business or about too. I say this because they have stopped responding to emails and of course haven’t given I phone number I have seen through much searching. Was interested in placing an order for awhile but have seen nothing in the way of communication not only with my emails but also in print here or anywhere. Can only go so far on yesterday’s two YouTube clips.

Yes, we are very much in business, and sorry if we have missed your email. We'll try to get back to everyone within 48 hours at the moment.

We've had so much interest lately (especially after a few youtube clips were published 🙂) that our customer support has been super busy. We are looking for additional personnel to join the team to get our response times faster. 

Edited by Takomo

On 11/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, blblco02 said:

So are these any less forgiving than a similar club from a more well known manufacturer? Say, i210’s?

It's really hard for me to say as I don't have a ton of experience with the i210. I think the main difference would come from the longer irons with the i210s being more forgiving. I remember the i210s getting longer-ish heel to toe and way more offset once you get to the 6, 5, and 4 iron.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 5:23 AM, Hairpie said:

James Robinson has a good review on them as well and I believe he is actually playing them now. I've got another range session and round in the books. While I'm starting to get accustomed to the shafts I'm still considering going to graphite. Will probably do just the 7 iron first and test it a bit. I can honestly say I love these irons. I'm still amazed at how consistent they are; no odd "hot" shots and as mentioned in my initial review I love the trajectory control these provide.

What shaft did you get them with? C taper lite? Id like to try those but hope they don’t fly too high. 

CTaper lite in regular flex. KBS has always played stiffer for me which is why I went regular (for the 1st time in 40+years). Played S300 most of my life, moved to Nippons and graphite recently. I'm not a high ball hitter by any means and these don't add any height for me. I'm still not a fan of KBS and am considering changing my shafts out to Nippons or Graphite; for a softer feel in the hands and less pain for me. I would point out that 3/4 and knockdowns are a breeze with these clubs. Trajectory control is where these clubs excel for me; hence my dilemma on reshafting with steel or graphite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3