46 Inch + Drivers on Tour

stickman

Lets look at the length of the course, winning score, and 36 hole cut (this shows how tough the course is for the avg player)

2021 - Torrey Pines, John Rahm -6 (Par 71), 7685, +4

2020 - Winged Foot, Bryson Dechambeau -6 (Par 70), 7477, +6

2019 - Pebble Beach, Gary Woodland -13 (Par 71), 7075, +2

2018 - Shinnecock, Brooks Koepka +1 (Par 70), 7440, +8

2017 - Erin Hills, Brooks Koepka -16 (Par 72), 7741, +1

2016 - Oakmont, Dustin Johnson -4 (Par 70), 7254, +6

2015 - Chambers Bay, Jordan Spieth -5 (Par 70), 7384 to 7695*, +5

2014 - Pinehurst, Martin Kaymer -9 (Par 70), 7562, +5

2013 - Merion, Justin Rose +1 (Par 70), 6996, +8

2012 - Olympic, Webb Simpson +1 (Par 70), 7170, +8

2011 - Congressional, Rory Mcilroy -16 (Par 71), 7574, +4

*thats what Wikipedia said 

Last 11 US Open, 7 of these US Open were Par 70s (made this should be standard of a US Open, just a thought)

Some could make the case that wet conditions played a major role in 2011 and 2016 having double digit under par winners, though 2011 you can notice the cut is that dissimilar from other years on the list (Rory played very well)

Lets look at avg driving distance over the last 11 years

2021 -  296 (Bryson DeChambeau, 323)

2020 - 296 (Bryson DeChambeau, 322)

2019 - 293 (Cameron Champ, 317)

2018 - 295 (Trey Muinax, 318) 

2017 - 292 (Rory Mcilroy, 316)

2016 - 291 (JB Homes 314)

2015 - 290 (Dustin Johnson, 317)

2014 - 289 (Bubba Watson, 314)

2013 - 288 (Luke List, 306)

2012 - 290 (Bubba Watson, 315)

2011 - 291 (JB Holmes, 318)

So the longest has gotten 5 yards longer and the avg has gotten 5 yards longer

I understand how flawed this stat

This rule going from 48 to 46 is a good move honestly but its coming way to late and God forbid someone is over 6'4" and needs a longer driver to play effectively

The tee height is something I think could help ... if you wanna know how the USGA came up with 4 inches ... they just picked a number. Lets shrink down to 2.5"

Limiting CC for the professional game wouldn't be a bad idea either (maybe go to 400cc)

These are just ideas

I don't understand how making the ball go shorter will make golf more fun to watch

Go play 9 holes by yourself and play the tips

Tee off and then where ever your drive ends up ... walk backwars 20 yards and play from there ... lets see how much fun you would have

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

On 10/13/2021 at 5:24 PM, Fairway14 said:

What difference does it make if players shoot 58 instead of 68 , or hit a 400 yard drive instead of a 250 yard drive ? All games/sports evolve with time , so why should golf be any different ? I don't believe longer drives or lower scoring has anything to do with the "integrity of the game".

Basketball 🏀 and court same size for past 50 years. 

Football 🏈 and field size same for past 50 years. 

Baseball ⚾️, bat, ball same. Fields actually smaller in many cases now that 50 years ago. 

In the middle of a game, you could hand Aaron Judge the same bat Mickey Mantle used 60 years ago and he’ll step up to the plate no problem. 

Hand Bryson the same driver that Hogan used on the 10th tee during a tournament and he’ll start crying ; )

3D74A6F7-D990-4B3C-A9E9-C7ED723C7643.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, PHILsThemannnn said:

This is kind of a stupid way to go about it IMO.  I know they did that whole insights report in 2019-20, but I think they should be looking at course design instead of shafts. In 2021 all 4 major champions were middle of the pack in driving accuracy for that week and Morikawa/Hideki were near the bottom in distance. They are approaching this whole issue the wrong way. Why don't course designers take a look at Augusta National? 6 of the par 4s are under 460 and all 4 par 5s are reachable in 2. The course is long, but it's not like an Erin Hills long.

AN is long…7475 is long.

In my opinion the USGA is more concerned with the how than the what.  Golf is a game where all that matters is score….and yet the powers that be are more concerned with the optics of how.  They want modern players to need to hit a long iron or fairway wood into 13 at Augusta for example.  Heck they could fix this whole problem by just making manufacturers us old traditional lofts when putting numbers at the bottom.  52* pitching wedges and up from there and instead of 9 iron the pros hit 7 and all is well.**

** somewhat a tongue in cheek comment but there is some reality to the point.

If they ever decide to roll back anything I have come over a wee bit to adjusting the ball.  It’s the only part of the players equipment that is more of a disposable item.  For WRX’rs with a 20 dozen stash the USGA could fund a trade in program.😏 

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

31 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

AN is long…7475 is long.

In my opinion the USGA is more concerned with the how than the what.  Golf is a game where all that matters is score….and yet the powers that be are more concerned with the optics of how.  They want modern players to need to hit a long iron or fairway wood into 13 at Augusta for example.  Heck they could fix this whole problem by just making manufacturers us old traditional lofts when putting numbers at the bottom.  52* pitching wedges and up from there and instead of 9 iron the pros hit 7 and all is well.**

** somewhat a tongue in cheek comment but there is some reality to the point.

If they ever decide to roll back anything I have come over a wee bit to adjusting the ball.  It’s the only part of the players equipment that is more of a disposable item.  For WRX’rs with a 20 dozen stash the USGA could fund a trade in program.😏 

I agree but you didn't read my full statement. What I'm saying is it's a long course but it's manageable. I feel that 7400-7500 should be the threshold for length. Courses like Erin Hills and Kiawah Island are unplayable for half the field (both courses were tipped out close to 7900 for the 2017 US Open and 2021 PGA Championship). To me it's stupid watching par 3's/4's where players are 5-woods for approach shots. The beauty of Augusta is a pro can still somewhat manage a decent score despite being a short hitter. It's a long course but length isn't the only emphasis. Look at Langer last year at Augusta, he played with Bryson on Sunday and beat him by 2 shots despite being out driven by an average of 60-70 yards. I don't think Langer could do that at Kiawah Island. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.35.12 PM.png

• Like 1

Jonathan Wall had a podcast late last year or earlier this year with a current PGA Tour player who said that by the end of this year, most Tour players would be using a long driver. That never materialized. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

I agree but you didn't read my full statement. What I'm saying is it's a long course but it's manageable. I feel that 7400-7500 should be the threshold for length. Courses like Erin Hills and Kiawah Island are unplayable for half the field (both courses were tipped out close to 7900 for the 2017 US Open and 2021 PGA Championship). To me it's stupid watching par 3's/4's where players are 5-woods for approach shots. The beauty of Augusta is a pro can still somewhat manage a decent score despite being a short hitter. It's a long course but length isn't the only emphasis. Look at Langer last year at Augusta, he played with Bryson on Sunday and beat him by 2 shots despite being out driven by an average of 60-70 yards. I don't think Langer could do that at Kiawah Island. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.35.12 PM.png

You’re comparing the longest player on tour statistically to a 64 year old that never relied on length off the tee though.  Saying things like “half the field finds 7900 unplayable” loses credibility.  No one on the junior tour is short.  Kevin Na averaged just about 290 for 170th on tour last season.  That’s an average. Unless the course is soaked, which it rarely is at a major, he can hit it over 300 any time he wants.  

12 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Jonathan Wall had a podcast late last year or earlier this year with a current PGA Tour player who said that by the end of this year, most Tour players would be using a long driver. That never materialized. 

I have no inside knowledge but I believe the players probably got wind of this  ruling early and decided it wasn’t worth the effort to make the long driver work just for a few months. I also believe Bryson was basically told when it comes to Augusta, that it wouldn’t be in the spirit if the game and it wouldn’t be in his best interest to bring the long driver out at that event. 

• Like 1

The problem with the ball isn't just that it is very long and proportionally longer for those with high club head speeds.  It is also much straighter than the old balls and reacts better to the wind.  IMO, the ball has removed an element of ball striking skill from the tour professional and has narrowed the gap between the great and the very good.  It is apparent at this weeks tournament.  Believe it or not, the Summit Club is not an easy golf course.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airjammer said:

I have no inside knowledge but I believe the players probably got wind of this  ruling early and decided it wasn’t worth the effort to make the long driver work just for a few months. I also believe Bryson was basically told when it comes to Augusta, that it wouldn’t be in the spirit if the game and it wouldn’t be in his best interest to bring the long driver out at that event. 

The first sentence I believe.  The idea Bryson was told “we just don’t do that here” not so much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

The first sentence I believe.  The idea Bryson was told “we just don’t do that here” not so much.

It was just so weird that he was so hyped up about it and then out of no where said basically…he just couldn’t make it work. That being said, he also threw cobra under bus not too long after and said their drivers suck essentially so I doubt that actually happened but it did cross my mind because when he dropped the idea it was very sudden. It also makes lots of sense as we know how much influence Augusta has on golf as a whole. They run their event and club with a iron fist in all aspects. I genuinely believe they were concerned that he was going to come in there and make a mockery of the length of the golf course. Thru land purchases and changes to the course I believe it reasonable to assume they would very much in favor of a rollback or at least some very hard stoppage of any distance gains to maintain a reasonable scoring average or requiring a similar decision to players that played 40 years ago on how to play a hole or shot. 

3 hours ago, airjammer said:

It was just so weird that he was so hyped up about it and then out of no where said basically…he just couldn’t make it work. That being said, he also threw cobra under bus not too long after and said their drivers suck essentially so I doubt that actually happened but it did cross my mind because when he dropped the idea it was very sudden. It also makes lots of sense as we know how much influence Augusta has on golf as a whole. They run their event and club with a iron fist in all aspects. I genuinely believe they were concerned that he was going to come in there and make a mockery of the length of the golf course. Thru land purchases and changes to the course I believe it reasonable to assume they would very much in favor of a rollback or at least some very hard stoppage of any distance gains to maintain a reasonable scoring average or requiring a similar decision to players that played 40 years ago on how to play a hole or shot. 

They may have been concerned. But Augusta has always honored the proper rules of golf.  All the idle speculation of silliness like a Masters ball and such was never truly considered imo.  It was bandied about in the press more than anything.  One sportswriter printing it gets to be considered truth if it’s repeated often enough.

Me thinks USGA pushed 46" limit just to irk Phil and limit Bryson.  Bryson and Phil are probably the only 2 guys who play 48" and after what Bryson did to Winged Foot and USGA don't give a rats arse what Phil thinks you kind of knew it was coming.  

Ping G425 MAX 9 Ventus Blue 6 x
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

PING G425 23.5 9 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING IBlade 5-PW DGS300 Stiff
Ping Glide 50 54 56

Ping Anser

I get the impression this is a Bryson thing.  They don't want a new generation of "Iron Mikes" driving the ball 370 yards.  All they need are longer courses.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Maybe they should go back to persimmons, and wound balls , then the distance issue is mute. There, that will grow the game. Lol's.

I suspect I will be kicking the USGA to the curb. I had enough after the groove spectacle.  This will be the same,  

Edited by puttingmatt

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

2 hours ago, ohioglfr said:

I get the impression this is a Bryson thing.  They don't want a new generation of "Iron Mikes" driving the ball 370 yards.  All they need are longer courses.

Valderrama, where the European Tour played this week, had a winning score of 6 under. Course barely plays over 7,000 yards (7,028). Longer courses aren't always the answer. See Erin Hills for the US Open. Played around 7,800 yards and the winning score was 16 under. 

• Like 1