2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jumbo grip experiment

ry1808

Just thought I'd post a few words on here detailing an experiment I've been going through with trying out jumbo grips. 

For a long time I played the standard / stock sized grip you see on 90% of clubs. I started to struggle with getting a little 'handsy' in my swing and was recommended to try out midsize grips and that made a huge improvement. Eventually I settled on the Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize +4 which I've played for the last 2-3 seasons pretty successfully. 

Of course that isn't good enough and I wanted to experiment with something a little different. My latest experiment has been with the Jumbomax STR8 Tech Tour series:

image.png.ff283c0c1f506b7ea4f3fbf105bb1c87.png

I installed these on a my backup bag and hit the course with a few range sessions thrown in too. Surprisingly I've found the short clubs and wedges the easiest to get on with. I think the large grip slows my hands down even further and allows me to hit these knock down shots a lot more easily. The areas I have struggled with has been the driver at the top of my bag. I am typically a high launch, high spin player as I tend to hit the ball off my right side. Saying that I do get good distance and ball flight with my driver setup. However, with these jumbomax grips I struggle to avoid hitting a high spinny cut which I feel like is robbing of distance. At first I wondered if that was purely a swing weigh issue but I stuck a load of lead tape on the sole of my driver at matched it up with my stock offering, still pretty much the same result. 

Has anyone else found this with the driver when playing these jumbo grips? I don't mid hitting a cut all day as long as it is consistent, it's just the higher launch and extra spin which is killing me.

Certainly not an experiment I'm giving up on yet, I feel if I can get this driver and long clubs fixed then I'll be onto a winner as the short irons certainly feel better.

• Like 1

TXG did a video with the standard tour series a while back. Although a very small data set (1 tester, 1 club, several shots) I believe there was some form of correlation with attack angle as they altered between under and JMX grips. That being said, I love the 4 JMX tour series Medium I bought to test; so much so that I am regrouping the rest of my set with them. 

My driver miss at the moment is a push cut, but it's miles better than the flip hook I was with before. I can't say that it's all attributed to the grip slowing face rotation, but probably more so better sequencing as of lately.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

About 2.5 years ago I went from the NDMC MIDSIZE PLUS 4'S to the Jumbomax Ultralight mediums. One thing I did that you didn't was at the same time I changed my swing from a 2-plane to the DeChambeau 1-plane swing. 

I didn't experience any change in distance at all, actually picked up 5 yards on my irons. The distance gain was probably as result of the swing change.

For the last 1.5 years I've been playing the Jumbomax Ultralight XL's and love them.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I will try the JumboMax Ultralite STR8 grip next I think. I have tended to prefer a lighter swing weight so it'll be interesting to see the difference, not sure if that'll have a huge effect or not. 

I am a big fan of the 'one plane' swing. If I was to learn the game from scratch I'd go one plane and one length clubs, the whole concept of removing variables just makes sense to me. 

Still some work to do and time to be put in on the range. 

my experience with JumboMax XL. Tried M as well. I had to really slow down & give a full release to make my natural draw reappear. Always wanted to hang onto the club through impact- the 19* hybrid became almost unplayable. I use Sonar + oversize on driver now ....seems the perfect oversize for me.

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I just started using JumboMax Ultralites, tapered not straight, size medium on the driver, size small on the rest. I'm getting a bit better distance because I'm getting less side spin, so I'm not losing as much distance going side to side, both in the air and on the roll out. My launch angle and ball height is about the same as it was with my previous Winn oversize, which despite the name are still a lot smaller than these. The grip size reduces my ability to turn the club over. That's not a bad thing, as it also reduces my tendency to over cook  a draw and hit a hook. I can see having a problem with anything larger than the medium size, as the large and XL are really huge.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I experimented with JumboMax tours installing XS, SM, MD and LG on some demo 7-irons, ultimately settled on SM. And had them installed on all my clubs. With the driver it was really difficult to turn the ball over. But ultimately the extra weight in the butt of the club, counterbalanced the club too much that I had trouble with telling where the head was. Also struggled with chipping with a larger grip. It just felt weird to me and could never get comfortable.

I then switched to the JM Xlite XS, they felt great and instantly could tell where the head of the club was during the swing. Driver was still a baby fade. But again chipping was a struggle for me as they still felt a little too big.

I then switched to Winn Dri-Tac wrap in the OS. They feel great. Comfortable with chipping and the draw with the driver is back

Its certainly interesting to see how different players adapt to different grip sizes throughout the bag. I know I've struggled a lot with the half and 3/4 wedge shots in the past, now with the thicker grips it almost feels like I can slow my arms down without worrying about the hands flicking through at impact and messing up my distance control. 

When I got my new JPX919 Hot Metals last year, they had Tour Wrap Mids on them.  This year I tried Tour Velvet Mids and do not like them as much since the vibration damping (arthritis) is not as good.  I am going to try a Tour Wrap Jumbo on a couple of clubs, driver and PW, to gauge the results.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

RGK5 I use CP2 Wrap Mid on all my clubs and Jumbo on my G-S-L -> they are really comfortable, last forever, clean up easy with water -> just like the Tour Wraps I used to use previously.  Note that CP2 Jumbo weigh 80g while the Tour Wrap Jumbo are 73g.

I am planning to order some Jumbomax STR8 Ultralite X-Large.  The Medium size is just a bit larger ( 1.09" dia ) than the CP2 Jumbo is at the butt end, so if I'm going down the oversized experiment, may as well go all-in with XL.

Edited by ARL67

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

11 hours ago, aaronpoling said:

I then switched to Winn Dri-Tac wrap in the OS. They feel great. Comfortable with chipping and the draw with the driver is back

That's the exact opposite of what I did, and I prefer the JM Ultralight. Different strokes...

Callaway Supersoft

6 hours ago, ARL67 said:

RGK5 I use CP2 Wrap Mid on all my clubs and Jumbo on my G-S-L -> they are really comfortable, last forever, clean up easy with water -> just like the Tour Wraps I used to use previously.  Note that CP2 Jumbo weigh 80g while the Tour Wrap Jumbo are 73g.

I am planning to order some Jumbomax STR8 Ultralite X-Large.  The Medium size is just a but larger ( 1.09" dia ) than the CP2 Jumbo is at the butt end, so if I'm going down the oversized experiment, may as well go all-in with XL.

Thanks, Andy.  Golf Town had nothing in stock except the Winn Dri-Tac which I do not like.  A friend had ONE Tour Wrap Jumbo as he has been waiting for months for his supplier to send grips, a common problem everywhere in Canada. He put in on for $10 and I'll try it this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d poke this thread. 

I put a JumboMax XL lite Str8 on my driver for a lark. Played two rounds with it and I think it is going to stay. 

I have eliminated the left side of the course. Felt REALLY weird initially, but I can swing hard now and ball is mostly straight, occasionally a slight cut. 

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Over on YouTube Peter Finch has changed all his grips to the Jumbomax, after some testing….not sure which model but he has had some wrist issues which they have seemed to relieve.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

3 hours ago, elsie451 said:

I tried a Jumbomax Ultralite Medium on my 7 iron.  Just couldn't get used to it.  Felt like I was trying to swing my putter. 

That's the point. Jumbo putter grips help take the hands out of the equation, and so do JM. There's an interesting video out there where a guy put a putter grip on his driver and loved it. Too bad it's illegal because of the flat side. I went with driver first, to see if I liked it. I did, so I then did the rest of the bag, but with size small. The next time I regrip the driver I may go small on that as well, as small JMs are still larger than any other grip that I'm aware of, though I suspect not for long.

Callaway Supersoft

Still liking my JMX Tour Series after a couple months. Only wear I see is some of the grey wearing away where my thumb sits. Picked up a few of the Ultralites for my dad to try.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

On 10/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, ARL67 said:

I am planning to order some Jumbomax STR8 Ultralite X-Large.  The Medium size is just a bit larger ( 1.09" dia ) than the CP2 Jumbo is at the butt end, so if I'm going down the oversized experiment, may as well go all-in with XL.

From my experience with jumbo max. Don’t let the spec numbers fool you. I am currently playing a Tour Velvet Jumbo with 2 wraps full length and 4 on the lower hand. The medium size JM ultra lite still made my TV jumbo look like a standard grip. They are silly large. Comically jumbo. My playing partners didn’t know what to think and neither did I.

i think the medium is a good starting point. I tried it for a bit but just could t get comfortable with it. But I think part of it was my swingweight which was already like D5-6 and with the little lighter grip it jumped to like almost D8. The heavy swing weight and such large grip I just could not get it to turnover. And left a lot of shots very right. Block slices or just strait slices. Played 3-4 rounds and never hit a hook. Not one. And that’s my main miss that is always lurking to find trouble. It was eye opening for sure. I’m going to revisit down the road with a lighter swing weight, D2ish to help get my hands through quicker. But right now I’m digging the Tv jumbo with some wraps. Seems to be a happy medium.  

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

On 10/13/2021 at 2:13 PM, rgk5 said:

Thanks, Andy.  Golf Town had nothing in stock except the Winn Dri-Tac which I do not like.  A friend had ONE Tour Wrap Jumbo as he has been waiting for months for his supplier to send grips, a common problem everywhere in Canada. He put in on for $10 and I'll try it this weekend.

This grip was a flop for me.  Back to TV Midsize.

The typical problem in the past with oversize grips was weight, and how you had to compensate with tip weights.  Years ago I was playing Avon Chamois oversize at 66 grams, until Winn came out with the DryTac oversize at 50 grams.  Good to see JumboMax has jumbo grips that aren't heavy.  I'll have to check them out.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

On 10/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, ry1808 said:

Just thought I'd post a few words on here detailing an experiment I've been going through with trying out jumbo grips. 

For a long time I played the standard / stock sized grip you see on 90% of clubs. I started to struggle with getting a little 'handsy' in my swing and was recommended to try out midsize grips and that made a huge improvement. Eventually I settled on the Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize +4 which I've played for the last 2-3 seasons pretty successfully. 

Of course that isn't good enough and I wanted to experiment with something a little different. My latest experiment has been with the Jumbomax STR8 Tech Tour series:

image.png.ff283c0c1f506b7ea4f3fbf105bb1c87.png

I installed these on a my backup bag and hit the course with a few range sessions thrown in too. Surprisingly I've found the short clubs and wedges the easiest to get on with. I think the large grip slows my hands down even further and allows me to hit these knock down shots a lot more easily. The areas I have struggled with has been the driver at the top of my bag. I am typically a high launch, high spin player as I tend to hit the ball off my right side. Saying that I do get good distance and ball flight with my driver setup. However, with these jumbomax grips I struggle to avoid hitting a high spinny cut which I feel like is robbing of distance. At first I wondered if that was purely a swing weigh issue but I stuck a load of lead tape on the sole of my driver at matched it up with my stock offering, still pretty much the same result. 

Has anyone else found this with the driver when playing these jumbo grips? I don't mid hitting a cut all day as long as it is consistent, it's just the higher launch and extra spin which is killing me.

Certainly not an experiment I'm giving up on yet, I feel if I can get this driver and long clubs fixed then I'll be onto a winner as the short irons certainly feel better.

im late to the party but, your high ball flight comes from a open face angle at impact.
Just like we can open a wedge to add loft, the larger grip size (too large for you) is probably the reason for why face angle aint closing up enough.

This is why a fade or cut will be higher than a draw, since a draw has a face angle closed to path = reduced loft, while a fade has a face angle open to path = more loft.

Dial back on grip size, or use a "stronger" lower hand who forces more face closure.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.