2022 Golf Budget Dream Scenarios

I've been fortunate to have a great 2021 and I'm thinking of doing one of the following dream scenarios in 2022.

- High End Custom Fitting and Clubs: My current clubs, while newer, have been cobbled together second hand based on self fit, or by questionable professional fitters. My equipment is far from optimized, and while not making excuses for the Indian, the arrows do cost me a few strokes per round. My thought would be to fly to Toronto and do a full bag fitting with Ian at TXG and redo my entire setup.  

- Home Simulator Build: I've wanted a simulator for a while, and think there's a lot of upside. First, I'd be able to practice anytime, have accurate data, my kids would definitely hit some balls too. Not to mention you can play a simulated round in minutes vs. half a day. Time is valuable and the number one constraint why I don't play more often. The downside is the cost is by far the most expensive, and it's indoor, you're hitting off mats and looking at another screen. I live in AZ so it kind of feels like riding a stationary bike vs. enjoying 9 months of awesome weather. 

- Join a Semi-Private Course: I live next to a great resort with three courses, and access to two others. The initiation fee and dues are very inexpensive, and the membership comes with a myriad of perks beyond golf like pools, , tennis, spas, gym, restaurant discounts etc. I'm the only one in my family who golfs, and while inexpensive compared to other clubs, the amount of golf I play would only justify 60% of the costs. My family would occasionally use the other facilities, but most likely wouldn't participate in the social scene.   

Which would you chose?

Im gonna be that pessimistic guy today... lol.

Clubs last 2-3 years if you are lucky, and through any swing changes you make after, the clubs may not fit you so I would say it has the shortest benefit ratio.

Having a home simulator, and having first winter season coming up with the new sim, we will see how much use it gets, but to be honest, tennis elbow and wrist take a beating on the mat on fat shots. I go through days where I might use it for 1-2 hours, and days when my elbows hurt too much, I might just use it to chip and pitch, but the "awesomeness" does wear off fairly quickly. I would say any technology is only relevant or useful for 4-5 years max, so your dollar stretches a bit further there.

Being a member at a private course, I can tell you that its awesome as long as club keeps members to a reasonable number. Sounds like your potential membership comes with multiple courses, and thats a HUGE plus. I play 80% of my rounds at my home club, and after 7 years, I feel like Im ready to see other courses. Between the pool, tennis, and food, the family does get more use out of it, and it seems like your kids would eventually use the membership for themselves too. Sounds like a winner to me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gohigh said:

Im gonna be that pessimistic guy today... lol.

Clubs last 2-3 years if you are lucky, and through any swing changes you make after, the clubs may not fit you so I would say it has the shortest benefit ratio.

Having a home simulator, and having first winter season coming up with the new sim, we will see how much use it gets, but to be honest, tennis elbow and wrist take a beating on the mat on fat shots. I go through days where I might use it for 1-2 hours, and days when my elbows hurt too much, I might just use it to chip and pitch, but the "awesomeness" does wear off fairly quickly. I would say any technology is only relevant or useful for 4-5 years max, so your dollar stretches a bit further there.

Being a member at a private course, I can tell you that its awesome as long as club keeps members to a reasonable number. Sounds like your potential membership comes with multiple courses, and thats a HUGE plus. I play 80% of my rounds at my home club, and after 7 years, I feel like Im ready to see other courses. Between the pool, tennis, and food, the family does get more use out of it, and it seems like your kids would eventually use the membership for themselves too. Sounds like a winner to me.

i did not know clubs only last 3 years. Mine are 17 years old..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kozubs said:

Agree with private club. There are so many benefits. 

The club is only semi-private. As a resort environment it's still open to the public, but you get advanced priority tee times, monthly tournaments, perks etc. Having access to five courses all but guarantees you could get on anywhere.  

Below is a snipet. They just raised the initiation fee from $1,950 to $2,500 and first year monthly dues are $385.

Screenshot 2021-10-12 184929.jpg

• Like 1

Unlimited travel money… Bandon , Pinehurst and the sweetens-cove area. A full bag fitting at TXG would be an enjoyable trip. I want no part of a private club and playing the same course in mind numbing continuity.   

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I would say the semi-private is the way to go if you can swing it, but I would do some "test runs" to see how difficult it is to get a tee time when you want. For example, much of my golf at my university course I play as a walk-on single. Tee sheet is empty enough I can join as a single pretty much any time I want.  Is that something you want/need, or would you always be booking foursomes ahead of time? Maybe just look online for the days you would normally play and see how many open spots there are. Make sure there aren't any hidden costs (cart fee??) or other minimums.

FWIW, I think "advanced reserved tee times" is a canard. Who cares? The only reason you would NEED to have that is if the place is so busy that you can't book a week in advance, and if that's the case, is it really the club for you?

Having 3 different courses would be awesome, we have two where I'm at, and they couldn't be more different, so that's a big plus.

• Like 1

I'd join the club. Equipment comes and goes, experiences last a life time. I'd only do the Simulator in cold weather climates. I live in WI, so that would be handy for the 6 months we don't play.

Adams 9064LS  - Driver
Adams 4060  - 3W

Maltby TS-1  - 3-PW

Maltby TSW Forged  - 50/56

Home simulator is my vote.  You can practice when you want and the kids along with your friends can use it too.

Apparently not everyone read the thread correctly; the membership is SEMI-PRIVATE.  With that you won't have the expectations of a private club and it would probably be just as crowded as a public course.

• Like 1

I've found that being a member at a club makes golf more relaxing.  If you're having a bad game it really doesn't matter.  Starts to rain... doesn't matter.  Sitting around bored and don't have time for 18... go play 12.  Practice range any time you want... priceless to me.  And if you live close by (it sounds like you do) it's even better.

With all that said I'll be adding a simulator this winter.  🙂

-Mag

I will likely build out a simulator over the next year. I joined a ghetto club (golf club, not country club) last year and it was pretty awesome. I decided I might join a different ghetto club, but I might just pay as I go.

I don't live near any of the usual country clubs and I have no desire nor need for "amenities", just golf. 🤣

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Join the semi-private club. You'll get so much more out of it than the other two scenarios. For one, you'll get to play a lot of actual golf vs the simulator golf. A simulator would be cool, but like someone mentioned hitting off mats can be brutal on the joints. And simulators aren't always very accurate. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H
Callaway Apex irons 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

As others have said, join the semi-private club, especially since you have referred to it as resort style with multiple courses and other amenities.  

if you where joining something like where @lefthack joined, i would go with the sim,  but as long as your membership comes with decent access and they don't nickel and dime you for $50+ every time you go out, it is a no-brainer.

13 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

As others have said, join the semi-private club, especially since you have referred to it as resort style with multiple courses and other amenities.  

if you where joining something like where @lefthack joined, i would go with the sim,  but as long as your membership comes with decent access and they don't nickel and dime you for $50+ every time you go out, it is a no-brainer.

Hey, for $700 I played a ton of golf. Probably 100 rounds or more and my game is way better for it. So it was totally worth it. That doesn't even cover the initiation fee at others and I never once made a tee time. I just showed up and played 

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

Hey, for $700 I played a ton of golf. Probably 100 rounds or more and my game is way better for it. So it was totally worth it. That doesn't even cover the initiation fee at others and I never once made a tee time. I just showed up and played 

Not saying it was a bad investment or not worth it, but given the 3 options, I would not spend the money on a "ghetto club".  Just my opinion.  

Cactus Jack,

Here are my thoughts...  

1) flying from AZ to Toronto seems like an overkill for club fitting.  I'd recommend just doing it locally.  You don't need to buy new clubs when fitted for the record.  You can look for similar used ones OR wait until they are discounted before ordering.

2) having your family not use the semi private course is a big downer to feeling like you are getting your money's worth.  Probably best to hold off on that at the moment but that leads me to my next point....

3) Sim golf would be a fun way to get your kids into the sport very easily at home.  If they start to taking a liking to the game of golf, then all of a sudden, the semi private club option seems a lot more worth while....

So that's my 2 cents.  Do a cheaper local club fitting and get one of the sim options coming out this fall/winter (mevo+, GC3, skytrak 2) with the intentions of seeing if there'd by any interest from other family members to take up the sport.

good luck whatever direction you go.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:19 AM, Cactus Jack said:

Which would you chose?

If the club was really close to my residence (or maybe work), and had a great practice facility, where there also wasn't good practice facilities open to the public near me, I'd probably opt for the club membership.  While having a sweet indoor setup to use any day or any time is nice, nothing beats practicing off grass fairways, rough, or out of bunkers.  Launch monitor can help dial in your long game, and to a certain extent help gap your wedges and pitch shots, but it's always off a perfect turf lie.  I would shave more strokes practicing chips, putts, and bunker shots on uneven lies, or sometimes where the ball is sitting up or down in the grass...and also seeing how my ball is actually reacting to the green in terms of balls checking up or releasing.  I also really enjoy practicing outdoors...so much so that I don't mind driving quite a ways to spend time at the better public practice facilities.  Being outside and walking is part of what I enjoy about practicing.

If the club wasn't near me, or there are just as good public practice facilities for free...I'd probably opt for lessons or if actually needed, a club fitting.  Right now, the only thing I might want to fit is my driver as I've been recently fit for irons and my driver swing has changed.  If there's any leftover, plan a golf trip.

Getting fit for irons/wedges is a complete waste of time indoors at txg. Without turf interaction? Driver ok though… Save your money. If you’re in litchfeild, drive 4 hours to Titleist in Carlsbad. 
     Wigwam is awesome.

Why would you get a SIM indoor when you live in Phoenix area?  I have one and I use it much less then I thought I would… 

Get the yearly membership and see how you like it. 

Can’t think of a worse idea then going to Toronto. And I’m Canadian! 
    Better fitters 15 mins from you. 

Edited by isaacbm