2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 Player of the Year

Golf Dino

2021 LPGA Player of the Year   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose to be the 2021 Player of the Year?

• Jin Young Ko
    • Nelly Korda
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

And as we wind on down the road . . . there are two "paths" you can go by for 2021 LPGA Player of the Year.

The two favourite choices are: 

Nelly Korda and Jin Young Ko (all stats below are as of October 12, 2021)

Who would you choose for Player of the Year and why?

Nelly: 

15 - Total Events Played

3 - wins (1 - major KPMG Women's PGA, Gainbridge, and Meijer Classic)

8 - Top 10's (including 3 wins)

69.07 - Scoring Average (1st)

42 - Rounds under par (2nd)

31 - Rounds in the 60s (T1st)

1 - Olympic Gold Medalist

Jin Young Ko:

16 - Total Events Played

3 - Wins (Cambia Portland, Volunteers of America, Cognizant Founders Cup)

10 - Top 10's (including wins)

69.38 - Scoring Average (2nd)

43 - Rounds under par (1st)

31 - Rounds in the 60s (T1st)

T7 - Olympic Games

Edited by Golf Dino
Included Olympic Results

As of Oct 12.

It's a no brainer...Nelly....and this isn't including an intangible....an Olympic gold medal.

If you are going to year end...I think JYK would have to make a sweep of BMW, Pelican and CME for me to consider JYK as POY.

On another note...as far as fandom....I'm neutral on Nelly...I find her a bit bland and boring.

BUT 

Minjee and Celine are also a bit vanilla too...yet I like them more...go figure.

As far as a loop...I do like Jason McDede...he'll speak his mind and won't cower to a RO and fully backs his player 150%..we saw this especially when he looped for Haru Nomura. 

Edited by KBong

It has to be Nelly.  The major is the difference even if you don't count the Olympic gold b/c it's not a tour event.

Doesn't take away from JYK's incredible season.  No shame in being 1b to a 1a and with the form she's in it would surprise exactly nobody if JYK won one or more events yet this year.

• Like 2

Nelly by a major.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

21 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Okay, what if JYK was to win just the CME?  Or perhaps the CME and either the BMW or the Pelican? 

This is a difficult one to answer.

IMO....a major counts for a lot...and then you have the intangible of the Olympic Gold Medal.

Cantlay won on the PGA tour....IMO....Rahm s/b the PGA POY with a major.

So what is your opinion on LPGA POY?

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Cantlay won on the PGA tour....IMO....Rahm s/b the PGA POY with a major.

There are two PGA Tour player of the awards. Have been since 1990. One voted on by the PGA Tour players and one awarded by the PGA Of America based on a points system.

Many years both of the awards are in lockstep with each other. The last 3 seasons not so much. This past season Rahm won the PGA Of America's POY award. Cantlay won the POY via tour player voting.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/pga-tour-player-year-award-winners/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

There are two PGA Tour player of the awards. Have been since 1990. One voted on by the PGA Tour players and one awarded by the PGA Of America based on a points system.

Many years both of the awards are in lockstep with each other. The last 3 seasons not so much. This past season Rahm won the PGA Of America's POY award. Cantlay won the POY via tour player voting.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/pga-tour-player-year-award-winners/

How is the LPGA POY voted?

*I'm new to LPGA related golf*

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, iBanesto said:

How is the LPGA POY voted?

*I'm new to LPGA related golf*

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

The LPGA has a points based system for the official POY.  But there are additional Player of the Year honours from organizations such as the Golf Writers Association of America, etc. . .    Kind of like the Baseball Writers Association andhow they vote on the Hall of Fame (but on an annual basis and not for the HoF).

10 hours ago, KBong said:

So what is your opinion on LPGA POY?

I haven't formed my opinion yet and am keeping an open mind.  There are a few events left to be played so we shall see how they play out.   I tend to lean towards favouring the major win/Olympic gold combination, but Jin Young is sure making it interesting.

13 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

If Anna, Patty or Yuka win 2 of 3 with one being the CME are they in the conversation? 

It depends on what Nelly and Jin Young do over the next three tournaments. If there are three players with three wins each, including a major, then one has to look at the top 10s, no?

I'd say Patty would be in the conversation. She's currently 3rd in CME points, and won the Annika Major Award. She currently has one more top 10 than Nelly, and trails Jin Young by one.

Yuka has only 4 top 10's to date, and Anna has only three. I'd say they're out of the running.

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

54 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

So will your PXG irons remain in the bag?....how are you liking them?

I assume the Elevate 95S feel and play the same as the XP 95S?

I also assume there has not been a significant improvement to your scoring...it's just you decided you wanted shiny new things?

We are now into our 6 month wet & cool weather....I've lost a bit of interest to play...and the course I play at is a muck hole in this period...but hey it's still golf...though wet golf.....I've come to accept it,,,,it is what it is....ya get what ya pay for.

At this point I'm liking my Ping 410 over my M3......I hated the 410 at 1st...went back to the M3...but the M3 did not behave and I was procrastinating to sell the Ping....luckily I delayed things,

If I do sell the M3...it will be next spring...now with the off season and lower golf demand...there are more used drivers for sale that are not selling quickly and also cheaper.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I'd say Patty would be in the conversation. She's currently 3rd in CME points, and won the Annika Major Award. She currently has one more top 10 than Nelly, and trails Jin Young by one.

I would agree with your point.  She would have to be considered for the POY if she wins two of the next three.   To win the Annika award she had to play better than Nelly.  But, scoring average would also have to ne one of the metrics considered as well -- and she currently trails both Nelly and Jin Young.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KBong said:

So will your PXG irons remain in the bag?....how are you liking them?

I assume the Elevate 95S feel and play the same as the XP 95S?

I also assume there has not been a significant improvement to your scoring...it's just you decided you wanted shiny new things?

We are now into our 6 month wet & cool weather....I've lost a bit of interest to play...and the course I play at is a muck hole in this period...but hey it's still golf...though wet golf.....I've come to accept it,,,,it is what it is....ya get what ya pay for.

At this point I'm liking my Ping 410 over my M3......I hated the 410 at 1st...went back to the M3...but the M3 did not behave and I was procrastinating to sell the Ping....luckily I delayed things,

If I do sell the M3...it will be next spring...now with the off season and lower golf demand...there are more used drivers for sale that are not selling quickly and also cheaper.

The PXG's will stay in the bag for now. I do want to try the new Ping i59's, but I'll wait until the price drops to a more reasonable level.

No love affair with the 0311P Gen3's, but they're a good compromise in size and forgiveness. They'll never feel as good as my old Mizuno MP's, or be as forgiving as the i200s, but I like the look of them at address better than the i200's. The turf interaction isn't quite right, but it's not horrible. They're easier to hit a little draw than the i200's, but much harder to fade.

Yeah, the Elevate 95's are very similar to my old XP 95's.

My GIRs have dropped roughly one per round, but my index has fallen slightly. My misses seem to be a little better, but the index drop is probably due more to the new Blackjack putter.

I would like to try the G425 Max, but I'm not going to drop $800 given that I'd likely wind up with an upgraded shaft. The G400 Max is still working fine most days.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

The PXG's will stay in the bag for now. I do want to try the new Ping i59's, but I'll wait until the price drops to a more reasonable level.

No love affair with the 0311P Gen3's, but they're a good compromise in size and forgiveness. They'll never feel as good as my old Mizuno MP's, or be as forgiving as the i200s, but I like the look of them at address better than the i200's. The turf interaction isn't quite right, but it's not horrible. They're easier to hit a little draw than the i200's, but much harder to fade.

Yeah, the Elevate 95's are very similar to my old XP 95's.

My GIRs have dropped roughly one per round, but my index has fallen slightly. My misses seem to be a little better, but the index drop is probably due more to the new Blackjack putter.

I would like to try the G425 Max, but I'm not going to drop $800 given that I'd likely wind up with an upgraded shaft. The G400 Max is still working fine most days.

The Ping i200's & i210 seem like nice clubs that many like.

I've only hit them once a while ago in a sim...and not on real grass.

I find the 7-PW in the i210 a bit chunky...a combo set would be ideal.

I never noticed you are a REAL PXG POSER with Blackjack putter...were you fit in Phoenix for the putter?

You need to get all the PXG accessories, bag and clothes to be a FULL BLOWN PXG POSER.

Kaboom Baby!

FWIW...I saw a Korean lady last week ....a PXG POSER.

Clubs, clothes and bag.

Yup you guessed it...short skort, pantyhose and knee highs too.

Too bad your fashion thread was deleted or locked down.

I could have posted some pics of the many Korean lady golfers here that would fit in well to your fashion thread.🤣

You were basically the sole contributor to the thread and I could have assisted to reduce your workload....lol.

Considering the fashion thread had 1M+ views...maybe we should petition to bring it back from the dead.🤣...same with the nickname glossary thread.

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I would've loved to see the award go to my fellow Korean J.Y Ko, but Nelly is the runaway winner IMO.   Multiple wins, a gold medal and #1 in the world. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

23 minutes ago, KBong said:

The Ping i200's & i210 seem like nice clubs that many like.

I've only hit them once a while ago in a sim...and not on real grass.

I find the 7-PW in the i210 a bit chunky...a combo set would be ideal.

I never noticed you are a REAL PXG POSER with Blackjack putter...were you fit in Phoenix for the putter?

You need to get all the PXG accessories, bag and clothes to be a FULL BLOWN PXG POSER.

Kaboom Baby!

Yeah, the i200s always looked and felt a bit chunky. 

I was fitted for the putter in the PXG Chicagoland store. While I was waiting for my iron fitting in Scottsdale last December I spent some time trying the putters, but didn't pull the trigger on the Blackjack until this year.

I'd consider the golf bag, but I have a relatively new Ping Hoofer Tour. Since I still have Ping woods and wedges in my bag, it'll stay for now. I did buy a PXG buff, and turned it into a headband for one of my straw hats. Lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I would've loved to see the award go to my fellow Korean J.Y Ko, but Nelly is the runaway winner IMO.   Multiple wins, a gold medal and #1 in the world. 

The equation changes if Jin Young picks up a 4th win before the end of the season.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

1) I'd consider the golf bag,....

2) I did buy a PXG buff, and turned it into a headband for one of my straw hats. Lol.

1) I'm still using a lightweight stand bag...found it years ago for $10 at a Salvation Army store😂....it's a plain black Founders Club bag with no logos.....it has a slight tear inside a pocket where I keep my range finder....I've been too lazy to switch bags....I have a Cally & TM bag sitting in the garage that I won in tournaments.

2) 🤣

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Depending on the results over the last  few events, I believe that it is possible for Jin Young to become World No.1 . . . again depending on results.  But, I am not certain . . . @18majors keeps a better handle on the Rolex Rankings and point distributions and might be able to shed some light on that.

Of course, I replied immediately without reading the remainder of hte thread . . . so @Argonne69 seems to have it covered!

Edited by Golf Dino

27 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Depending on the results over the last  few events, I believe that it is possible for Jin Young to become World No.1 . . . again depending on results.  But, I am not certain . . . @18majors keeps a better handle on the Rolex Rankings and point distributions and might be able to shed some light on that.

Of course, I replied immediately without reading the remainder of hte thread . . . so @Argonne69 seems to have it covered!

Jin Young Ko has a chance to retake world's #1 if she wins BMW Ladies Championship next week; but Nelly can retake it by winning Pelican.

It may come down to CME Group Tour Championship to determine Year End #1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rustbelt said:

It has to be Nelly Korda.  She won a major and an Olympic gold.  She had a great year.

Here's the rub, though. As cool as it is to win a gold medal, the field strength is fairly low. 'Not to mention that it's a limited field event. I'd say the field strength is less than your typical non-major event.

• Like 2