Slicing all my Putts And Missing them Right

Jjones519a

Yup, most of the time, the reason is we peak at the hole and come in with the putter slightly slightly open. A good drill is to putt some 4 footers and close your eyes and listen for the ball to drop. It gets you to keep your head down and not look up until your stroke is complete. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5*  TP7HD 

Adams 18* 

Mizuno 921 Hotmetal 4-Gw Steelfiber 110S

Mizuno T7 54/58 KBS 

Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

So my personal favorite is getting a 48" straight edge and just putt so they just roll off the straight edge. You can plop this down almost anywhere and it is super cheap. The other positive is that you start the ball in the nail hang hole so it also gets you to hit up slightly (present positive loft).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YYFV/

$11 

Did I mention you can also use it for actual products. I'm not sure if there is a better training aid for value.

• Like 1

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I have this problem. My putter head wants to move outside the line on my backswing and cuts across the ball on my forward swing. I've worked on it a ton and figured out a few things to keep an eye on:

(1) My body wants to be open at address. I have to force myself to square up my hips and shoulders. One thing that I've found helps with this is the order in which I set my feet when I step into the ball. I step out with my right foot before my left foot and it seems to set me up more square, for whatever reason.

(2) The distance I stand from the ball. I have a tendency to get too close, which pushes my arms outward on the backswing.

(3) Stop watching the putter head - this one is difficult.

(4) Make a real hit at the ball instead of just swiping across it - you want your through swing to be about as long as your backswing. I bet your through swing is way longer than your backswing right now. Try to do the opposite. Make a backswing and then try to make a pop stroke, or your through stroke only like half of the length of your backswing.

(5) Putt more with your core instead of your arms or shoulders.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Mini 300

Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher UHX 18 degree utility iron

Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 / Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

12 hours ago, Jjones519a said:

I legit miss every single putt right. 

Ive been told I slice or cut across the ball.

I started using the line on the ball to line up and its helped but I'm still struggling.  

Can anyone suggest any drills to stop or get the putts online?  I haven't putted a putt in years!

Get a putting mirror.  Any time I start doing that it's purely setup. Shoulders get open, putter path follows the shoulders.

I don't even need to change my stroke, just setup. I'll get on the mirror every couple of weeks to make sure my setup into the ball results in square hips and shoulders. It's weird, sometimes I have to set up with the putter in my right hand, get set, then drop the left hand in, other times I set up with left hand on the putter, drop the right hand in (which results in shoulders more closed than setting up with it in my right hand). 

Whichever one results in a square setup that's what I stick with until I "recalibrate". 

If you do it consistently them aim left and play it! 😀 

Nothing better then having a consistent putting stroke. 

The coin drill/ ball mark under the ball drill etc is a good one I like. Line a up a few putts with a dime pressed into the green under them. Make sure you know if dime is head or tails before you think about lifting your head. If you are old with bad eyesight like me - you keep your head down for a long time. 😀

Lots of variations on this, but you get the idea. When you go to the course you imagine the dime still there. 

Get a Putt-Out mat or similar and maybe a mirror device.  This will point out most flaws and force you to roll it on your line.  Putt-Out Mat helped me immensely in stroking the ball properly down the line with the correct speed.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

This is  what I use  outdoors https://golf.com/instruction/putting/mi-putting-template-training-aid-review/

I also use a putt out putting mirror indoors

The Visio Matt was a game change for me as I hit everything right.. my problem was in the take away..i would do a loop..

It took me awhile before I could make a proper stroke with the Matt as I kept hitting the tees.. it was frustrating at first..

My coach put me onto it has he uses them with the university team he coaches 

15 hours ago, Jjones519a said:

I started using the line on the ball to line up and its helped but I'm still struggling.  

Can anyone suggest any drills to stop or get the putts online?  I haven't putted a putt in years!

I had this problem many years ago. My pro watched me stroke a few 10’ putts and said, “ It’s subtle, but you are moving your lower body just enough to cause the problem”. He suggested I pinch my knees inward, like Arnold Palmer. Voila, problem solved. 

• Like 2

The tee drill with a ball gate in this picture is a life saver when your stroke gets offline.   I roll about 100 putts a week through that set up and it’s helped substantially with my stroke and contact.  

13C6156F-AF9C-435E-BDCF-657027FD0C8D.jpeg

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I would literally come across the ball whenever I was on the green putting as a kid.  Result was the ball starting right and curving right.  I started to putt like Tiger back in my freshman year of college at the behest of my golf coach where Tiger mentions closing the gate.  It's almost an inside out type of stroke.  I would literally do it to the extreme when I started out but it's more neutral now.  I don't ever slice my putts anymore and I consider myself a decent putter nowadays.  Go to youtube and search for Tiger putting stroke and you will see what I'm talking about. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Billy Mayfair won over $20mil through his career cutting the crap out of puts.  He had those balls spinning like tops.  

Edited by BrianMcG

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Do you try to use a straight back, straight through stroke?

To get the proper roll I find it best to let the toe release and use a slightly arching stroke.  

I used to fade my putts and never putted worth a damn.  Switched to short stroke w arch and magically became the best putter in most foursome I play in.

I rebuilt my stroke 2 years ago snd stopped this by using the one hand drill. Putt with only your right hand.  Assuming righty.  You’ll find that your right hand will let the head flow back without going outside the line.  The right wrist should naturally break coming back.  Then unload the opposite way going to and through the ball . Holding off this natural break is what kicked the putter head outside the line. 

think of it just like a full swing. If the head goes outside Coming back it has to either loop back inside to try to get on line. Or cut across like you are  doing.  Taking is back on the target line ( or a hair inside ) and then returning to the ball on that same arched line will get it rolling straight.  

• Like 1

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Face your fears and they'll no longer fear ya.... or whatever you know what I mean 🐓

Hit a slice on purpose... practice it.  It's not hard.  Then you'll know what not to do.  You'll be more in control of the situation cause you'll know exactly what a slice feels like so you'll not do that action unless you want to  You can even play draws.  I'll play both.  Then you'll be able to hit straight cause you'll internally know what a slice and draw putt feels like... no different then your full swing

Golf makes you think 🦆

• Like 1

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

On 10/12/2021 at 10:00 PM, Jjones519a said:

Your suggestions await sire,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

LAB Directed Force (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

Pretty easy fix - try to hit "slinging draws" with your putter. Someone on here mentioned that is what Tiger talks about - it's true. You can practice this by doing the two tees gate drill, but put another tee about 4-5 inches closer to the hole with a third tee that's on the gate tee that's closest to you. Your objective is to not swing outside in and hit the third tee. 

Titleist TSi3 - AD XC 6X

Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 85 X

Srixon ZX 2i - AD DI 9X

Titleist T200 6i - 4i - Modus 120X

Titleist T100S PW - 7i - Modus 120X

Cleveland RTX 4 - Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Anser 2

ProV1X

IMO you should get a Visio putting mat and use tees on both sides to reinforce when the stroke gets out of whack. I would work making a shorter stroke at a very slow pace getting the putter to understand how to trace the arc. Little by little I would increase the pace and stroke length. If you don't know the proper arc you will never make meaning reps towards it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

IMO you should get a Visio putting mat and use tees on both sides to reinforce when the stroke gets out of whack. I would work making a shorter stroke at a very slow pace getting the putter to understand how to trace the arc. Little by little I would increase the pace and stroke length. If you don't know the proper arc you will never make meaning reps towards it 

It took me awhile to get the hang of my Visio Matt.. I couldn't keep it between the tees.. It was like pinball lol

Great investment to work on things at home or the practice green 

• 2 months later...