2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

High and soft landing from 260-270 out.....what club to buy?

PixlPutterman

OP must be playing a lot of 600 yard par 4’s.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

20 hours ago, Mikeflj said:

I would love to know GIR on tour from 260-270. Would it be any higher than 10%?

There was a hole like this during the olympics, where they were talking about how good the fairway woods have gotten. I think each guy in the group was near the pin from 260-270.  He said something like "Tom Kite said he never could find a fairway wood that he trusted; times have changed.  All of these guys can easily hit greens from that distance now".  

We have a 245 yard par 4 on the executive course I play at (back tees are 320 but they are under construction).  If I hit 10 balls from there, 1 to 3 will be on the green, 2-4 will be close (bump and run chip for an easy birdie), and the other 5 will be a good 20-30 yard lob wedge away.  That is a tee though, and I am no pro.  From watching golf tournaments, it seems like the number would be higher than 1/10, given the number of par 5 eagle opportunities that one sees from a well-struck drive in the fairway.  I would only be counting fairway drives, not overall eagle putts on a par 5; gotta eliminate the bad drives as they won't often have a decent shot to the pin, but if we took FIR on a given par 5 and then saw how many eagle chances resulted, I bet it is >>10% 

3 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

OP must be playing a lot of 600 yard par 4’s.

You not familiar with par 5s?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

3 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

But my 5W is 18.75" now: where did you find a 21 degree 5W?  

Might be a regular 5 wood turned up

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

@PixlPutterman  from 265 out after slicing it into the parking lot...

SneakyDemandingHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif.dad02fc7a53247838437a7accbc68859.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, Ripken08 said:

Please post a vid of you carrying a 5 wood 260-270.  I'm sure many would like to see.

I dont have a track man, but this is my home course. I put the 5 wood in the bunker on the fly last round playing at standard loft. It was tee'd and I probably caught it on the way up so low spin.....

image.png.f86ef4fba5d567557b09cf686cf98f8b.png

Here is an old driver swing

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 2

Seemore mFGP2 

16 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

@PixlPutterman  from 265 out after slicing it into the parking lot...

SneakyDemandingHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif.dad02fc7a53247838437a7accbc68859.gif

Wrong, Im left handed that guy is righty

• Haha 1

Seemore mFGP2 

19 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

I dont have a track man, but this is my home course. I put the 5 wood in the bunker on the fly last round playing at standard loft.

image.png.f86ef4fba5d567557b09cf686cf98f8b.png

Here is an old driver swing

Nice swing! Reminds of those smooth and efficient South African swings, lots of speed at the bottom. 

As for your OP, have you tried any of the chunkier, higher launching driving irons? Srixon U-series/ZX, Titleist U510, things like that? Sorry if you mentioned it already. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Bridgestone 

Big question is do you want drop and stop performance at 250?

If so, you need an intentionally inefficient ball flight.  Think a 270 club with 4k+ spin numbers.

This is more of a shot making question than anything else.

I can hit my 2 iron(u500) 250 on the fly and get it to hold reasonably well, but it's  certainly not soft landing unless I smoke a high cut with it, and that's just a high demand swing.

I'm adding a Mizuno stz 5 wood to fill that need when I'm playing longer courses.  That 2-iron is a great tee club on shorter courses, and I can hit good approach shots with it, but it's a high demand club to get it to work across the board.

The answer is to have both (and maybe a 7 wood too!)

Fwiw, I hit my tsi4 turned down to 7° around 14° 1800rpm and mid 190s ball.

Edited by Bdck

3 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Nice swing! Reminds of those smooth and efficient South African swings, lots of speed at the bottom. 

As for your OP, have you tried any of the chunkier, higher launching driving irons? Srixon U-series/ZX, Titleist U510, things like that? Sorry if you mentioned it already. 

Thanks, always found as soon as my temp got a little quicker, scores got real bad real fast.

I have but not for this purposed. I tested a hand full in years past to see if it was time to update the MP Fli's ........... it wasnt lol

May be worth looking into if the Cobra 5 wood I have coming doesnt work. Thought about like a u85, a little longer than my current 2i, with a touch softer shaft.

Seemore mFGP2 

4 minutes ago, Bdck said:

Big question is do you want drop and stop performance at 250?

If so, you need an intentionally inefficient ball flight.  Think a 270 club with 4k+ spin numbers.

This is more of a shot making question than anything else.

I can hit my 2 iron(u500) 250 on the fly and get it to hold reasonably well, but it's  certainly not soft landing unless I smoke a high cut with it, and that's just a high demand swing.

I'm adding a Mizuno stz 5 wood to fill that need when I'm playing longer courses.  That 2-iron is a great tee club on shorter courses, and I can hit good approach shots with it, but it's a high demand club to get it to work across the board.

The answer is to have both (and maybe a 7 wood too!)

The bigger question is why an I investing so much thought into a club that I "need" for a few holes on maybe one or two courses in my area 🙂

I think finding a 5 wood I am comfortable with is key, I can get the launch I want and dial in the distance for the gap I need by messing with shaft length a bit.

Seemore mFGP2 

11 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

Thanks, always found as soon as my temp got a little quicker, scores got real bad real fast.

I have but not for this purposed. I tested a hand full in years past to see if it was time to update the MP Fli's ........... it wasnt lol

May be worth looking into if the Cobra 5 wood I have coming doesnt work. Thought about like a u85, a little longer than my current 2i, with a touch softer shaft.

9 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

The bigger question is why an I investing so much thought into a club that I "need" for a few holes on maybe one or two courses in my area 🙂

I think finding a 5 wood I am comfortable with is key, I can get the launch I want and dial in the distance for the gap I need by messing with shaft length a bit.

I agree that a comfortable 5w is probably the best solution, but something like the ZX Utility is worth a try as well IMO. I'm jockeying between the two right now as its just so much easier to hit a 5w way up in the air if needed.  

Bridgestone 

1 hour ago, Barfolomew said:

Thats why I play a M2 3 wood HL @ 16.5*

Lands softly and lovely

I have an M1 3hl and I just don't care for it

Seemore mFGP2 

1 hour ago, bnperrone said:

Let Phil know when you find that club, cause apparently that shot isn’t even an option for him. At least not at sea level.

https://www.facebook.com/pgachampionship/videos/1559675571067956/

At the 2020 PGA Championship , sea level course, from the 216 yard par 3,  8th hole tee box, no wind,  players were swinging 5-wood.

At that same tournament Morikawa's famous 16th hole tee shot was a driver which carried 255 yards.

At sea level , flat terrain, no wind, my guess is that PGA Tour average carry distance from a ground lie is 240 for a 3-wood and 220 for a 5-wood.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I know the OP has gotten beat up a bit on this one, but I objectively came at this and something doesn't add up.

If he wants to have a soft landing from 260, that sounds like he's trying to land it on the green. And if he's trying to make that shot from the fairway, it must mean he's playing a par 4 - otherwise, he wouldn't have the pressure of reaching the green in two.

His question also suggests that he hits long, so I imagine he's 300+ off the tee.

At a pretty long course I was on yesterday, the longest par 4 - from the championship tees - was 474.

So, 474 minus 300 off the tee, leaves 174 to go.

Or to build the numbers backward:

300 off the tee

+260 to get on the green in order to leave 2 on a par 4

=560 par 4

Payne's Valley has a 494 yard par 4, so that would leave only 194 yards to go...

Am I playing short courses or will I never have to actually face a 260 shot to the green?

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

19 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

I have an M1 3hl and I just don't care for it

Too bad I love mine... 🦄

Maybe you just dont like the older M1 there are many other 3 or 4 woods just cause you dont like yours lol.... do a fitting and try a bunch

What are your other options cause that's a long shot? 

Maybe a turned down hybrid or that new Callaway Super hybrid

Can't figure how to like my own posts

At the end of the day some people are making jokes, but OP posted his swing and ummmm....it looked pretty legit.

Want to see an ugly lefty swing?

But who said you can't carry it 270?

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

off the deck, no hazard defending green?

a really hot, shallow faced 3 wood with a low spin, high launch shaft...like the new GD offering....

OR...an 11* Kasco k2k ....you'd have to switch out the shaft to a low  spin, high launch....JP used to crush that club back when...still have it!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

5 hours ago, Vater said:

I know the OP has gotten beat up a bit on this one, but I objectively came at this and something doesn't add up.

If he wants to have a soft landing from 260, that sounds like he's trying to land it on the green. And if he's trying to make that shot from the fairway, it must mean he's playing a par 4 - otherwise, he wouldn't have the pressure of reaching the green in two.

His question also suggests that he hits long, so I imagine he's 300+ off the tee.

At a pretty long course I was on yesterday, the longest par 4 - from the championship tees - was 474.

So, 474 minus 300 off the tee, leaves 174 to go.

Or to build the numbers backward:

300 off the tee

+260 to get on the green in order to leave 2 on a par 4

=560 par 4

Payne's Valley has a 494 yard par 4, so that would leave only 194 yards to go...

Am I playing short courses or will I never have to actually face a 260 shot to the green?

This is mostly par 5s I will be using this on.

There are a few par 4 that are right and dog leg so I don't want run out through the dog leg.

I do not have any par 4 where I have 260 into the green.

I don't usually go for par 5s in two of my second shot is that long but a few have almost zero trouble around the green so second shot is bomb and chip strategy.

Seemore mFGP2 

4 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Too bad I love mine... 🦄

Maybe you just dont like the older M1 there are many other 3 or 4 woods just cause you dont like yours lol.... do a fitting and try a bunch

What are your other options cause that's a long shot? 

Maybe a turned down hybrid or that new Callaway Super hybrid

I have the new cobra rad tour 5 wood coming, should be what I need, compact and the rails let you get down on it.

I've always been a good iron player and take divots so woods have never really got along with me

Seemore mFGP2 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, Ripken08 said:

Please post a vid of you carrying a 5 wood 260-270.  I'm sure many would like to see.

we’re out here!

46FC1147-C34A-4B3A-8E08-A0C39659C9E0.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

I can’t decide what is funnier, the original post or all the people who answer like it is real question. 

my next post,

“what can I hit 290-300 that will land soft with a little backspin if I need it?

I would put a lot of $ down that most asking the question or answering this thread can even hit it 260

• Haha 2

I play in some local district events and get paired up with local college kids occasionally and the yardages some of them hit it is eye opening. 

They moved up one of the par 4s to 305 middle of the green and this flat bellied youngster hits a high cut fairway wood - literally higher than I could ever hit a wedge, and it drops out of the sky to 10 feet. 

After saying “nice shot”,  I look over and it’s an old burner or r9 or steelhead - something made around when he was born - 3 or 4 wood. Tiny little spinny head. 

I see high & soft , I think spin. Maybe grab an older fairway wood. It won’t be optimized for carry but you really don’t want it to be. 

Edited by magnus7319
  • Like 1

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

9 hours ago, pldbryan said:

I can’t decide what is funnier, the original post or all the people who answer like it is real question. 

my next post,

“what can I hit 290-300 that will land soft with a little backspin if I need it?

I would put a lot of $ down that most asking the question or answering this thread can even hit it 260

Or, responding when you didn't read through the thread....?

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seemore mFGP2