High and soft landing from 260-270 out.....what club to buy?

PixlPutterman

10 hours ago, pldbryan said:

I can’t decide what is funnier, the original post or all the people who answer like it is real question. 

my next post,

“what can I hit 290-300 that will land soft with a little backspin if I need it?

I would put a lot of $ down that most asking the question or answering this thread can even hit it 260

Lol.  How much you willing to put down ?  

@PixlPutterman      Have you tried the 300 mini with a shaft you like in 3 wood ? . turn loft up to around 15 degrees.      I use mine for just the yardages you’re describing.  To me it’s easier off the deck than most any shallow 3 wood.    I have a tensei blue Ck 80 TX in mine.   Can’t beat it. 

Edit to say.  It a purposely less than optimal club spin wise.  A spinny shaft in a low loft head cranked up in loft.  This makes for a high launch. High spin combo.  I could  plunk a tensei white in it and crank it to 11 degrees and  probably  hit a 300 yard bullet off a really low tee. 

The issue with trying to get a 5 wood to that number is perfect contact.  It requires a nutted shot both  in aoa and horizontal areas on the face.  The bigger head , lower loft spinner combo won’t. You can get it nearly there with a dead clank toe or heel  horizontal miss as long as the path is good and it’s clean before turf.  It’s spinning enough to not be too crooked.  

Edited by bladehunter

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

15 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

This is mostly par 5s I will be using this on.

There are a few par 4 that are right and dog leg so I don't want run out through the dog leg.

I do not have any par 4 where I have 260 into the green.

I don't usually go for par 5s in two of my second shot is that long but a few have almost zero trouble around the green so second shot is bomb and chip strategy.

Yeah, not sure why the other poster gave you grief for this.  I had a 245 and 260 carry on 2 par 5's yesterday and they are tough, but not impossible, shots.  I didn't land either one but put them close enough to chip up and have a makeable birdie putt (which I duly missed in both cases).  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

@PixlPutterman      Have you tried the 300 mini with a shaft you like in 3 wood turned up to around 15 degrees ?     I use mine for just the yardages you’re describing.  To me it’s easier off the deck than most any shallow 3 wood.    I have a tensei blue Ck 80 TX in mine.   Can’t beat it. 

Edit to say.  It a purposely less than optimal club spin wise.  A spinny shaft in a low loft head cranked up in loft.  This makes for a high launch. High spin combo.  I could  plunk a tensei white in it and crank it to 11 degrees and  probably  hit a 300 yard bullet off a really low tee. 

The issue with trying to get a 5 wood to that number is perfect contact.  It requires a nutted shot both  in aoa and horizontal areas on the face.  The bigger head , lower loft spinner combo won’t. You can get it nearly there with a dead clank toe or heel  horizontal miss as long as the path is good and it’s clean before turf.  It’s spinning enough to not be too crooked.  

I bought one to test and this might be a good idea.  I had a really spinny shaft and it was too soft (65S) but with a Ventus 7X black, I was hitting it with fairly high loft and straight. 

• Like 1

@PixlPutterman  With all due respect, if you are looking for this type of club, you might be missing some much better opportunities to utilize your club makeup to help shave a few (partial) strokes.  I just can't imagine a world where you would hit this type of club often enough AND materially better than another club that might be better suited for other applications.  

Just a quick observation and I apologize if this point has already been covered.  

Epic MAX LS w/AD BB

Razr Fit 12° w/ Kuro Kage 
X Forged UT 18° & 22° w/PX
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 53 & 59 w/PX
White Hot #5 Center Shafted
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

@PixlPutterman      Have you tried the 300 mini with a shaft you like in 3 wood ? . turn loft up to around 15 degrees.      I use mine for just the yardages you’re describing.  To me it’s easier off the deck than most any shallow 3 wood.    I have a tensei blue Ck 80 TX in mine.   Can’t beat it. 

I played the mini as a driver last year, turned down to 9.5, was great and easy off the deck to.

5 wood is the right club for me I think, just need to find one I get along with which I think the new Rad tour head with do

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° - Fujikura Pro 53k X

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 17° - Fujikura Pro 73 X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
Cleveland Zipcore 50°/54°/60° Full Face - Tour S400
Mack Made Custom - KBS One Step
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

5 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

@PixlPutterman  With all due respect, if you are looking for this type of club, you might be missing some much better opportunities to utilize your club makeup to help shave a few (partial) strokes.  I just can't imagine a world where you would hit this type of club often enough AND materially better than another club that might be better suited for other applications.  

Just a quick observation and I apologize if this point has already been covered.  

I hear yeah on that, I've played 13 clubs for around a decade and really haven't had any issues with "other areas" my biggest place to improve is I need to get better putting lol.

This is more a boredom of having an open slot in the bag kinda thing. I don't "need" to fill it lol

Taylormade Sim 9° - Fujikura Pro 53k X

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 17° - Fujikura Pro 73 X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
Cleveland Zipcore 50°/54°/60° Full Face - Tour S400
Mack Made Custom - KBS One Step
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

5 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I bought one to test and this might be a good idea.  I had a really spinny shaft and it was too soft (65S) but with a Ventus 7X black, I was hitting it with fairly high loft and straight. 

Edit, I was hitting this again today with the stock shaft and it is probably too long for your needs.  I was getting a lot more launch (even set to 11.5 degrees) with the stock 65 Proto stiff shaft (which is a pogo stick compared to my Ventus 7X black).  

Great driver though.  With that softer shaft, I was forced to be smooth and "feel" the load at the top.  It was probably the best range session I have ever had with a driver, accuracy wise.  I was only carrying 230 with somewhat range-limited distance balls, rolling out to 250, but still.  Jumping back into my SIM2, I was making that same smooth swing and getting the ball out to a carry of 240 with lower trajectory; it is a good training tool!   The SIM2 is at 10.5 but the shaft on the Mini is a lot softer, which makes a big difference.  

I am kinda wondering if it would make sense to just have a 43.5" driver with hotmelt for tighter courses. I don't really know if the Mini 300 is more accurate than a regular driver: it could just be the lower tee and shorter shaft encourage a more controlled 4W type swing.  I also teed up my 4W and it was about 15 yards shorter than the Mini, but with a different trajectory. The Mini seemed to get high quick and carry, whereas the 4W stayed low and climbed over time, but dropped with more spin and even on the range, stopped within 10-15 yards.