Jump to content

Opinion re: new Mevo+ v. Xi+ v. Xi Tour


dk10438
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I want to get a PLM to help improve my swing.  I don't really have space in my current house/garage so most likely this would be something that I'd use at the range.  i wanted to get opinions on getting a Mevo + v. one of the Xi's used.  I see that the FS VX app is only compatible with X series launch monitor.  

 

Initially I was thinking of going for the Xi+ but when I look at the FS comparison charts it looks like the Xi+ is more or less a Mevo+??  The tour gives club data? But is significantly more expensive than the other two....

Edited by dk10438
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dk10438 said:

Hi,

I want to get a PLM to help improve my swing.  I don't really have space in my current house/garage so most likely this would be something that I'd use at the range.  i wanted to get opinions on getting a Mevo + v. one of the Xi's used.  I see that the FS VX app is only compatible with X series launch monitor.  

 

Initially I was thinking of going for the Xi+ but when I look at the FS comparison charts it looks like the Xi+ is more or less a Mevo+??  The tour gives club data? But is significantly more expensive than the other two....

Xi+ measures full flight of the ball. Mevo + measures the first 40 feet. Xi+ IMO is far superior but I’m sure others will disagree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't used Mevo+ - but from what I've read it seems to be sensitive to setup alignment.  The auto-level functionality of the X series could potentially make a big difference in that respect.

 

 

17 hours ago, dk10438 said:

I want to get a PLM to help improve my swing.  I don't really have space in my current house/garage so most likely this would be something that I'd use at the range. 

 

As far as working on the swing, if you're going to be at the range anyways - not sure the units w/o club data would be all that helpful in that particular context.   There is little they can tell you about the quality of your swing that you can't already see by watching the ball flight.   

 

The biggest benefit (IMO) of PLM's in working on the swing is to allow practice at times when going to the range is not practical or possible. (e.g. bad weather, after dark, off season work, shorter time windows, etc..).  They provide useful data and feedback on the ball flight in the cases where you can't see it yourself.

 

Units with club data can be helpful - but only if you already understand your mechanics and what the proper/best fix might be.  Then the numbers can then be used to track progress and effectiveness of the changes.   Without that understanding, the added information can actually be detrimental.   Many have gone down the rabbit hole of trying to chase LM numbers just for the sake of hitting some arbitrary targets - which may or may not actually be good for their swing.  Basic understanding of video swing analysis is always going to be way more important and useful at helping the swing than LM's will be.  LM's can only supplement that type of work, not replace it.

 

I have an Xi Tour and rarely bother to take it to the range (even with the club data).   When I do, it's mostly to help adjust the clubs (e.g. distance gapping), not my swing. But I'll still frequently take a tripod for video's.

 

 

 

Edited by Stuart_G
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CardsChamps11 said:

Xi+ measures full flight of the ball. Mevo + measures the first 40 feet. Xi+ IMO is far superior but I’m sure others will disagree. 

No disagreement there. The main issue is the Xi+ is pretty soon going to be a legacy product and future support might be limited.

 

8 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

 

 

 

 

As far as working on the swing, if you're going to be at the range anyways - not sure the units w/o club data would be all that helpful in that particular context.   There is little they can tell you about the quality of your swing that you can't already see by watching the ball flight.    The biggest benefit (IMO) of PLM's in working on the swing is to allow practice at times when going to the range is not practical or possible. (e.g. bad weather, after dark, off season work, shorter time windows, etc..).

 

Units with club data can be helpful - but only if you already understand your mechanics and what the proper/best fix might be.  Then the numbers can then be used to track progress and effectiveness of the changes.   Without that understanding, the added information can actually be detrimental.   Many have gone down the rabbit hole of trying to chase LM numbers just for the sake of hitting some arbitrary targets - which may or may not actually be good for their swing.  Basic understanding of video swing analysis is always going to be way more important and useful at helping the swing than LM's will be.  LM's can only supplement that type of work, not replace it.

 

I agree. I would also argue the ball only distance data isn't super helpful if your range doesn't have high quality full flight balls.  I do all my gapping indoors with my actual balls

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

No disagreement there. The main issue is the Xi+ is pretty soon going to be a legacy product and future support might be limited.

 

True but they tend to be pretty reliable.  The main thing that might need service is the battery and I'd expect to be able to get replacements for that a lot longer than any other type of support.  Even then Flightscope seems to be much better than any of the other OEM's at giving out deals to upgrade when support goes away.    I know they made some really good offers to the X2 owners when that went out of service for the X3's.   And I've even seen some similar incentives come my way to upgrade the Xi Tour to the X3.  Unfortunately my sim software doesn't (or didn't) ever have X3 support added and I have no interest in having to upgrade both the LM and the software.

 

 

Edited by Stuart_G
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

 

True but they tend to be pretty reliable.  The main thing that might need service is the battery and I'd expect to be able to get replacements for that a lot longer than any other type of support.  Even then Flightscope seems to be much better than any of the other OEM's at giving out deals to upgrade when support goes away.    I know they made some really good offers to the X2 owners when that went out of service for the X3's.   And I've even seen some similar incentives come my way to upgrade the Xi Tour to the X3.  Unfortunately my sim software doesn't (or didn't) ever have X3 support added and I have no interest in having to upgrade both the LM and the software.

 

 

That is true, they offered me 6k to trade in my Xi+ for an X3, but I ultimately went with the quad since radar just didn't work well in my garage. My Xi+ was issue free for the 4 years I had it (minus all the misreads of course lol)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wow, thanks for all the great replies.  I'm starting to see people with PLM's pop up at the range now so I thought it'd be cool to get one myself.  I'm trying to justify spending more money by telling myself that it can actually help my game.  TBH, Mevo+ is probably all that I need but Xi tour or Xi+ wouldn't be bad if I could get one for 3k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...