Jump to content

US Open moving towards a rota system.


PHILsThemannnn
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

Good point, but I'm pretty sure the PGA of America purchased Valhalla, so there's no way the USGA will ever go there. I think there's a good chance that Southern Hills and Oak Hill host a US Open in the future. Both courses are hosting a US AM in the near future.

The USGA F'd up Chambers Bay by killing the greens. Tee-to-green I actually thought it was a great set up but the greens were horrendous. The only other complaint I had about CB was they played 18 as a par 4 on Friday. I think it plays better as a par 5. The greens are now Poa Annua instead of fescue. I'd love to see a PGA Championship return to Chambers Bay. I think the PGA Of America would do a really good job with Chambers Bay. They do a really good job at courses that have never hosted a major before. Harding Park was a great set up because it was an exciting tournament and you didn't hear a single peep about the course.

I wish I could share your confidence that the US Open would come back to Oak Hill.  It hasn't been there since 1989 and no chance of it being there through 2027... 38 years!  At least Oak Hill gets a periodic PGA Championship, but I fear that could be in jeopardy given the move to May.  

 

Too bad because the course is an outstanding Donald Ross challenge and a great venue for fans.  They've invested a ton making it longer and most recently rebuilt every green (I think).  Also the region is rich with avid golfers and golf history and even draws from south western Ontario CA.  It's the home of Walter Hagen and Jeff Sluman. Robert Trent Jones senior's first job as a golf pro was in the area and he completed his first golf course design in the area.  Lots of golf history, avid fans but seemingly not a lot of love from the USGA. 

 

A rota excludes the so many great courses across the USA and...

 

I THink it sucks. - Winger - Mad About Memes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the usga had to work lacc for a number of years to get them to agree to host ... doubt they will want to be an anchor for the usga ... their course will be restricted play for half a year, at best ... 

 

i would think oak hill would be a prime target for the usga ... midwestern site with history ... big, brawny course ... 

 

agree with phil ... would love to see the pga at chambers ... 

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I wish I could share your confidence that the US Open would come back to Oak Hill.  It hasn't been there since 1989 and no chance of it being there through 2027... 38 years!  At least Oak Hill gets a periodic PGA Championship, but I fear that could be in jeopardy given the move to May.  

 

Too bad because the course is an outstanding Donald Ross challenge and a great venue for fans.  They've invested a ton making it longer and most recently rebuilt every green (I think).  Also the region is rich with avid golfers and golf history and even draws from south western Ontario CA.  It's the home of Walter Hagen and Jeff Sluman. Robert Trent Jones senior's first job as a golf pro was in the area and he completed his first golf course design in the area.  Lots of golf history, avid fans but seemingly not a lot of love from the USGA. 

 

A rota excludes the so many great courses across the USA and...

 

I THink it sucks. - Winger - Mad About Memes

Ok so I gotta clarify somethings. So I was thinking the USGA should do something more along the lines of maybe like a regional rota

 

It'd be something like the following


Pacific Coast: Pebble, Olympic, LACC, Chambers Bay

Northeast: Oakmont, Merion, Bethpage, Winged Foot, Shinnecock 

Midwest: Erin Hills, Hazeltine, Oakland Hills, Whistling Straits

South: Pinehurst, Southern Hills and maybe Colonial

 

To me it seems like the USGA's been sticking to California Courses or the North East. In fact every US Open from 2018-2023 has been in the North East or California.  Since 2000 they've had 15 US Opens in CA or the North East. It'd be nice to see some variety for a change. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, tiderider said:

the usga had to work lacc for a number of years to get them to agree to host ... doubt they will want to be an anchor for the usga ... their course will be restricted play for half a year, at best ... 

 

i would think oak hill would be a prime target for the usga ... midwestern site with history ... big, brawny course ... 

 

agree with phil ... would love to see the pga at chambers ... 

Just for clarification, Oak Hill is outside of Rochester NY in far Western NY state. Not quite mid-west but definitely more like the mid-west than NYC region 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All of the LA courses mentioned here are amazing, but LACC is without a doubt the most exclusive of the bunch. I have no idea if their current entrance fee is $25K, but if it is that's only because the money is not really of any importance there. Hollywood types need not bother applying, although Ronald Reagan did manage to get in. That was probably after he had moved on from his "Hollywood phase".

 

As far as the rota itself, I think, at least according to the USGA, that one main driver is conversations they've had with the players themselves. The players have apparently told the USGA that they want to see the Open contested on the great courses that have been significant mainstays in the history of the game here in the US. I can understand that. I do like to see the occasional outliers though. I agree Chambers Bay could have actually been great if handled properly. Even a course like the Country Club in Boston, on tap for next year, probably wouldn't see an Open again. To me that's a huge bummer. That's a great venue (the first Open I ever attended was there in '88), and that and many other great ones like it would be left behind in this new strategy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to see the PGA Championship on some sort of rotation showcasing exclusive country clubs around the country.  The US Open, being an open championship, I always thought should be trying to showcase the best public golf in America.  I know it's an unrealistic dream, most courses just don't have the space/amenities to hold a pro event, let alone a major. 

  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, clp34vmp said:

All of the LA courses mentioned here are amazing, but LACC is without a doubt the most exclusive of the bunch. I have no idea if their current entrance fee is $25K, but if it is that's only because the money is not really of any importance there. Hollywood types need not bother applying, although Ronald Reagan did manage to get in. That was probably after he had moved on from his "Hollywood phase".

 

As far as the rota itself, I think, at least according to the USGA, that one main driver is conversations they've had with the players themselves. The players have apparently told the USGA that they want to see the Open contested on the great courses that have been significant mainstays in the history of the game here in the US. I can understand that. I do like to see the occasional outliers though. I agree Chambers Bay could have actually been great if handled properly. Even a course like the Country Club in Boston, on tap for next year, probably wouldn't see an Open again. To me that's a huge bummer. That's a great venue (the first Open I ever attended was there in '88), and that and many other great ones like it would be left behind in this new strategy.

I hope Country Club hosts a good US Open in 2022. Seems like a great course and would be nice to see Boston some golf tournaments again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I would like to see the PGA Championship on some sort of rotation showcasing exclusive country clubs around the country.  The US Open, being an open championship, I always thought should be trying to showcase the best public golf in America.  I know it's an unrealistic dream, most courses just don't have the space/amenities to hold a pro event, let alone a major. 

The MOST exclusive have little to no desire to host an Open and let the riffraff tromp around and soil their grounds

  • Like 4

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

The MOST exclusive have little to no desire to host an Open and let the riffraff tromp around and soil their grounds

 

Why is it that so few people seem to understand that if the members of a course don't want to deal with what comes along with hosting an event, the discussion ends there?  Amazing how people are so quick to tell others what to do with their property.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

The MOST exclusive have little to no desire to host an Open and let the riffraff tromp around and soil their grounds

 

I'm almost certain that I stated this was unrealistic.  Reading isn't that hard. 

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

LACC isn't that exclusive. They've got 800 members and its $25,000. Most of the LA "elite" play at Bel Air, Riviera, or at Sherwood down in Thousand Oaks.

Also you're exactly right on subsidizing the maintenance for the clubs. The R&A follows a similar model and that way they don't need to spend an absurd amount of time getting their venues ready.  The R&A has only announced up to 2025 for their future venues as opposed to the USGA who's already announced the venues for 2049 and 2050. 

I think another reason the USGA is doing this whole anchor site thing because of COVID. They announced Pinehurst in September last year in the heart of the pandemic and I think the plan was essentially if some unforeseen circumstances come up before the tournament. They should be able to move to an anchor site with no/minimal delay as opposed to pushing back the tournament 3 months.

LOL I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. The initiation fees at LACC (or ANGC for that matter are a red herring. Unless you are from an old line WASP Los Angeles family you ain't getting in. Riviera and Bel Air are by comparison open to anyone with the dough to join.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snarkesor said:

LOL I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. The initiation fees at LACC (or ANGC for that matter are a red herring. Unless you are from an old line WASP Los Angeles family you ain't getting in. Riviera and Bel Air are by comparison open to anyone with the dough to join.

I might be wrong haha. I honestly just looked it up online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

 

I'm almost certain that I stated this was unrealistic.  Reading isn't that hard. 

You based it on space and amenities…..I just added a big reason.  
 

 

Didn’t argue with you at all, read mine again.😏

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 6:28 AM, Ghostwedge said:

NO, this freezes out to many other great courses around the country. If its just about making as much money as possible then do it. Meanwhile screw over the flyover section of the country (Southern Hills, Bellerive, Vallaha, etc.)

H&ll, they owe the Pacific NW another US Open, Chambers Bay was a disaster only because the USGA insisted on "natural" conditions, that's a great course and venue otherwise. The "rota" is stuffy old elitist British nonsense.

 

USGA essentially had a rotation anyway.  This just semi-formalizes it and creates a reason they can support the clubs with maintenance.  I suspect it also includes some form of agreements that the USGA hosts other "less premier" championships at those sites.  

 

Regarding the part of your quote I bolded above, those courses are "PGA Championship" courses.  PGA of A also has an unofficial rota.  Those courses you listed seem to fit their mold.  Brawny, mid-western courses or blue-collar vibe type places..

 

Regarding what I underlined, I agree.  I wouldn't have a problem with them going back to chambers bay.  I thought the course provided a nice test and showed well on TV (despite Fox's coverage).  I do get that it is not the best from an on-site spectator's standpoint but that is several places down the list of concerns in my book as providing a proper test and the tv broadcast are much higher concerns for me.

 

Like I said initially, the rota stuff was happening anyway.  Both the PGA 'ship and US Open had them unofficially.  Most of us here could have rattled off 15 courses and which tournament they would host for the next ten years  and probably been about 80% accurate.

 

If the USGA injects a different, deserving venue about every third year outside of their group I think that is about right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 RSM Classic - Discussion and Links
      2021 RSM Classic - Monday
      2021 RSM Classic - Tuesday #1
      2021 RSM Classic - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Brett Drewitt - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Matt Wallace - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Josh Creel - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Ben Crane - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Justin Lower - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Adam Svensson - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Brendon Todd - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Webb Simpson - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Chesson Hadley - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Kiradech Aphibarnrat - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Bill Haas - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Max Homa - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Nick Watney - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
       
       
      New Odyssey Tri Hot putters - 2021 RSM Classic
       
       
       
       
      • 2 replies
    • 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Pat Perez - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Tony Finau - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Kramer Hickok - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Paul Barjon - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Nate Lashley - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Seamus Powers - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Dylan Frittelli - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      C.T. Pan - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Chase Koepka - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Branden Grace - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Marc Leishman - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Martin Laird - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Shane Lowery - WITB - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
       
      Cameron CT T-11 putter - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      New Graphite Design shafts - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Cameron cover from 2021 ZOZO Championship - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Bettinardi covers - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Cameron CT putters - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
       
       
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #3
       
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • APPLY NOW: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! 10 Testers Needed!
      L.A.B. Golf is choosing ten GolfWRX members to receive their MEZZ.1 putter early and put their brand new product to the test before reporting back to the community about what they see. The selected testers will be one of the first to experience the MEZZ.1 from L.A.B. GOLF, their newest Lie Angle Balanced design, ahead of it's January 2022 launch!
       
      About The L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Putter
      MEZZ.1 is our new mid-mallet putter that’s fully CNC machined from a billet of 6061 aircraft aluminum (body) and 303 stainless steel (midsection) to create our best-feeling — and we think best looking — putter to date. It includes 10 weights (eight on the bottom, two on the sides) that allow us to individually build each putter to a golfer’s exact specifications.
       
      How To Apply
      In a post below, answer the following questions.
       
      1. City, State?
      2. Handicap?
      3. What is your current putter?
      4. Have you ever used a L.A.B. Golf putter?
      5. Why do you want to review the MEAZZ.1 putter?
      6. Do you agree to participate in an ongoing testing thread, posting reviews and photos?
       
      That's it! @labgolf and GolfWRX will choose the testers in about 2 weeks! This testing event is for good-standing members in the USA only!
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 435 replies
    • 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #1
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Adam Scott - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Jason Day - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Erik Van Rooyen - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Matt Jones - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Min Kyu - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Joohyung Kim - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Lucas Glover - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
       
       
       
      Gary Woodland's new Cameron putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Kevin Na's new Odyssey/Toulon putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jucie wedges & Proto irons - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
       
       
       
       
      • 6 replies
    • 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      Links:
       
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Ian Poulter - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Matt NeSmith - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Cameron Las Vegas covers - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX shafts - 2021 Shriners Hospitals doe Children Open
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 15 replies

×
×
  • Create New...