MEMBER REVIEWS: Lag Shot Swing Training Aid! See What Members Are Saying!

1295570636_LAGSHOTTESTINGMEMBERTESTING.png.e8a689e96be87920015a86cd00134209.png

We have five members testing out the Lag Shot 7 Iron Swing Training Aid! The members listed below will be reporting back to the community about how the things that they have noticed and how it has helped them while using this training aid. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them! The testers are:

@QuigleyDU

@Augster

@Stetson

@MPG

@golfinbrad

Special thank you to @LagShotGolffor putting on this member testing event!

• Like 1

Thanks @LagShotGolf and WRX for the opportunity! Mine has not arrived yet but I am excited for it. I have wanted to try this product for some time now.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Thanks Lag Shot and GolfWRX for the opportunity! Mine arrived, safe, late last week and I put it to use right away. 

Firstly, packaging. The Lag Shot was well packaged and arrived quite safe. Here are some initial pics of the packaging. 

Once I got it out of the box it was fun to play with. The shaft is VERY whippy. Moreso, I think, than my Orange Whip. The club is also heavier than a “normal” 7-iron, and the shaft is much thicker at the head end. It’s a pretty cool training aid, all in all. 

I took a few swipes in my backyard hitting area just to give it a try. Limited success. You will definitely lag this clubhead. What you do with the lag will need to be trained. 

The instructions indicate to start with watching the videos. So I watched the first one, and the second one. It’s all I had time for. There are about an hour worth of videos to watch. 

In the second video he explains that, with a lagged clubhead, you’ll have to do the “motorcycle move” to square it up. You see this move in all good players. Some very obvious and do it early, like DJ, and some players its barely noticeable. But all of them play with lag and all of them close down the face/motorcycle move/knuckle under to make the lag square. If it didn’t happen, you’ll have lots of toe hits and lots of squirters to the right. 

Because the Lag Shot creates extreme lag, there really won’t be a way to square it without this move. So for MANY players, this move will be foreign to them and need to be ingrained. 

So after watching the first two videos, and the explanation of how to square a lagged clubhead, it was back to the hitting net. When I used the motorcycle move, I got very crisp contact in the middle of the face. When I didn’t, or didn’t get enough, or timed the sequence incorrectly, it’s off the toe out right. 

I’ll have to take this to a range soon to give it a good workout and actually see ball flights. I’ll update this when I do. But my initial impression is that I really like it. It’s very demanding, you aren’t going to “master” it in one swing. As I practice with it, I hope to take the new lag moves I’m building and bring it to the course. 

Thanks Lag Shot and WRX!

0D5D8737-FA05-4270-A488-FDA4599BD602.jpeg

3FA82B48-8E81-4509-A93F-6E8BF2D9E0E1.jpeg

EE7B1831-7FFC-45D4-953C-B8C3F9B6BEDF.jpeg

C73C9AEA-9E69-4497-A5A1-A47B8BC04F85.jpeg

3B5CD1C7-2BBD-4ED6-86C9-F7DC2A0BF848.jpeg

53239164-CFC9-4063-989E-39C074218E56.jpeg

• Like 2

QuiglyDU, I know you can get after it.  I am very interested on hearing how this works with the speed you can generate.  

I've had my eye on this one for a while.  No pressure guys to get the rest of us onboard, j/k.  Looking forward to the reviews, congrats to all. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

Thanks Lag Shot and GolfWRX for the opportunity!

I received mine over the weekend and unfortunately, I was so excited to get this unwrapped that I did not take any photos – totally forgot.  I am sorry for that but I will say this club was shipped well protected and includes the documentation and directions on how to use this practice tool.  The club itself appears to be very well built with a nice grip, VERY whippy shaft and black 7 iron head.  

Before we dove into the documentation (Who reads instructions?); we had to swing it a few times to give it the “waggle” test and I will say this shaft is flexible.   I never owned the orange whip or GeoForce but have swung the orange whip at the range that my buddy has.   If I recall correctly, this 7 iron is heavier than the orange whip (again from memory and feel).    Now, first reaction with the practice swings – I definitely feel the whip and lag in this club when swinging it and you can feel a difference with good swings (in control swings) vs. out of control (Quick Tempo).   

About Me:

Before I dive into this club a little about myself (and son).   I have been playing golf for 20+ years with minimal lessons – basically self-taught and currently playing to a 3.4 handicap.    I do not have the common perfect swing but have it under control and hit it consistent enough to get around the course.   Now, my bad areas that I am aware of - I will get a very quick tempo during the round which can create havoc and I will start to see the left side of the golf course.     My son on the other hand is 14 years old, had proper lessons since 9 years old and has more of the “normal” swing with a very consistent ball flight and trajectory with all clubs.   He has the same swing over and over no matter the shot or time in the round.    

Understanding the Concept:

So, before we headed to the range, we sat down and followed all instructions which lead us to watching the videos.    We watched the videos to get the concept and did some slow-mo swings using the club just to get the proper feeling.  The motorcycle move, the transition, feel the lag, etc.  I am big on crawl, walk, and run concept type of guy so I wanted to take this slow vs. just run out there and beat balls to watch what happens.   I did not need to rush this to do it wrong vs. maybe this will help me or my son.   My son on the other hand wants to hit it and figure it out.   He lost that battle with me and we both got the concept and understanding before we headed to the range.  

Range Time:

We hit several balls with our clubs to warm up and my son wanted to hit this club real bad.   He understood the concept and I will say that he came out of the gates with nice high 7 iron shots.  Not as far as his normal club but had ZERO problems with the lag, transition and hitting the ball squarely on the face of the club.   I was surprised and thought immediately this thing is a gimmick.   Well, I proved the gimmick thing wrong ASAP.    My first 5 swings the ball was off the toe and hit high weak shots to the right.  I recalled the video highlights and focused on what I would refer to a late lag and then release.   Honestly, it felt like I was hitting the balls into the ground but really wasn’t but just a different feel from my homemade swing.   It took me 30-40 balls to really figure this out all the time my son just laughing at me.    I would hit 5-10 balls, take a break and he would grab the club and he continued to hit shot after shot with it with no problem.   It was amazing to see the difference in results but then again his swing is built from ground up and my swing is a day to day wondering concept.   J

After 40 balls I started to figure out the “move” and started to hit some really crisp solid shots dead in middle of the face.   After getting the hang of this – I immediately thought of the one practice club that allows you to hit shots with – Tour Striker.  I have the 7 iron PRO that requires this lag and feeling of hitting down thru the shot.  The only thing missing from that practice tool is the whippy shaft.   I am a good ballstriker with my swing but I can definitely see if you use this consistently, you can create a similar good tempo golf swing with the right lag and crush feeling of the ball.   If you do not make the proper transition or get quick this club will tell you immediately with feel and results of the shot – look for that toe shot that flares high right weak shot.   

After several swings with this club – my first few shots with my normal irons were smothered hooks – horrible shots that scared the h**l out of me but again I kept at it and I did start to hit the penetrating trapped rocket with all my irons.   It was quite impressive to feel that BUT I will also say again it was quite alarming to see the smother hooks come into play – I don’t want that on the course at ALL!!!!!     I will be keeping a close eye on that.  

PRACTICE:

I definitely believe this would be a GREAT tool to use during your practice sessions, before rounds and even used during rounds (noncompetitive rounds of course) to just keep the feeling throughout the swing.    BUT, I would highly reccommend doing the crawl, walk and run concept with this and watch the videos beforehand.  Just do not go out and hit this hoping it is the cure all device (that does not exist).    I am definitely interesting to see if this practice will help me control my sometimes quick transitions that sneak up on me.    I know this is definitely not a tool that will solve all problems ASAP and make you swing like Adam Scott after a year.   Reality is this practice club will help you get the right move and transition to hit more consistent shots that produce the proper distance and direction.  

My son on the other hand already has that move and it was apparent immediately after watching him swing this club.  It was amazing to see and he has a session with his instructor scheduled for later this week and I will bring this along to get his reaction to it.   I will post what I learn from him. 

As you can see from the pics – we hit probably around 100 balls between the two of us and it does not show that at all.  I was hitting all over the face and this club is well made and durable.    Unlike some of our normal everyday black coated clubs where the black wears off rather quickly.    Love the look of the black but hate the wear on them so quick.   

I will continue to post my findings from my practice sessions. Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to any swing analysis tools to validate my swing before and after to see if my numbers drastically changed.   I can only speak of ball flight and feeling that I have after some more practice sessions.  

If you have any questions please post and i will get back to you as soon as i can.    

Thanks again Lag Shot and WRX!

MPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

2 hours ago, getair23 said:

QuiglyDU, I know you can get after it.  I am very interested on hearing how this works with the speed you can generate.  

I've had my eye on this one for a while.  No pressure guys to get the rest of us onboard, j/k.  Looking forward to the reviews, congrats to all. 

Me too. I hope it comes today. I will go straight to the range!! I am hoping this smooths out my transition and help me create more smooth speed. I know Rory has one in his bag. But I am really excited to try this!

BALL; Chrome Soft X

One thing I will recommend right away. Is to go to their website. It has some great info. Plus there are training videos on how to use the product. I watched them all yesterday and there is some great info. 

https://lagshotgolf.com/pages/stop-casting-with-erika

• Like 2

BALL; Chrome Soft X

it’s here!!

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Straight to the range!!

A872ADA5-BFC6-4F4A-9D3D-A6637742D839.jpeg

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Very cool.  I like swinging my Orange Whip for the sensation of smooth lag and it would be fun to try to hit balls with a whippy club to feel the energy build and release.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

First impression after yesterdays range session.. 

1. I really like the feel of swinging this tool. The added weight and super soft shaft is great for feeling the swing. 

2. This is going to take some time. I need to be patient with it. I hit about 40 balls with it. I felt like I was swinging well timed and making solid'ish contact. But not a single ball went straight haha. 

3. After hitting balls with the Lagshot, I tried to hit balls with my normal 7 iron. Woah, what a weird transition. I started hooking it completely off the planet. It felt very odd and light and I could not make solid contact. Makes sense after so many swings with the lag, but does create a few initial concerns. No judgement yet and I will keep at it and see how it goes. 

4. This should be further to the top to make sense but oh well. it is well build and there are zero construction concerns. 

5. This training aid needs time to develop a true review and honest feedback. I will keep at it for a few weeks and see what happens. I will continue to post here for everyone to see. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Placeholder post:  It has gone to the range but want to give it tomorrow before giving the full write up!

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I would like to thank GolfWRX and Lag Shot Golf for the opportunity to test the Lag Shot iron.  I was not familiar with this product, nor had heard of it before GolfWRX's posting.  I did go to the Lag Shot website (lagshotgolf.com) and watched their videos, which were very informative.  It also peaked my curiosity.  A little about me and my game.  I am in my mid 40s and playing for 35+ years.  I currently carry a 3.6 handicap, but my game has been on the decline for the past couple of year.  I am fighting a few bad habits and an elbow issue, but am determined to work through it.  My driver swing speed has dropped to about 112 mph, which is mostly a result of age.  My transition can get a little quick at the top, but normally have no issue create lag in the golf swing.  My iron play is the strongest part of my game, especially mid to long irons.

The Lag Shot arrived on Oct 9th and have been testing for the past week.  The first thing that jumps out is the bright blue shaft.  The head has a classic cavity back look.  The black and blue colors really pop.  The grip is on the larger side, but seems of good quality.  The grip pattern has a traction feel without the harshness of a cord grip and could be a great grip option on normal clubs.  As soon as I picked it up, I quickly noticed how flexible the shaft was.  It has the look of rubber or wet noddle.  Wobble, wobble, wobble.  It definitely had be wondering how difficult this club would be to hit the ball consistently or at least hit it.

IMG_20211009_144753642.jpg.cbdfff8dcd6a55c53bfe041a1c4c13a8.jpg

IMG_20211009_144757704.jpg.de076e98825ad59a6693dbdebe71af85.jpg

IMG_20211009_144801202_MP.jpg.4e0d98a0180669808dd427dc54f298d1.jpg

The club arrived on Saturday, but only had time to unpack and take pics.  Sunday and Monday had rounds scheduled out of town, but did take the club along.  I did not hit balls before either round, but used the Lag Shot for a warm up.  Between the feel of the head and the whippy shaft, it did helpped me get loose.  It didn't take long to find a smooth rhythm and get the body moving properly before hitting the opening tee shot.  A friend uses a weighted club.  I never cared for it.  It reminds me of using a donut or weighted stick in baseball.  That might work in baseball to speed up the hands, but never thought it was good for golf.  This focuses more on rhythm than swing.

After getting back, I took the club to the range to hit some balls still unsure how difficult this might be.  I did not hit any of my clubs before.  I used only the Lag Shot for a warm up and then struck my first ball.  I hit it, but left it out to the right.  As I progressed through the bucket, I was surprised how easy it was to hit the ball, but not straight.  The majority were about 15-20 yards right of my target.  As I got more comfortable, ball flight improved, but was still out to the right.  Any swing with a quick transition or faster swing speed resulted is in a lower, blade type impact.  A normal 7 iron yardage for me is right around 170 yards, but these were closer to 135.  I was hitting range balls off grass, in a heavier air with slight breeze in.  I have no issue with the shorter distances for a training club.  Training clubs are more about swing than distance anyway.  I do like the idea it could be used in a smaller area.  One thing I had to be careful with was becoming too focused on hitting it straight or with my normal draw.  I was able to achieve this, but it required a manipulation that would never work with my irons.  After hitting about 50 balls, I pulled out my normal 7 iron.  I did notice a rhythm that mirrored what I was feeling with the Lag Shot.  However, what was needed to hit the Lag Shot straight was no where near what I do with my normal irons.  I experienced the same results over a few more sessions, so I reached out to a couple buddies.  Their handicaps ranged from a +3 to 10 and a PGA Pro.  I wanted to get their thoughts and see their results.  It became quite obvious players with a quicker transition or high swing speed struggled to hit it straight.  Out to the right was the norm.  Quick transitions had a lower ball flight as well, which makes sense as the club head would be lagging further behind.  Most wished the club head was a little heavier to create more feel of a lag in the swing. 

Here are my thoughts so far.  The Lag Shot is an interesting concept that does suit a purpose.  It seems like a cross between the Medicus and the Orange Whip.  The Orange Whip is a great warm up tool, but you can't hit balls with it.  The Medicus is all mechanical and does not apply to every player.  Several PGA Tour players, Jon Rahm for sure, would never do well with it because of a quicker transition.  That does not mean he has a swing issue.  Hands down the Lag Shot is a great warm up club.  It is a great trainer for rhythm and timing, especially during the winter months.  I question if stronger players or players who already create sufficient lag will benefit using it as a range club.  I can see this being very useful for players who cast, slide or have an over the top move.  I question if adding a weight port would allow for an adjustment of the whip action and be more beneficial.  Like any training aid, you need to be sure it works for you and the areas you need to improvement. I will continue to experiment with the Lag Shot and post more updates.  I plan to continue using as a warm up club and swing when the weather is not cooperative.  I will also have some players with slower swing speeds and a few beginners give this a try as well.  Thanks again GolfWRX and Lag Shot Golf. 

More too come.........    

• Like 1

I use the lag shot to warm up as I did with the Orange Whip before that. The first 2-3 shots with a regular club after using the lag shot are always my best. But then after a couple shots I lose the feeling. If it was legal to use it during my rounds before each shot I would be a scratch golfer. Anyone have any ideas how I can “engrain” that feeing of effortless power/lag that the lag shot creates? 

Excellent reviews from the testers so far. Thanks all for the thorough write-ups. 

I bought the Lag Golf 7 iron when they first came out. My experience mirrors the testers. I have a fast tempo, and struggled with good contact / straight shots. Full disclosure, I also watched all the vids before putting a swing on the trainer. 

Applying my usual tempo, i hit some real stinkers. Slow that tempo down, smooth that transition, and I can hit some pretty shots.  For someone who hits a draw anyway, moving from the Lag Golf to my 7 iron usually produces some big left balls until “normal” clicks back in. 

The tester results adds to my faith in WRX reviews. I swear, some of you could have written my review of the Lag Golf trainer. 

For someone with tempo challenges and particularly struggles with a weak slice, this trainer is a gift. Follow the instructions, and it should put you into a soft draw. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

1 hour ago, fixurpitch said:

Excellent reviews from the testers so far. Thanks all for the thorough write-ups. 

I bought the Lag Golf 7 iron when they first came out. My experience mirrors the testers. I have a fast tempo, and struggled with good contact / straight shots. Full disclosure, I also watched all the vids before putting a swing on the trainer. 

Applying my usual tempo, i hit some real stinkers. Slow that tempo down, smooth that transition, and I can hit some pretty shots.  For someone who hits a draw anyway, moving from the Lag Golf to my 7 iron usually produces some big left balls until “normal” clicks back in. 

The tester results adds to my faith in WRX reviews. I swear, some of you could have written my review of the Lag Golf trainer. 

For someone with tempo challenges and particularly struggles with a weak slice, this trainer is a gift. Follow the instructions, and it should put you into a soft draw. 

Thanks fixurpitch for the comment.  I think most on here appreciate the opportunity to do testing and take it seriously.  I put on more stock in the opinions and feedback from the people on here vs websites/publications that reply on advertising dollars from the products they review.  I have reached out to several members on here for their thoughts and most are responsive, knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

• Like 2

This sounds a lot like the whippy tempomaster.  I have a whippy 5 iron and my experience with it sounds similar to what is described by the testers of the lag shot product.  When I gave the whippy to someone with a poor swing the result was always a weak slice.  If I gave it to a good player they would quickly figure out how to hit it well.  The pro at my course hit my whippy dead straight about 150 yards the first time that he tried it.  Here is a video on the whippy tempo master:

• Thanks 1

I would like to say thank you to Lag Shot and GolfWRX for this opportunity, it is always a pleasure.

I received the item over a week ago, and the package came with directions to navigate to the site hosting the instructional videos.  As directed I watched all the videos prior to taking a single swing with the 7-iron.  The videos were satisfactory for conveying the message, but I do wish there were more drills in the library.  

First Impressions

-  Grip seems midsized, not good or bad, just an observation

-  Club is heavy, but not as heavy other training aids designed to be so

-  Shaft is whippy, more so than an orange whip

-  Blue shaft is attention grabbing

-  Good looking product that feels well made

Range Sessions

I struggled mightily, no way to sugar coat it.  I did what the videos told me to do, whether it was point location at the top of the backswing, weight shift or down swing and the results were extremely consistent... shank shank shank.  I was shanking the 7-iron on 80% of the swings with the other 20% major slices.  I do not move the ball from left to right on the course, even when I try that is not in the cards for me.  I went to the range multiple times, so this was not a one off occurrence for me unfortunately.  Each time I set the Lag Shot back into the bag I preceded to shank pitching wedges, 7 irons, or massively snap hook a driver.  I will not give up on this training aid and happily report back if things change but I would be letting down my fellow WRXers if I didn't report what happened to ME.  I think this aid can become useful for me in time as it does magnify some flaws in my swing, but I would suggest nobody use it for the first time with an event you care about coming up.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

17 hours ago, Stetson said:

I would like to say thank you to Lag Shot and GolfWRX for this opportunity, it is always a pleasure.

I received the item over a week ago, and the package came with directions to navigate to the site hosting the instructional videos.  As directed I watched all the videos prior to taking a single swing with the 7-iron.  The videos were satisfactory for conveying the message, but I do wish there were more drills in the library.  

First Impressions

-  Grip seems midsized, not good or bad, just an observation

-  Club is heavy, but not as heavy other training aids designed to be so

-  Shaft is whippy, more so than an orange whip

-  Blue shaft is attention grabbing

-  Good looking product that feels well made

Range Sessions

I struggled mightily, no way to sugar coat it.  I did what the videos told me to do, whether it was point location at the top of the backswing, weight shift or down swing and the results were extremely consistent... shank shank shank.  I was shanking the 7-iron on 80% of the swings with the other 20% major slices.  I do not move the ball from left to right on the course, even when I try that is not in the cards for me.  I went to the range multiple times, so this was not a one off occurrence for me unfortunately.  Each time I set the Lag Shot back into the bag I preceded to shank pitching wedges, 7 irons, or massively snap hook a driver.  I will not give up on this training aid and happily report back if things change but I would be letting down my fellow WRXers if I didn't report what happened to ME.  I think this aid can become useful for me in time as it does magnify some flaws in my swing, but I would suggest nobody use it for the first time with an event you care about coming up.

Stetson, 

Thank you for the feedback. One thing that we recommend to everyone to make shadow swings as much as possible to gain the feel of the club (if you haven't already). You are not the first person to come to us with comments like yours. If you still are having issues, let's chat and maybe we can get a swing video session set up and figure out what's going on. Appreciate your honesty in your review!

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, MPG said:

Thanks Lag Shot and GolfWRX for the opportunity!

I received mine over the weekend and unfortunately, I was so excited to get this unwrapped that I did not take any photos – totally forgot.  I am sorry for that but I will say this club was shipped well protected and includes the documentation and directions on how to use this practice tool.  The club itself appears to be very well built with a nice grip, VERY whippy shaft and black 7 iron head.  

Before we dove into the documentation (Who reads instructions?); we had to swing it a few times to give it the “waggle” test and I will say this shaft is flexible.   I never owned the orange whip or GeoForce but have swung the orange whip at the range that my buddy has.   If I recall correctly, this 7 iron is heavier than the orange whip (again from memory and feel).    Now, first reaction with the practice swings – I definitely feel the whip and lag in this club when swinging it and you can feel a difference with good swings (in control swings) vs. out of control (Quick Tempo).   

About Me:

Before I dive into this club a little about myself (and son).   I have been playing golf for 20+ years with minimal lessons – basically self-taught and currently playing to a 3.4 handicap.    I do not have the common perfect swing but have it under control and hit it consistent enough to get around the course.   Now, my bad areas that I am aware of - I will get a very quick tempo during the round which can create havoc and I will start to see the left side of the golf course.     My son on the other hand is 14 years old, had proper lessons since 9 years old and has more of the “normal” swing with a very consistent ball flight and trajectory with all clubs.   He has the same swing over and over no matter the shot or time in the round.    

Understanding the Concept:

So, before we headed to the range, we sat down and followed all instructions which lead us to watching the videos.    We watched the videos to get the concept and did some slow-mo swings using the club just to get the proper feeling.  The motorcycle move, the transition, feel the lag, etc.  I am big on crawl, walk, and run concept type of guy so I wanted to take this slow vs. just run out there and beat balls to watch what happens.   I did not need to rush this to do it wrong vs. maybe this will help me or my son.   My son on the other hand wants to hit it and figure it out.   He lost that battle with me and we both got the concept and understanding before we headed to the range.  

Range Time:

We hit several balls with our clubs to warm up and my son wanted to hit this club real bad.   He understood the concept and I will say that he came out of the gates with nice high 7 iron shots.  Not as far as his normal club but had ZERO problems with the lag, transition and hitting the ball squarely on the face of the club.   I was surprised and thought immediately this thing is a gimmick.   Well, I proved the gimmick thing wrong ASAP.    My first 5 swings the ball was off the toe and hit high weak shots to the right.  I recalled the video highlights and focused on what I would refer to a late lag and then release.   Honestly, it felt like I was hitting the balls into the ground but really wasn’t but just a different feel from my homemade swing.   It took me 30-40 balls to really figure this out all the time my son just laughing at me.    I would hit 5-10 balls, take a break and he would grab the club and he continued to hit shot after shot with it with no problem.   It was amazing to see the difference in results but then again his swing is built from ground up and my swing is a day to day wondering concept.   J

After 40 balls I started to figure out the “move” and started to hit some really crisp solid shots dead in middle of the face.   After getting the hang of this – I immediately thought of the one practice club that allows you to hit shots with – Tour Striker.  I have the 7 iron PRO that requires this lag and feeling of hitting down thru the shot.  The only thing missing from that practice tool is the whippy shaft.   I am a good ballstriker with my swing but I can definitely see if you use this consistently, you can create a similar good tempo golf swing with the right lag and crush feeling of the ball.   If you do not make the proper transition or get quick this club will tell you immediately with feel and results of the shot – look for that toe shot that flares high right weak shot.   

After several swings with this club – my first few shots with my normal irons were smothered hooks – horrible shots that scared the h**l out of me but again I kept at it and I did start to hit the penetrating trapped rocket with all my irons.   It was quite impressive to feel that BUT I will also say again it was quite alarming to see the smother hooks come into play – I don’t want that on the course at ALL!!!!!     I will be keeping a close eye on that.  

PRACTICE:

I definitely believe this would be a GREAT tool to use during your practice sessions, before rounds and even used during rounds (noncompetitive rounds of course) to just keep the feeling throughout the swing.    BUT, I would highly reccommend doing the crawl, walk and run concept with this and watch the videos beforehand.  Just do not go out and hit this hoping it is the cure all device (that does not exist).    I am definitely interesting to see if this practice will help me control my sometimes quick transitions that sneak up on me.    I know this is definitely not a tool that will solve all problems ASAP and make you swing like Adam Scott after a year.   Reality is this practice club will help you get the right move and transition to hit more consistent shots that produce the proper distance and direction.  

My son on the other hand already has that move and it was apparent immediately after watching him swing this club.  It was amazing to see and he has a session with his instructor scheduled for later this week and I will bring this along to get his reaction to it.   I will post what I learn from him. 

As you can see from the pics – we hit probably around 100 balls between the two of us and it does not show that at all.  I was hitting all over the face and this club is well made and durable.    Unlike some of our normal everyday black coated clubs where the black wears off rather quickly.    Love the look of the black but hate the wear on them so quick.   

I will continue to post my findings from my practice sessions. Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to any swing analysis tools to validate my swing before and after to see if my numbers drastically changed.   I can only speak of ball flight and feeling that I have after some more practice sessions.  

If you have any questions please post and i will get back to you as soon as i can.    

Thanks again Lag Shot and WRX!

MPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

Your comments gave a us a good laugh! Glad to hear you and your son were able to get out together and test the product. Interested to hear more as it sounds like you are starting to figure it out. Thanks again for volunteering to be a part of this!

Update #2:

We hit the range Friday evening and put this thing through a long range test before my son's lesson and talk with his instructor.   

For me, it takes me at least 15-20 shots before I can start to hit this club with any consistency.   My tempo (which i already know about) gets very quick, jerky and does create inconsistent shots on the course.    So, I firmly believe this would help me smooth out my swing and transition over time.     My son on the other hand again hit this immediately with zero problems but his swing NEVER changes from driver to wedges.  I brought my tour striker to the range as well and I will say I was hitting the tour striker 7 iron great after using the LagShot.   I dont like to use multiple things but I get the same "lag" feel when using that club.   

So, we did talk to his instructor (Matt) about this practice club.   He tried it out as well and struggled for 10-15 shots before he got the swing down.  I definitely explained the concept to him and it made sense.    He watched my son hit shots with it and told him to continue to use this since it really does help do the proper transition, tempo and body rotation.   It will only help us during our practice sessions.  

We used this before our round on Sunday AM.    I will say it only took 10 shots before i was hitting the ball straight (all before that were high right shots).    Once we hit the course I was striping the ball on front nine but started to go off the rails.   My swing felt out of sync so I pulled this club out and took some smooth swings to get back on track and it did work.   I know you are not allowed to do this in competitions but definitely will become a norm for practice rounds / sessions.   

This is NOT a cure all practice club but requires dedication and persistence. I realize this could be difficult for us golfers since we all want instant gratification.     I will definitely continue to keep using this and lets see what comes from 1-2 months of consistent use.    Repeat and Rinse....

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

1 hour ago, MPG said:

Update #2:

We used this before our round on Sunday AM.    I will say it only took 10 shots before i was hitting the ball straight (all before that were high right shots).    Once we hit the course I was striping the ball on front nine but started to go off the rails.   My swing felt out of sync so I pulled this club out and took some smooth swings to get back on track and it did work.   I know you are not allowed to do this in competitions but definitely will become a norm for practice rounds / sessions.   

This is NOT a cure all practice club but requires dedication and persistence. I realize this could be difficult for us golfers since we all want instant gratification.     I will definitely continue to keep using this and lets see what comes from 1-2 months of consistent use.    Repeat and Rinse....

This club is not legal for play?  I am curious as to why?

7 minutes ago, LagShotGolf said:

I believe he is referencing the use of a training aid mid round, which is a penalty. 

If it is a legal club then it is not a training aid and as long as it is one of the 14 clubs then it is perfectly fine to swing it anytime during the round.  Is the club legal to use during play?

7 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

If it is a legal club then it is not a training aid and as long as it is one of the 14 clubs then it is perfectly fine to swing it anytime during the round.  Is the club legal to use during play?

The Lag Shot has not been approved by the USGA as a conforming club at this time. We do not recommend anyone using the Lag Shot for tournament rounds of golf. The Lag Shot is a training aid. 

6 minutes ago, LagShotGolf said:

The Lag Shot has not been approved by the USGA as a conforming club at this time. We do not recommend anyone using the Lag Shot for tournament rounds of golf. The Lag Shot is a training aid. 

Interesting…Are you guys “seeking” approval for the lag shot as a conforming club?  This would slow down my round but it would be a huge game changer for me and I assume others if they could swing this before each shot…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asizzle10 said:

Interesting…Are you guys “seeking” approval for the lag shot as a conforming club?  This would slow down my round but it would be a huge game changer for me and I assume others if they could swing this before each shot…

I don't think it's something that is on our immediate radar, nor do I think that the USGA would ever want to go down that path. But a wise man once told me, never say never...

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The whippy tempomaster is approved by the USGA for play.  I am not sure why this product would not meet the standard? 

A few years ago I took lessons from a pro who sometimes played with a full bag of whippy clubs.  He said that he got some strange looks on the first tee from average golfers when he sometimes played as a single.  Once he started making pars and birdies they got over it.  Maybe some signed up for lessons...