2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Difference between TT Dynamic Gold x100 Tour Issue vs. NON Tour Issue shafts?

golfer55082

+/- 2 grams is the weight of 2 small paper clips or one wrap of grip tape - averaged over the length of the shaft. 

There's no way you're going to feel the difference on a ~400g club. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

10 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I know you're just trying to be funny - but I'm bored so I figured why not address this kind of commonly held but misguided argument.  Some readers might start to actually believe it's a valid point.

1) We feel the weight of the club through our hands - specifically the palms and fingers - which just happen to be one of the places on our body with a very high degree of sensory perception.  The wrist were the watch sits, is not really all that sensitive.   And the muscles that control our arm/wrist motion are much bigger and less sensitive than the ones that are used to hold the club.

2) People frequently confuse static weight with dynamic weight.  The motion and effort to accelerate the club significantly amplifies the resistance that we feel from the club well above what it might be just holding it still in our hands.

So take that watch off your wrist and tape it to the shaft instead.  Then you're much more likely to notice the difference.   The further down the shaft you tape it, the greater the effect of a small weight change can be on the feel.

Now am I saying that a few grams difference in the TI vs non-TI is going to make a difference to most ams?  No, not at all.   For some it might only take 5 gm's.  For others it might take 10 gm or more of shaft weight before it's noticeable.  Everyone has to find their own level of sensitivity.

I can't golf wearing a watch and I stopped using an interlock grip when I started wearing a wedding ring.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Well you might want to weigh those tour issue shafts. I have two Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115 wedge shafts, one weighs 115 grams and one weighs 113.7 grams.

• Like 1

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

25 minutes ago, shart6 said:

Well you might want to weigh those tour issue shafts. I have two Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115 wedge shafts, one weighs 115 grams and one weighs 113.7 grams.

I never heard of that the 115 wedge had a TOUR ISSUE option at all, and the weight you say they are is within the GOLD standard of plus minus 1.5 grams

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/steel-iron-shafts/dynamic-gold-steel-shafts.html

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

30 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

I never heard of that the 115 wedge had a TOUR ISSUE option at all, and the weight you say they are is within the GOLD standard of plus minus 1.5 grams

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/steel-iron-shafts/dynamic-gold-steel-shafts.html

But one isn't tour issue specs +- .5 grams. I see them occasionally they are black with a strange green tour issue label. 

I weight sorted my current set of Dynalite Gold iron shafts to -.5 +.6 grams far better than I can tell the difference. I built as good a set spec wise as a could.

Kenneth Smith taught me weight sorting when I was a teenager in the 70s before Dynamic Gold. It wasn't unkown.

• Like 2

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Thanks Howard,

Your comments much appreciated re Gold Standard +-1.5gram and 0.89 gram 1cpm,1 foot higher Apex,Soft Step=4CPM and Club2Club 6.35CPM

Time to PIN your comment for Reference👍

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

4 hours ago, geochitown said:

the tighter weight tolerance isn't a difference in the manufacturing of the shafts, it's a tighter tolerance achieved by sorting the produced X100 shafts by weight.

This is the answer. It cost money to sort (weigh) each shaft. Let us say they make 1000 shafts and want 300 Gold. Once they get the 300 Gold, many of the rest could be as tight a tolerance but one never knows as they will not be weighed.

21 hours ago, JCAG said:

This is the answer. It cost money to sort (weigh) each shaft. Let us say they make 1000 shafts and want 300 Gold. Once they get the 300 Gold, many of the rest could be as tight a tolerance but one never knows as they will not be weighed.

they are all gold or TI now no standard  DYnamics,  so all must be weight sorted

i used to like the R500s and S100s  along time ago

My recent experience with Dynamic Gold X100's was NOT the tolerance of +/- 1.5 grams...  I put a set of X100's in my i210's SS 1x and measured the raw weights before trimming...  below are are the raw weights and measurements:

40 - 128

39 1/2 - 128

39 1/16 - 130

38 9/16 - 124

38 1/16 - 131

37 9/16 - 131

37 1/16 - 130

37 1/16 - 130

I ordered another 6 iron shaft and the weight of that shaft was 126...  my scale does not measure in tenths so the weights are not as precise...  I could definitely feel a difference with the 7 iron...  remember these are soft stepped.

I love the feel of the Dynamic Gold but have come to the conclusion that I need to adapt to a lighter shaft if I want to continue to play and practice at my current level...  After playing several days in a row, which includes 30 - 40 balls on the range before the round, I feel beat up and exhausted around the 13th - 14th hole.

3 hours ago, TonyDAnnunzio said:

My recent experience with Dynamic Gold X100's was NOT the tolerance of +/- 1.5 grams...  I put a set of X100's in my i210's SS 1x and measured the raw weights before trimming...  below are are the raw weights and measurements:

40 - 128

39 1/2 - 128

39 1/16 - 130

38 9/16 - 124

38 1/16 - 131

37 9/16 - 131

37 1/16 - 130

37 1/16 - 130

I ordered another 6 iron shaft and the weight of that shaft was 126...  my scale does not measure in tenths so the weights are not as precise...  I could definitely feel a difference with the 7 iron...  remember these are soft stepped.

I love the feel of the Dynamic Gold but have come to the conclusion that I need to adapt to a lighter shaft if I want to continue to play and practice at my current level...  After playing several days in a row, which includes 30 - 40 balls on the range before the round, I feel beat up and exhausted around the 13th - 14th hole.

That #6 iron shaft is a flyer and should have been returned.
The others seems fine since you dont have decimals on your scale, so adjusted for production tolerance of 1/16 on length, its no indication that they are outside of the GOLD standard of plus minus 1.5 grams from 130.

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

11 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

That #6 iron shaft is a flyer and should have been returned.
The others seems fine since you dont have decimals on your scale, so adjusted for production tolerance of 1/16 on length, its no indication that they are outside of the GOLD standard of plus minus 1.5 grams from 130.

I would have Howard but I was in a "pinch" and needed to get the set back together...  I ordered another 6 iron shaft and it came in at 126 grams...  

Oh well...  I did, however, order a more precise scale.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 12:48 PM, Adam C said:

My golf game also went downhill when I started wearing a wedding ring.

Golf joke!

My golf game improved after putting on my wedding ring.

That I didn't start playing golf until 3½ years after marrying Wife 2.0 is, I'm certain, purely coincidental...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Haha 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 10/16/2021 at 2:29 PM, TonyDAnnunzio said:

I would have Howard but I was in a "pinch" and needed to get the set back together...  I ordered another 6 iron shaft and it came in at 126 grams...  

Oh well...  I did, however, order a more precise scale.

The 6 iron shaft was a "flyer". Remember that plus or minus 1.5 is a swing of 3 so from 128 to 131 is within plus or minus 1.5.

Not convinced better golfers can tell the difference between 'tour issue' and non tour shafts.  I am a pretty good player and can't actually tell swinging each.  Tour issue is more stringent tolerances, different specs, exact weight, etc.  My shafts are the same as those used on tour, only the flex is different.

When I played TT X100, 'Tour issue' X100 didn't exist.  Guess that tells ya how old I am.  😛

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, geochitown said:

the tighter weight tolerance isn't a difference in the manufacturing of the shafts, it's a tighter tolerance achieved by sorting the produced X100 shafts by weight.

I’m curious—and someone with manufacturing experience could chime in—whether the existence of Tour Issue shafts prevents the standard DG from ever being tight on spec.

If they are sorted after manufacturing and shafts within +/- 0.5g go into the DGTI bin and those within +/- 1.5g go into the standard DG bin, then would it stand to reason that a standard DG shaft would also never be within 0.5g of the actual spec, and that standard DG shafts more accurately will always be 0.5-1.5g lighter or heavier?

56 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I’m curious—and someone with manufacturing experience could chime in—whether the existence of Tour Issue shafts prevents the standard DG from ever being tight on spec.

If they are sorted after manufacturing and shafts within +/- 0.5g go into the DGTI bin and those within +/- 1.5g go into the standard DG bin, then would it stand to reason that a standard DG shaft would also never be within 0.5g of the actual spec, and that standard DG shafts more accurately will always be 0.5-1.5g lighter or heavier?

My guess is that it depends on the order bank.  If there is a NEED for TI shafts, the production folks would weight sort to the tighter range.  If there aren't any orders, then why waste the extra time/labor?  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

2 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

Nope.  All S300's and X100's weigh 129-131g with lots of them at 129.5-130.5.

The "tour issue" shaft is quite a clever money maker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

My guess is that it depends on the order bank.  If there is a NEED for TI shafts, the production folks would weight sort to the tighter range.  If there aren't any orders, then why waste the extra time/labor?  

This makes the most sense to me. Not all shafts will be sorted to DGTI. But as they are needed they will be pulled from production and sorted into tighter tolerances. But that doesn't inherently mean that ALL shafts that are within 0.5g of spec are DGTI only.