Why Tiger has had so many surgeries

playit

18 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Ha! Yeah, also those workouts half way through practice where you do burpeees in the dirt! And leg lifts on your back with the sweat pooling and burning in your eyes as you punch your stomach!

LOL 

The trainer we used for physical fitness prep for in-country was an agency SERE instructor.  He used to say pain is your friend.  The purpose was in case of capture and torture.  Now that I am much older, and deal with osteoarthritis pain all the time, he did a good job of brainwashing.  My pain threshold is quite high.  My wife and MD buddy's think I am nutso, they're probably close to right.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Cuz he was injured a ton. Kidding. His back was a ticking time bomb with the Foley swing. He originally injured the back in 2012 I believe. Wasn't much of a problem until the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. He had surgery in 2014, but was back on tour within 3 months. He injured the back again in 2015 and played like crap the entire season. Sat out all of 2016 and 2017 (had the fusion sometime in 2017). 

I truly believe if he just sat out all of 2014 after the first surgery and got rid of the Foley swing he wouldn't have needed to keep having surgery after surgery. Could you imagine a healthy Tiger Woods in 2015-17 with that 2018-19 swing. 

3 hours ago, miamistomp said:

I guess Tiger never bothered to learn to run correctly-30 miles per week is nothing unless it was all hills or flat out sprints

I know lots of injury free lifetime runners

I am almost 70 , competed in running events from age 13 until past 40

Still can run easily without injury 50 miles per week running and  walking golf course ( 6'1' 178 lbs) 

My current streak is 8 months straight of minimum 6 miles per day

Are those runners hitting balls for 8 hours / day and swinging 120+ in addition to the rest of his training / commitments? If we look at any one thing in isolation, anyone whom specializes in that particular thing can thrive without taking a heavy toll. That kind of should be self evident. 

DECEMBER 1994 - TUMOR, SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL- Coming off what is believed to be the biggest comeback victory in U.S. Amateur history in August, Woods, 18, has surgery to remove two benign tumors and scar tissue from his left knee.

DEC. 13, 2002 - CYST REMOVAL, FLUID DRAIN - Who could forget Woods' standout 2002 season, with two major victories at the Masters and U.S. Open. It wasn't until later that year when the 26-year-old underwent surgery to remove a benign cyst from his left knee and had fluid drained from around one of his ligaments. Did we mention he came back right after the surgery to win the Buick Invitational in 2003?

SEPT. 25, 2006 - SHOULDER - Some might argue that 2006 was Woods' best year, with eight PGA Tour wins, two majors and 10 top-5s in 15 starts. After winning five consecutive tournaments in the summer, Woods suffered an injured muscle in his left shoulder blade. Nonetheless, Woods fought through the pain and won the World Golf Championships-American Express with a total of 23 under.

JULY 23, 2007 - RUPTURED ACL - After falling short of breaking the top 10 at the Open Championship, Woods, 31, ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while running at home. Deciding against surgery, Woods pushed through to win five of his next six events.

APRIL 15, 2008 - KNEE SURGERY - Just two days after finishing second at the Masters, Woods had arthroscopic knee surgery to clean out cartilage. With almost two months of recovery under his belt, Woods returned to the U.S. Open and clinched another major victory.

JUNE 24, 2008 - ACL REPAIR - One week after winning the U.S. Open, Woods underwent reconstructive surgery on the damaged ACL and missed the remainder of the 2008 season. Cutting his season short by almost five months, Woods announced that he also suffered a double stress fracture in his left tibia while preparing for the U.S. Open.

DECEMBER 2008 - TORN ACHILLES TENDON - It wasn't until the 2010 Masters that Woods revealed he tore his right Achilles tendon in 2008 (an injury that resurfaced several times in 2009), further explaining why Woods ended his season after winning the U.S. Open. Even with all of his many ailments that year, Woods managed to stay on top of the Official World Golf Ranking.

MAY 9, 2010 - NECK INJURY - Less than a year after Woods' infamous SUV crash, followed by reports of multiple extramarital affairs, Woods struggled to place on tour. During the final round of the Players Championship, Woods withdrew because of a neck injury. Later, an MRI revealed that Woods had an inflamed facet joint in his neck.

APRIL 26, 2011 - MCL SPRAIN, ACHILLES TENDON STRAIN - In the third round of the Masters, Woods suffered a Grade 1 mild MCL sprain to his left knee and mild strain to his left Achilles tendon after hitting a difficult and awkward second shot from the pine straw on No. 17. Despite the injury, Woods proved his resilience and tied for fourth at the Masters.

MAY 12, 2011 - KNEE, ACHILLES ACT UP - After shooting a 42 on nine holes in the first round at the Players Championship, Woods withdrew because of apparent injuries. "Everything started getting tight," Woods said of his knee, Achilles and calf. As a result of these flare-ups, Woods sat out the next three months until returning to the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in August 2011.

MARCH 11, 2012 - LEFT ACHILLES TENDON - At 36, Woods couldn't seem to escape the years of injuries surrounding his Achilles tendon. The former No. 1 in the world withdrew from the final round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship because of his injured Achilles tendon.

MARCH 2, 2014 - BACK ISSUES - Woods, 38, withdrew from the final round of the Honda Classic because of back issues. This injury would mark the beginning of Woods' challenging year of back problems and failed attempts to break the top 25 in any tournament.

MARCH 18, 2014 - BACK SPASMS - No one has dominated the Official World Golf Rankings the way Woods has, which is especially remarkable given his career has been pervaded by injuries. Despite Woods' absence from the Arnold Palmer Invitational in 2014 because of lingering back pain, he remained the No. 1 golfer in the world.

APRIL 1, 2014 - BACK SURGERY - For several months, Woods endured back pain and missed multiple PGA Tour events. Woods announced he would miss the Masters, after undergoing a microdiscectomy for a pinched nerve. Three months later, Woods returned to tournament play at the Quicken Loans National, where he missed the cut.

SEPT. 16, 2015 - BACK SURGERY - Struggling to recover from years of back injuries and surgeries, Woods missed the cut in three of the four majors in 2015. After almost finding his footing at the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational and the PGA Championship, Woods underwent a second microdiscectomy surgery with the hopes of returning in "early 2016."

OCT. 28, 2015 - BACK PROCEDURE - About a month after his second back surgery in a year and a half, Woods returned to Dr. Charles Rich, the same neurosurgeon who performed the previous two surgeries, to undergo a follow-up procedure to relieve discomfort in the area.

FEB. 3, 2017 - BACK SPASMS - After multiple back surgeries and treatments, Woods returned to golf in 2017 with the hopes of regaining his dominance. It didn't take long before Woods withdrew from the second round of the Dubai Desert Classic citing back spasms. Although Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, said the problem was unrelated to Woods' nerve issues, Woods would not play another tournament that season.

APRIL 20, 2017 - BACK SURGERY - Is the third time the charm for Woods? At 42, Woods underwent his third back surgery. "I'm optimistic this will relieve my back spasms and pain," Woods said via his website. "When healed, I look forward to getting back to a normal life, playing with my kids, competing in professional golf and living without the pain I've been battling so long."

2021 - BACK SURGERY - In January, Woods undergoes another back surgery, again a microdiscectomy to remove a bone fragment that was pinching a nerve.

FEB 23, 2021 - ALMOST DIED (Wait, that was Patrick Reed.  Never mind.) - On February 23, the SUV Woods is driving rolls over in California. He is trapped inside before being freed by emergency crews who use an ax to get him out of the vehicle. His right leg and ankle are severely broken, requiring emergency surgery. “Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portion of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia,” said Dr. Anish Mahajan, Chief Medical Officer and Interim CEO at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. “Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.”

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

That’s a long list for a golfer. Not to pile on, but he has had at least two close calls that we know of. First one in the summer of 2017 with the pain killers. (The second was the roll over.) I think he knows how lucky he is to still be standing. We’ll see if he is able to be competitive again on the big tour. Hard to count him out!

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Tiger has had a lot of surgeries because he can....it also shows me that he has bought into whatever his surgeon(s) are telling him that they can relieve his pain with the inevitable "...we're just going to go in and clean up old scar tissue..."  which is all good as long as he feels better, but he is rolling the dice every time he goes under the knife...

This last set of surgeries  are not up for debate, it has become a quality of life decision...TW at age 65 may not be something any of us want to witness, even at 50 he may end up being a shell of his former self...I sure hope not...I know in my heart he will never be the super golfer/athlete we once saw but I dont want to see a crippled man on TV trying to play golf

Edited by 3whacker
spelling

14 hours ago, mark m said:

That’s a long list for a golfer. Not to pile on, but he has had at least two close calls that we know of. First one in the summer of 2017 with the pain killers. (The second was the roll over.) I think he knows how lucky he is to still be standing. We’ll see if he is able to be competitive again on the big tour. Hard to count him out!

Ya TW laundry list of surgeries, dope, and car issues more for like rock star,

I have a mansion, forget the price
Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice
I live in hotels, tear out the walls
I have accountants pay for it all

They say I'm crazy but I have a good time
I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime
Life's been good to me so far

My Maseratti does one-eighty-five
I lost my license, now I don't drive
I have a limo, ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

LOL 

The trainer we used for physical fitness prep for in-country was an agency SERE instructor.  He used to say pain is your friend.  The purpose was in case of capture and torture.  Now that I am much older, and deal with osteoarthritis pain all the time, he did a good job of brainwashing.  My pain threshold is quite high.  My wife and MD buddy's think I am nutso, they're probably close to right.

No pain, no pain.  

38 minutes ago, Naptime said:

No pain, no pain.  

As long is it’s muscle. Like for me, the worst pain, and I’m about to suffer it shortly, is the murderous, molten lead under the skin, pain when trying to squeeze an extra pull-up rep. Literally cry out in pain but in a whimpering, almost crying, sort of way. Then it lasts for a minute like your arm is being pumped full of motor oil til it’s going to explode. 

God knows what the neighbors think 🤣

But, as you say, that’s progress ; )

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya TW laundry list of surgeries, dope, and car issues more for like rock star,

I have a mansion, forget the price
Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice
I live in hotels, tear out the walls
I have accountants pay for it all

They say I'm crazy but I have a good time
I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime
Life's been good to me so far

My Maseratti does one-eighty-five
I lost my license, now I don't drive
I have a limo, ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked

It’s funny you mentioned rock star, as I was thinking of Prince and Tom Petty when I wrote it.

Joe - LOL - I have the album! That was played constantly when it came out. I am sure you know these guys as well. Setzer lives around here now (MN)

19A5BF0E-ECBE-4D47-8661-DBAFFA3B8414.jpeg

FFA36552-4588-46D4-8F1B-7D512C92B5C1.jpeg

Edited by mark m
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

28 minutes ago, mark m said:

It’s funny you mentioned rock star, as I was thinking of Prince and Tom Petty when I wrote it.

Joe - LOL - I have the album! That was played constantly when it came out. I am sure you know these guys as well. Setzer lives around here now (MN)

19A5BF0E-ECBE-4D47-8661-DBAFFA3B8414.jpeg

FFA36552-4588-46D4-8F1B-7D512C92B5C1.jpeg

Sure, I remember those dudes. Were they into drugs? Lol

Man, Prince, you know TW really is a cat with 9 lives. He could have gone down the crapper completely hooked on that dope. Then the accident?

He better take it easy man!

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Sure, I remember those dudes. Were they into drugs? Lol

Man, Prince, you know TW really is a cat with 9 lives. He could have gone down the crapper completely hooked on that dope. Then the accident?

He better take it easy man!

Man, the bummer about Prince is it's reported he didn't know he was popping counterfeit Vicodin cut with Fentanyl. 

There're numerous reasons I'm glad my - shall we say - "recreational" days are far behind me - but that's a big one. Super dangerous stuff out there these days. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

As long is it’s muscle. Like for me, the worst pain, and I’m about to suffer it shortly, is the murderous, molten lead under the skin, pain when trying to squeeze an extra pull-up rep. Literally cry out in pain but in a whimpering, almost crying, sort of way. Then it lasts for a minute like your arm is being pumped full of motor oil til it’s going to explode. 

For me it’s leg day. (Which I just got home from) the burn in the quads when ur performing those last couple reps during leg press, squats or lunges…. ugh. I’ve literally thrown up before. Arm day is like an ‘off day’ in comparison for me! 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

For me it’s leg day. (Which I just got home from) the burn in the quads when ur performing those last couple reps during leg press, squats or lunges…. ugh. I’ve literally thrown up before. Arm day is like an ‘off day’ in comparison for me! 😂 

Leg day! I took a permanent vacation from leg day when gyms closed down. Was doing deadlifts and front squats and, yes, nothing compares to wishing for death pain like quad pain.  🤣

Good for you. I’m old… just sticking with these hiit workouts for legs. No real strength training so less power but never felt more balanced and agile since I was a kid. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Wait, does it hurt like molten lead under the skin or like being pumped full of oil?  I'm confused.

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Do some pull-ups and you’ll understand ; )

I do lat pulldowns with 190 lbs.  Does that count?

11 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Wait, does it hurt like molten lead under the skin or like being pumped full of oil?  I'm confused.

Pumped full of molten leaded oil.

PS @bscinstnct only quitters skip leg day 😉

• Like 1

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

28 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

or Burpee pull-ups or Muscle Ups or One Arm pull-ups or Body Levers to Window Wipers..... calisthenics and bar workouts was my thing. 🙂

Lol, I never try muscle ups, my age worry my shoulders will rip off getting over the bar. And I can’t even imagine what burpee pull-ups are.

I have progressed to “archer pull-ups” Both hands on the bar but only use one arm to pull up. This took me back down to 6-10 reps for 4 sets, good strength/muscle building range. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

The injuries are a result of all of the flaws in his swing.

There are no supply chain shortages here of 12 handicaps willing to share their insight to help him, if he'd only listen. You can lead a tiger to water...

Happy Thursday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

27 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Lol, I never try muscle ups, my age worry my shoulders will rip off getting over the bar. And I can’t even imagine what burpee pull-ups are.

I have progressed to “archer pull-ups” Both hands on the bar but only use one arm to pull up. This took me back down to 6-10 reps for 4 sets, good strength/muscle building range. 

Your stamina and strength should increase greatly now because of the (archer pull-ups)  "hit" to your system. Agreed on Muscle ups.. they are now for the young guns.. lol!

But! Bar work, calisthenics and stretching (yoga!!) will keep us all young for as long as our bodies will allow it. 

As far as Tiger?... When you train hard, you play harder. 🙂

• Like 1

Titleist....

3 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

haha, no you don’t

Sure do, brother.  Been lifting for 35 years.  

4 hours ago, playit said:

The list above by ShowMe illustrates just how amazing TW is. Hard to believe he won The Masters in 2019.

He is amazing, but it's come at a price to his body.

21 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Sure do, brother.  Been lifting for 35 years.  

If you don't weigh 190lbs. slap on some weights to hit the target weight and then do some normal pull-ups (palms facing away), bar tapping your chest... can you rip out at least 10?... 🙂

• Like 1

Titleist....

3 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

He is amazing, but it's come at a price to his body.

That's what I mean... that the list you provided is unbelievable, and to come back and win the friggin Masters after all that is unreal.

I, also, fear for his general mobility as he ages but he might surprise us.

1 minute ago, dropkicked said:

If you don't weigh 190lbs. slap on some weights to hit the target weight and then do some normal pull-ups (palms facing away), bar tapping your chest... can you rip out at least 10?... 🙂

I think if he weighs 190 or more, it’s possible he can’t rep unweighted pull-ups. If that’s what you meant.

But if he weights 160 and pulls 190 for reps, he should be able to knock out some good pull-ups and feel the molten lead!

• Like 2