What to prioritize first?

Haroputt

Part of the game to prioritize to score low?   

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the parent and child would need to prioritize their goals. If it was winning Jr tournaments age 14 and under, I would say having a good short game is probably the most valuable as they set the courses short. If it is winning major teen tournaments, it takes a total package player, but really superb accuracy around 165 yards and in is what sets those kids apart.

If it is just you want your kid to have fun playing golf - I would say get them swinging as hard and fast as they can. Using their athleticism to their advantage early is something I wish they would have told me as a Jr golfer. All I ever heard was "Swing easy, swing smooth etc".

Kids who can redline a swing and keep the ball in play, usually have a lot of fun, and gain a lot of attention from other players/parents/coaches etc.

• Like 2

Reading greens is the most important skill. If they can read greens then they will be able to putt.

It also equally important to make sure they have decent swing speed. 

There also the hardest things to acquire in golf and not easily taught

everything else from what I been told can be taught.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

None of the above, prioritize the golf swing fundamentals, grip aim stance posture and takeaway

Then tell the kid to hit the ball as hard as physically possible without losing their balance

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

9 hours ago, rooski said:

None of the above, prioritize the golf swing fundamentals, grip aim stance posture and takeaway

Then tell the kid to hit the ball as hard as physically possible without losing their balance

Agreed.  

There are 3 aspects of the game (full swing, short game, putting) that all have an equal importance.  Age of the junior is also is going to dictate what the priorities are.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

C'mon guys if you aren't putting super speed sticks in their hands at age 6 and making em hit 1000 balls a day by age 7 you are too late and you should just relax and let em go to the muni once a week. No need to even try!

All joking aside, every kid is different and every kid will develop differently. This desire for a one size fits all approach and grand master plan is self defeating. Certain kids will develop into great golfers by starting early with short game, others by focusing on speed, others won't develop speed until later, others may do everything and just never become that great of a tournament golfer. Make sure they love the game, give them opportunities to grow, get them with a good quality coach, and then adjust with what your kid needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

C'mon guys if you aren't putting super speed sticks in their hands at age 6 and making em hit 1000 balls a day by age 7 you are too late and you should just relax and let em go to the muni once a week. No need to even try!

All joking aside, every kid is different and every kid will develop differently. This desire for a one size fits all approach and grand master plan is self defeating. Certain kids will develop into great golfers by starting early with short game, others by focusing on speed, others won't develop speed until later, others may do everything and just never become that great of a tournament golfer. Make sure they love the game, give them opportunities to grow, get them with a good quality coach, and then adjust with what your kid needs.

Some kids will never get it no matter how much they practice or what the priorities are.  It is life.  I suggest a book by Steven Yellin called Simplicity.  Not for kids, but parents or teen golfers.  It talks about great golfers having the ability to bypass the Pre Frontal Cortex of the brain to get into the zone.  Very simple method and well written book.  If a player, in any sport, can't achieve this then they will just be normal.  Not everyone can do it, so enjoy the game, swing hard and have fun.

• Like 2

If your primary goal is to shoot a low score than your points 1,3,4 all all equally important.  Of course, if you bomb the ball then points 3 and 4 should become exponentially easier for a child since they would likely be hitting shorter clubs into holes and miss less greens and hopefully put the ball closer to the hole.   For kids, they always want what they can't/don't have.  You have Player A who bombs it out there but can't hit a wedge to save their life and no short game.  On the flipside, Player B is average in distance but with a deadly wedge players and can putt very well.  On the kids tour guess which kids win more often than not?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

If your primary goal is to shoot a low score than your points 1,3,4 all all equally important.  Of course, if you bomb the ball then points 3 and 4 should become exponentially easier for a child since they would likely be hitting shorter clubs into holes and miss less greens and hopefully put the ball closer to the hole.   For kids, they always want what they can't/don't have.  You have Player A who bombs it out there but can't hit a wedge to save their life and no short game.  On the flipside, Player B is average in distance but with a deadly wedge players and can putt very well.  On the kids tour guess which kids win more often than not?  

Wedge game is easy to teach find a guy with a system and learn it.   Finding a good short game coach is critical once a kid starts to actually play better and has the desire to break 80.

Anyone with basic atheltic ability's can break 80 if they work at it. At that point they are better then most and you will know if you can take it to the next level.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

Looking back at my younger days, my dad and grandpa just had me making swings. Obviously that was when I was very young, and as I continued playing golf growing up there was no pressure on me to focus on any certain aspect over another other than getting the ball to the hole in as few of shots as possible. As I grew older and got bigger, I can appreciate to an extent now, my grandpa telling me to "grip it and rip it" however.

I wish I would have just taken golf more seriously. I personally don't think one aspect of the game should be prioritized over another, whether for a junior player or adult. For me recently, when I start to focus on one aspect in particular, another will always start to degrade. I have found that working on the game as a whole, fairly equally, is what works best for me, and what I plan on doing with my girls.

• Like 1

I strongly believe to practice full swings, short game & putting equally. If we have 60 minutes, we'd dedicate 20 minutes on each. If we have 3 hours to practice, we'll do 1 hour each. We are comfortable with the schedule. 

The caveat is if we are working on anything in particular, we'd dedicate more time. But that's block practice and is different from the variable practice we usually do. 

Having said above, I do know there are kids who are simply better. I'm always whether they see more success because they prioritize one area of their game more (and it seems distance is the biggest differentiator). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Medson said:

I strongly believe to practice full swings, short game & putting equally. If we have 60 minutes, we'd dedicate 20 minutes on each. If we have 3 hours to practice, we'll do 1 hour each. We are comfortable with the schedule. 

The caveat is if we are working on anything in particular, we'd dedicate more time. But that's block practice and is different from the variable practice we usually do. 

Having said above, I do know there are kids who are simply better. I'm always whether they see more success because they prioritize one area of their game more (and it seems distance is the biggest differentiator). 

I don't believe in sitting on the range and hitting balls equally as practicing short game and putting.  If there is an hour to practice 20 minutes putting, 30 minutes short game, 10 minutes range.  If it is 2 hours practice 45 minutes putting, 1 hour short game, 15 minutes range.  Best place to practice full swing and wedge play is on the course, unless you are working on something specific.  We are fortunate and will play 9 holes at the course we live on and hit Drivers on one 9 only.  3 each hole draw, fade, fairway finder and pick up.  When practicing this was he is allowed to play the par 3's through.  Second 9 will throw 3 balls from varying distances on each par 4 and par 5.  He again hits draw, fade, and a cherry pie (easy 3/4 swing) using different clubs.  He then plays all the balls to practice short game and putting.  Fantastic way to practice and less stressful than playing and keeping a score.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 4

This is a loaded question. What age? It makes a difference. My kid starting out at 7 we worked on driving distance the most, not driving accuracy. Big difference between those.  Now at 11 driving distance and accuracy isn't her issue so then you move on to what she needs to work on the most for that kid. Each kid will have a skill they develop faster and one that takes more work. Spend the time working on what each kid needs but don't neglect the strength either. Keep that STRONG. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 4:51 PM, Haroputt said:

So if you had a junior starting out what what you develop 1st , 2nd , etc 

I realize all is important.  But what’s most important to score low? 

Son was never the longest kid.  About two summers ago he found himself in the final round with two kids that just had graduated HS and were going to play D1.  He was out driven all day.  Sometimes by 50-75 yards.  The kids weren't bad or good iron players so their app. to the hole was honestly about the same as his.  His short game has always been good, but it was great this day and I think it got inside the other kids head.

Still always been a firm believer short game is #1.  Yes swing for the fences on the tee box, but short game can really save your round.

• Like 2

Teach them to putt on their own.  Parents caddying and reading putts for their kids prevents them from learning this important skill set on their own.

When the kids were younger and first learning the game, I told them I didn’t care how many shots it took them to get to the green, but they were only allowed two putts when they got there.  Worked wonders for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

On 10/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, Gawbage_man said:

Speed

Agreed...First things first is learn how to hit each club with leverage and and speed and energize the ball.  Then learn to put it on target while developing short game and putting as you go as they are not so important until your level of competency increases as early on way more shots will be lost prior to getting inside the short game and putting distance.  

On 10/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, Haroputt said:

So if you had a junior starting out what what you develop 1st , 2nd , etc 

I realize all is important.  But what’s most important to score low? 

Most important is learning fundamentally sound address technique (grip-posture-alignment). If the junior learns this, and hits thousands of practice balls using same, his own naturally effective swing will be great. "Scoring low" comes from knowing/using excellent technique for all golf shots, from the tee box thru the green. Really until the player has learned proper technique it does not make good sense to be concerned with scoring. When the technique is excellent low scoring naturally happens.

• Like 3

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• 3 months later...

Just Having fun first.  all parts of the game is important. Practicing  getting on the green  with irons and putting is easiest to learn at young age   The driving and short game will develop with physical growth and more experience playing different courses and conditions. 
Before Tournament golf I would make sure he/she’s putting skills are good and can make basic up and downs 

Edited by Haroputt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

None of your choices.  I would help develop a joy and love for the game.  I wish I had done that with my sons.  Alas ALL I cared about was to make them play well.  In trying this I destroyed their desire to go out and play.

These are very wise words.  You can’t improve if you don’t love the game.  If they have a joy and love for the game, improvement will come.  You just be the encourager and parent.  Get a swing coach at some point that they have a good relationship with and you stay out of directing their swing.  You help get them to the course and to tournaments and be a good listener.    

On 10/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, heavy_hitter said:

Honestly depends on the age of the kid.  

None of the above is my answer.

Man got it right. If they're really young best to give them a putter, take them to a practice green and have at it. I'd say figure out how to hit it out of the center next. If you get sequencing, speed will probably follow at some point due to repetition and development of fast twitch muscle fiber. That being said it depends on age and goals because you'll prioritize differently

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jkhogbear said:

These are very wise words.  You can’t improve if you don’t love the game.  If they have a joy and love for the game, improvement will come.  You just be the encourager and parent.  Get a swing coach at some point that they have a good relationship with and you stay out of directing their swing.  You help get them to the course and to tournaments and be a good listener.    

Thanx for your kind words.  I blew my chance with my sons, but, God has a way of giving us all a second chance.  Mine will come with my two grand daughters.  We just moved and there is a little muni Par 3 that allows one child to plat free with one paying adult.  So I will get a season pass and take turns taking the girls one at a time. Thank you God. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

None of your choices.  I would help develop a joy and love for the game.  I wish I had done that with my sons.  Alas ALL I cared about was to make them play well.  In trying this I destroyed their desire to go out and play.

Best thing I ever did was back off.  Let him do his thing and enjoy the game.  Fortunately for him, it wasn't too late.  Every parent wants their kid to succeed.  If they will the will and if they won't they won't.  None of us as parents will have anything to do with them being successful as that has to come from him.  Dads will say "Look at Tiger and Earl."  Completely different scenario in a different time.  What works for one set of parent son doesn't work for another.

• Like 1