Mizuno the real deal?

Mikeh7

2 hours ago, ian-500 said:

Preferred the 54's over the 63's. 

I want to try the Japan only 55's and/or 66's, especially with a little Yoro work.

My prior set of irons were MP-54s, they are amazing.  Just a bit of help on the long irons, and the short irons are so consistent.  I didn't like the feel of the boron irons either, so I never upgraded from them.  

I had my eye on a set of MP-66, before the Grindworks PR-202s I'm now gaming went up on BST for me to grab...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

The thing to look for is a club that has the best turf interaction for your swing, something that inspires confidence and appeals to the eye when you look down at it, pair it with a shaft that best suits you and the branding will be irrelevant. 

I wouldn’t get to caught up in the name. Brand loyalty runs deep with Mizuno owners. I’ve pretty much played them exclusively for 20 years, but Im not in the “nothing feels like a Mizuno“ fanboy club. They just happen to fit my eye and the turf interaction works well for me. As a matter of fact, I hit a Titleist T100 and a Ping i59 today trying a couple of shafts, and I loved the T100’s, the Ping not so much, but that was more due to the shaft being a poor fit. 

There are many clubs that feel as good as a Mizuno when flushed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tets said:

do your fitting and don't look at what your hitting (tell your fitter you want to hit all the big names) be honest with feel, the numbers, flight etc .. then make your choice

Good advice thank you.  I, of course, like the looks of some more than others.  Currently hit i200s and they are solid … just wasn’t fit into them and want to take that uncertainty out of the equation.  

Just got a set of Mizuno Pro 223, my first Mizuno irons.  I will revert with my thoughts after testing these out. (previously played P7MC, T100S).  

[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 14.5* Kuro Kage XM 70 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 Hybrid 19* Tour 85 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]i200 4, iblade 5~PW Steelfiber i95R or [color=#800000][b]Srixon[/b][/color] z565 4~6, z765 7~AW Steelfiber i95S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, Glide 58ES
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Ketsch Heavy 34 Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0 Countercore
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Hoofer 14

Crazy that a softball bat company wants to try their hand at golf equipment.   It's a deep ocean, but I wish them well...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Had my fitting today.  Put into a split set of 921 Forged and Tour.   The Callaway Apex and Srixon 5/7 were right there with them I just didn’t like the look of the Callaway as much and the Mizuno just felt better, to me, than the Srixon (although it was close).  Didn’t get along at all with the T100, which were the ones I wanted to be honest.  Great looking club just didn’t feel right.  

Edited by dulaney22

2 hours ago, tets said:

????????  Mizuno has been making golf equipment since 1933.  They led the PGA Tour in iron count for years before equipment contracts got out of control

Where are they in the grasping sarcasm stats?   Hint--look in my signature....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

I have a set of 921 Hot Metal Pros, and I love them.  They are the best feeling irons that I have hit.  However, when I tried the 2019 Titleist T300, I found a set of irons that felt almost as good, but delivered more distance with better dispersion.  I have subsequently upgraded to the 2021 Titleist T300's and they are even better than the 2019 when it comes to sound and feel.  Right up there with Mizunos and more forgiving.

I still have the 921 HMP because they are great irons and occasionally, I will take them out and play a round with them.  Unfortunately, the performance doesn't match up to the T300's so I'm still playing them.

Ive played mulriple nike, Callaway irons... ive hit taylor made and titleist. The best and softest irons ive ever owned are mizuno. I have mp5s and mmc20 both feel outstanding vs other irons ive ever hit. Now... despite what is said... cast irons actually seem softer to me most of the time then forged... but if you come across the right forged irons they can be just a soft if not a tad more soft. I think that because of the spring like effect from cast irons it feels trampoline like and there fore soft... where as strike some  forged irons bad sometimes and it can hurt... specially blades but not always the case. My mizuno mp5 feel like butter all over the face. Never felt a stinger with them. My mizuno mmc are just as small as anything and unless a hit real thin they always feel great. I played callaway apex 19s that i thought felt like a rock on every shot. Ive played some of their cast offering and they felt forged. I currently have cally xforged/MB 18s that feel very soft.  Any set from any maker can feel very soft or harsh it depends but mizuno does tend to be consistently soft and unique feeling. I do belive their grain flow forging process really does make a difference.

I think the biggest thing to me in this thread is there is more than 1 person in here that didn't know Mizuno made golf clubs.  I count 3/4 serious posts about it.  Pathetic for a bunch of so-called golf nuts 😉😜

• Like 1

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

The cast Hot Metal irons are the best feeling cast I ever owned. Most of my sets in the past have been cast. My wandering eye though got me to the PXGs. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

16 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

Really???  They've been making clubs for almost 100 years.

You know how I know you're not reading sig lines, or the whole thread before replying?

Edited by dan360

1 hour ago, dan360 said:

You know how I know you're not reading sig lines, or the whole thread before replying?

You know signature lines don't show up on mobile right?

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

I've hit the new Mizuno Pro 223s in a few range sessions and all I have to say is that these are butter soft. 

[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 14.5* Kuro Kage XM 70 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 Hybrid 19* Tour 85 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]i200 4, iblade 5~PW Steelfiber i95R or [color=#800000][b]Srixon[/b][/color] z565 4~6, z765 7~AW Steelfiber i95S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, Glide 58ES
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Ketsch Heavy 34 Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0 Countercore
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Hoofer 14

Most important, in my opinion, is how the look fits your eye and the sole fits your swing.  Once you have those figured out it’s basically personal preference on feel and what type of playability you want from an iron. Mizuno irons are 100% the “real deal”, though.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona