2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

On 1/7/2022 at 1:53 PM, SylvesterLundgren said:

Have you tried a magic eraser ??

I haven't tried a magic eraser on rust, but I stumbled on the eraser as an all-purpose club-cleaning tool and it's fantastic. Polishes things up without scuffing glossy surfaces. 

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

4 minutes ago, uglande said:

I haven't tried a magic eraser on rust, but I stumbled on the eraser as an all-purpose club-cleaning tool and it's fantastic. Polishes things up without scuffing glossy surfaces. 

Yeah the same kinda logic I was using, just worth a try. But if it’s just persistent like that then Idk, it’s not my club so idk how to really feel about it lol I am interested in a UW maybe to try as a 5w replacement. Swung one and I really look at it as a middle sized fairway more than a “hybrid” but that is me lol 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

UPS just dropped my 17 degree off. Central NY so it won’t get hit for a few months but owe a debt of gratitude to @QuigleyDUand others for comments. Was nervous it would sit slightly closed but the address view is perfect.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

10 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

UPS just dropped my 17 degree off. Central NY so it won’t get hit for a few months but owe a debt of gratitude to @QuigleyDUand others for comments. Was nervous it would sit slightly closed but the address view is perfect.

You bet man!! Any time! That club is really so good. If I just didn’t have as much confidence in my current set up I would have one..

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW….I ordered this as a 5w replacement (G425 @ 16.5*). Got a 17* with 6.5 RDX Black. Hit about 20 shots with it on the Quad and ordered a 19*. 😂

It goes a loooong way and is low spin as hell. I carry 3w (14.25*)about 260-265 at 11* launch with ~3000 rpm. Usually hit high 150’s in ball speed. The UW 17* hit 155 consistently with 10* launch and 2500 rpm 🥴. Carried about 245 but wasn’t going to hold any greens with that flight. The 19* should hoist it up a bit more and allow me to get after it. It should cruise around 235 carry and let me smash one out to 245. 4i carry is 218. 

All of that for reference. These things are awesome, but if you need low spin/low launch these things actually deliver so be prepared to #loftup! I’m gonna throw my TZ5 in there and check the flight but I might be looking for a TZ6 or Ventus Red to get the launch up. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any slower swingers ie driver ss mid to high 90s gaming this or nah?

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

Yea so after my whole debate of UW vs. ZX Utility I finally found my answer. Did some testing Im and found the 17° uw was just as good if not better than my ZX utility dispersion wise off the tee and a hell of a lot easier to launch off the deck. That means the 17° is staying in as my 4 wood and the 21° is going in for sure as my 3 iron/7 wood. I am super pumped about the tip of my bag for the first time in a while. Excited to see the numbers once I can get on a trackman with my golf ball of choice. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wayward_points said:

Yea so after my whole debate of UW vs. ZX Utility I finally found my answer. Did some testing Im and found the 17° uw was just as good if not better than my ZX utility dispersion wise off the tee and a hell of a lot easier to launch off the deck. That means the 17° is staying in as my 4 wood and the 21° is going in for sure as my 3 iron/7 wood. I am super pumped about the tip of my bag for the first time in a while. Excited to see the numbers once I can get on a trackman with my golf ball of choice. 

Sounds like a great setup. I'd be all over the 17 degree if they made it for lefties. 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, wayward_points said:

So you're going with the 17 and 21 UW? Curious to know what kind of distance gaps and flight differences between the two. (Also, which shaft are you using?).

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

On 2/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, wayward_points said:

What was the difference in ball flight and distance between the ZX and U Wood? Ideally I need something that flies below the wind as it is super windy over here across the pond. 

13 hours ago, Frank_Kasule said:

What was the difference in ball flight and distance between the ZX and U Wood? Ideally I need something that flies below the wind as it is super windy over here across the pond. 

Overall the flight was pretty similar for me off the tee. I could them both high and low. Ball flight was much better for me with the uw off the deck. I was actually able to get it elevated as where the ZX was just lasers. But I also compress the ball and have a naturally more piercing flight to the extra height was welcomed for the uw. The misfits were also nowhere near as punishing for me with the uw.  

• Like 1

UW took a while to figure it out and I had to stick with it, but it’s a weapon now and that Trono shaft is sweet. Really stable in the mid but more active tip to launch isn’t crazy low

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

On 2/4/2022 at 8:41 AM, ephmen said:

Depends on the loft you are considering and what club you might be replacing. At 17*, you are most likely better off with a 4 or 5 wood. At 21*, this could be a great hybrid replacement. The longer shaft is going to generate more speed. Larger head is going to be more forgiving. Should have deeper COG and higher MOI than most hybrids. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Welp I shoulda listened to the reviews. This club is LOOOONG. It's insane how far it goes. I grabbed the 19 to fill the gap between my 16.5 fairway and 21 4 iron and it goes just as far as the 16.5 fairway most of the time. It's within 5-10yds for sure.

I even paired it with a high launch shaft in the AD MJ to bring spin up a bit and its still such a flat and low spin flight.

It's an amazing club though. I would highly recommend trying high launch shafts with these Apex UW heads. I can get this thing to stop in a dime if needed. It just replaced my TSi2 7 wood for the time being.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

4 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Welp I shoulda listened to the reviews. This club is LOOOONG. It's insane how far it goes. I grabbed the 19 to fill the gap between my 16.5 fairway and 21 4 iron and it goes just as far as the 16.5 fairway most of the time. It's within 5-10yds for sure.

I even paired it with a high launch shaft in the AD MJ to bring spin up a bit and its still such a flat and low spin flight.

It's an amazing club though. I would highly recommend trying high launch shafts with these Apex UW heads. I can get this thing to stop in a dime if needed. It just replaced my TSi2 7 wood for the time being.

How far do you hit each of the clubs you mentioned?  I have a 15* fairway although I should use a 4 wood instead and then I go heavenwood/7 wood, have both but HW goes farther and then a 22* hybrid.  I am trying to fill the gap between the 3 wood and 22* hybrid.  Everyone says these things are rockets so I'm wondering if I can get away with a 21 but I had to flush my 7 wood which is 21* to get it to go the distance I need and even then it was still 5 short of what I was hoping for.  Leaning towards 19

For reference, 3 wood carries about 235 avg for 250ish total

22* hybrid carries 205 average

Just not sure if I can get the 21* UW to fly 220

5 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

How far do you hit each of the clubs you mentioned?  I have a 15* fairway although I should use a 4 wood instead and then I go heavenwood/7 wood, have both but HW goes farther and then a 22* hybrid.  I am trying to fill the gap between the 3 wood and 22* hybrid.  Everyone says these things are rockets so I'm wondering if I can get away with a 21 but I had to flush my 7 wood which is 21* to get it to go the distance I need and even then it was still 5 short of what I was hoping for.  Leaning towards 19

For reference, 3 wood carries about 235 avg for 250ish total

22* hybrid carries 205 average

Just not sure if I can get the 21* UW to fly 220

My fairway isnt quite setup properly yet, guess I should have noted that. It's launching a little too high and spinning too much for what i want it for. Right now my 16.5 fairway is carrying about 220 with that too much spin and height. I need to stretch it out to about 230 and flatten the flight out a bit.

The Apex UW 19* is carrying about 210 for me but that flat flight and low spin its rolling out right about to where my fairway is. And thats with the Apex UW -5" and a high launch shaft.

If your 22 hybrid is about 205 I wouldnt doubt the 21 Apex UW would go 215 easily.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

@third-times-a-charm I'd love to make the UW work as a 4W-ish club for approaches into par 5s but it just sounds like these are too low spin and would run out. Are you finding that is the case so far? I'm guessing I'd have to find a perfect shaft to make it work. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

6 minutes ago, PNW said:

@third-times-a-charm I'd love to make the UW work as a 4W-ish club for approaches into par 5s but it just sounds like these are too low spin and would run out. Are you finding that is the case so far? I'm guessing I'd have to find a perfect shaft to make it work. 

IMO you can make it stop but it depends on shaft and AOA, or if you're someone who can change your AOA for different shots. I'm using a high launch shaft and if I get steep with it I can get it to hop and stop pretty easily. The standard no upcharge shafts are all low spin and I think would be hard to stop on a green - like the RDX Black and the MMT.

• Thanks 1

Anyone using the 21 degree that wants to share some specifics on why/how it replaced a club in the bag (notably a 7w)?

I’ve hit the 19 with stock shaft and as others have said I think it’s too close to my 16 4w but maybe I need to test again. I don’t have access to the 21 degree and want to compare it to the Epic Speed 7w. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

@third-times-a-charm thank you. That's pretty much what I've figured. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

21 minutes ago, cmatthews77 said:

Anyone using the 21 degree that wants to share some specifics on why/how it replaced a club in the bag (notably a 7w)?

I’ve hit the 19 with stock shaft and as others have said I think it’s too close to my 16 4w but maybe I need to test again. I don’t have access to the 21 degree and want to compare it to the Epic Speed 7w. 

I bought the 19 degree to replace my 7 wood spot specifically. I had a TSi2 7w turned down to 20*. I hate how large 7w heads are these days. Theyre all 155cc+ which is larger than my 5 wood. The 19* UW just goes so far and I hate having two 21* clubs in the bag. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit it in between the 21* 4i and 16* 4w

On 11/24/2021 at 8:25 AM, Shakespeare said:

Saw one today...first thing I noticed was how much they reminded me of the old Adams Speedline Classic hyb/fwy tour issue model that they only made up to 20 degrees. I think the lowest they made was a 14 deg and there was a 17 deg.  The Callaway is a good looking club for sure.Hoping they are easier to hit then the old Adams!

late to the party but thats the first thing i thought as well. 

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

18 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

On 2/4/2022 at 7:41 AM, ephmen said:

Right here. I'm playing the 21* stick, which replaced a 22* Callaway Apex 21 hybrid. The UW head is is more fwy wood shaped (flatter) which I prefer in this spot. For my swing (very flat and from the inside) I get a better ball flight w/ the UW vs hybrid. No regrets so far in about 3 weeks in the bag.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

My 19* UW replaces an 18.5* five wood (5deep) at similar shaft length.  Distance is similar between the two, flight of UW is a a little lower and also straighter (harder to curve).

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

25 minutes ago, Boognish said:

My 19* UW replaces an 18.5* five wood (5deep) at similar shaft length.  Distance is similar between the two, flight of UW is a a little lower and also straighter (harder to curve).

That's SAYING something because the 5 Deep was considered very long for ITS class. 

So, now I'm recanting, I had a TC Serial 5 Deep. I hit it very well. I just couldn't stand the look of it at address. It played 42 3/4". I could fly it an easy 265 in the air off the ground, more than occasionally getting it out there a touch further. 

I have a TC UW 17° now. I have 1/2 a range session and 1 18 hole round on it. Range session toss it out. New range, couldn't tell you true fly distance. Out on the course, hit it 4 or 5 times. I only missed it once (low heel strike). The remaining, I was carrying it damn near 265 exactly everytime. Course was very soft, my pitch mark in the fairway would be about 6" or less from where the ball finished. And I was NOT hitting high spinning shots. These were nuclear missiles. It plays 42 1/2" as is. My build is bad, need to shorten up to 42 1/4" and lose the 1" of tipping I mistakenly thought I needed. Should start getting some better carry out of it. 

But, yea. Long story short. The UW can keep up, pound for pound. A touch more launch, and I should get 2, 3, maybe 5 yards more of carry. It will easily, very easily, be a 280 yard (grand total) club for me. Very excited to have it be apart of the future for me. It's been a glaring weakness for years. "Glaring weakness" even an understatement.

Edited by EaglesGolf99
Typo.

Anybody know where to get a lighter club head weight for this? Need to bring the swingweight down a couple points.

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Kai'li 70s

TM SIM2 Ti 19* Kai'li 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti BB46 or QB6 or Betti BB Proto

8 minutes ago, bruinmw said:

Anybody know where to get a lighter club head weight for this? Need to bring the swingweight down a couple points.

The Bay. Uses the same weights as Rogue/Epic/Epic Speed series drivers and fairway woods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Well this is where I'm at lol

Removed the stock 7g weight and replaced it with a 5g. Playing it .5" short so that gave me 5g front and 5g back. I could also move to a 2g front weight with 8g back but I dont know if I want to put that much lead tape on this thing.

At this point the spin is up about 500-700rpm over the stock RDX shaft and front-only weight.

C5408124-8F9C-4EAA-9494-0AA776AB8BEA.jpeg.91e299a1f294f7ec12040094c3db4863.jpeg

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2