2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

How does the Trono fit in a fairway set up? Have only seen reviews on the driver shaft. Having trouble deciding between the 75x and the 75s. Is the X really stout? Currently playing Ventus red Vel 7X in my 3 wood and Diamana BF 70x in my 7wood. 

• Like 1

TM 2017 M2 - Oban Kyoshi tour limited 04 60
King Cobra F7 3 wood Hzrdus Red 6.5 65
King Cobra F7 2 hybrid GD 95 X
Honma TW737VS 5 -PW Modus 120X SS1
Sm6 50 F - Miura 56 K - Miura 59 C - KBS 610 125 S+
TP5

No one call and ruin this for us lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

1 hour ago, Heymoose said:

How does the Trono fit in a fairway set up? Have only seen reviews on the driver shaft. Having trouble deciding between the 75x and the 75s. Is the X really stout? Currently playing Ventus red Vel 7X in my 3 wood and Diamana BF 70x in my 7wood. 

I guess many of us will figure out soon 🙂 I'm not a fast swinger so I was torn between 65s and 75s. I ended up choosing 75s for 19 uw but let's see how things go. I play aldila rogue 70s for my 3w and di85s for my hybrid (which i'm trying to replace). While we will figure out, the problem is... when the time comes, this "opportunity" will be gone...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, minhjn said:

No one call and ruin this for us lol

The original poster who found all the free shafts called everyone already even Callaway and no one had any idea or cared what was going on.

Looks like itll be fulfilled as is.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

56 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

The original poster who found all the free shafts called everyone already even Callaway and no one had any idea or cared what was going on.

Looks like itll be fulfilled as is.

This is true, that was me, I made the first rounds of calls because they had hybrid shafts listed instead of fairway shafts and I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. PGA SS just doesn't seem to care enough to fix this and Callaway isn't having to pay for this so they don't care either. 

I placed my orders at the end of last week and these just came in this afternoon, both with Ventus Blue with Velocore shafts -- the wood version in the Apex, the hybrid version in the Epic Super Hybrid, as expected. Gonna start testing them against each other tonight. (Edit to add: The picture's from an odd angle and a little distorting; these actually look very similar in size. My dog apologizes for the hair that's already gotten on the bottom of them, too.)

apexandepic.jpg

Edited by eric61
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

This is true, that was me, I made the first rounds of calls because they had hybrid shafts listed instead of fairway shafts and I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. PGA SS just doesn't seem to care enough to fix this and Callaway isn't having to pay for this so they don't care either. 

I placed my orders at the end of last week and these just came in this afternoon, both with Ventus Blue with Velocore shafts -- the wood version in the Apex, the hybrid version in the Epic Super Hybrid, as expected. Gonna start testing them against each other tonight. (Edit to add: The picture's from an odd angle and a little distorting; these actually look very similar in size. My dog apologizes for the hair that's already gotten on the bottom of them, too.)

apexandepic.jpg

dang you got that fast!!

Srixon Z Star Diamond

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

apexandepic.jpg

They came directly from Callaway in one week? Crazy - Titleist is running min 8 week lead time. 

TM 2017 M2 - Oban Kyoshi tour limited 04 60
King Cobra F7 3 wood Hzrdus Red 6.5 65
King Cobra F7 2 hybrid GD 95 X
Honma TW737VS 5 -PW Modus 120X SS1
Sm6 50 F - Miura 56 K - Miura 59 C - KBS 610 125 S+
TP5

5 minutes ago, Heymoose said:

They came directly from Callaway in one week? Crazy - Titleist is running min 8 week lead time. 

I know, it was wild. I got the shipping notification before I even realized PGA SS had actually pushed the order through despite the Ventus shaft situation.

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Was everyone who got the Ventus Hybrid shaft order in on time offered an option on the weight and flex of the fairway shaft when they fixed, or is it just a crap shoot? Saw above there was some communication, but wonder if everyone got the same?

Ping G400 LST (10) - Tour AD XC 7TX

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver (13.5 @ 43") - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Mizuno STZ 5 Wood - Ventus Red 9X

-or-

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 Iron (18*) - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X Hybrid Shaft

Taylormade P750 Tour Proto (2017) - PX 6.5 - 4-P

Cleveland RTX4 Black - 50/54/58

Scotty Phantom X5 (2022) - 34" - 10G weights

Currently playing an Epic Speed 7w as a test to replace the original Apex hybrid at 20 degrees. Looking forward to testing this thing at 19 or 21 as a middle ground. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

25 minutes ago, jwadds19 said:

Was everyone who got the Ventus Hybrid shaft order in on time offered an option on the weight and flex of the fairway shaft when they fixed, or is it just a crap shoot? Saw above there was some communication, but wonder if everyone got the same?

They replaced mine with the same weight and flex fairway version without asking. But versions of both of mine existed, which won’t be the case for some of you Ventus Black 9X types, so I think those must be the people they’re contacting.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic and a club I would like to use, but need it in a 15* or 16*. 

Titleist TSR3 8* B1 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X 45”

Titleist TSR3 19* B1 Fujikura Atmos HB TX Black 9X

Miura MB 101 4-9 Nippon 950GH

Titleist Vokey SM9 46.10F 50.12F 54.10S 60.08M Nippon 950GH

Gauge G1 Mill Tour SS303

55 minutes ago, eric61 said:

OK, a quick review… I ordered my Apex UW last Thursday when I saw the PGA SS glitch, and it arrived today via UPS, six days after I placed the order. It does look like Callaway tipped the Ventus Blue a decent amount.

I took it to Golf Galaxy and rented a Trackman bay for an hour. I also took my Epic Super Hybrid, which I also ordered with a Ventus Blue HB the same day via the same glitch, and which also arrived today. 19 degrees on the Apex UW at standard length of 41.5” with a Ventus Blue 7S; 18 degrees on the Super at standard length of 40.875” and a Ventus Blue HB 8S.

The Apex UW is a phenomenal club. It’s more than a jack of all trades — it’s a master of most of them too: 

— It has the ease of use of a hybrid, if you struggle with fairway woods.

— It has tremendous workability; easy to  flight up or down or fade or draw. If you can put the swing on it, the club will make it happen.

— It has the feedback of a players’ club. You know where your misses are, a bit more than other fairways and hybrids I’ve used before. 
— But it has forgiveness, too. This thing is not hard to hit.

For context, I’m not a huge swinger. Probably on the slower side around here. I hit driver a few times tonight while warming up and was in the 98-101mph territory, carrying 255-260ish.

On the Apex UW, I was swinging 93-ish mph. Carry was right around 225, and I could step on it and get it carrying low 230s. 

That carry is exactly the same as my 18 degree, 42.75 inch Epic Speed 5 wood, which I swing at more like 96 mph. But the 5 wood goes very high — peak often at about 120, descent angle mid to high 40s. That’s too high around here on windy days.

The Apex UW for me was a lower flight, at around 80-85 feet, coming down at about 40 degrees. Not bad numbers at all — and what separates it from the 5 wood is that it’s pretty easy to hit the Apex UW higher or lower if you want, whereas my 5 wood just always, always wants to go high. (More skilled players could work it more, I’m sure, but that’s not me.) 

Spin was also a little lower than my 5 wood, but pretty comparable. In the mid 3000s for the most part, whereas my 5 wood is typically mid-high 3000s.

OK, so for the comparison with the Epic Super Hybrid: Long story short, the Apex UW is going in my bag.

The Super is a good club, too. But my dispersion was a lot wider with it. Compared to the UW, it also wants to go high. Not 5 wood high, but 95-105 feet. I was getting a little less distance, maybe like 5 yards, which maybe shouldn’t be surprising given the shorter club length but I was swinging it around 92 mph, and a little more spin. 

I’d say Super is probably a little more forgiving. If you’re looking for something that’ll help you hit the ball high, far and straight, and don’t like higher-lofted fairway woods or prefer the shorter shafts of hybrids, this would be a great club for you to try. But the Apex UW was giving me more of what I’m looking for.

I’d say the Super sits a little more closed than the UW — in fact the UW is perfectly square to maybe a little open. But the Super isn’t like offensively closed at all, and looks better at address than most hybrids, I’d say. I have a lot of positive things to say about the Super, too; its only real problem is that the UW exists.

My only issue with the Apex UW is that, while the deal was too good to pass up, I’m afraid Ventus Blue (which I play in my driver btw) might not be the right shaft for me in this. I’m going to give it a bit longer, though. I also have another UW coming that I ordered through Discount Dan’s before I spotted the PGA SS glitch, so… there will be some shaft head-to-heads.

thanks Eric. Nice review. I got the 19* as well and hoping it can fill that 230 slot in my bag. I’ve tried 5 wood, 7 wood, 3 hybrid, driving iron, nothing really sticks. Hopefully this will

• Like 2

Srixon Z Star Diamond

1 hour ago, cubuffs said:

So trying to order one with Trono shaft and payment won’t go through.  Hoping this isn’t PGA SS disabling the no upcharge option but it sure looks that way.

Just placed an order with PGASS for a 17* with a Trono 75x....no problem at all.

Already ordered a 21* with same.

🤫

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

well you guys got me... order placed. 17* and 21* w/ Trono 75x

• Like 2

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope