2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

I've played a "4" wood for many years.  Sim Ti 5 wood then Sim2 Ti 5 wood lofted down and slightly longer shaft.  I'm looking hard at a 17* UW to fill that spot.  I've got the 2024 21* UW shafted with Tensei 1K Pro Blue and it is AUTOMATIC.  Feels great, forgiving, looks great yada yada.  My question is, do I just repeat and go 1K again?   It checks all the boxes.   Maybe I just answered my own question haha.  

Do any of y'all go 17* and 21* UW?  If so, are the stats the same.

THX!

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue +

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

6 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I've played a "4" wood for many years.  Sim Ti 5 wood then Sim2 Ti 5 wood lofted down and slightly longer shaft.  I'm looking hard at a 17* UW to fill that spot.  I've got the 2024 21* UW shafted with Tensei 1K Pro Blue and it is AUTOMATIC.  Feels great, forgiving, looks great yada yada.  My question is, do I just repeat and go 1K again?   It checks all the boxes.   Maybe I just answered my own question haha.  

THX!

I'm sure the 1K would work and would feel and play similar in the 17* just as it does in the 21*. Off the tee and laying up on looooong par 5s, I'd imagine it'd excel. Question would be, coming into the green would you launch it high enough with sufficient spin to hold the green. If that's not something you're concerned about, I'd roll with it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

THX!

If you don't have any issues launching the ball high already, then it shouldn't be a problem going that route.  If you're someone who doesn't launch the ball very high, then this club could be a problem.  I like the 21* UW, but I couldn't hit the 17* high enough when I tried it out after it came out.  I tried 3 different shafts before giving up on it and going back to a 4 wood.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

25 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

If you don't have any issues launching the ball high already, then it shouldn't be a problem going that route.  If you're someone who doesn't launch the ball very high, then this club could be a problem.  I like the 21* UW, but I couldn't hit the 17* high enough when I tried it out after it came out.  I tried 3 different shafts before giving up on it and going back to a 4 wood.  

Is swapping shafts out of the UW an easy task for an average builder? And once it’s pulled, can you easily put an adaptor on that pulled shaft for a different wood (say a Ping G425 5-wood in my case) - or will it require further prep/trimming? (i wouldn’t want it trimmed any further as it’d already be on the shorter end for a 5-wood)

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

56 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Is swapping shafts out of the UW an easy task for an average builder? And once it’s pulled, can you easily put an adaptor on that pulled shaft for a different wood (say a Ping G425 5-wood in my case) - or will it require further prep/trimming? (i wouldn’t want it trimmed any further as it’d already be on the shorter end for a 5-wood)

Tipping for the UW is 1.5" for all shafts if I remember correctly for Callaway's stock tipping, so it would probably play a bit stiffer in a 5 wood than the UW head.  You can put the pulled shaft on an adapter afterwards.  If you're putting a shaft in the UW, make sure you have the correct collared ferrule for the Callaway woods.  You can get them on Amazon or from Billy Bob's golf.  If you don't have the correct one, it's not going to sit properly in the shaft. 

If you have the right shaft puller at home or can get them pulled cleanly from a club builder, installing the shafts yourself isn't that difficult.  Acetone, a rag, and spinning the shaft in your hand will get the ferrule looking just fine as you finish up.   

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 4/10/2024 at 8:32 PM, Avidswampthing66 said:

THX!

I have done an extensive trial with both 17* and 21* UW in the bag. While it was playable and can make it work depending on swing dynamics, I ultimately dropped the 17* and still game the 21* today.

My 21* is going nowhere. Its such a good predictable and reliable club. I get exactly what I put into it. 

The 17* while it took me a while to get it setup correctly, it is more of a one trick pony imo. Like if i wanted consistently low bullet lasers this club did the job. It is almost amazing how low it goes on a stock swing for me. The trouble is when I need to get go high and airborne I had trouble doing so. 

I think J Wonder said in a Q&A years back that a player is supposed to only get fit with one of the lofts and not intended to carry more than one. But hey if you can carry 2 and they come out of your window and carry the right distances for your bag setup then more power to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I carry both the new 19 and 21 degrees.  I have a 15 yard difference between the 2.  The 17 laughed too low off the deck for me.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Mizuno T24 50 deg Denim Copper S400 Wedge

TaylorMade MG4 RAW TW 56, 60 S400 Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Thanks y'all.  Thats enough feedback to go back to the drawing board and maybe got TD 5 or Max 3HL.   The 21 is firmly in the bag 2024 bc its point and shoot good

• Like 2

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

• 1 month later...

I played a 17 or 16.5 degree 4 wood and 20 degree hybrid setup for a long time. Biggest issue was I couldn’t reliably hit the hybrid off the deck. Swapped it with an OG UW 21 degree and I hit it great as a tee club and for longer approaches into par 5s. I love it so much I just got a mint OG UW 17 degree to experiment with as a potential replacement of my 4 wood.  The most underrated part of this club is the feel. A heavy thwack you don’t get with a lot of the part carbon fiber fairway woods these days.  It’s addictive. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question...are the weight threads/weight type the same on the new as they are on the OG? Or will weights that Callaway has been using not fit on the 2024 UW?

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

5 minutes ago, jlevitt9 said:

Dumb question...are the weight threads/weight type the same on the new as they are on the OG? Or will weights that Callaway has been using not fit on the 2024 UW?

They are not the same. I just got a '24 and it's a much wider weight. 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Tour AD VR 7X

Callaway 2022 UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway 2024 UW 23* - Ventus Red 8X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

2 minutes ago, alkal11 said:

They are not the same. I just got a '24 and it's a much wider weight. 

Grrrrr. appreciated! 

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

All good! Lead tape to the rescue. 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a black 8x, which may be too much for me to handle, but when it popped up on Cally CPO I had to grab it. Currently gaming a 19* with DI.  

IMG_3277.jpeg

Edited by jlevitt9
Spelling
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jjones519a said:

is the 17 deg very difficult to elevate from the deck??

I'm 100% done with 3/4 woods.  I want a 17 21 or 22 hybrid combo and these look perfect to me.   

Not sure I can hit the 17 though.... Im sure its fine off the tee.

Get the right shaft in it and it’s not. I have zero issues elevating it. I play a speeder evo 7x in it which is a pretty high launch high spin shaft. 

12 minutes ago, Jjones519a said:

hows the stock MMT shaft for luanch?

I personally didn’t try it. I just put my usual wood shaft in and had zero issues launching. One of my buddies has the stick mmt in his and he’s about a 10 handicap and plays the 17 uw as his 3 wood. He loves it and has no issues with launch off the deck or on the tee

7 hours ago, Jjones519a said:

hows the stock MMT shaft for luanch?

I have it in my 21° and love it. Ymmv

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

On 4/12/2024 at 11:35 PM, Avidswampthing66 said:

Thanks y'all.  Thats enough feedback to go back to the drawing board and maybe got TD 5 or Max 3HL.   The 21 is firmly in the bag 2024 bc its point and shoot good

Where did you end up with this?  Also what are the differences in height and carry with a 21 UW and a 7 wood?

On 6/19/2024 at 6:08 PM, jlevitt9 said:

It’s a black 8x, which may be too much for me to handle, but when it popped up on Cally CPO I had to grab it. Currently gaming a 19* with DI.  

IMG_3277.jpeg

Woah, just noticed you got a tour issue 23° head. Nice

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

3 hours ago, TWGator said:

Where did you end up with this?  Also what are the differences in height and carry with a 21 UW and a 7 wood?

So, I ended up in the TD 5 wood head.  Long, low spin, high flight.   21 UW has a lower ball flight with less spin.   Also, the UW is more draw bias, but this could also be due to the shaft a little as well.   UW feels like cheating and is much better in the wind than the 7 Wood

• Like 2

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

On 6/22/2024 at 10:41 AM, AbSWFPGA said:

Get the right shaft in it and it’s not. I have zero issues elevating it. I play a speeder evo 7x in it which is a pretty high launch high spin shaft. 

I struggled with too low launch and spin with the OG 19* with a Ventus Black 8x. Got the 24 17* with Denali Blue 80TX and getting good launch and spin that I’m looking for. 

16 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I struggled with too low launch and spin with the OG 19* with a Ventus Black 8x. Got the 24 17* with Denali Blue 80TX and getting good launch and spin that I’m looking for. 

Stiffness wise how does the denali blue TX compare to the ventus black X?

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Mini: Taylormade BRNR 13.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

5W: Titleist TSi1 18* - Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8X

9W: Ping G425 Max @22* - UST Attas T2 8X

DI: Callaway Apex UT @25* - Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9X

Irons: Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Wedges: Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - DG X100 / Titleist SM9 @55S & 60T - DG X7 "Spinners"

Putter: L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3* Smooth

Ball: Srixon Z-Star 💎

11 minutes ago, tilasan said:

Stiffness wise how does the denali blue TX compare to the ventus black X?

I’m not very technical. All I know is the ball flies high and has good spin when I hit it with the 2024 17* and it did not when I hit it with the OG 19*.  Came out very low and with little spin with that Ventus Black. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Reg_Golf said:

Recently picked up an OG 19* and thinking about reshafting. Maybe more of a general tipping question but, given that these heads are ~230g, will an untipped xstiff shaft play close to a stiff tipped 1.5” to match the factory setup? 

That really depends on the shaft and the profile of said shaft. 

On 10/15/2021 at 8:40 AM, copegolfer said:

Good Morning everyone.

Has anyone had a chance to hit the Callaway UW? (apologies if already a thread, did a quick forum search and found nothing) 

From pictures this club looks like it would be great as a 5 wood, and i've been searching for something compact to swap out with my DI. 

CP

It's perfect for me! Ordered the 19* and was able to remove both my 5 and 7 wood which I would alternate or carry both depending on course. Great off the deck or tee.  225-245 yds depending on how I need to play it. Ordered mine 1/2" over with the Hzrdus Smoke Blk RDX 85g 6.5 at D5 and it's a perfect match and came in at D5, was surprised on that.