Mid-Am WITBs

fdh

On 8/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, Teekman said:

Not gonna pretend to be a good golfer, but did qualify for this year’s Mid-Am. Former collegiate tennis player who plays golf occasionally.

Here’s a picture of my WITB and a breakdown:

64498803-C0C5-40A9-89A2-0D1F91EEE8BB.jpeg.dcf939bc1d699b2e617536bf1d8a79f4.jpeg

Rather then rewrite my signature I’ll go into the details about my gear:

• I play my clubs 2.5” flat cause I’d rather die than see the ball go Right to Left.
  • My clubs are 0.5” short cause I feel like clubs are too long to begin with.
  • Play standard GP Tour Velvets with 2 wraps.

My buddy hooks me up with UST products and while I know it will sound like schilling:

• I highly recommend their products, specifically their new Lin-Q lineup!
  • Also when they fully release their Dart Lineup I think it’s as good as the MMT lineup that was targeted at better players.
  • My current gamer putter is a Long Neck Custom BB8C in honor of my Mom that details out my family on the sole with the new UST All-In Putter Shaft.

You are my favorite good golfer! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, Teekman said:

Not gonna pretend to be a good golfer, but did qualify for this year’s Mid-Am. Former collegiate tennis player who plays golf occasionally.

• I play my clubs 2.5” flat cause I’d rather die than see the ball go Right to Left.

My buddy hooks me up with UST products and while I know it will sound like schilling:

• Also when they fully release their Dart Lineup I think it’s as good as the MMT lineup that was targeted at better players.
  • My current gamer putter is a Long Neck Custom BB8C in honor of my Mom that details out my family on the sole with the new UST All-In Putter Shaft.

Rather die than draw the ball? Bold statement. I would rather DIE than see it go left to right like some soft, wet noodle. #pushdrawforlife

Here's mine currently.

Do I just put all the Ventus shafts in the bag at once or am I doing it wrong? (Because If was such a thing as between Ventus Blue/Ventus Black and Ventus TR Blue - I'm it)

Qualified for US Mid Am twice, US Am once and since then I just tee it up in Monday Q's and pray the golf gods take pity on me and let me slide through because my Monday - Friday consumes my life. 

All TM except for the wedges because Taylormade haven't figured out how to do that yet. 

Modus 125 X in all. 2019 TP5 (Because they're free 😏 )

20220921_180902.jpg.3a393ee738c8569ca99515e246aa045c.jpg

20220921_180907.jpg.eb1e7d649873e558daa6ab96940520fe.jpg

Edited by jmcm87
  • Like 3

On 8/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, Teekman said:

this is a heck of a bag, esp. with the intricacies of the build! Awesome!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 12:13 AM, jmcm87 said:

Here's mine currently.

Do I just put all the Ventus shafts in the bag at once or am I doing it wrong? (Because If was such a thing as between Ventus Blue/Ventus Black and Ventus TR Blue - I'm it)

Qualified for US Mid Am twice, US Am once and since then I just tee it up in Monday Q's and pray the golf gods take pity on me and let me slide through because my Monday - Friday consumes my life. 

All TM except for the wedges because Taylormade haven't figured out how to do that yet. 

Modus 125 X in all. 2019 TP5 (Because they're free 😏 )

20220921_180902.jpg.3a393ee738c8569ca99515e246aa045c.jpg

20220921_180907.jpg.eb1e7d649873e558daa6ab96940520fe.jpg

I’d love to see more detail on this bag!

Not sure if it's of any relevance, but Garret Rank is all Titleist in his bag but that's largely due to Team Canada and their Titleist affiliation, which he took advantage of a few years ago when he was still on the team. Tsi3 driver, T100 irons, and Vokey wedges- just from what I remember when peaking into his bag while we were warming up (no specs).

I could offer my specs from my bag, but while I did qualify for match play at this year's US mid am I don't think I'd consider myself a "top" mid am. Just a guy who had a good week. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AmateurAmateur said:

I don't think I'd consider myself a "top" mid am. Just a guy who had a good week. 

I spent a lot of years looping on tours and this comment describes most of the professionals out there with 1 or 2 career wins.  The fact that you qualified puts you out in front of most.  Congrats.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 8:05 AM, TheOutlaw23 said:

I’d love to see more detail on this bag!

Okay, so here it is solidified until Stealth2 line comes out at which point I will do my usual 'does this fall into the launch/spin window' exercise. 

Driver - Stealth plus 9 degree, std loft setting, sole weight in slight draw position. Settled into Ventus TR Black 6X from TR Blue 6TX tipped 1" and playing at 44.75". I'm 6'0" but I've always preferred slightly less yardage for more fairways.

My transition is fairly aggressive also and I feel like anything longer trails and I end up losing it high and right when I try to go after it on any forced carries. 

3W - Sim2 15 degree with Ventus TR Black 7X tipped 1" also and playing at 42.75"

3Hy - Stealth 19 with Ventus Black HB 10TX. Might be my favorite club. Could hit this all day and not get sick of it. 

Irons - All 1* strong, Modus 125X Hard stepped (1) std length 6-PW in the MB, the MC 4 and 5 iron are both 1 degree flat and 1 degree strong. Both also 1/4" under Std length. Two wraps on everything, GP NDMC White and Black logo down. 

Wedges - RTX4, 52 56 and 60 bent to 61. Modus 120X. All std length. Only one wrap on the grips, I like a thinner grip on wedges as I am pretty handsy around the greens and I can feel the clubhead better. Probably not if we got actual data, but it's all mental at this point. I've regrooved these twice so far. Waiting to see if there is an MG4 at some point next year, these will be a staple until then. 

10 degrees of bounce on the 52 and 56 and 9 on the 60. I'm a pretty neutral wedge player, used to be pretty steep but wrist pain forced me to retool. 

Putter - Spider GT 35" with superstroke wrist lock. Has a limited edition stability tour blackout shaft. . This shaft helps tremendously with punishing my mishit putts. 1.5 degrees of loft. 

Any questions, let me know. Takk!

Edited by jmcm87
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, BV7x said:

Got my Am status back in 2014 and have played 4 Mid Ams, 2 US Ams, and 2 US 4 ball ams. 3 US Open sectionals but haven’t punched the ticket. Medaled at one for stroke play portion and won some matches here and there. Tons of talent out there in the mid am ranks! Have played with Hagestad a couple of times, including a match and he’s an absolute joke…Tour good. 180+ ball speed with driver and never saw one shot fall left with any club in his bag. Putts it’s AMAZING. A lot of people say “if he was that good why isn’t he on tour”…guy doesn’t want to be on tour. Family is worth a lot of money so money isn’t an object to him. He could go play the tour and possibly win an event in his career and be a small fish in big pond, or he could be a big fish in small pond on the Am scene and break countless records. Guarantee he plays more walker cups than anybody else…will be a walker cup captain…wouldn’t be surprised to see him become a member at Augusta. 

Me…Worked in R&D as a lab tech for a major OEM for a few years and did a lot of club building…so pretty knowledgeable on club design/performance and mass properties/engineering. 

Always game either a cobra or ping driver…both companies are very engineering based in their driver designs and then apply marketing.

Both companies really maximize MOI and keep CG very low. Accra TZ6 but probably switching to Ventus TR Red after hitting recently. 

Taylormade M6 3 wood with Accra tz6. Hit 3 balls at TPI and the fitter said, we can’t beat that so let’s not try. He acknowledged Taylormade makes the best 3 woods. Accra is a real sleeper (again equipment comes down to marketing unfortunately). There is a reason True Temper bought Accra and it wasn’t because Accra is a threat when it comes to sales. Accra makes some phenomenal products and TT wanted access to some patents.

Always been a long iron guy over hybrid or 5 wood. Just more accurate. T200 with AD DI 105x tipped 1”.

When it comes to better-player irons, the club has to look right at address and pass the visual test. Don’t get caught up in tech. From there, I want the clubs to fly a certain trajectory, distance and square up how I am familiar with. For me, I know I like a shorter blade length with a boxier/squarer head shape. I also like a little offset like older era irons and typically bend some into my wedges and irons. I have mainly gamed Cobra S3 pro combos 4-9 or 714 AP2 4-9. KBS Tour 130x. Excited to try the new Cobra King Tour and King CB and think those will go in the bag before next tournament season.

Vokey 46, 50, 56M, 62T KBS Tour 130x

Original White Hot Center Shaft 2 ball

..... you sound familiar! im a fan ! NCGA

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

7 hours ago, BluehoseGolf said:

Greatly enjoyed reading this! I qualified for the Mid-Am this year at Erin Hills and was fascinated with how many guys have some type of club deal. I would say at least 50% of the guys that competed out there get a discount / clubs for free. I have reached out to several reps to try to even get clubs at cost but unfortunately have not yet had any success - I honestly just want to get fit for a new driver as I have never properly fit. 

Unfortunately I had a bad back 9 the first day and missed the cut by 4, but what an awesome experience. Highly recommend anyone on the fence of trying to compete on the Mid-Am circuit to do so. Happy to post a WITB if anyone has any interest!

Please post a witb.  I always find it interesting to see what better players play.  Especially if you have pay for your own clubs!  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Great bag.  I like the the old school Clemson head cover.  I have a similar one for Illinois.  When I think of better players bags, I have this image of well worn putters and older three woods (the best player I know has a bag like this).  Yours does not disappoint.  Enjoy San Diego, it is one of my favorite places to visit.  In fact I am heading there next June.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

I'm not nearly good enough for a Mid-Am, but I did play Erin Hills the same Saturday and just hours after the tournament finished.  Some very tough pin placements and the greens were quick! And that rough! LOL Anyone know what the greens were running on the Stimp?  Someone who played the Mid-Am, perhaps. TIA 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX

On 12/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, BluehoseGolf said:

Sure thing! I frequent the Classified section / eBay and have predominantly purchased my clubs off of those 2 sites and have called out where I purchased below. I thought that would a cool thing to show as I have saved a bunch of money buying from these places vs. retail.

Before I dive into what I am playing right now, I wanted to shout out my fiancé (also my caddy at the Mid Am) as she will be purchasing me a Circle T from the SC gallery as a wedding present when we head to San Diego to this February (you can see why I am marrying her). The one catch - she is requiring me to use it as a gamer and not be another putter that stays in the overflow bag 🤣.

Now onto the bag..

I started off with the headcover collection (mine is fairly weak at the moment) as I have found this to truly be a badge of honor on the Mid Am circuit haha.

IMG_3699.jpg.1570007a7ff90ee7d46d0c258a2de428.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg.ef905c7a6b7c9ef4bdf647623353ab25.jpg

Putters: Currently messing around with a SC Champions Choice NP2 34.5" (WRX classifieds) that I bought myself as a 30th birthday present this year, but typically game my 2012 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35" (purchased retail when it first came out). I have used it so much that I've worn the black off of the bottom of it and am starting to create a wear mark in the middle. As mentioned above, these will be replaced by something awesome in the near future.

IMG_3700.jpg.2ec669db19ff36cccbec6657d3b94b2e.jpg

Driver: 9-degree Stealth (WRX classifieds) turned down slightly, Tour AD BB 6x driver shaft (WRX classifieds) that I have played for the last 7 or so years. I really like this driver but my focus this offseason is to find inside the tree line more often, so going to mess around with a shorter shaft. I made 3 birdies from the knee-high fescue at the Mid Am (lol) so this is a true area of emphasis for the upcoming year.

Fairway woods: Tour issue M6 rocket 3 wood (eBay) with an 8X Tour AD XC (WRX classifieds), tour issue Sim 2 Max 5 wood (WRX classifieds) with the same XC shaft in it. The Tour AD XC shafts are some of the best they have made in a while, and I honestly hit my 3 wood closer to my driver distance wise than I would like on occasion.

IMG_3701.jpg.77a328ea330361056d0fbe204b66404e.jpg

Irons: Srixon combo set - Z forged 7i-PW and ZX7 4i-6i with DG TI X100's (retail w/ shop credit). All standard specs. If I were fortunate enough to get a club deal in the future for playing well at big events, it would take a lot of convincing to kick the Srixon irons out of the bag. They are THAT good. The V sole truly eliminates diggy-ness into the turf and am surprised other OEMs have not mimicked it.

Wedges: SM8 52F and 56D and SM9 60M - 52 has DG TI X100 and 56 / 60 have TI S400's (all retail w/ shop credit). Unfortunately, when I used my shop credit at my club they shipped me a tour chrome 60 and not the raw version I ordered - so when I wear this one down, I will be replacing back with raw.

Golf Ball: Pro V1

Grips: Z cord midsize

Lead tape on the Driver / Fairway woods as I don't like to see the ball go left and on the 60 to feel the head more

Like it man--Goes to show you do not have to break the bank to find quality equipment just do as you did shop around

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 12/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, wolverine_man said:

I'm not nearly good enough for a Mid-Am, but I did play Erin Hills the same Saturday and just hours after the tournament finished.  Some very tough pin placements and the greens were quick! And that rough! LOL Anyone know what the greens were running on the Stimp?  Someone who played the Mid-Am, perhaps. TIA 

Easily 12 on the stimp 

• Like 1

WITB:

Who knows?

40 minutes ago, BluehoseGolf said:

Easily 12 on the stimp 

I knew it!! I started out with three pars and thought I could do a decent round, but then the greens got me. Then a drive or two that was just like a foot or so into the rough, and it was tough to even get a club on the ball. Honestly the time that I was in the fescue was an easier hit than out of that rough. Great course, though. Nice accommodations and I cannot wait to go back! 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...