How illegal is my putter grip?

extrastiff

I recently messed around with using a super stroke flat grip against my arm, and then cut the grip that originally came with my arm lock putter and then slid it down so my hand could grip that. Works really well for my really long arms. But my golf coach suggested that I should find out if it is legal or not before I play a tournament at the end of the month. 

so here are some pictures, and I would appreciate any advice on whether this will be a issue or not. Based on what happen with Harris English having a little bit of a flapper, and them deeming it a “damaged, unplayable grip,” makes me think the safest bet is to just switch for a normal, singular grip.But I’m still curious what others think. The pictures probably show it, but the flat side of the super stroke grip faces a diff direction than the flat side of the cut cobra grip. 

B2FA8ED2-8AE3-421B-87C3-DCBE11DE3891.jpeg

5EAFFEF7-8A11-4821-B753-6A07C346BDA6.jpeg

ED2CFC22-E0ED-4F7C-AA81-7D52EBDB823C.jpeg

05E94866-9F3B-4FCD-B5D7-9C0DA18E83EC.jpeg

CFF5E60B-93DE-4DBA-8AB5-A0B12BD0668B.jpeg

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I'm pretty sure the fact it has the flat surfaces on different orientations and different circumference between the 2 grips with the step at the join it would be non conforming. 

I'm pretty sure there is a regulation about the contour of the grip, without looking it up I'm not sure what the exact wording is but I would say it couldn't be used. 

There is plenty info on the usga and R&A websites that will help you figure it out for definite. 

Edited by Alan Pllu
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Illegal. A putter grip may have a noncircular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip.

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html#!ruletype=er&section=rule&partnum=2&rulenum=4

You may have a grip with the flat side at a 90 degree angle to place it on your arm, but it must be the same for the full length of the grip. IMO you shouldn't become dependent on the shaft against the arm technique. I expect it will be removed as an option, just as anchoring was. It's only a slight change to the current rule to declare that a forearm may not be used as an anchoring point. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Just now, Alan Pllu said:

I'm pretty sure the fact it has the flat surfaces on different orientations and different circumstances between the 2 grips with the step at the join it would be non conforming. 

I'm pretty sure there is a regulation about the contour of the grip, without looking it up I'm not sure what the exact wording is but I would say it couldn't be used. 

There is plenty info on the usga and R&A websites that will help you figure it out for definite. 

nice! I looked it up and I’m more confused 
 “A 
putter may have two grips provided each is circular in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the axis of the shaft, and they are separated by at least 1.5 inches (38.1 mm).”

So sounds like mine is illegal because the grips are not separated by at least an inch and a half, but otherwise legal? There is also something in there about the grip may not be molded, so maybe the fact that mines cut down in a custom way also could violate that aspect

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

5 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

Illegal. A putter grip may have a noncircular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip.

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html#!ruletype=er&section=rule&partnum=2&rulenum=4

You may have a grip with the flat side at a 90 degree angle to place it on your arm, but it must be the same for the full length of the grip. IMO you shouldn't become dependent on the shaft against the arm technique. I expect it will be removed as an option, just as anchoring was. It's only a slight change to the current rule to declare that a forearm may not be used as an anchoring point. 

I hear what you’re saying about becoming dependent on it, but I’m gonna ride it until the dudes with nothing else to do decide to change the rules some more. But yeah, you’re probably right.they are very very bored it seems. 

so considering that it says a putter may have two grips, does that change your opinion on it having to be “the same for full length of grip”(since it’s actually two grips)

Edited by extrastiff

Never mind, just reading more on the USGA site, I think mine technically could be legal with a bit of modification, but there are so many stipulations that I think if I found success with it, they would target it and rule at nonconforming anyways. 

thanks For the quick responses

The 2 grips thing is meant for broom handle style putters like Adam Scott uses. There needs to be a gap between them and the both need to be the same cross section with no flat surfaces. 

I would say this alone makes your illegal since your grips are not round and not separated by the 1.5 inches. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

nice! I looked it up and I’m more confused 
 “A 
putter may have two grips provided each is circular in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the axis of the shaft, and they are separated by at least 1.5 inches (38.1 mm).”

So sounds like mine is illegal because the grips are not separated by at least an inch and a half, but otherwise legal? There is also something in there about the grip may not be molded, so maybe the fact that mines cut down in a custom way also could violate that aspect

No. Where you go astray of the rules is the two different diameters.  The rues say the grip must be of a constant size and taper.

Edited by cristphoto

9 minutes ago, Alan Pllu said:

The 2 grips thing is meant for broom handle style putters like Adam Scott uses. There needs to be a gap between them and the both need to be the same cross section with no flat surfaces. 

I would say this alone makes your illegal since your grips are not round and not separated by the 1.5 inches. 

Thats correct, when we use 2 grips they must be round and with 1.50" between them, so its either conforming or NOT, there aint no such thing as "a little pregnant" or "a little non conforming", but since the OP wants a "number", i would say more than 99.99% non conforming ;-)

image.png.9b1af1e605322df42e0ca8f30a1f6450.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

“A putter may have two grips provided each is circular in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the axis of the shaft, and they are separated by at least 1.5 inches (38.1 mm).”

You have 2 reasons why it is illegal.. 1) the grip is not circular/round….2) it is not separated by 1.5 inches.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S 
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15*(16*)Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21*(20*)Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*)Tensei Red R
  • Irons - PXG 0311P gen3 6-PW Steelfiber 70 R
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 35.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash 

1 hour ago, Billfitz said:

They have a pictorial on what is legal and against the arm is fine.  It is not anchored in any way.  Is it to a fixed, non moveable point like belly or sternum? No it is not.  

How can folks call this anchored when the whole grip is moving in space?

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

Against the arm is fine for now. Against the chest or belly was once fine, it isn't anymore. I doubt that against the arm will remain legal.

Possibly when the shaft is used as an aid to prevent wrist break, which it is in that picture. Other devices that do essentially the same thing aren't allowed, so why should the shaft? But that putter shaft isn't overly long, so in this case it's not the shaft that's in question, it's the technique. I wouldn't be surprised for the USGA/R&A to put a limit of the length of the putter shaft, as there is with the driver, perhaps at 40 inches. Then guys like Bryson can still stabilize the leading wrist by using the above technique. It would take a bit more skill than with a longer shaft, but that's the point of all gear standards.

• Confused 1

Great limit putters to 40” . Tell all the broomstick guys who don’t anchor their putter their technique is now illegal again. See this is the problem . Arm lock is not anchoring , simply put. 

anchoring has a fixed point and the pendulum moves iff that. Arm lock is not a fixed point nor does the gear stay in the same location for the duration of the strike .  If push came to shove I could see them changing the allowed lie angle on putters but that’s about it . 

What Bryson does and kuchar does are both in the spirit of a stroke but they both go about it completely differently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could in theory twist a full 17” grip on the grip cap end to create a similar effect. The grip is legal because of its shape how you orient the grip is your choice. You could have the bottom/grip side square and rotate the butt end as much as possible. 

• Like 1

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

21 hours ago, mogc60 said:

You could in theory twist a full 17” grip on the grip cap end to create a similar effect. The grip is legal because of its shape how you orient the grip is your choice. You could have the bottom/grip side square and rotate the butt end as much as possible. 

It’s a great idea, but I think they would rule it illegal because it is contoured, and the flat side orientation is not consistent.I’ll read the rules again and see what I think. 

21 hours ago, ws6 said:

Flashback to Tiger PGA Tour win 2, and Taylor Smith's illegal putter grip.

Nice, you can clearly see a bulge and a less than 5 inch gap so I can see why that one is illegal for sure. 

Edited by extrastiff

22 hours ago, 20six said:

It is too fugly to put in play, so legality is a moot point. 🙂

I’d use a putter from the local putt putt course with a slice of vegan provolone as a grip if I could sink a putt

Edited by extrastiff

L

Edited by extrastiff