2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Casey Martin has leg amputated

tiderider

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2021/10/16/report-oregon-mens-golf-coach-casey-martin-has-leg-amputated/119054688/

In October 2019, Martin fractured his right tibia after misjudging a step onto his street, which was under construction, while retrieving the garbage can from the curb. Now, Golf Digest has reported that Martin underwent surgery Friday to have the leg amputated and is recovering at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

"I knew this day was coming," Martin told the Oregon Register Guard in March 2020, after the misstep that ultimately led to the procedure, "and it's here."

Martin spent much of the past two years wearing a cast, using crutches to walk and undergoing injections, according to Golf Digest reporting, but the tibia never healed.

Generally disagreed with the court ruling forcing the tour to accommodate him, but didn't feel good about it ... hope he recovers and can still enjoy the game ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

It must have been an incredibly difficult reality to accept.  But something tells me he will be happy he had it done and probably regret not doing it sooner.  I cannot imagine what it must be like to have to make the decision to have a limb amputated, but my guess is his quality of life will improve dramatically.  

I sincerely hope his quality of life is better......tough decision though, for sure.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tiderider said:

Generally disagreed with the court ruling forcing the tour to accommodate him, but didn't feel good about it ... hope he recovers and can still enjoy the game ... 

At the time, I also disagreed with it.  But as time went on, when you see Rory squatting ~315 lbs and tons of other golfers being in freakishly good shape, it's really your fault if you can't beat someone with a circulatory condition where he can barely bear his own body weight.  Perhaps it could have led to a slippery slope, but in his case I think he should have gotten the cart without a lengthy court battle.  Have any other ADA cases arisen since the TOUR lost the case? 

Edit: Also, wishing the best for his recovery.

Edited by huskydawg
addition
  • Like 2

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

45 minutes ago, huskydawg said:

At the time, I also disagreed with it.  But as time went on, when you see Rory squatting ~315 lbs and tons of other golfers being in freakishly good shape, it's really your fault if you can't beat someone with a circulatory condition where he can barely bear his own body weight.  Perhaps it could have led to a slippery slope, but in his case I think he should have gotten the cart without a lengthy court battle.  Have any other ADA cases arisen since the TOUR lost the case? 

I like your alternate viewpoint with if you can’t beat a handicapped guy, that’s on you. BUT I really do think the walking is part of the game. If I’ve walked 17 hills I’m going to be more fatigued than a guy that drove those hills.  So it sucks a guy with that talent can’t walk, it’s an essential part of the game IMO. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

I like your alternate viewpoint with if you can’t beat a handicapped guy, that’s on you. BUT I really do think the walking is part of the game. If I’ve walked 17 hills I’m going to be more fatigued than a guy that drove those hills.  So it sucks a guy with that talent can’t walk, it’s an essential part of the game IMO. 

That's a very fair point.  I can't really argue that other than to point out that some people tend to play better when they walk instead of ride.  Also, I can't imagine Casey's weight transfer or push-off would be as explosive as say Dustin Johnson or Brooks who practically live in the weight room.  Tough issue for sure with many angles.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

10 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

I didn’t have a problem with him getting to use the cart, the fact that he had to keep it on the cart path still made him have to walk to his ball.  I agree Walking is a big part of the game, but what if his 50-100 yard walk to his ball was harder than any other players walking an entire hole.  I think the recent event of his amputation may have finally shed some light on just how serious his condition was.  If Tiger had to use a cart upon coming back after his wreck, would people feel the same way as they did about Casey, who really had a minimal career on tour.

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

50 minutes ago, Strategery said:

Walking is part of the game... with caddies?? That seems totally arbitrary.

*All* players, pros included, should be able to get around however they want. I see zero problems with riding. The same for wearing shorts.

Yes. A typical course is 5 miles long with hills generally. That’s not insignificant 

Best wishes for his recovery.  I hope and pray that the wound heals and he can have a quality of life using a prosthetic.   ...with no more surgeries.   His circulatory disease makes everything a challenge. 

• Like 3
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

23 hours ago, huskydawg said:

certainly see that point ... don't know the details of the court's argument for/against, which might be interesting to check out, actually ... but given that my cynicism towards society only grows with age, any positive aspect of golf only grows my affinity for the game, and his struggles - as a golfer aspiring to make it to the tour, as a fighter against a debilitating disease and as legal combatant - makes him and golf that much more admirable ... don't think there's been anymore ADA cases since his ... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tiderider said:

certainly see that point ... don't know the details of the court's argument for/against, which might be interesting to check out, actually ... but given that my cynicism towards society only grows with age, any positive aspect of golf only grows my affinity for the game, and his struggles - as a golfer aspiring to make it to the tour, as a fighter against a debilitating disease and as legal combatant - makes him and golf that much more admirable ... don't think there's been anymore ADA cases since his ... 

it’s a fascinating read. I’m not a lawyer, but I enjoy following and reading about SCOTUS cases and decisions.

Heres the overview, the opinion and dissent:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-24.ZS.html

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Walking is part of the game on the pro tour.  I don't see what Casey and the courts do/did not understand:  LIFE IS NOT FAIR.  

If a person can't play by the given rules, maybe it's time to move on to something else.  Casey could have been a coach, instructor, etc. instead of trying to play on the Tour and causing all of the controversy.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, Blonde Line Lizard said:

If a person can't play by the given rules, maybe it's time to move on to something else.

Hmmm...what could we move on to?

image.png.04e846dfd21634c07c63fb380595e318.png

• Haha 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

On 10/17/2021 at 5:21 AM, stingerfade said:

Yes. A typical course is 5 miles long with hills generally. That’s not insignificant 

I'm a traditionalist, but for able bodied PGA players a 5 mile walk is utterly insignificant, a cart is not going to benefit them in any way, and, as the court agreed, the Tour should always have allowed disability exemptions. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, huskydawg said:

Video of Rory squatting 315 please? 

I saw a reasonably full but very shaky 265 one. 

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

I'm a traditionalist, but for able bodied PGA players a 5 mile walk is utterly insignificant, a cart is not going to benefit them in any way, and, as the court agreed, the Tour should always have allowed disability exemptions. 

Completely disagree. From an exercise standpoint walking to the cart and back is insignificant. A 5 mile walk is not. I agree it’s not a marathon but it does cause fatigue which would cause poor decisions etc, tired legs. 

On 10/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, swgolf12 said:

The PGA Tour is a work place, so no one with any disabilities or medical conditions can work in your mind? Seek help, seriously.  Nothing you can say could ever possibly add value to society. 

With all due respect SW, attacking someone like you just did because he disagrees with you seems much like throwing stones from a glass house. Maybe you need to check your attitudes toward other people and get help too.

It is awful to hear this news, I hope he recovers quickly. I wish we had a lot more people like Casey Martin in our country and world these days. It would be a much better place.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1