Anyone own a pull cart (trolley) or motorized carrier?

playit

Those electric golf bag carts that follow you around, that seems nice in theory, do they work well, are they worth it? Almost 68 and out of shape but working on it, getting back into golf and would like to walk when possible. I don't mind spending for something that is worth it. Do you favor a good pull cart, whatever that is, or one that is motorized that you must guide, or one of the follow-me types? Input appreciated!

I bought the Stewart X9 Follow about 2 years ago.  Best money I've ever spent on golf.  Worth every penny to have that cart just follow along behind you.  Stops when you do, starts when you do. It's a fun way to walk and play.  I use the follow mode nearly 75 percent of the time.  The other times are around greens or bridges, etc and then I use remote mode.  

It'll take about 36 holes to get used to it.  After that you don't even have to think about it.  Just walk and play golf.

Push carts are a literal pain.  I'm 66 and didn't like them.   I have 2 titanium hips, but I'm in very good shape as I walk 36 holes a week and also cycle 40 miles a week.  I also considered the electric cart without a remote.  No thanks.  I don't want to direct it everywhere.  I want to walk and have the cart right behind me when I need it.

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

I purchased a MotoCaddy M5 GPS earlier this year. I'm only 43, but have a bad lower back. Best golf purchase I've ever made. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

2 hours ago, lefty1978 said:

I purchased a MotoCaddy M5 GPS earlier this year. I'm only 43, but have a bad lower back. Best golf purchase I've ever made. 

I have the G-7. I was lucky enough to get to test it for another golf site and Motocaddy--- The main thing was help for me after having a traumatic back injury to the L-2 section. It did help me a lot and got me back on the course some and to the range. I have gotten to the point I can walk a couple of holes due to the use of the Motocaddy. Yes all in all they are a well built well engineered product. It is cooling off weather wise here so I am looking forward to my vintage walking rounds

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

5 hours ago, playit said:

Those electric golf bag carts that follow you around, that seems nice in theory, do they work well, are they worth it? Almost 68 and out of shape but working on it, getting back into golf and would like to walk when possible. I don't mind spending for something that is worth it. Do you favor a good pull cart, whatever that is, or one that is motorized that you must guide, or one of the follow-me types? Input appreciated!

I'm later 50's, artificial hip, and use a push cart whenever possible.  I was carrying but made a command decision this year to use a push cart for the sake of the hip.  I want it to last for as long as possible.

I gave a lot of thought to an electric model but after much research I wasn't confident it would work on the wet, hilly courses I play.  There were too many stories about carts sliding and tipping on side hills along with spinning out going up steep hills during wet conditions.

I could do cart path only with one for 8 months out of the year just like cart golfers, lol.

If I played mostly level courses I'd still have a push cart.  Pushing a bag on level ground is not much different than just walking imo. 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I love my Alphard Club Booster V2 that's paired up with a Rovic RV1S Golf Push Cart.  Very happy with the combination and one of my best golf purchases.

WITB:

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 XF 
3 Wood: PXG Gen 4 0341X 

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850 3H 

Irons: Ping i525 5-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 3 iron

Wedges: TM MG2 52*, Mizuno T7 56*
Putter: SC GoLo Select murdered out custom welded neck
Ball: Snell MTB Black

24 minutes ago, Vinnieluvv said:

I love my Alphard Club Booster V2 that's paired up with a Rovic RV1S Golf Push Cart.  Very happy with the combination and one of my best golf purchases.

Ok, I see that the Rovic is a push cart and the Alphard is a battery powered wheels adaptor gizmo. Interesting. Did you recently do this, did you price it versus buying one that is fully ready to go? Why is your setup better? Or did you already own the push cart? Is there a remote capability or a command you can press a button or something and it will go 10 yards or 30 yards, etc? (I don't know that this is necessary but I see others with such capability, so, I suppose people use that.

22 minutes ago, playit said:

Ok, I see that the Rovic is a push cart and the Alphard is a battery powered wheels adaptor gizmo. Interesting. Did you recently do this, did you price it versus buying one that is fully ready to go? Why is your setup better? Or did you already own the push cart? Is there a remote capability or a command you can press a button or something and it will go 10 yards or 30 yards, etc? (I don't know that this is necessary but I see others with such capability, so, I suppose people use that.

I already had the Rovic push cart and I supported the Alphard eWheels V2 Indiegogo fund raising campaign in February 2020.  I pledged ~$500 to the campaign and was one of the first ones to receive the V2 in October 2020.  The Rovic RV1S has a pivoting front wheel which works great with the V2 for turning ability.  I walked 18 holes yesterday when the temperature got up to the mid-80s, the umbrella and attachable ClicGear golf cart seat allowed me to take breaks in the shade.  It made walking less taxing and helped me maintain my energy for golf.  The V2 now retails for $900.  It has a remote control and a tether system that makes the cart follow you while walking.  I only use the remote and control the speed so I can walk in the umbrella shade.  It does have a feature to send it 15 or 30 yards ahead to the next tee box and it automatically stops when you get more than 45 yards away. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB:

1 hour ago, Vinnieluvv said:

I already had the Rovic push cart and I supported the Alphard eWheels V2 Indiegogo fund raising campaign in February 2020.  I pledged ~$500 to the campaign and was one of the first ones to receive the V2 in October 2020.  The Rovic RV1S has a pivoting front wheel which works great with the V2 for turning ability.  I walked 18 holes yesterday when the temperature got up to the mid-80s, the umbrella and attachable ClicGear golf cart seat allowed me to take breaks in the shade.  It made walking less taxing and helped me maintain my energy for golf.  The V2 now retails for $900.  It has a remote control and a tether system that makes the cart follow you while walking.  I only use the remote and control the speed so I can walk in the umbrella shade.  It does have a feature to send it 15 or 30 yards ahead to the next tee box and it automatically stops when you get more than 45 yards away. Hope this helps.

I was pretty fired up about it until I watched the video on this page -- https://alphardgolf.com/collections/frontpage/products/tfs

I can't envision liking a tether cable attaching me and my pull cart. Plus, the video showed the caddy cart weaving back and forth. That is not an impressive video!

What do you think about those concerns?

Edited by playit

21 minutes ago, playit said:

I was pretty fired up about it until I watched the video on this page -- https://alphardgolf.com/collections/frontpage/products/tfs

I can't envision liking a tether cable attaching me and my pull cart. Plus, the video showed the caddy card weaving back and forth. That is not an impressive video!

What do you think about those concerns?

I don't like the TFS and only use the remote which works great with no weaving back and forth.

WITB:

14 hours ago, playit said:

... I had back surgeries in 92' and again in 95' and my Ortho told me not got carry or ride in a cart or I would be looking at surgery #3. Remote carts were just becoming a thing back then and I was all in. First 3 or 4 carts all fell apart after 1 year, replaced and then went out of business so I went to a non remote with the Mottocaddy S1 and it worked great so I invested in the Motocaddy S7 with remote and it was very reliable. The problem with many is they tend to wander and need constant corrections.  When I found the MGI Quad with a gyroscope I had to give it a try and it worked as advertised, no more correcting as the gyroscope keeps it on track if it moves down a slope or the fairway slants. As 596 said "you don't even have to think about it. Just walk and play golf." It becomes like breathing and you don;t even notice you are guiding it with the remote.

... I ended up giving the Quad to the Mrs and bought the MGI ZIP because the battery is smaller but lasts 36 holes. One day I forgot I had used it 2 rounds and figured it would die on the back but it made not for 54 holes and I was impressed. Wouldn't try it again as dying on the back 9 is no fun but good to know it 
will always last 36. 

... Kinda interesting you are the same age as me, 68 and I can't tell you how many golfers have said to me something like if they were in better shape they would get a remote cart, and I always reply "if you used one you will be in better shape". As a lifelong athlete, staying in shape and continuing to compete at a high level is important to me and walking with the MGI ZIP 5 or 6 times a week plays a big role in keeping me fit. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

My wife and I both have the MotoCaddy M3 Pro. It's not a remote controlled one, just self-propelled. We love ours. I have a bad back, and this allows me to walk just about any golf course no matter how hilly. 

I will also make a couple comments about the remote controlled carts, and why I ended up not going that route. When I was researching I had heard stories about how if the cart got out of range of the remote, they couldn't stop their cart and they'd watch helplessly as it drove itself into the water or a tree or whatever. I've actually witnessed this happen to a couple members at my club. One accidentally drove hers right into a creek, and the other luckily only tipped it over into a bunker. I've also heard stories where people accidentally bumped the button on the remote while it was in their pocket, didn't realize it, only to turn around and see it running into the water. 

Also, the remote controlled version of my cart was $600 more. So if price is a consideration, think about that.

That said, I've also talked to people who say that their cart is designed to automatically stop if it gets out of range of the remote control. Which is the way it should work. So I dunno. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

The Stewart X9 Follow does both.  Can be used with a remote, or used in a follow mode.  In follow mode the remote is either in your pocket or on your belt so the car will follow the BT signal wherever you go 

Some carts are remote control only.  Some carts have no remote but use buttons on the handle that you control the cart with.

All depends on what you want out of the cart and how much money you wish to spend.

Edited by 596

13 minutes ago, playit said:

If anyone has one with 'follow' mode, chime in on how well it works. Thanks.

I'm using a commercial grade unit that follows. So you need to walk like your towing a trailer. Sharp abrupt turns will confuse the unit ot it will cut the corner a bit too much. For a 90 degree turn you make a radial move. At first this is a bit of an issue, after a few rounds it's 2nd nature. There's a toggle switch you hit to engage and disengage the following.

Played with a couple this past Saturday who had this setup on Clic Gear carts;

https://alphardgolf.com/

Looked pretty cool - not sure if the cost justifies the benefits

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 Max 14.5

Ping G430 Max 17.5

Ping G430 4hy 22.5

Ping i525 Green Dot 

Ping Glide 4.0 E Eye 2 

Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Tour 

I bought the MGI Zip Navigator remote control cart  in August 2020 and it's the best investment I've made for my golf game.  I play on fairly hilly courses and have a boat load of back issues so this has really taken the load off.

https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at,-all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

This is the AT version, which I don't believe was available in the U.S., but apparently Costco made a deal with MGI to sell them.  The version available in other golf stores is the regular version.  The only difference is the front wheels are farther apart on the AT version which I like for the stability.  It's been a tank.  It's taken tumbles, hit curbs and other things, but still as reliable as the day I bought it. Its easy to fold up and, although its a bit heavy getting in the car (especially if you forget to take the battery off), its not that bad.

24 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

I bought the MGI Zip Navigator remote control cart  in August 2020 and it's the best investment I've made for my golf game.  I play on fairly hilly courses and have a boat load of back issues so this has really taken the load off.

https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at,-all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

This is the AT version, which I don't believe was available in the U.S., but apparently Costco made a deal with MGI to sell them.  The version available in other golf stores is the regular version.  The only difference is the front wheels are farther apart on the AT version which I like for the stability.  It's been a tank.  It's taken tumbles, hit curbs and other things, but still as reliable as the day I bought it. Its easy to fold up and, although its a bit heavy getting in the car (especially if you forget to take the battery off), its not that bad.

+1 to the MGI. I picked one up this summer and it has been great. My home course is long and had some decent hills and it definitely helps with fatigue (even relative to pushing a cart). I can carry more stuff (mainly fluids) and it helps with pace of play as well. Almost 100 issue free miles on mine now

10 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

+1 to the MGI. I picked one up this summer and it has been great. My home course is long and had some decent hills and it definitely helps with fatigue (even relative to pushing a cart). I can carry more stuff (mainly fluids) and it helps with pace of play as well. Almost 100 issue free miles on mine now

Yeah I should clarify that the tumbles and hit curbs were user error! Likely because of the extra fluids I can easily take now 🙂 HAH

15 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

Yeah I should clarify that the tumbles and hit curbs were user error! Likely because of the extra fluids I can easily take now 🙂 HAH

Yes I have dumped mine a few times getting overly ambitious, mainly with the speed. My only real gripe is the single wheelie bar which can act like a pivot point and spin the cart quickly (non issue if you don't have a hilly course). I saw some folks add a weight to the front to keep it from wheeling so easily so I will likely try that.

5 hours ago, playit said:

If anyone has one with 'follow' mode, chime in on how well it works. Thanks.

This all depends on the unit you buy.  The Stewart uses Bluetooth technology while most others use radio frequency.  The radio frequency is really one directional.  You have to be in a certain location to the cart for it to follow.  Any quick turns and you'll step out of the signal and the cart will stop.  You need to stand in front of those carts for them to work.  With BT it is 360 degrees.  You can be anywhere in relation to the cart, it'll turn toward you and start to follow.  

Mine will stop following sometimes if I walk too fast through long grass/rough/steep uphill and the cart won't keep up and goes out of the BT range.  Once a round or so it'll stop because it hits a big bump and seems to lose signal. No big deal, you just use the remote to bring the cart to you and begin the follow mode again, which is a push off 1 button.

I walk 18 2 to 3 times each week with mine and it works great!

• Like 1

i'm all about getting as much exercise as possible, so I mostly walked and carried my bag for many years.  I also had a Sun Mountain Speed cart for the last 20 years for when I had to carry cold weather gear or rain gear or extra liquids.  The Speed Cart finally bit the dust after many years of service, and I replaced it recently with a Sun Mountain PX-3 three wheeled push cart.  I like it a lot after about 4 rounds of use.  I play on a hilly course and I immediately noticed that I have a lot more energy on the back nine and finish a lot stronger with the PX-3 vs. carrying my bag.  It has all the good features of my old Speed Cart plus it's lighter, pushes easier, has foam tires (not pneumatic) and stores a bit more compactly than the Speed Cart.  I'm happy with it and it seems to be one of the best choices out there for a push cart in terms of quality and performance.  There are cheaper options, but this one works for me and looks good, too.  I'm 67 1/2 and play 3 times per week.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec