Has anyone switched from blade type irons to GI (game improvement) irons?

playit

I am waiting on my GI irons (Takomo 101's). I have a blade set and am currently playing split cavities.

I prefer the blades, but am enjoying my SC's. I want to see what difference, if any it makes. I will likely upgrade my blades when the Haywood MB's come out in lefty.

No idea what my handicap is, but I shoot close to par most days (I don't really keep score). 

Edited by lefthack

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Did this 11 years ago, bought a set of Eye2+, coming from Mizuno MS-11s and Ram Tour Grinds.  Index at the time was 7.

Pings hit higher, with lower spin.  I was a pretty high trajectory player already, the lower spin helped improve my wind play by quite a bit.  Downside, because of my already high trajectory, I developed a 20 yd gap between 9i and pw.

I guess too high is possible, LOL.

Scores didn't move.  After a year, I tried one of my blade sets, played great, no 9i-pw gap, kept them in bag.  Dropped from 7 to 5 by end of year, stayed there the next year before LOFT intervened the year after.

That's how it worked for me, others will have different experience.  Nessism is one who's mentioned it here and there, his switch worked for him better than mine IIRC.

And trying my Pings again.  Hit the ball quite a bit lower now, 9 years later...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

So on tuesday i bought a mint 11 year old 3..pw set of MP62 irons,fresh m31 grips,just got to my field on sat,sun to test.Remind me of J33cb with more mass and thats just Fantastic.Also 3 iron 620Cb to be shafted.

Got 20 degree 7w V steel and 22,4hy G410 also.Over xmas i spent 10plus hours putting practice,grip,pendulum,ball forward,centre,back of Centre and i practice up to 25m putts as i have EyeLine Alignment issues.Had both cataracts and fresh glasses over last 4 years ping pal and Newport 2 both at 34, 340ish grams.917d3 or rapture v1 10.5,nothing low spin.......last summer my best was 4 pars in 9 holes,i do 1hr practice, play 9.Out season just starting and just hit balls first time in 2 months because of covid restrictions,swing seems ok🙂If i can  set my 4hybrid to a High Fade,thats what i need to get to the greens where i play

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

mp62 are easier to hit,semi gi

Then,go thru your bag slowly and work on other gear,make all areas of the bag work,gel well.Overall aim to improve the scoring ability of every club in bag,plus have as close to an Automatic Swing ready for all clubs,howzat?

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I was all set to do this very thing. I am a 1.7 index and im not hitting my iron as well as i once did, so i was going to swallow all ego and go for forgiveness. I tested both the ping 425 irons and the new Titleist t200. with both i consistently hit the ball out to the right. However with the players type cavity i was on target. So i would hit a few before making any switch. These  tests were outside on grass. 

• Like 1

im experimenting with that right now, went from Blades ( nike tour, PXG 0311ST and 620MBs ) to PXG 0311 Ts which are cavity backs and from there I went down the rabbit hole to the  SGI Epon 706, crazy cheater lofts.  its just a experiment though but so far its been fun, my handicap is about a 2- 5 depending on how well im rolling my putts. I really struggle with my iron game but Driver and wedges and putting are my strengths. Im a extremely poor iron player so I need help.....if u saw me warm up with irons u would swear im a 20 cap at best.

Currently trying this as well.  While not blades per se, I have always played more players-type irons that were not hard to hit but not exactly stupid easy either.  Most recent memory: Nike Vapor Pro Combo, Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, New Level 1021, and Mizuno MP-20 HMB.  With the recent crazy deal on PXG I jumped on a set of 0211DC.  I am waiting for them to arrive and hoping to have them in hand this week so I can head to the range before it becomes too cold to use them.   

Generally I find I play about the same with everything when I am swinging well.  Shooting in the low-mid 80s, playing about 5-10x a year.  I opted for the forgiveness while I finish up school and can finally get back into playing more consistently, where I will probably move back into something smaller.  Or who knows, maybe these PXGs will be the ticket and I'll stick with them for a long while.  I have played blades (most recently Titleist 660s I got for a song) and some larger SGI irons (a weird experiment I did with some Maltby heads and trying to make a flighted set of single length clubs with ascending mass-shafts...it was...interesting) and if you hit the middle they all go the same distance and the same flight.  However, that is the key, you have to hit the middle with the blade or else it is a scrubbier flight while the GI will mask that and allow for a halfway respectable flight.

Taylormade SIM 9* - Aldila Rogue Silver

Cobra SpeedZone Tour Big 3 wood - Veylix Arcane

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood - Diamana Thump 85

PXG 0211DC 5-P - Elevate Tour

Titleist SM8 50, 54, 58 - Accra 123i

Bettinardi Prototype/Scotty Cameron T22 Newport

Is there any truth to this... with blades, if you don't hit the sweetspot, you can end up in the front bunker or water guarding the green... with GI irons, it can save that penalty. (I have never played GI irons.)

Maybe I should scrap this idea and just stick with my old Taylormade RAC muscleback irons until I figure out how it is going to go. Also, almost 68 and i figure things are slipping, lol. Haven't played in eight years. Used to be scratch and better. Always had blades except for Ping Eye2's when everybody had them.

I’ve tried multiple times, I’m more consistent with blades. I do hit GI’s further my distances are less consistent and the long and left miss shows up more often though. I still have hope of one day finding a GI set that works well for me.

• Like 1

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

Blades are great - even players cavities are good. There are so many good options these days. However, I need all the help I can get. If everything is firing and automatic, it may not make a difference - but that's 1 of 12 rounds for me. More often than not - I'll slightly miss a shot and the GI club will help in that regard. Perhaps try a GI club with a stiff or heavier shaft that are usually found in players clubs.

Some additional thoughts:

• Are the lofts cranked up? yes
  • Does it matter what the number is on the bottom? no
  • Can you hit more greens? yes (at least it seems like it for me)
  • Will scores go down? maybe (depends more on the putter and tee ball)
  • Like 1

I don't know too many who jumped from traditional blades to player improvement irons.  Blades to player's cavity backs, yes. I have a set of Callaway apex MB and apex Pro combo irons, and have a set of Mizuno MP20 MMC irons.  The MB's are a touch less forgiving and shorter in off-center hits, but it is close.  Would I feel more comfortable carrying 180 over a pond with no room for error with a 6-iron using the MMC vs the MB? Sure.  9-iron from 150?  Not really.

I don't think I really gain anything with the MB clubs; the player's cavities are so good and forgiving these days.  I haven't found a set of GI irons that I love however.  I have been trying like mad to find a GI or SGI 4-iron that would be more forgiving than my MMC MP20 and so far, nothing.    

I tried switching - sort of.  I have Ping i200 irons (I'd classify them as a tour cavity back) and got a set of Ping G425 irons (true game improvement).  Same length, lie, and shaft in both.  I wanted to love the G425's but just couldn't hit them as well as the i200's. Ended up selling them to a friend.  I'm a senior but still high single digit handicap and started out years ago with a set of Wilson Staff irons.  Then went to original Titleist DCI Black, Ping i3 Blades, Ping S58, and finally my i200's.  All these models were fairly thin soles and minimum offset.  I figured at 72 it was time to get some irons that would bail me out on poor swings but it just didn't happen.  Still hitting the i200's well.  

Edited by cristphoto

I am a 4 index, 56 years old and have watched the steady decline in distance in both irons and woods over the years.  I have tried to switch 3 times (at least), and I always come back to blades.  I have played P790, Callaway Rogue, Callaway X20...I mean really made an attempt, but I keep coming back to players irons, titleist CB's were really good, and I now play a 6 year old set of Nike Vapor Pro combo.  I think the nikes are the best combination of a little forgiving but still consistent in distance, ball flight and spin.  In the end, the taylor mades were so hot, and just had too much variability in shot distance.  If I really caught a shot crisp, it would seem to fly forever.  In the end, it is the problem with game improvement.  if your swing speed is too high for the design, you can really catch some flat no spin flyers...and they just kill a decent round.

I am still looking for the magic bullet..a really solid iron with good ball speeds across the face, and very consistent distances across the face.  For me, nothing compares to a cavity back blade or muscle back blade for consistency...and I just accept that I hit them shorter.  wish i didnt, but i just cant swing hard enough anymore.  With the nikes, I hit 7 iron about 165...if i am loose and swinging well at end of round, 5 yards more is max.  I would really like to use a good game improvement, but that distance can jump to 180 average...and then you will catch a bullet train that goes 205...it is so hard to play with those weird jumpers.

• Like 3

I've played blades for many years. I play Hogan Irons currently. I thought i needed some help so i went the Tour Edge C721 route. I played 2 rounds with them and took them back. Couldn't do it. I'm a +3.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

On 10/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, bladehunter said:

Eh.  It’s a rabbit hole.  Don’t expect lower scores.  Will always come down to what you think feels best.  It’s only going to lower your scores if you are the player who can’t get a 5 iron airborne and is afraid of a 7 iron over water. If neither of those worry you , it’s not going to lower your scores. 

edit.  On the flip side. It shouldn’t raise scores either.  I’m not against trying it.  Heck I’m playing a set of GI irons now ( t100 ). Somebody will chime in and tell you they’re not GI. But they’re wrong. They are 😂.  So try it and get it out of your system.  I just feel like you should know that expecting to buy strokes isn’t realistic. There’s not that much difference. 

If the t100's are GI, then how would you classify the t200's?

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

2 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

If the t100's are GI, then how would you classify the t200's?

Game improvement with a wider sole 

• Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

callaway xforged UT 21* ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw  MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Game improvement with a wider sole 

So GIWS?  🙂

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

6 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

So GIWS?  🙂

I guess so.  

in all seriousness.  I consider anything over a traditional MB to be GI.  Then there’s SGI with the huge stuff.  

There are even GI MBs such as the Adam’s mb2 , callaway razr MB etc. 

the T100 specifically is a combo set in my opinion.  The 8-gap is more MB like than the two MBs I listed above. The sole slices , and they’re small , relatively.  Then the 3-7 iron gets progressively bigger , and wider.  Definitely offering launch help.  They’re a really good iron for a guy who hates a big iron , but isn’t getting to play 4-5 times a week anymore.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

callaway xforged UT 21* ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw  MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

33 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I guess so.  

in all seriousness.  I consider anything over a traditional MB to be GI.  Then there’s SGI with the huge stuff.  

There are even GI MBs such as the Adam’s mb2 , callaway razr MB etc. 

the T100 specifically is a combo set in my opinion.  The 8-gap is more MB like than the two MBs I listed above. The sole slices , and they’re small , relatively.  Then the 3-7 iron gets progressively bigger , and wider.  Definitely offering launch help.  They’re a really good iron for a guy who hates a big iron , but isn’t getting to play 4-5 times a week anymore.  

Talk about a rabbit hole. :classic_wink:

But you're "right". Blades are NGI (NO Game Improvement :classic_smile:) so I guess anything any more forgiving WOULD be GI. :classic_laugh:

But to be a bit more specific, blades would be,,,,,, well,,,,, blades.

Your T100s would be PCB (Player's Cavity Backs), T300 GI and T400 SGI (SuperGI). T200 is kinda sorta the new "hybrid" category, the Distance/Hollow GI. (Think TM P770 and P790).

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrids 17*, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

On 10/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, playit said:

Is there any truth to this... with blades, if you don't hit the sweetspot, you can end up in the front bunker or water guarding the green... with GI irons, it can save that penalty. (I have never played GI irons.)

Yes.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrids 17*, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

On 10/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, playit said:

Maybe I should scrap this idea and just stick with my old Taylormade RAC muscleback irons until I figure out how it is going to go. Also, almost 68 and i figure things are slipping, lol. Haven't played in eight years. Used to be scratch and better. Always had blades except for Ping Eye2's when everybody had them.

In my experience, maybe.  I've played a number of different sets, they all have weaknesses on mishits.  And some forget, blades have MOI also; its not like putting a cavity in the back suddenly jumps the forgiveness a couple magnitudes.  

Used to experiment on the course with blade vs CB, on par 3's (harder to intentionally mishit than you'd think).  At 30* loft, didn't see much difference, you could lay a towel over the shots.  Drop loft into the low 20s, like a 3i/4i, the toe hit would be saved a bit more.  Still coming up short most of the time, but somewhat more often saved with the bigger CBs.

Heel misses always turned out better with blades.  The CBs would give these squirrelly shank-appearing results, without actually hitting the hosel.  The blades would be straighter, and sometimes lose less distance.

High on the face was always better with CB's.  Not much metal there on a blade.  😉

There are differences between CB sets...  low toe is better with ISI than with Eye2, as one example.

Disclaimer:  I've never hit G410 and later, or G700 series Pings.  I *have* done this with a friend's G20s, though. 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

What it came down to for me was lie adjustment and turf interaction. I have tried everything from sgi(Cleveland launcher, cobra trail,etc) gi( sim, maverick, radspeed,etc) even the players distance stuff(p790,699pro,pxg 0311t). If I can hit them pure they are great but I tend to get quite steep and take a healthy divot. All of those types of clubs either loose lots of ball speed coming through the turf or they bounce and I thin it. 

If you pick the ball cleanly all the time no divots they can improve distance for most shoots. I currently play new level 623 m 6-pw and Mizuno mp20 hmb 4-5. 

Im also only getting about 150 yards from 6i 

11 hours ago, dreid65 said:

In the end, the taylor mades were so hot, and just had too much variability in shot distance.  If I really caught a shot crisp, it would seem to fly forever.  In the end, it is the problem with game improvement.  if your swing speed is too high for the design, you can really catch some flat no spin flyers...and they just kill a decent round.

I feel so seen right now, it's like you're speaking to the inner depths of my soul.  I've always thought this was just me.  I still love my Speedblades, but you're right, they really open up for a "full Bryson" if all the stars align and you rip it.

TaylorMade JetSpeed
TaylorMade RBZ 14.5* and 18*
TaylorMade RBZ 4H 22*
TaylorMade SpeedBlade's
588 RTX 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty California Monterey