Most Fade Bias Driver Setup… Go!

HitBombs

Hey guys. Figured a lot of you would enjoy this topic so here we go. I want to know your opinion on which Driver set ups would be the most fade bias. Some factors that more then likely would influence fade bias would be 

1. “Lower” setting in any current driver adapter

2. If the driver had a back track with a movable weight, putting that in the most fade setting

3. Stiff tip shaft with lower torque

some other factors could include a more fade bias head (callaway Triple diamond, G425 LST, OG Sim)

another could be an OEM that normally makes their heads with flatter lies or has an option to make the lie flatter aka G425, or red dot adapter for a callaway head.

another could be adding hotmelt to create a bias, someone probably knows this better then me but in my experience I haven’t seen hotmelt create a left/right bias unless adding around 7g or more. Added 10g to a epic speed fairway wood in the toe and definitely noticed. 

In your opinion if you had to create the most fade bias driver setup, what would it be? If I’ve missed anything feel free to chime in. Look forward to hearing your opinions. 

mine would likely be:

callaway epic (flash) 9* triple diamond

back track in full fade setting
-1N in red dot adapter

ventus black 7X

or 

G425 LST 9*

back track (CG shifter) in fade 

-1F setting (3 degrees flatter lie)

ventus black 7x

• Like 1

OG SIM 8*

-weight track set to toe side cranked open to the max

-PX Hulk TX(small batch)/Ventus Black 7TX/Diamana PD 70TX

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Tip stiffness has very little to do with shot direction.  All it does is kinda-sorta regulate how much dynamic loft you are presenting at the ball.  

The most fade biased driver setup I have ever seen in person was one of Vijay Singh's backup drivers.  It was a Hibore or Hibore XL (can't remember), it was bent 4-5* open had a Victory cord grip built up to what felt like Jumbo and the grip was put on open.  It looked like the driver pointed dead right.  It also had what I thought was the stiffest shaft in the world at the time.  It was an ion-band Diamana Whiteboard 83x that felt like it was tipped to length.  It had no give in it whatsoever.  

For current drivers, you aren't going to get much scarier for the average slicer than something like an original SIM 8* cranked 2* open, weight all the way into the toe, set up a bit long and heavy, with a really counterbalanced and heavy shaft like a Hulk 70TX or Tensei Pro Orange 70TX playing around D5.  That thing will feel like a sledgehammer and have very little sensation of rotation through the ball.  

Probably the most fade biased stock driver I ever saw was the R9 BBLB Superdeep TP.  The head on the thing was the size of an apple and the ball looked bigger than it.  Jam it wide open with the heavy toe weight and a counterbalanced shaft and that would be enough to haunt any normal 15 handicap enough they'd never pull driver ever again.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 9* - Aldila Rogue Silver

Cobra SpeedZone Tour Big 3 wood - Veylix Arcane

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood - Diamana Thump 85

PXG 0211DC 5-P - Elevate Tour

Titleist SM8 50, 54, 58 - Accra 123i

Bettinardi Prototype/Scotty Cameron T22 Newport

TSi3 in C1 hosel setting with the rear weight removed and an equivalent amount of lead tape (8g standard) added way out towards the toe. Add a heavy/stiff shaft of your choice.

If you’re turning that setup over too much, I don’t know what else to do. 

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant - Diamana Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Cobra LTD Pro in 7.5F setting.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* VA Comp Nemesys 65X
Titleist TS2 16.5* (set to 15.75*) FW Tensei AV Blue 75X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Hybrid PX Evenflow Riptide 85H 6.5
PXG 0311X 4 Utility Iron Nippon Pro Modus 3 105S

Callaway Apex 21 5-AW DG 120 Tour Issue S400
Cobra King Black 54* Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Cobra King Black 58* Nippon Modus Wedge 115
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12 Custom 34.5”

Any taylormade driver with moveable weight and an adjustable hosel. 

M1/M3/M5 with the loft sleeve turned all the way down. Weight all the way in the toe. Maybe throw a hulk green TX shaft in there for fun.

TM M1 440 2017 - Tensei White 60 - 44.5"

TEE CBX119 13.5* - Hzrdus Smoke Black 60 - 43"

TEE CBX119 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 - 41"

MP-32 3-PW (23*-48*) - Nippon SP Blue

SM8 54F - Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

SM8 60T - Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Nike Method 003

OG Sim.  End of discussion… most fade biased head I’ve ever swung in 25 years of golf.  You can shaft that head with a pool noodle and it will still manage to fade. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

Most recent adjustable head I’d say SIM(can’t refer to something that came out 2 years ago as “OG”). Most fade driver with out weight adjustability is for sure the LTD pro in the lower and flat setting.

TSI3 @ 7.25* - Ventus black 7x
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Honma 737v 4-P - Modus 120tx
RTX Zipcore 52* & 56* - X100

Scotty Cameron Catalina Two

4 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Tip stiffness has very little to do with shot direction.  All it does is kinda-sorta regulate how much dynamic loft you are presenting at the ball.  

The most fade biased driver setup I have ever seen in person was one of Vijay Singh's backup drivers.  It was a Hibore or Hibore XL (can't remember), it was bent 4-5* open had a Victory cord grip built up to what felt like Jumbo and the grip was put on open.  It looked like the driver pointed dead right.  It also had what I thought was the stiffest shaft in the world at the time.  It was an ion-band Diamana Whiteboard 83x that felt like it was tipped to length.  It had no give in it whatsoever.  

For current drivers, you aren't going to get much scarier for the average slicer than something like an original SIM 8* cranked 2* open, weight all the way into the toe, set up a bit long and heavy, with a really counterbalanced and heavy shaft like a Hulk 70TX or Tensei Pro Orange 70TX playing around D5.  That thing will feel like a sledgehammer and have very little sensation of rotation through the ball.  

Probably the most fade biased stock driver I ever saw was the R9 BBLB Superdeep TP.  The head on the thing was the size of an apple and the ball looked bigger than it.  Jam it wide open with the heavy toe weight and a counterbalanced shaft and that would be enough to haunt any normal 15 handicap enough they'd never pull driver ever again.

love the insight, 

I always thought that torque was the twisting of the club head left/right not up/down as in club face direction not loft. 

Cleveland TL 310 has a stock open face head and stout stock Miyazaki shaft, definitely a fade biased driver.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

In my experience, I have found that the stiffer and lower torque in the shaft, the more the ball wants to go left?  I have always had an easier time hitting slices with a lighter flex shaft.  Am I wrong about something here because that's just what I've noticed?

• Like 3

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

1 hour ago, HitBombs said:

Forgot about the TX in Ventus. 

Had the 6x hulk pvd and my buddy had a 7tx and that thing was a pipe. 

I've had the Diamana PD and Ventus Black 7x as my gamers.  I tested the Hulk 7TX and Ventus Black 7TX.  All 3 are rebar. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

33 minutes ago, jbandalo said:

Any Ping LST model.  

even more so than OG sim? This one had been on my radar for awhile, seems like a lot of people love it. 

have a epic flash triple diamond as my current gamer. 9* N setting. Weight slightly fade bias, Ventus blue 6x tipped a half inch. 

Want to try something a little more fade bias for fun. Ideally getting a head with more loft like a 10.5 Sim and putting it in full lower will be fun to try. Think if I went 9 and in the full lower setting I’d just hit absolute bullets. 

6 minutes ago, HitBombs said:

have you hit your OG sim against an LST head? 

I have and the OG SIM to me seems to be slightly more fade biased.  I've tested the G410 LST head though, not the G425 version. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

6 hours ago, WristySwing said:

I LOVED the R9 Superdeep!!!!  My "I'm in college and great shape from playing football" setup was one of those with an 83x OG Whiteboard.  I hit some of the longest drives of my life with that- now, which fairway the ball landed in....that was not entirely known until the ball actually came down lol.

3 hours ago, HitBombs said:

even more so than OG sim? This one had been on my radar for awhile, seems like a lot of people love it. 

When it comes to "fade biased" we have a couple different factors to consider. The PINGs tend to be more fade biased by face angle as they often sit very open. The 410 LST and Plus heads were also fade biased in terms of CG placement as well (slightly toe side). The OG SIM has a fade biased CG as well, but in my experience sit more square with the adjustability allowing you to take it either way in terms of face angle. 

The OG SIM setups described above would definitely get my vote for the most fade biased setup available, but i'd also throw in the G410 LST with the weight in the toe as being a more forgiving version of something equally fade biased. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

5 hours ago, HitBombs said:

love the insight, 

I always thought that torque was the twisting of the club head left/right not up/down as in club face direction not loft. 

Torque doesn't even do that!  Torque is entirely feel in a shaft, as in how much loading and unloading sensation you get.  The shaft stiffness has no bearing whatsoever in where a ball will go, all things equal.  A robot will hit a junior shaft just as straight as a XXXXX tipped 3".  It is all about how the shaft feels and then how *you* react to that sensation.

5 hours ago, joelco said:

In my experience, I have found that the stiffer and lower torque in the shaft, the more the ball wants to go left?  I have always had an easier time hitting slices with a lighter flex shaft.  Am I wrong about something here because that's just what I've noticed?

You're not wrong and you're not right.  Shaft influence on ball flight is entirely dependent on the person.  Some people hit soft feeling shafts as slices, others hook them.  It all depends on the player's swing and how that sensation translates into them manipulating the club face and swing plane to accommodate that feeling to get the club back to square.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Torque doesn't even do that!  Torque is entirely feel in a shaft, as in how much loading and unloading sensation you get.  The shaft stiffness has no bearing whatsoever in where a ball will go, all things equal.  A robot will hit a junior shaft just as straight as a XXXXX tipped 3".  It is all about how the shaft feels and then how *you* react to that sensation.

The robot will hit the junior shaft higher and with more spin, however.  

The whole "how you react to the feel" argument is speculative, at best.  The shaft reacts to your swing, not the other way around.

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2