Nashville Private Club Availability

cubuffs

After a brief two-year move to New England for a job opportunity, my family and I will be relocating back to Nashville potentially as soon as early January. Prior to leaving, I was a member at a club in Brentwood (name withheld) that has since accumulated a 2+ year waiting list - sounds like this is pretty much common everywhere.  Unfortunately I was told former member status has no bearing, so trying to assess what clubs have any type of availability in the short term? Golf is a big part of our life, I have a high-level junior player who is in his junior year in high school so facility where he can continue to practice daily is going to be a big requirement.

Can anyone with feet on the ground give me any potential leads, going to start calling around this week but just figured I would ask the community.

17 hours ago, airjammer said:

I’d look into the grove. I’ve heard they are accepting non homeowners as members currently. You need a member to sponsor you and I’m not sure on the wait times. 

I have it from a member and good friend that the Grove is no longer accepting those who don't live in the community.

Hi, Cubuffs, my wife and I just moved to Nashville, Sylvan Park.  I have checked most of the clubs within a reasonable driving distance.  Although a bit far for me, when I started inquiring June/July, Vanderbilt Legends club was taking new members.  Seemed like a good deal, two courses and lower entry price than any of the clubs closer to me.  Spoke with "Kerry Bebick"(SP).  Tried to speak with Richland CC, Hillwood CC.  Hillwood responded with information I requested, wait list, need three members to recommend you for membership, have to join as a social member while you are on the wait list. I tried to get a tour of the course and facilities but got no response.   Got the finger from Richland, no response to phone calls to the membership director, no response to emails to the membership director.  Moved from Austin, where the courses are now full, but very different treatment toward potential members. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terp1 said:

Hi, Cubuffs, my wife and I just moved to Nashville, Sylvan Park.  I have checked most of the clubs within a reasonable driving distance.  Although a bit far for me, when I started inquiring June/July, Vanderbilt Legends club was taking new members.  Seemed like a good deal, two courses and lower entry price than any of the clubs closer to me.  Spoke with "Kerry Bebick"(SP).  Tried to speak with Richland CC, Hillwood CC.  Hillwood responded with information I requested, wait list, need three members to recommend you for membership, have to join as a social member while you are on the wait list. I tried to get a tour of the course and facilities but got no response.   Got the finger from Richland, no response to phone calls to the membership director, no response to emails to the membership director.  Moved from Austin, where the courses are now full, but very different treatment toward potential members. 

Things will turn at some point, and I have to think a lot of people will remember how they were treated now.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:21 AM, terp1 said:

Terp1 - thanks for the response.  I have reached out to Legends (my son used to take lessons there and we know several members) and they are currently on a wait list and you have to pay monthly while on the list.  It does provide access to the range, and you can play a limited amount throughout the year but it did seem quite high overall.  I guess this is just the process now given the supply and demand.  Hope you are enjoying the move, we are excited to get back.

8 hours ago, cubuffs said:

Terp1 - thanks for the response.  I have reached out to Legends (my son used to take lessons there and we know several members) and they are currently on a wait list and you have to pay monthly while on the list.  It does provide access to the range, and you can play a limited amount throughout the year but it did seem quite high overall.  I guess this is just the process now given the supply and demand.  Hope you are enjoying the move, we are excited to get back.

@cubuffsyou now have to pay a monthly to be on the waitlist at Legends?  Wow

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming back to the topic.  So here is the latest that I have found...

Nashville Golf - not worth it, long wait list that has several back doors, but not for former members unless...  Course is not in good shape, having played it, too many members not taking care of the course.  As a former member, this one hurts...

Legends - waitlist is now closed, but may be opening in early 2022

Natchez - Open and willing to accommodate situations.  Good membership and membership director.  Would love to be a member but location for us doesn't exactly work.

Governors Club - based on where we are living - most likely our option.  Small waiting list, and club making improvements that fit what we need. 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, gorthtj23 said:

what type of improvements is Governor's club making? 

Making improvements to the outside pool area and putting in a large outdoor bar and entertainment area.  For my Wife and I and hosting social/business events, this will be another nice to have.

• 5 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, cubuffs said:

Coming back to the topic.  So here is the latest that I have found...

Nashville Golf - not worth it, long wait list that has several back doors, but not for former members unless...  Course is not in good shape, having played it, too many members not taking care of the course.  As a former member, this one hurts...

Legends - waitlist is now closed, but may be opening in early 2022

Natchez - Open and willing to accommodate situations.  Good membership and membership director.  Would love to be a member but location for us doesn't exactly work.

Governors Club - based on where we are living - most likely our option.  Small waiting list, and club making improvements that fit what we need. 

Did you ever consider Troubadour?

25 minutes ago, ALo314 said:

Did you ever consider Troubadour?

I didn't as I thought the Discovery Land angle and potentially having to own a property would be well out of my price range.  I also think the substantially softened the course - used to love it when it was Hideaway (outside the of the par 3 6th).

I live 5 min from Troubadour. Wish I could still get on.  Hideaway was awesome. Played it lots.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Troubador lots start @ $3M I believe. 

Legends: "It looks like the waitlist will reopen near the end of summer/early fall.  We are only offering one membership classification now, see attached."

Entry: $45K

Single Monthly: $645

Family Monthly: $763

Another reason to say Nashville private and public golf is a joke. You can join Victoria National which is 1000x better than legends for cheaper.

Edited by kobe123

17 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

Troubador lots start @ $3M I believe. 

Legends: "It looks like the waitlist will reopen near the end of summer/early fall.  We are only offering one membership classification now, see attached."

Entry: $45K

Single Monthly: $645

Family Monthly: $763

Another reason to say Nashville private and public golf is a joke. You can join Victoria National which is 1000x better than legends for cheaper.

Yeah but that’s the difference in living In Nashville vs no-where, Indiana. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

I am sure you are aware but Nashville real estate appreciation is between 20-25% in just the last year. There is simply no "highest and best use" argument for developing a golf course when the median home price is almost $500k. I know that doesn't change the argument that these private courses are asking a lot of money for what they are but as long as they have a mile long wait list, they might as well charge as much as they can get? I wish it were different. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

37 minutes ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

I am sure you are aware but Nashville real estate appreciation is between 20-25% in just the last year. There is simply no "highest and best use" argument for developing a golf course when the median home price is almost $500k. I know that doesn't change the argument that these private courses are asking a lot of money for what they are but as long as they have a mile long wait list, they might as well charge as much as they can get? I wish it were different. 

I don't disagree, supply and demand. With this, I just don't think $45K and $600-800/mo is worth it in 99% of cases. I can go play a lot of the top 100 courses for that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

I don't disagree, supply and demand. With this, I just don't think $45K and $600-800/mo is worth it in 99% of cases. I can go play a lot of the top 100 courses for that.

I agree there are better deals elsewhere.  That’s just it, I ain’t moving elsewhere.  For golf, it would be great.  For my family and life, no thanks. I am born and raised here, a true unicorn in Nashville but it is what it is.   Like was said as long as the wait lists continue to be there for these insane prices, why would they lower them? I won’t be buying unfortunately 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have up-to-date fees and membership level options for Hillwood CC? They wouldn’t give me any figures and said I had to go through a member. I can do that but didn’t want to embarrass myself if the fees are way beyond what I imagine. Just looking for a ballpark and if there is a membership level for a young family (younger than 40).

Driver: Ping G400 Max 9° (Ping Tour 65 Stiff)
FW: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3W 15° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff), Titleist TSR2 7W 21° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff)

Irons: Ping i210 4-PW (TT DG S300)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56.12D Raw (TT DG S200), SM8 50.08F Raw (TT DG S200), 60.08M Raw (TT DG S300)

Putter: White Hot OG #7S Stroke Lab 
Bag: 2021 Ping Hoofer Lite (Grey/Navy/Scarlet)

3 hours ago, unprecedented_three said:

Does anyone have up-to-date fees and membership level options for Hillwood CC? They wouldn’t give me any figures and said I had to go through a member. I can do that but didn’t want to embarrass myself if the fees are way beyond what I imagine. Just looking for a ballpark and if there is a membership level for a young family (younger than 40).

Yes, I believe it's around $100K entry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kobe123 said:

jesus

3 hours ago, kobe123 said:

And the waitlist for golf is approximately 30 families deep so probably at least a two year wait there. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Thanks, all. Definitely out of my reach. That initiation fee is insane.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 9° (Ping Tour 65 Stiff)
FW: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3W 15° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff), Titleist TSR2 7W 21° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff)

Irons: Ping i210 4-PW (TT DG S300)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56.12D Raw (TT DG S200), SM8 50.08F Raw (TT DG S200), 60.08M Raw (TT DG S300)

Putter: White Hot OG #7S Stroke Lab 
Bag: 2021 Ping Hoofer Lite (Grey/Navy/Scarlet)

12 minutes ago, pearcebarr said:

Does anyone know if the clubs in Nashville allow you to own your membership so you can sell it one day?

I'm having a hard time seeing how anyone can justify flushing $100,000 down the drain just to play some ok golf courses and eat overcooked steaks...

Not that I’m aware of and you nailed the problems. I get it. A lot of folks living in Nashville aren’t from around here. And country club rules as they have existed for years here are adapting to the new folks moving here.  With that comes inflated prices that we have never seen here.  $10k-ish used to get you in just about anywhere but Golf Club and Richland.  $10k now won’t get you much of anything. 

That sign that says don’t California my Tennessee has certainly happened to the private golf community.  Not that it’s specifically to California but you get my point

Edited by Minarets