2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Creative ways to fix early extension

rballantyne1

I've recently been doing the swiss ball drill at home to help fix early extension - https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqVQ3qFo1E/.

The drill makes a lot of sense to me and really helps me get the hip depth on the downswing, unfortunately though... I can't do this on the driving range due to facility limitations.

I'm looking for a training aid that I can attach to my bag that I can rest my butt against for feedback whilst hitting balls. I was wondering if anyone had managed to fashion anything that solves for this, I once saw a guy on the range with a piece of foam that was attached to his bag but it looked like a homemade contraption.

• Haha 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

So I had a 'mini' breakthrough today, I ended up trying to use my golf bag as a prop and get the feeling that I squatted into my left side (and the golf bag) and actually added flex to my left knee.

This 100% helped the start of the movement and not early extending but I'm still early extending towards the end, watching the video back I'm still not getting my left hip back far enough. Any advice, as anytime I try and get the left hip back I end up pushing against the ground and straightening the leg too early

1 hour ago, rballantyne1 said:

So I had a 'mini' breakthrough today, I ended up trying to use my golf bag as a prop and get the feeling that I squatted into my left side (and the golf bag) and actually added flex to my left knee.

This 100% helped the start of the movement and not early extending but I'm still early extending towards the end, watching the video back I'm still not getting my left hip back far enough. Any advice, as anytime I try and get the left hip back I end up pushing against the ground and straightening the leg too early

The early extension could very well be a reaction to a club shaft / club face that is out of position.  Practicing with props won't help much unless you fix the way you deliver the club.  If you have a tendency to pull your lead arm towards the ball on the downswing, the club face will be open to the path late into the downswing and the only way to contact the ball on your intended line is to stand the shaft up and roll the clubface into impact at the bottom.  If the shaft is much higher at impact than it is at address, you will early extend to compensate and allow this, (you need to early extend to reach the ball).  Another poster suggested the split grip drill and said it was nearly impossible to forfeit posture....well, this is because the split grip drill forces your lead arm down inside the ball, squares the face to the path earlier and tips the club head out towards the ball all things that allow you to rotate through impact.  If you want to fix your early extension, stop focusing on your arse and fix your hand path.   (hint...from a DTL view, your arm on the downswing should point more towards your toes and less towards the ball)

Edited by DShepley
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, liquorandpoker said:

7:55 of this video.  The key is to push the hips back - trail hip on backswing, lead hip on through swing.  So for right handed golfer push the right hip socket back on backswing and left hip socket back through the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyxWRHeiYXM

Cheers for this, that feeling of pushing the hips back is what I was trying to do today but everytime I did it on the downswing I was just early extending and straightening the left leg too early. To push the right hip back are you consciously pushing off the ground to do this?

1 hour ago, Gawbage_man said:

I always wondered if EE was the sickness or the symptom.

Well we're always told it's mostly a symptom but I do wonder if you've been doing it your whole life you really do have to teach your body and sense of balance a different way to move even if the club is in the right position.  Also, I don't see how hip flexibility wouldn't play into it as well making it just functionally difficult to not have some movement off that "line" regardless for some people.

Edited by chigolfer1

2 hours ago, Gawbage_man said:

I always wondered if EE was the sickness or the symptom.

In my personal experience the steep shaft and EE go hand-in-hand and I haven't found that fixing one results in curing the other. They both have to happen together - perhaps one more so than the other for some people, but still both. A player who never learned what it feels like to be shallow will struggle to get the club on a better plane, even while trying their hardest to prevent EE and, as such, end up extending later. A player who never learned what it feels like to regain flexion will struggle to pivot correctly, even while trying their hardest to not steepen the shaft and, as such, end up steepening later. Others may have different experiences but for me and others I know who've struggled with the same, learning to regain flexion in a proper pivot and to shallow the shaft on the correct plane have to be worked on in tandem.

3 hours ago, rballantyne1 said:

Cheers for this, that feeling of pushing the hips back is what I was trying to do today but everytime I did it on the downswing I was just early extending and straightening the left leg too early. To push the right hip back are you consciously pushing off the ground to do this?

You are pushing BACK as much as up.  Actually you are pushing away from the momentum and "pull" of the club, which is pulling down and away from you.  So you are offsetting the force generated by the club.  

And to clarify, you straighten the leg (meaning reduce the flex), but it doesn't snap straight or even straighten all the way necessarily.

Hope this helps.  When I first saw this video my brain almost melted

On 10/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, liquorandpoker said:

You are pushing BACK as much as up.  Actually you are pushing away from the momentum and "pull" of the club, which is pulling down and away from you.  So you are offsetting the force generated by the club.  

And to clarify, you straighten the leg (meaning reduce the flex), but it doesn't snap straight or even straighten all the way necessarily.

Hope this helps.  When I first saw this video my brain almost melted

Thanks, is there an element of turn before the push off?

I've been told to make sure my left knee is the first move, but not sure if I do this through feeling like I'm turning or just flicking the left knee out.

This video below seems to indicate it's a turn first?

Edited by rballantyne1
Mistype

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Make a concerted effort to move the center of your chest toward the ground (down) in transition. You cannot EE if your chest moves down in transition. Well, it's really, really hard to...

Think there’s some truth to this, not tried..

I’m trying to focus on my tailbone, in particular to get it moving left and back on the bs, and to the right AND NOT FORWARDS, on the ds.  (For a right hander). Seems to prevent my typical left hip slide leaving my torso behind 

On 10/19/2021 at 6:41 AM, liquorandpoker said:

7:55 of this video.  The key is to push the hips back - trail hip on backswing, lead hip on through swing.  So for right handed golfer push the right hip socket back on backswing and left hip socket back through the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyxWRHeiYXM

There is another thread floating around here with Malaska and Cogorno, which shows this same move. This is the end all be all in my opinion. Push your front hip socket back when your hands feel like they are at P6 / at your back hip and voila, no more EE. Do it slow at first with your weight on front foot and video yourself. Problem solved...

11 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Think there’s some truth to this, not tried..

I’m trying to focus on my tailbone, in particular to get it moving left and back on the bs, and to the right AND NOT FORWARDS, on the ds.  (For a right hander). Seems to prevent my typical left hip slide leaving my torso behind 

I just recently started this move. I did it as a trial after seeing that I continually struggle with a slightly raised head (and torso and hips) at the top and don't always get my head back down to where it was at setup. Looked at a ton of tour swings and EVERYONE had a lower head at impact than at address. I tried the squat move and it just doesnt work for me. If I try to do anything active with the lower half then I fail. I have to find ways to do things without a focus on the lower body for specific movements. My lower body will run away. 

So I tried lowering my chest in transition. I saw

1. Head either at the same level or lower than at address

2. I covered the ball really well

3. I naturally POSTED UP into my lead leg at impact. I had less lateral movement and less lead leg knee droop at impact. 

4. Super solid contact and even better compression than before

This will be what my instructor and i work on in a couple of weeks. Have to see what the club is doing as a result of this move to see if I need a tweak to backswing handpath or anything else. Gotta make sure the matchups are still on point. 

Early extension comes about because in the downswing the golfer is anxious to get the clubhead to the ball, or he is trying to increase the clubhead's speed as it is approaching the ball.

If you will do this one thing, it will prove to you a valuable yet counterintuitive lesson about the golf swing. The lesson you will learn is; (a) using muscular force to drive the clubhead results in early extension and (b) using muscular force to drive the clubhead actually slows down the clubhead's speed, and (c) the unencumbered release phase is what actually produces the miraculous clubhead speed at impact in a sound golf swing. 

The next time you go the the range to practice - do your dead level best to have your clubhead just coast into the ball at impact from 12" before impact to 12" after impact. In other words the clubhead is not accelerating nor decelerating during that 24" travel period where impact takes place. This will only be accomplished by you controlling your arms and hands to meet this 'coasting' objective. (In the beginning you're going to feel like you're not doing enough or exerting enough effort.) When you can accomplish this task you will bring about a free release - like how a wheat threshing flail tool (pictured below) is supposed to be used. A flail action is what a golf swing should mimic. This is what allows the golfer's wrist c0ck angles to properly release, which in-turn drastically speed's up the clubhead.  Maybe you can imagine if you were to try to speed up the end of the flail by using muscular force when swinging it, how that would cause two detrimental things to happen to the flail's action - (1) early extension and (2) slowing down the flail's speed.         

I hope this helps!

flail-wheat    

Edited by Hocus_Pocus
grammar

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.