2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220

AtlantaGolf3

1 hour ago, sanzo said:

Maybe I'm too naive here  but is a stiff flex not meant for faster swings  ? But then a lighter flex shaft is for higher swing speed too?

A stiff flex is meant for faster swings, but, with a 95 mph 7 iron, a stiff flex may not be stout enough for you, though your 225 yds with a Ping G400M would indicate something isn't quite right.  Your best bet is to go do a driver fitting. 

17 hours ago, sanzo said:

Well I get about 225 yrds on my ping g400M if thats a Better Indication  it was a 60g S flex tho still felt a bit loose for a S  I think I am going to try to sell it now before iv even hit it as even if I was to get another heavier shaft I'd still have to buy a whole new driver just to get the shaft  

Are you only hitting your G400 DRIVER 225?

5 hours ago, aquapig said:

Are you only hitting your G400 DRIVER 225?

Yes that's a good distance   I have got to 270+ about 5 times  but average it would be about 225 - 240  the shaft is 44 and it's labeled as a S but it does not feel like it  more like R   so now I have a new driver ( stz220 50R ) and the shaft probaly isn't right for that either  so 2 drivers  2 different weight and  flex shafts and no peace of mind cause I can't get a shaft fitting  actually really annoyed now I even bought the stz as I just know that shaft is too light too

21 hours ago, bellken said:

A stiff flex is meant for faster swings, but, with a 95 mph 7 iron, a stiff flex may not be stout enough for you, though your 225 yds with a Ping G400M would indicate something isn't quite right.  Your best bet is to go do a driver fitting. 

Hmm I am so behind on all this.. so  is 95 mph for a 7i fast or slow in average ?  Do you mean I might be more suited to somthing stiffer than stiff like extra stiff?  I regret not doing a fitting now  the only reason I didn't is because I'd have to buy the driver and it would be the latest one and also about half a grand  us there anyway I could do something to determine the shaft I should use then just swap the shaft?

2 hours ago, sanzo said:

Hmm I am so behind on all this.. so  is 95 mph for a 7i fast or slow in average ?  Do you mean I might be more suited to somthing stiffer than stiff like extra stiff?  I regret not doing a fitting now  the only reason I didn't is because I'd have to buy the driver and it would be the latest one and also about half a grand  us there anyway I could do something to determine the shaft I should use then just swap the shaft?

The PGA Tour average for a 7 iron is 90 mph. Very likely, you need an extra stiff shaft, but, your driving distance with your Ping G400M (225 yrds) would put you into the upper end of regular flex shafts. So, something isn't quite right, and, your best bet is go get fitted. You need someone with some expertise to see you swing. 

17 hours ago, sanzo said:

My guess is you must have some bad data and you don't swing a 7 iron 95mph.

Even if you aren't in the perfect shaft, with that kind of crazy swing speed and wouldn't be averaging 225 with your driver.

Forget swing speed..How far do you hit your 7 iron?

On 3/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, aquapig said:

My guess is you must have some bad data and you don't swing a 7 iron 95mph.

Even if you aren't in the perfect shaft, with that kind of crazy swing speed and wouldn't be averaging 225 with your driver.

Forget swing speed..How far do you hit your 7 iron?

I went for a irons fitting once and was told 95 mph for a 7i but now I think he said wrong or I misheard him.. but I can get about 150 yrds in a 7i full strike..  I do really need to get a fitting but I'm in a real pickle right now  and tbh it's affecting me mentally lol  this is why-- IV already bought the stz 220 online without a fitting based on reviews on the head here ect but now that iv got it I'm hear sure the 50g R flex is far too light for me  ( yes, this is without hitting it as I may have to resell it as new )  so now I'm stuck with this shaft ( 60g S in the ping) and I'm torn between getting a new shaft or selling it  and getting a proper fitting for the new 230 which is twice the price  argghh I don't know as iv no experience in shafts/ fittings that's why iv asked for help here from those in the know    with the ping I can hit it 225 - 240 sometimes more   I just feel the R 50g  will be too light and less control -- for those that just guessed a shaft and didn't work out what's the best thing to do as Iv looked up separate shafts and for some reason they are as expensive as the whole driver!  What's the best way to go about finding the right shaft is all I need to know without buying a new driver ( again)

2 hours ago, sanzo said:

I went for a irons fitting once and was told 95 mph for a 7i but now I think he said wrong or I misheard him.. but I can get about 150 yrds in a 7i full strike..  I do really need to get a fitting but I'm in a real pickle right now  and tbh it's affecting me mentally lol  this is why-- IV already bought the stz 220 online without a fitting based on reviews on the head here ect but now that iv got it I'm hear sure the 50g R flex is far too light for me  ( yes, this is without hitting it as I may have to resell it as new )  so now I'm stuck with this shaft ( 60g S in the ping) and I'm torn between getting a new shaft or selling it  and getting a proper fitting for the new 230 which is twice the price  argghh I don't know as iv no experience in shafts/ fittings that's why iv asked for help here from those in the know    with the ping I can hit it 225 - 240 sometimes more   I just feel the R 50g  will be too light and less control -- for those that just guessed a shaft and didn't work out what's the best thing to do as Iv looked up separate shafts and for some reason they are as expensive as the whole driver!  What's the best way to go about finding the right shaft is all I need to know without buying a new driver ( again)

The best way to finding the right shaft is by getting fit. When you go get fit, you could find out your ball speed, club head speed, launch angle and, spin with your driver. 

The new driver you bought might work for you, but, you will need to try it to find out. What we know about you is based on what you have written - 95 mph w/7 iron, 225-240 w/driver, 150 yds w/7 iron. The 95 mph w/7 iron doesn't seem to fit in with the other numbers, which, is why I have suggested going to get fit.

The golf season is about to start, and, very likely there will be demo days, where, you can try new equipment. I would suggest attending one of these to learn how fast you swing, and, they will make equipment suggestions based on what they see. 

On 3/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, sanzo said:

ok so throw out the 95 mph 7 iron..sounds like bad data.

Go hit your new driver and see how it performs. Be realistic about expectations. 

As suggested, go to some demo days or go to your local golf store where we can try some different shafts and get some data.

Fittings can be good..but might not be necessary.

Definitely don't sell something you just bought until you've hit it and figure out if the shaft is correct. 

Good luck

On 3/13/2023 at 1:34 PM, aquapig said:

ok so throw out the 95 mph 7 iron..sounds like bad data.

Go hit your new driver and see how it performs. Be realistic about expectations. 

As suggested, go to some demo days or go to your local golf store where we can try some different shafts and get some data.

Fittings can be good..but might not be necessary.

Definitely don't sell something you just bought until you've hit it and figure out if the shaft is correct. 

Good luck

Ok thanks for all the info  demo days hard to come by here  never see them and going to a store to try stuff means having to buy it lol  the reason I haven't hit it yet is because I would have a better chance to sell new  for what I paid  then put that to the even Newer stz 230 and do what is suggested  a proper full fitting and that will give me the answers I'm spending days and nights looking for on the net lol.  Just for asdded Info  the 7i 95mph us prob. Wrong  but the 225/235  with the ping driver is right 

1 hour ago, sanzo said:

Ok thanks for all the info  demo days hard to come by here  never see them and going to a store to try stuff means having to buy it lol  the reason I haven't hit it yet is because I would have a better chance to sell new  for what I paid  then put that to the even Newer stz 230 and do what is suggested  a proper full fitting and that will give me the answers I'm spending days and nights looking for on the net lol.  Just for asdded Info  the 7i 95mph us prob. Wrong  but the 225/235  with the ping driver is right 

I hit clubs all the time and EW and GG and rarely do I end up buying anything. I usually test stuff there and if I happen to really like some ill look on here or Ebay for the same thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RH82 said:

Anyone else still playing this driver? Real tempted to get a new one for half the price as the current new drivers (other brands).

Yeah I'm interested as well really liked the 230 when I hit it and game a 200 3w but if the 220 driver is pretty much the same i'd rather pay $299 than the $599+

On 4/2/2023 at 11:36 PM, Braz33 said:

Yeah I'm interested as well really liked the 230 when I hit it and game a 200 3w but if the 220 driver is pretty much the same i'd rather pay $299 than the $599+

Have you hit the 230 v the 230? Dud you find there wasn't much of a difference in performance?  Theres a diff. In price alright  I know  I'm torn between the 2 bt if not much in them then 220 it is  and I'll get a shaft I think might fit 

On 4/2/2023 at 10:51 AM, RH82 said:

Anyone else still playing this driver? Real tempted to get a new one for half the price as the current new drivers (other brands).

I bought one for $170 off Ebay in the Fall.  Paired with a Ventus Velocore 7X shaft.  I love it and it hits bombs.  Marginal improvement over STZ which I played  last season....a little more forgiving. 

• Like 1

The $189 price for a new 220 is the best driver deal going right now, period, even if you have to change the shaft. Check out this review and read the comments below it as there is good info there.

AskGolfNut loves the 230 but in the comments he acknowledges there are not huge differences in these drivers. Different weighting to trim spin in the new one, which you also can do with loft or change the weight in the 220. The 230 is supposed to be slightly longer, but I hit both and distance was very close. No difference in forgiveness — it already was really forgiving. I sort of prefer the sound of the 220. Others like the more muted 230. I am certain you can play quality golf with either. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 4/7/2023 at 3:32 AM, dmeeksDC said:

The $189 price for a new 220 is the best driver deal going right now, period, even if you have to change the shaft. Check out this review and read the comments below it as there is good info there.

AskGolfNut loves the 230 but in the comments he acknowledges there are not huge differences in these drivers. Different weighting to trim spin in the new one, which you also can do with loft or change the weight in the 220. The 230 is supposed to be slightly longer, but I hit both and distance was very close. No difference in forgiveness — it already was really forgiving. I sort of prefer the sound of the 220. Others like the more muted 230. I am certain you can play quality golf with either. 

Thanks for the added info Meeks  i know  just from reading reviews that there can't really be that much improvement in the space of one ( 1 ) year with most drivers nevrmind the  Stzs  as the only thing new is the cortech chamber  but the stz220 has the cortech chamber only it's not highlighted in blue..the main thing that has me stalled is the distance in the 2.. done say the same distance  some ssy the 230 is longer but by how much 5  20 or 15 yrds?  And Iv come across reviews saying the 220 was shorter than the others too but also read it kept up with the others  so hmm might just stick with it and get a new stick for it

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 4:23 PM, sanzo said:

Thanks for the added info Meeks  i know  just from reading reviews that there can't really be that much improvement in the space of one ( 1 ) year with most drivers nevrmind the  Stzs  as the only thing new is the cortech chamber  but the stz220 has the cortech chamber only it's not highlighted in blue..the main thing that has me stalled is the distance in the 2.. done say the same distance  some ssy the 230 is longer but by how much 5  20 or 15 yrds?  And Iv come across reviews saying the 220 was shorter than the others too but also read it kept up with the others  so hmm might just stick with it and get a new stick for it

I finally compared my STZ 220 vs the STZ 230, and, for me, the 230 was not better than my 220. With my upper 80's club head speed, I did not see an improvement in ball speed. I was comparing my STZ 220 with the Ascent Red shaft vs a STZ 230 with the Kali Blue shaft, ymmv

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 12:19 AM, bellken said:

I finally compared my STZ 220 vs the STZ 230, and, for me, the 230 was not better than my 220. With my upper 80's club head speed, I did not see an improvement in ball speed. I was comparing my STZ 220 with the Ascent Red shaft vs a STZ 230 with the Kali Blue shaft, ymmv

After much reading and research ( but no testing)  I'm going to keep the 220 but not with the ascent shaft  with the diamana blue stiff  haven't got the shaft yet but will by wed and hope it works out

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I’m driving the best I’ve ever driven it with my 220z. Took the stock av raw blue out and put in an atmos tour spec black and my god it’s amazing. Sim data showed it lacked ball speed. I was trying my brothers driver (ltd x) and I was consistently getting 2-4mph quicker ball speed but none of that really matters. On the course it’s super forgiving and low spin enough where I can hit some bombs. I’m not gonna hit the middle of the face all the time so the forgiveness is really what I’m sold on. Not gonna lie, I’ll still probably pick up a 230z head when they get cheaper lol 

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 Atmos Tour Spec Black

3 wood: Callaway Rogue LS Tensei series white

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Speeder HB

Irons: Srixon z785 Modus3

50: Cleveland zip core 

56: Vokey sm8

60: Vokey sm9

12 hours ago, Kenner300 said:

Just wanted to say that I’m driving the best I’ve ever driven it with my 220z. Took the stock av raw blue out and put in an atmos tour spec black and my god it’s amazing. Sim data showed it lacked ball speed. I was trying my brothers driver (ltd x) and I was consistently getting 2-4mph quicker ball speed but none of that really matters. On the course it’s super forgiving and low spin enough where I can hit some bombs. I’m not gonna hit the middle of the face all the time so the forgiveness is really what I’m sold on. Not gonna lie, I’ll still probably pick up a 230z head when they get cheaper lol 

The Cobras at standard length play a 1/2 inch longer which will add a little ball speed. Try a longer shaft in the Mizuno and ball speed will go up. The beauty of these Mizuno drivers is they not only have nice distance but with the 45-inch standard length they are easier to put in the fairway. The 230 heads have incrementally improved forgiveness across the face and so they produce a slightly longer average distance. Maybe a touch better on hits low on the face. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 12:39 AM, dmeeksDC said:

The Cobras at standard length play a 1/2 inch longer which will add a little ball speed. Try a longer shaft in the Mizuno and ball speed will go up. The beauty of these Mizuno drivers is they not only have nice distance but with the 45-inch standard length they are easier to put in the fairway. The 230 heads have incrementally improved forgiveness across the face and so they produce a slightly longer average distance. Maybe a touch better on hits low on the face. 

I found the 220 for about $200 on the bay.  It is long. The stock flatter settings and open face are my only challenge. I’ve had a hard time turning it over. Made me realize how upright and draw bias other drivers are. I’m still playing around with it but even with the fades I’m getting long drives. Multiple holes I seem to be 10 yards further up than I used to be on my regular course.

Anyone else with the fade issue?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

2 hours ago, gator022 said:

I found the 220 for about $200 on the bay.  It is long. The stock flatter settings and open face are my only challenge. I’ve had a hard time turning it over. Made me realize how upright and draw bias other drivers are. I’m still playing around with it but even with the fades I’m getting long drives. Multiple holes I seem to be 10 yards further up than I used to be on my regular course.

I have a 10.5* loft 220 st-z driver with 50 gram Ascent stiff shaft and do strike fades with it.  For my game this is not a negative "issue" because a fade shot  is easier with which to leave the ball in the fairway. On a solidly struck shot my ST-Z  driver carry is about 245 yards, which is the same as I achieve with other drivers.

My shot flight with fairway wood, hybrid, and iron shots is a draw, so I do believe the ST-Z design has a bias towards fade shots.

2 hours ago, gator022 said:

I was able to hit a fade or draw with it. I didn’t find it was fade biased. Maybe go up 1 degree in loft to close the face a bit? Hard to beat that driver at $200!

Edited by dmeeksDC

6 hours ago, gator022 said:

Why not put it in the upright setting at the same loft?

8 hours ago, raspymcnasty said:

im tempted to buy it from Costco. $225 brand new for the STX/STX 230

$225? I’m showing its $450?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert