I have a N Ireland Golf Course Dilemma…

I will be in N Ireland in 3 weeks and have scheduled Royal County Down to play. I first emailed Portrush about getting a tee time but they told me it was Remembrance Day that day and the course was closed. I then tried emailing Portstewart and heard nothing back. I emailed again about a week later and still nothing. So, I figured they were the same and moved on to booking Castlerock last week. Today, I got an email from Portstewart with a tee time and apologizing for the delay. So, for those that live there or have played both, should I cancel Castlerock and go with Portstewart or keep Castlerock and tell Portstewart no thanks. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Chilidog

• Chilidog changed the title to I have a N Ireland Golf Course Dilemma…
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a very nice problem to have…. When in doubt, do both.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

I played Portstewart in August and the first 4 holes are unreal. Enjoyed the entire day there!

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: Sim2 9* Oban Hashimoto 04

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54*PXG 0311 58*

Putter: SC Newport 2
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

On 10/18/2021 at 9:46 AM, Chilidog said:

I will be in N Ireland in 3 weeks and have scheduled Royal County Down to play. I first emailed Portrush about getting a tee time but they told me it was Remembrance Day that day and the course was closed. I then tried emailing Portstewart and heard nothing back. I emailed again about a week later and still nothing. So, I figured they were the same and moved on to booking Castlerock last week. Today, I got an email from Portstewart with a tee time and apologizing for the delay. So, for those that live there or have played both, should I cancel Castlerock and go with Portstewart or keep Castlerock and tell Portstewart no thanks. Thanks for the help guys!

Played Portstewart and it is stunning. Front 9 through the dunes and back 9 along the River. 
Check out The Mermaid bar and restaurant in Portrush. Some of the best seafood in N. Ireland.. 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, JRSc said:

Played Portstewart and it is stunning. Front 9 through the dunes and back 9 along the River. 
Check out The Mermaid bar and restaurant in Portrush. Some of the best seafood in N. Ireland.. 

I was told to go to Harry’s Shack right below Portstewart #1 on the beach for the best seafood in Ireland. 

3 hours ago, Chilidog said:

I was told to go to Harry’s Shack right below Portstewart #1 on the beach for the best seafood in Ireland. 

Have not been there but sounds good to me. Can’t wait to hear about it. I love Ireland. The food is very underrated. It’s not all pork and potatoes. We stayed at the Bushmills Inn and the food was excellent. 

5 hours ago, JRSc said:

Have not been there but sounds good to me. Can’t wait to hear about it. I love Ireland. The food is very underrated. It’s not all pork and potatoes. We stayed at the Bushmills Inn and the food was excellent. 

Just watched this and it had a piece on that place below #1 Portstewart. Definitely going to visit after seeing this. Looks delicious. 

Oh and this series by Matt Ginella is excellent. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQcl57T-MHE

2 hours ago, Chilidog said:

Just watched this and it had a piece on that place below #1 Portstewart. Definitely going to visit after seeing this. Looks delicious. 

Oh and this series by Matt Ginella is excellent. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQcl57T-MHE

Wow. I have stood on that tee box and never knew Harry’s was there. You are going to have a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, Chilidog said:

Have you been and if so how did it go? I live less than 30 miles from Portstewart. The first few holes are stunning especially the view from the first tee. Only played it 3 times as the top courses over here are crazy money but I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

5 hours ago, AP76 said:

Have you been and if so how did it go? I live less than 30 miles from Portstewart. The first few holes are stunning especially the view from the first tee. Only played it 3 times as the top courses over here are crazy money but I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

I was at Portstewart on Sunday. The course was in good shape but the greens were slow. I left everything short and I was banging them to get them there. The front 9 is stunning and the back 9 is very so so after coming out of the dunes. It’s like 2 different courses. I plan to do a full trip write up when I get back. 

2 hours ago, Chilidog said:

I was at Portstewart on Sunday. The course was in good shape but the greens were slow. I left everything short and I was banging them to get them there. The front 9 is stunning and the back 9 is very so so after coming out of the dunes. It’s like 2 different courses. I plan to do a full trip write up when I get back. 

I would totally agree with your verdict of the course. The first 7 holes are as nice as it gets, 8 to 15 are o.k then 16 to 18 kind of lets it down. Disappointed to hear the greens were slow, you would always expect links greens to be running reasonably quick. Look forward to reading your write up⛳🏌️👍🏼

36 minutes ago, AP76 said:

I would totally agree with your verdict of the course. The first 7 holes are as nice as it gets, 8 to 15 are o.k then 16 to 18 kind of lets it down. Disappointed to hear the greens were slow, you would always expect links greens to be running reasonably quick. Look forward to reading your write up⛳🏌️👍🏼

Thanks and I’ll give you a preview, it wasn’t nearly as disappointing as Royal County Down. I was expecting to bounce everything on to the green via true links golf and I backed up a 6 iron from 190 about 6 feet at RCD. 

On 11/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, Chilidog said:

Thanks and I’ll give you a preview, it wasn’t nearly as disappointing as Royal County Down. I was expecting to bounce everything on to the green via true links golf and I backed up a 6 iron from 190 about 6 feet at RCD. 

Sad to say I've never played RCD but attended the Irish Open there a few years back and it certainly showed it's teeth that week! Will maybe get around to it at some stage. Did you find it fairly playable then? I've always been under the impression that it was a bit of a beast.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:37 AM, AP76 said:

Sad to say I've never played RCD but attended the Irish Open there a few years back and it certainly showed it's teeth that week! Will maybe get around to it at some stage. Did you find it fairly playable then? I've always been under the impression that it was a bit of a beast.

Oh yes RCD is a beast but a friendly kind of beast which licks your hand before biting it. Fabulous views and a terrific layout. Personally I recall the round I played there as the best in Ireland but not MY best! It kicked my $&@** good and proper. Love to go back one day.