2023 Golf Trip Advice

Alright, fellas & ladies. Need some help. 

Amongst our normal golf grip, two of us have our second kiddos due in March of 2022, the other is getting married in May of 2022, and the fourth guy is still living the dream being single and playing golf every weekend. 

Looks like due to the events mentioned above we will be cancelling our Spring golf trip (usually Pinehurst where I live) and postponing until 2023. We've never done a MAJOR golf trip before, and decided that May of 2023 will be the time to do it considering it gives us the opportunity to give our wives plenty of notice. 

We've kicked a few ideas around, and wanted to get your opinions on the three (and possibly some other options we may not be considering). 

Scotland - $3,700 not including flights

- One week staying in St Andrews and right now we are quoted for Carnoustie, Crail - Balcomie, and currently have the Old Course included

This would be my #1 pick, but the one thing I'm not keen on is that the Old Course isn't 100% guaranteed unless we pay a $1,200 premium. We could try and go through advanced ticketing application or the ballot when we get there, but it seems like it would be a shame to go all the way to Scotland and not get to play at the "Home of Golf", even despite that we would definitely get out on Carnoustie. 

Pebble Beach - $4,700 not including flights

- The only thing about this trip is that it's only four nights total staying at Pebble. It would include Pebble, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass. We could potentially try and drive down and either play Pasa Tiempo or Harding Park as well. I would love the experience, but seems like a lot of money for 4 total days. 

TPC Danzante Bay (Mexico) - $3,000 all-inclusive and unlimited golf

- This one sort of piques our interest. Can't remember how I even found out about this place, but essentially is an all-inclusive resort on the coast with a championship 18-hole golf resort. The pricing includes meals, drinks, and unlimited golf with a 4-bedroom villa. The only thing that I'm slightly hesitant on is playing the same course for a week straight, and whether or not we'd get bored eventually. 

I appreciate the advice in advance. Thanks!

C

I would see about staying 2 nights at Pebble beach and playing the 3 resort courses. That is what I did a few years ago. You could then just stay in Monterey and save on the hotel pricing. Throw in Poppy Hills and / or Bayonet / Blackhorse and you would be good to go.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Just now, krtgolfing said:

I would see about staying 2 nights at Pebble beach and playing the 3 resort courses. That is what I did a few years ago. You could then just stay in Monterey and save on the hotel pricing. Throw in Poppy Hills and / or Bayonet / Blackhorse and you would be good to go.

Good call! Do you remember where you stayed in Monterey?

I guess out of those three I'd choose PB, but to be honest none sound particularly great to me. 

Scotland - I'd love this, but just like you I wouldn't want to go without knowing that I'd for sure be playing the Old Course.

Pebble Beach - The best of your three choices in my opinion. If you wanted to decrease the price you could stay somewhere besides Pebble. 

Mexico - No way I'd plan a multiday buddies golf trip where we only played one course the entire time. By the end of it I think you'd be feeling like you HAD to go play just to get your money's worth even though you've grown tired of the course. 

To me I think the best options would be ones you haven't even mentioned. I.e. Bandon, Whistling Straits, Sand Valley, Streamsong, etc. Maybe you've already done these and that is why they weren't considered?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

I do not remember. It was nothing fancy like the Spanish Bay resort, but had no issues. Probably was a Faifeild Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton, or something similar.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Just now, Abh159 said:

To me I think the best options would be ones you haven't even mentioned. I.e. Bandon, Whistling Straits, Sand Valley, Streamsong, etc. Maybe you've already done these and that is why they weren't considered?

As far as Bandon goes, I simply don't have too much of a desire to go play at this moment, but will one day. For Whistling Straits, I've played it before and while I loved it, I think one or two of the guys would have an extremely tough time playing the course unfortunately. I'll check out Streamsong, and I've never heard of Sand Valley but will definitely look into it.

The reason Scotland / Pebble got brought up is because two of the guys we are playing with have never done anything with "prestige" behind it. I've had the pleasure of playing at places like Straits, Oakmont, and Congressional so I know how cool of an experience it would be for them.

7 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

The Intercontinental Clement and Monterey Plaza on Cannery Row are okay.

The Portola Plaza downtown is okay as well.
The Hyatt on top of the hill outside of town is alright.

There are many lower grade hotels in the Monterey area as well. 

Many rental homes are available in Monterey and a fewer number in Pacific Grove. Pacific Grove passed an ordinance a couple of years ago limiting short term rentals in parts of town. 

Re: Playing Harding Park. Be wary of the traffic.  SF and Monterey are not that close and Bay Area traffic is awful. 

Like another poster mentioned, consider Poppy Hills, Bayonet, or Black Horse, although Pasatiempo is worth the drive. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

8 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

As far as Bandon goes, I simply don't have too much of a desire to go play at this moment, but will one day. For Whistling Straits, I've played it before and while I loved it, I think one or two of the guys would have an extremely tough time playing the course unfortunately. I'll check out Streamsong, and I've never heard of Sand Valley but will definitely look into it.

The reason Scotland / Pebble got brought up is because two of the guys we are playing with have never done anything with "prestige" behind it. I've had the pleasure of playing at places like Straits, Oakmont, and Congressional so I know how cool of an experience it would be for them.

Makes total sense. Those that I mentioned (Bandon, Straits, Steamsong, SV) are really more for the people who just love playing golf at great courses.

If you have a few people going who care more about the "prestige" of a course (which is totally fine) then they probably aren't going to get as much out of a trip to one of those as they would going to a Pebble Beach or somewhere similar.

Honestly Bandon should be at the top of everyone's list.  Once you go one time you want to go every year.  Sand Valley is also run by Keiser and honestly well worth the trip.  If you're doing something with prestigious courses pebble is probably the way to go. Kiawah also a great option for a golf trip.  Sand Valley could be added to a Wisconsin loop where you throw in Erin Hills as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

Honestly Bandon should be at the top of everyone's list.  Once you go one time you want to go every year.  Sand Valley is also run by Keiser and honestly well worth the trip.  If you're doing something with prestigious courses pebble is probably the way to go. Kiawah also a great option for a golf trip.  Sand Valley could be added to a Wisconsin loop where you throw in Erin Hills as well.

Agreed. Bandon is a better golf experience than Pebble. I do want to go every year, however have only been 3 times (plus another to stop by on a motorcycle trip). I know - first world problems.

Is Pinehurst too close to you to be considered a major trip? Given the comment about one buddy not doing anything prestigious yet, that would be an easy one, and way easier logistics than any of the other options.

Outside of that, Bandon is the top of my list for a dream trip. Of your options, Scotland would be my favorite. While I love the idea of PB/SF area, no way am I personally dropping $5k on that trip.

33 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

Kiawah also a great option for a golf trip.

*whispering* ....the other courses at Kiawah are pretty uninspiring...

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Just now, wsupjs said:

Is Pinehurst too close to you to be considered a major trip? Given the comment about one buddy not doing anything prestigious yet, that would be an easy one, and way easier logistics than any of the other options.

Outside of that, Bandon is the top of my list for a dream trip. Of your options, Scotland would be my favorite. While I love the idea of PB/SF area, no way am I personally dropping $5k on that trip.

While they haven't played #2 (I have dozens of times), they don't seem to have much of an interest in that.

7 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

While they haven't played #2 (I have dozens of times), they don't seem to have much of an interest in that.

Ah got it, thanks for the quick clarification.

Given that, I'd go Bandon -> Scotland -> Mexico -> Pebble

Another one to consider would be Cabot in Canada, but I have no idea about costs.

Edited by wsupjs
  • Like 1

My best experience in 20 years of golf was St. Andrews.  Didn't have a tee time, showed up at the starter's hut (before the building was there) before everyone else and had the entire 1st/18th fairways and a sky full of stars to myself for 2 hours.  It was cold, uncomfortable, and quiet but also amazing. 

I say give StA a go, work the ballot every day and get in line early.  It's worth it.

BTW, the starter got there at about 730am and I was on the course by 1030am (Oct 2013)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JNewsted said:

My best experience in 20 years of golf was St. Andrews.  Didn't have a tee time, showed up at the starter's hut (before the building was there) before everyone else and had the entire 1st/18th fairways and a sky full of stars to myself for 2 hours.  It was cold, uncomfortable, and quiet but also amazing. 

I say give StA a go, work the ballot every day and get in line early.  It's worth it.

BTW, the starter got there at about 730am and I was on the course by 1030am (Oct 2013)

I've known some people that have done this as well and all of them said sort of the same thing you did. 

Although all of them did it as a single and not as part of a larger trip or group. Do you think this method (no tee time just showing up and waiting) would work for a group?

1 minute ago, Abh159 said:

I've known some people that have done this as well and all of them said sort of the same thing you did. 

Although all of them did it as a single and not as part of a larger trip or group. Do you think this method (no tee time just showing up and waiting) would work for a group?

I actually know the answer to this. Per the person we are discussing the package with, the Old Course gets over 95% of the people on the ballot onto the course to play. The catch is that groups often don't get to play together, and it's not guaranteed that you will get off the tee in time to finish your round.

Have you thought of Ireland? Some incredible courses all over the country, and pretty easy to get to a range of options. Great pubs, too. Either N Ireland or down the west coast would give you some great golf. Depending on the euro or GBP vs USD it can either be a lot cheaper or about the same as Scotland.

I live in Pebble Beach - to keep the PB price down, get a Duke’s card for the Spanish and Spy rounds (it will pay for itself with those rounds, and some free play at Peter Hay) and do the minimum stay at either the Lodge or Spanish Bay to guarantee the PB tee time for your group. Tons of places to stay that are fine and a lot cheaper (the Hyatt backs onto Del Monte GC - one of the scariest shots in golf is a wedge into 17 at Del Monte, because if you catch it thin you might kill someone on the Hyatt bar patio that is less than 10 yards off the green). Happy to help out if you have any other questions about playing here (an NCGA e-club membership will save you a ton at Poppy, and also gets you a better price at Bayonet, and Quail Lodge and Carmel Valley Ranch also sometimes to stay and play deals on Golf Moose).

Edited by doctorgriffo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

I would highly recommend adding Pasatiempo if you are going to Monterey. It’s 45 mins up the highway in Santa Cruz, prob can save some dollars flying into San Jose instead of Monterey. If you do, you’ll drive right by it on the way to Pebble.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

I actually know the answer to this. Per the person we are discussing the package with, the Old Course gets over 95% of the people on the ballot onto the course to play. The catch is that groups often don't get to play together, and it's not guaranteed that you will get off the tee in time to finish your round.

That’s not exactly true. Almost half of all the available tee times come from the ballot. If you apply for the ballot every day you’re likely to get on. There is no way I would pay the $1200 to get a guaranteed time. I’ve got on through the ballot twice, once at 9:40 and once at 12:20. In fact all the tee times after 12:00 on Thursdays are reserved for the ballot and no advanced times are taken on Saturdays. I think the person you’re talking to is referring to what are called “dark times”. These are the later times on the tee sheet that they keep open for play under the assumption you may not complete your round due to darkness. 

https://www.drumgolf.com/old-course-ballot-st-andrews/

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Scotland, hands down. Your buddies can probably get to PB later. But Scotland, Wow Go. 

Your group might not get the chance to go again, Life happens. 

Got to go once, played the OC, Turnberry, Prestwick, Gleneagles(2) and Crail. The trip had us staying in three different hotels. Turnberry and Gleneagles hotels are beyond awesome. 

Ireland is on the same level and have been there twice. Was planning a third last year but ...

Go east, young man.  🕳️

• Like 2

If you have not done a "major" trip before, you cant go wrong with any of the options that have been brought up. 

I have been lucky to do to the following over the past few years:

• Scotland (OC, Carnoustie, Murfield, Kingsbarns, Crail)
  • Pinehurst (2, 8, 2 again)
  • Streamsong (Red, Blue, Black, Red)
  • Sand Valley (SV x2, Mammoth x2, and played Erin Hills while up there)
  • Pebble (PB, SB, SH, Cordevalle, The Preserve)
  • Bandon (all 5 coming up the weekend before Halloween)

Everything above has "prestige" so I will check those boxes for your buddies.  Every trip has been awesome in every different way.  I would (and will someday), do everything again in a heartbeat.

If the wives are really letting you guys go for a week, head to Scotland.  That is my option #1.

Pebble is all it is cracked up to be, especially for a first timer.  Pretty easy to get to but still lose a full day in travel

Bandon is arguably the best single destination anywhere in the world, is a royal PITA to get to, especially from NC.  You will lose 2 days just on travel. 

SV is awesome but also hard to get to, 4 hours from MKE airport.  Only 2 courses unless you add EH.

My advice to you, with a toddler and an infant, would be to would be to stay close to home with quick travel, and maximize the time away.  Streamsong is perfect.  You can play on arrival and departure day.  Courses are awesome.  All 3 are totally different.  Everyone has a different favorite.  I love Blue, my friend loves Black, the magazines love Red.

My kids are 17 and 15 and I only started doing these trips the past few years.  You can't do everything in one year.  Start small with the kids where they are and build up to the bigger ones.  Hoping to head back to Scotland for 50th (it has been 18 years since I was there)

Edited by david.c.w
  • Like 3

I've done them all and by far the best trips have been to Scotland. I'm doing my fourth Scotland golf  trip in June 2022, postponed for two years due to the pandemic.

You should start by applying for a tee time on the Old Course on the first day they open up their booking calendar in August 2022 for the full calendar year of 2023. Here are the instructions from TOC website:

Start the process by applying directly to the St. Andrews Links Trust. Contact them by phone (011-44-1334-466718) or e-mail (reservations@standrews.com) during a two- to three-week window that begins each year in late August and ends in mid-September. The tee times are allocated lottery-style, and winners are notified in early to mid-October. Note that some months have severe availability restrictions, and reservations are for Monday through Friday only. You can book up to two foursomes, or as few as two players. There are limited advanced times for single players as well. Prepare to give the Links Trust the other names in your group, their handicaps and home clubs as well as a second course to play at St. Andrews. If you’re lucky enough to grab an Old Course time you’ll be required to pay for a second round at another Links Trust course, such as the New, Eden, Jubilee, Strathtyrum or Castle. 

If you don't get an Old Course tee time as a result of an August application, you can re-apply later when they  sell the tee times that weren't paid for or cancelled.  However, even if you don't get a tee time, I'd still make Scotland my first choice. If you stay in St Andrews you can enter the daily ballot and will have a good chance of getting an Old Course tee time that way. If you don't there are still so many amazing courses to play in Fife or in nearby Angus or East Lothian.

In Fife, besides the seven St Andrews Links Trust courses, you can choose from Kingbarns, Crail, Elie, Lundin and Leven

In Angus& Dundee you have Carnoustie, Panmure, Montrose and Monifieth

In East Lothian you have Muirfield, North Berwick, three courses at Gullane, Dunbar, Luffness and Kilspindie. If you want to play Muirfield (which is expensive) you need to go to their website and make a reservation about a year in advance.

That's 25 world class links to choose from at a wide range of prices. I book almost all my trips myself. It's a lot of fun and a lot less expensive than using a service. 

Here's a possible itinerary: Stay 3 nights in North Berwick and 3 nights in St Andrews. There are several gtreat B&Bs in North Berwick

Day 1 - Gullane day ticket, play Gullane #1 and #2

Day 2 - Muirfield

Day 3 - North Berwick West Links & Dunbar

Day 4 - Lundin & Leven or Crail Balcomie & Elie or Kingsbarns

Day 5 - Carnoustie

Day 6 St Andrews Old & New

You'll need to adjust the days based on which day (or whether) you get an Old Course tee time, and adjust which courses and the number of  courses based on your budget.

DON'T SKIP SCOTLAND BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU GET ON THE OLD COURSE. IT WILL BE A TRIP OF A LIFETIME WITH OR WITHOUT TOC

• Like 4

13 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Options we are looking at for 2023

St. Andrews

Liverpool

Portugal

Dominican Republic Casa De Campo

Scotland West Coast

Scotland North

Ireland Northwest

I've done all of those trips except Portugal and "Scotland North", which I am doing in June 2022 (12 courses)

If you do the DR and are commuting to Casa de Campo from Punta Cana, make sure to play Punta Espada in Punta Cana. Corales is also good, but  my fave in DR is Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo. Play it twice.

Your Northwest Scotland trip is one of my all time faves. Rosses Point is one of the most under rated courses I've played. If you can extend the trip a day or two (or three) head up to Donnegal and play Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island (both can be played the same day), Rosapenna (three courses, including the brand new Doak called St Patricks), and Portsalon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

My personal experience: on St Andrews I did that same thing 2 years ago. Woke up at 3:30am, 4:00am I was on the Old Course, where there was a line of 22 people waiting... I got to play on a 8:30am tee time, paired with other 3 who came together and did the same as I did (father+2 sons).

So if you're flexible, this is definitely a good option. I suggest you are flexible enough to at least give you 2 or 3 days "chance", and build the trip around The Old Course. St Andrews itself has other very nice courses, apart from the ones that are close to the city and not so busy. Do it! Best experience ever.