2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Any courses walk-only?

Was reading a blurb on Erin Hills course in Wisconsin, site of the 2017 US Open. Said it is walk-only and I think it said it does not have cart paths at all. Now, that is novel! Do you know of any other courses walk-only? I can't envision such a course getting enough traffic to survive, especially this day and age when fitness/obesity are more of a problem. I bet they rent a lot of electric caddy carts!

All of the Keiser properties (Bandon, Cabot, Sand Valley) are walking only. 

Off the top of my head other courses that I can think of:

Bethpage Black.

The Ocean Course

Whistling Straits

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

There are a decent amount of courses that are "walking only". Although most if not all will have a few carts available for people that are physically or medically unable to walk due to a legitimate health issue (not just because you're overweight).

As for not having cart paths... I know of plenty of courses that allow riding but don't have cart paths. It's a lot more common than you may think. 

• Like 1

Streamsong is walking only except in the summer. I know a course built at Reynolds was built to be walking only. The course I grew up playing was walking only for a very long time. Even when they were forced to get carts for handicapped they made them individual carts. By about 04 they moved to actual carts anyone could take. 

• Like 1

When Bandon opened and announced it was 'walking only' people took a double take. It is one of the most popular golf sites in the world now. As mentioned above all Keiser properties of followed suit. 

Not mentioned yet - but outside Merica, walking courses are VERY common. A few that come to mind that I have played in the UK and Ireland:

St Andrews (all of them)

Kingsbarns

Carnoustie

Ballybunion

Tralee

Royal County Down

Royal Port Rush

It is pretty common in the UK and Ireland overall - not just as the famous courses.

World wide I would guess there are more walking golfers than riding golfers, as it is rare outside the US or resort course to see predominantly riding only courses. At any rate the walking only courses do great business. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

In the USA, does anyone know of a course that is not a 'big name' being walk-only? Just a regular golf course.

On a slightly different note, I know of a golf course that was built by a guy who is so rich, golf revenue from his course can't matter much. Makes me wonder if there are quite few of those scattered around.

I think golf cart revenue is significant golf course revenue.

See my "Tales from the course" thread. When it opened, that course was walking only as the owner really wanted to have that be the case. It's a great walking course, pretty compact and not too many hills. Unfortunately after a couple of seasons the economics dictated a change as they were unable to host outings/tournaments as most people want to ride a cart in those. So the cart paths went in and unfortunately made the experience much worse. As mentioned, the course is very compact so when the asphalt paths were added, many are just a few yards from the fairway so a slightly errant shot is now much more likely to hit one of those paths and end up a long way into the trees.

6 minutes ago, playit said:

In the USA, does anyone know of a course that is not a 'big name' being walk-only? Just a regular golf course.

On a slightly different note, I know of a golf course that was built by a guy who is so rich, golf revenue from his course can't matter much. Makes me wonder if there are quite few of those scattered around.

There are a lot of old clubs in the Northeast that are walking only, but they have caddie programs. 

but your comment about a regular golf course make me think your looking for a public course, but not a public course like Erin Hills that is a big name course?

Just now, hollabachgt said:

There are a lot of old clubs in the Northeast that are walking only, but they have caddie programs. 

but your comment about a regular golf course make me think your looking for a public course, but not a public course like Erin Hills that is a big name course?

I think a walk-only course is a very LONG way from me. I was just curious how prevalent this is. I seem to recall a few decades ago, it seemed that country clubs and golf courses started adding FLEETS of golf carts and even BANNED walking because they figured out how much revenue they generate. Which brings up another question... is it common for golf courses to ban walking? (Sorry, long hiatus, been out of the game for several years.)

10 minutes ago, playit said:

I think a walk-only course is a very LONG way from me. I was just curious how prevalent this is. I seem to recall a few decades ago, it seemed that country clubs and golf courses started adding FLEETS of golf carts and even BANNED walking because they figured out how much revenue they generate. Which brings up another question... is it common for golf courses to ban walking? (Sorry, long hiatus, been out of the game for several years.)

I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't know of any courses that completely "ban" walking.

Plenty discourage it for a number of reasons (lost money, long distances b/w holes so walking can slow down pace of play, hilly/mountainous terrain, and etc.), but they aren't going to send you packing if you refuse to ride. 

2 hours ago, playit said:

Was reading a blurb on Erin Hills course in Wisconsin, site of the 2017 US Open. Said it is walk-only and I think it said it does not have cart paths at all. Now, that is novel! Do you know of any other courses walk-only? I can't envision such a course getting enough traffic to survive, especially this day and age when fitness/obesity are more of a problem. I bet they rent a lot of electric caddy carts!

Not only is it walk only, it's carry only, push carts prohibited.

20 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Not only is it walk only, it's carry only, push carts prohibited.

Wow! I never would have suspected that. That sure messes up my plans to buy a follow-me caddy!

Actually, I walked and carried for many, many years but carrying is harder on me now at almost 68. And out of shape. Fixing the latter!

EDIT:  Makes me wonder what their reasoning is for banning trolley carts and making it carry-only. Or, do they have human caddies? (I just looked... they have human caddies. I didn't see anything banning pull carts but they mention 'golf carts' so maybe they include pull carts in that. Expensive place to play... probably set you back close to $400-$500 time you're done.)

Edited by playit

8 minutes ago, playit said:

Wow! I never would have suspected that. That sure messes up my plans to buy a follow-me caddy!

Actually, I walked and carried for many, many years but carrying is harder on me now at almost 68. And out of shape. Fixing the latter!

EDIT:  Makes me wonder what their reasoning is for banning trolley carts and making it carry-only. Or, do they have human caddies?

They have caddies and I suspect they want to encourage their usage, although I've heard some differing opinions on the quality of said caddies. No experience myself.

1 hour ago, playit said:

There is such a course near me.  It is owned by a super-wealthy guy and completely isolated.  

This isn't just private, its' personal.

I hear that only about 100 rounds are played there a year.

8 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

There is such a course near me.  It is owned by a super-wealthy guy and completely isolated.  

This isn't just private, its' personal.

I hear that only about 100 rounds are played there a year.

Yes way more courses around that fit this profile than people think of all shapes and sizes. Some are the nicest you would ever find and some are a bit more rustic. 

1 hour ago, playit said:

This would be a regional thing. Where I live the private clubs are 95% walking and though you can take a cart at public courses the vast majority of golfers walk - with the better or more avid a golfer is the more likely they are walking. I am in the PNW.

Where are you? 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

This would be a regional thing. Where I live the private clubs are 95% walking and though you can take a cart at public courses the vast majority of golfers walk - with the better or more avid a golfer is the more likely they are walking. I am in the PNW.

Where are you? 

Wow! That is exactly the opposite from here, Louisiana. Except for some walkers at old, public courses, carts are the norm, including the newer daily fee public courses. I think everyone in PNW is probably more health-oriented and more fit!

I played Bandon Dunes a few years ago and I had forgotten that we walked.

4 hours ago, jvincent said:

All of the Keiser properties (Bandon, Cabot, Sand Valley) are walking only. 

Off the top of my head other courses that I can think of:

Bethpage Black.

The Ocean Course

Whistling Straits

When I was at Sand Valley this summer I saw way more carts than I was expecting, the group ahead of us looked to be mid-30s and I didn't see any obviously visible disability. 

I asked my caddie - he said every single cart the resort owns is in use every single day. They are supposed to be for ADA qualifying disabilities but he said the resort doesn't really check. 

Ocean Course definitely isn't walking only, but it is cart path/waste area only. 

39 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

When I was at Sand Valley this summer I saw way more carts than I was expecting, the group ahead of us looked to be mid-30s and I didn't see any obviously visible disability. 

I asked my caddie - he said every single cart the resort owns is in use every single day. They are supposed to be for ADA qualifying disabilities but he said the resort doesn't really check. 

Ocean Course definitely isn't walking only, but it is cart path/waste area only. 

The Ocean Course is Walking ONLY All Day, except Jun. 1 - Aug. 31, carts will be allowed after 10:00, with restrictions.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, playit said:

Wow! That is exactly the opposite from here, Louisiana. Except for some walkers at old, public courses, carts are the norm, including the newer daily fee public courses. I think everyone in PNW is probably more health-oriented and more fit!

I played Bandon Dunes a few years ago and I had forgotten that we walked.

Yes as a general observations, I have found the hotter climate in the US - carts are much more the norm. 

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Yes as a general observations, I have found the hotter climate in the US - carts are much more the norm. 

In the south and midwest I have met an incredible number of golfers who have literally never walked a round of golf. 

I know one guy who refuses to go on trips to the big resorts because he won't walk. 

18 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

In the south and midwest I have met an incredible number of golfers who have literally never walked a round of golf. 

I know one guy who refuses to go on trips to the big resorts because he won't walk. 

If you never walk, I could see it pretty tough to head on a multi-day trip and walk (and lug your clubs around) for several days. Even if your fitness is up to it, your feet might not be very tough and you would be sore at the end of the day if you not use to carrying a bag or pushing a cart.