General standard raw cut length of steel shafts ????

wings02

40 minutes ago, wings02 said:

I'm selling a used set of Nippon NS PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 105 steel shafts .370 in stiff flex. What is general  standardized raw cut length they should be to be categorized as "Standard" Length. The set is 4-PW (7 shafts) Any input is appreciated.

There is no such thing as "standard" in the golf industry, the only 2 standards thats fixed, is that the club head is attached to the thin end of the shaft, and the grip to the thick end, and thats it.

Uncut shafts for irons vary A LOT, and we have descending weight shafts thats 38 to 44 uncut, and for constant wgt shaft, they can vary up to 1 inch.

That means that we have to convert the numbers to GRAMS pr. INCH to be able to see what we got. This list gives a picture of what we talk about. Pay attention to that UNCUT length vary a lot, so we cant use official weight for compare, we have to convert the numbers to grams pr inch.

PS. Nippon is CONSTANT WEIGHT, (see chart 2)

DESCENDING WEIGHT SHAFTS

817258479_Descendingwgtchart.JPG.b39957996a6e5e9252d76f0d17fdbbb8.JPG 
CONSTANT WEIGHT SHAFTS - SEE THE HEADERS FOR UNCUT LENGTH

33638670_GRAMSPRINCHCONSTANTWGT.JPG.ba8f1da837666b3915ca2c1d8e285bd5.JPG

Edited by Howard_Jones

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

3 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

There is no such thing as "standard" in the golf industry, the only 2 standards thats fixed, is that the club head is attached to the thin end of the shaft, and the grip to the thick end, and thats it.

Actually, @TomWishontold a story here a while back about a customer who insisted that he build them a set with the shaft reversed.   Head attached to the thick end and grip on the thin end.   He tried to convince the customer that it wouldn't work but they continued to insist.  Sorry can't remember the customers "logic" for wanting it that way.   Anyway, he did manage to build a set that way - and of course the customer couldn't get them to work the way he thought they would.

Anyway, even that is a "standard" that has been broken at least once.

But for the OP.    Yes.

There is no standard for what the 'standard' club length should be.

There is no standard for how the lengths are measured by the different OEM's

There is no standard for how much the club head adds to the playing length (BBGM)

But for rough ball parks.

"Stock" playing length tends to be ~38" for a 5i +/- 0.25"

Head BBGM (how much you add to the cut shaft length to get the playing length) for irons tends to be between 1.0" to 1.5"  (although there can be exceptions to that.   So 1.25" +/-  0.25"

Add another +/- 1/4" for differences in measurement methods.

That would make a 5i shaft cut length of 36.75" +/- 0.75" with the grip on.

Subtract between 1/4" to 1/16" if there is no grip installed.

Drop down 1/2" increments for each shorter club to the 9i.

9i to PW can be 1/2" or 1/4".

Other wedges can be anything at or shorter than the PW length.

Edited by Stuart_G

@Stuart_G

That customer order was NOT according to the Golf Industry standards, but what we simply call "custom specs", here over and beyond (or way below) common sense. 😉

...and i think the OP was asking for UNCUT lengths, and if there is a standard for that, but its not.
This examples ripped from Hireko is a good example for how even discrete length shafts can vary from both brands and models within the same brand, where the raw uncut length for a #3 iron can vary up to 2 inches. (so my info above that said 1 inch was wrong)

365281195_uncutplaylengths.JPG.2f40ebe7d70e40d8d8b6af1e5c5ff7d6.JPG

13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

@Howard_Jones "rule" probably would have been a better word than "standard"

My ballpark came up to variations of 1.5" - but even then I said there were exceptions even to that range.

When i started up my shop, this issue was the first head twister of them all, since official specs for weight CANT be used before we convert the numbers.

I had the full aftermarket line up of True Temper, Rifle, Project X, Grafalloy, Swing Science and Tom Wishon, + Tour issue models, so i cant even recall how many options that was, but for demo i had about 150 shafts for irons....

The issue was to navigate right on weight since thats more than just important, but i had no chance to do that before i took ALL models and made lists and charts like above.

I had the same issue for BBGM since the same shaft played to different PL depending on heads, even within the same brand, so when i started to make demo shafts, i simply gave up on that, because here is NO common standards who made them "compatible".

It all ended with "pure custom" and demo shafts made for each customer, depending on head model to get it all as it should be, so i have often asked myself how others did this, especially places like Cool Clubs, True Specs and those who claims to be of the better club fitters out there.

Its all a big mess, and a large challenge for anyone who does club fitting or club making, and its kind of strange that this issue (shaft weight), never had the attention it deserved, so many hobbyist is not even aware of this, and think we can compare shafts using the weight info the factory delivers for compare, without thinking of that weight is a question of grams pr inch.

The typical compare we see is DG X100 vs PX 6.5 and most would say they are 5 grams apart but is that true? NO its not, since standard PX is 0.5 longer uncut vs DG, so we cut of weight equal to 0.5 inch on PX before we can compare them, ending with that PX 6.5 has a "comparable weight" of about 123.2 grams or close to 7 grams below DG X100.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

@Howard_Jones "rule" probably would have been a better word than "standard"

My ballpark came up to variations of 1.5" - but even then I said there were exceptions even to that range.

When i started up my shop, this issue was the first head twister of them all, since official specs for weight CANT be used before we convert the numbers.

I had the full aftermarket line up of True Temper, Rifle, Project X, Grafalloy, Swing Science and Tom Wishon, + Tour issue models, so i cant even recall how many options that was, but for demo i had about 150 shafts for irons....

The issue was to navigate right on weight since thats more than just important, but i had no chance to do that before i took ALL models and made lists and charts like above.

I had the same issue for BBGM since the same shaft played to different PL depending on heads, even within the same brand, so when i started to make demo shafts, i simply gave up on that, because here is NO common standards who made them "compatible".

It all ended with "pure custom" and demo shafts made for each customer, depending on head model to get it all as it should be, so i have often asked myself how others did this, especially places like Cool Clubs, True Specs and those who claims to be of the better club fitters out there.

Its all a big mess, and a large challenge for anyone who does club fitting or club making, and its kind of strange that this issue (shaft weight), never had the attention it deserved, so many hobbyist is not even aware of this, and think we can compare shafts using the weight info the factory delivers for compare, without thinking of that weight is a question of grams pr inch.

The typical compare we see is DG X100 vs PX 6.5 and most would say they are 5 grams apart but is that true? NO its not, since standard PX is 0.5 longer uncut vs DG, so we cut of weight equal to 0.5 inch on PX before we can compare them, ending with that PX 6.5 has a "comparable weight" of about 123.2 grams or close to 7 grams below DG X100.