2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What's a hybrid to you?

Vater

Do you think of hybrids more in the family of irons or more in the family of woods?

I get that hybrids were designed to replace long irons, but I've always thought of them as a type of wood. And if you search the forum, people are constantly pitting a hybrid against a wood when making club decisions.

Considering their actual construction, I like to have anything that's like a wood have similar characteristics and anything that's an iron have similar characteristics. So I kind of "flow" my wedges from my irons - and I "flow" my hybrid from my FW and driver.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

@Davidv Crazy connection, but I actually saw your reply in the XXIO thread, so you're a good example of what I'm talking about. Your driver, woods - and hybrid - are all XXIO, but your irons are PING.

Everyone talks about how hybrids are like irons, but why is it that so many people buy hybrids that are complementary to their woods?

It's because we all think of hybrids as wood type clubs, right? Again, why is the debate always between some X fairway wood and some Y hybrid? Because we think of them as comparable.

(Or is no one saying hybrids are like irons anymore?)

What's a hybrid to you?

Dead...

• Haha 4

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I replaced my fairway woods with hybrids, so I'd say they work like woods, not irons. Then there's the matter of being hollow like woods, having bulge and roll like woods, having longer shafts than irons with the same loft, and they'll never be mistaken for blades. Still, the line is being blurred by hollow irons that look more like woods than blades too.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I consider them a mini fairway wood to fill a yardage gap. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Not iron, not wood, not putter, not wedge.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Not wood or iron.  Its like they are a hybrid of the two.  J/k I tend to think of them more similar to a mini fairway wood.  I know some people use a swing similar to their irons but I have had the best luck using a swing more similar to a fairway wood.  I do prefer hybrids that have more of a fairway wood shape.  Those that like the squarer toe that are more iron like may feel differently.

• Like 1

Hybrids to me are a different animal. Their own class. It's a 2 iron and 5 wood in one... a, well, hybrid of them. It doesn't match my woods, 818h2 vs g425, and is easier to hit than a long iron but I can do all the long iron stuff with it.

• Like 1

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

7 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Not wood or iron.  Its like they are a hybrid of the two.  J/k I tend to think of them more similar to a mini fairway wood.  I know some people use a swing similar to their irons but I have had the best luck using a swing more similar to a fairway wood.  I do prefer hybrids that have more of a fairway wood shape.  Those that like the squarer toe that are more iron like may feel differently.

Good point about the squarer toe - I like the more compact profile hybrids, that's why I chose the M3. I think the SIM2 Rescue looks great in this regard. I also like the adjustability of the M3 for any illusions I have of being able to shape the shot. Yet, I completely agree that hybrids are like mini FWs and that the swing of a wood makes more sense than how I strike my irons.

HickoryBulldog.jpg.3709dde55cc86dc2f7dca9c6fbd6527f.jpgHistory lesson: Hybrids were not invented in the early 2000s. Hybrids are a resurrection of the Bulldog, a hickory-shafted trouble club from the late 1800s. The small head had a width of about two golf balls, and was used to blast the ball out of shaggy rough lies.

In the 2000s, are hybrids more woods or irons? Well, it's a combination of the two.  General rule: Hybrids fly better if you hit down on them like an iron, rather than sweeping them.

And, the clubheads vary. Some look more like a wood, while others look more like an iron. If you're feeling a bit confused, part of the blame goes to Mizuno and its FLI-HI family.

Sometimes FLI-HI gets marketed as a long-iron replacement, while other times it is shaped like, and called, a hybrid.

image.png.21775599eb21836af0b7c5635832618d.pngFinal advice: Don't worry about which part of your bag from which the hybrid flows. (If you can literally see it flow, you have a clubhead speed problem.) Focus on how the hybrid flies.

Edited by ChipNRun
Double insert on FLI-HI panel.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

41 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

HickoryBulldog.jpg.3709dde55cc86dc2f7dca9c6fbd6527f.jpgHistory lesson: Hybrids were not invented in the early 2000s. Hybrids are a resurrection of the Bulldog, a hickory-shafted trouble club from the late 1800s. The small head had a width of about two golf balls, and was used to blast the ball out of shaggy rough lies.

In the 2000s, are hybrids more woods or irons? Well, it's a combination of the two.  General rule: Hybrids fly better if you hit down on them like an iron, rather than sweeping them.

And, the clubheads vary. Some look more like a wood, while others look more like an iron. If you're feeling a bit confused, part of the blame goes to Mizuno and its FLI-HI family.

Sometimes FLI-HI gets marketed as a long-iron replacement, while other times it is shaped like, and called, a hybrid.

image.png.21775599eb21836af0b7c5635832618d.pngFinal advice: Don't worry about which part of your bag from which the hybrid flows. (If you can literally see it flow, you have a clubhead speed problem.) Focus on how the hybrid flies.

Solid point on how it flies. (I used the word "flow" as a lazy way of saying "related to" or "connected to" or "stemming from".)

So then what is your opinion on which a hybrid's flight is more like? For me, it's more like a wood. But your point is well taken as I have a FW, hybrid, and iron all within a few degrees of loft and I like having the three of them for the different shots I can make with each.

A replacement for long irons and mid irons. In my experience, I find them easier to swing than your standard long/mid irons. Great out of the light rough and for doing what I refer to as “bump and run”shots. I even have a 7 iron which is referred to as a mid-hybrid.

8625A558-B6C7-49AE-B44D-71223941B99C.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym

Fairway:  Paradym X / Beres S-05

Hybrids: Honma Beres U06 19 degrees / U05 22 degrees

Irons: Epic Forged Star 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway JAWS MD5 46 / 60

Putter: 2021 Phantom X 5.5

9 hours ago, Vater said:

So then what is your opinion on which a hybrid's flight is more like? For me, it's more like a wood. But your point is well taken as I have a FW, hybrid, and iron all within a few degrees of loft and I like having the three of them for the different shots I can make with each.

First, I'll describe my current - but changing - bag mix at the long end. I'm "anchored in Fours." I carry a 17° 4W, 22° 4H and 22° 4i. (And a 21° 7W).

4W is my distance wood... 7W blasts ball out of summer rough better and flies higher than 4H... 4H probably most versatile, I can flight it up and down a bit, and it goes almost as far as the 7W... 4i lost its steel and now has a lighter SteelFiber hybrid shaft, it makes a great driving iron when I need a low draw.

My new MavMAX irons run 5i - PW. So, I will keep the 4H as a versatile bridge club. If I practice, I can tee the ball low and hit a hot stinger with it, a useful trick since there's no 4i.

Also, there's the issue of a rough split-out in hybrids:

• Traditional hybrids, which have a shaft length and loft somewhere between numbered irons and fairway woods. Notice there is no equivalent JPX numbered iron to the CLK 2. Also note that the CLK 4 has a shaft 1.5" longer than the JPX 4i.
  • Iron replacement (IR) hybrids, which are paired to an iron set. The IRs have pretty much the same shaft length and loft as the numbered irons they are meant to replace. In Mizunoland, the FLI-HIs tend to be the IR model, although not quite as close a match as to earlier JPX-FH offerings.

image.png.e4061ba5ba95e1238ebbacdbc35419bf.png

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

11 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

General rule: Hybrids fly better if you hit down on them like an iron, rather than sweeping them.

That's not my experience with them. I hit mine with the same low angle sweeping swing as I used with fairway woods. I get the same distance as I did with the FWs, but better accuracy.

• Like 3

Callaway Supersoft

Response to remark, "...hit down on ( hybrids) like an iron..."

36 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

I hit mine with the same low angle sweeping swing as I used with fairway woods. I get the same distance as I did with the FWs, but better accuracy.

Interesting. I get into trouble with topping the ball if I try to sweep hybrids. The "hit down" has long been the recommended cure for those who had trouble hitting hybrids.

Anyone... maybe an instructor... have comments on the sweep vs. hit down attack angle for hybrids? What works for who? Is head design a factor?

Ψ  Backups:

Hybrid for me is literally a "rescue" club in that they've replaced the long irons I don't have the swing speed for any more.  At 67 years, my longest iron is a 6.  I relate to them more as a wood type club but with more control since the shafts are a little shorter.

• Like 1

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

13 hours ago, jomatty said:

Not wood or iron.  Its like they are a hybrid of the two.

Go on...

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I get into trouble with topping the ball if I try to sweep hybrids.

If you're topping you're not sweeping. I occasionally top, when I have a brain fart and don't drag the club at the start of the takeaway, although when I do that I'm just as likely to lift and drop the club and hit it fat. Ball position is key as well. You can have the ball well ahead of center when it's tee'd up, which still allows good contact even if the club head is ascending. When on the deck you need to have it not so far ahead of center to account for where the club head will inevitably start an ascending path. 

The three swing essentials for me are to drag the club at the beginning of the swing, to rotate my hips, and to focus my eyes on the ball. If I forget to do any of them I don't hit the ball well. I have 'Drag, Rotate, Focus' written in 48 point type on a 3x5 card that's permanently attached to my push cart, lest I forget.

As for hitting down, I was never able to do that very well with long irons, which I gave up on in favor of 7 and 9 woods 30 years ago. I don't carry a specific hybrid equivalent of a 9 wood now, but my SGI 5 iron plays like a hybrid, so I'm still sweeping until I get to the 6 iron.

Callaway Supersoft

I replaced my 2i with a 3H back in the day. Couple years ago, I replaced the 3i with a 4H.

Both were excellent decisions. They were iron replacements for me, literally.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I have a 4-hybrid that is cloned to my 4-iron. Shaft, length, SW, loft. I can easily pick between the two. Next set probably won't order a 4-iron. 

Longer than that, I have a driving iron that flows with irons in terms of length, step down in weight class shaft, etc. 

I have an incredibly hot and cold relationship with fairway woods, so my next attempt is going to be a low-lofted hybrid that I "flow up" from my irons. Modus GOST shaft in Tour S to complement the Modus 105X iron shafts. What I've realized after a lot of trying is that my driver is my driver and I can't make fairway woods extensions of my driver. I do, however, have success working up from irons for the driving iron, 4-hybrid, and hopefully the low-lofted hybrid that would replace a fairway wood. I'm ok giving up some of the natural length of a 3-wood, because ideally I won't be hesitant to pull the long hybrid out of the bag. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vater said:

Do you think of hybrids more in the family of irons or more in the family of woods?

I get that hybrids were designed to replace long irons, but I've always thought of them as a type of wood. And if you search the forum, people are constantly pitting a hybrid against a wood when making club decisions.

Considering their actual construction, I like to have anything that's like a wood have similar characteristics and anything that's an iron have similar characteristics. So I kind of "flow" my wedges from my irons - and I "flow" my hybrid from my FW and driver.

This is a good question. I build my own clubs and have noticed that the head weights for woods are higher for the same length that irons (11 wood and 1 iron) while hybrids are slightly heavier than irons. I don't know if this has anything to do with why I hook hybrids as they always feel a little light to me.

Nonetheless, I've ordered a 25 degree component head and I plan on removing a weight screw and extending it an inch so it will play about 2 swingweights over the Golfworks standard for a 4 hybrid. I hope this will help to make it more consistent.

Also, it would be interesting to see a table with the headweights, length and swingweights of the overlapping clubs.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

To me the hybrid is neither a wood or an iron.  Its a different beast all together.   I currently play a 3 wood, 7 wood (which replaces my 4 iron) , then 4, 5 and 6 hybrids.  The 6 hybrid replaces my 7 iron as they are the same loft.   I still carry a 7 iron as its my chipping club.   I find I hit them more like an iron then a wood.  But they are different.  They fly higher and slightly longer then the same lofted iron.   They are easier to hit high and long for this 66 year old.  

• Like 1

I think they are what you make of them. 

I play a Adams super 9031 proto as an iron replacement. That seems to be the best iron replacement one I have found. It kicked my (2016) Apex out of the bag. 

I think some are more iron replacement like the Adams 9031, Tour Edge EXS Pro, (2016) Callaway Apex……. Other smaller foot print hybrids

Some of the larger footprint ones are more of a wood replacement like the TM Sim Max, Callaway Maverik, Callaway super hybrid…….. etc!

They are what you purpose them for I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯