2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

P790’s Delayed AGAIN!

Soccerrick10

I am so fed up with Taylormade P790 delivery delays.  My order placed in August was scheduled for early September, then mid-October, got an email a few weeks ago that they were delayed until November 15th.  Tonight, I just got an email update they have now been pushed back to December 22.

I get the whole supply chain issues.  But, for crying out loud, do they suck at managing the customer expectation and satisfaction.  I’ve got over $1000 in trade-in gear tied up with them so I can’t cancel the order.  So very frustrating!!!

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I don't think that you do get it.  They literally have zero control over things currently and I'm sure they aren't happy with any of this as well.  I can't imagine the CSR's and how many calls they get from people.  

Sure, it's completely frustrating, but what are you expecting them to do?

Preach on brother.  I understand the disappointment of the delays, and sympathies go out to the original poster.  At this time though, anyone in manufacturing is being hindered by component delays, logistics issues, etc.  It's awful

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

One of the guys at my club waited almost 3 months for a set of 790’s.

He canceled his order and bought a set of PXG’s after I told him I got my 0311’s in 2 weeks. His 0211’s shipped in 7 days.

It seems like PXG is the only game in town right now unless you want to wait months for  your clubs.

• Like 4

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

26 minutes ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I’ve worked in purchasing project management for more than 40 years.  So, yeah, I do get it.  

Just because you've been in a job that long, doesn't mean you actually 'get it'...

This is literally the biggest supply chain catastrophe in how long...  Maybe... Ever...  Too...  This... Scale... WORLD WIDE...

• Like 2

A Revolving Door

14 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Wait, you have 40 years experience in a related field, knew about the largest shipping/ raw material/ supply chain crisis in modern history, and still thought, “Yeah, a month sounds about right.”?  👍

This sums up his reply to a tee...

I didn't order a new 2021 F150 a year ago because I would have had to wait over 6 months for it even though they were shipping within 6 weeks.  Then the chip crisis hits and things get even slower.  But then again, I don't have 40 years experience...

• Haha 2

A Revolving Door

4 minutes ago, xmanhockey7 said:

See what’s holding it up. I’m ordering 790s that are arriving in less than a week. Likely a shaft or grip issue. Heads are in stock. 

Did you order stock shafts and grips?  I heard they had stock piled their stock offerings because they were so popular in the last go around.

It does make you wonder why PXG is getting there clubs out. Also Mizuno though slower got mine out in a month. It’s so hit and miss. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

2 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

It does make you wonder why PXG is getting there clubs out. Also Mizuno though slower got mine out in a month. It’s so hit and miss. 

I would guess that PXG ordered a tremendous amount in 1 or 2 large orders to take advantage of volume pricing.  The others may do more volume in a greater number of transactions, and got caught in the SCC (supply chain catastrophe).  

Whew, made it through that post without getting political.  I should buy a lottery ticket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I’ve worked in purchasing project management for more than 40 years.  So, yeah, I do get it.  

The main mistake Taylormade continues to make is mis-managing expectation.  I wasn’t even considering getting new irons until THEY sent ME an email that said if I ordered by the end of August, the new clubs would arrive by end of September.  Next, THEY sent ME an email saying delivery is delayed and will ship by mid-October.  Then THEY sent ME an email delivery has been delayed and will ship mid-November. Then THEY sent ME an email delivery has been delayed and will ship mid-December.

At every step, Taylormade provided the information that set the expectation.  At no point have I called their customer service to complain.  I’d be happy if they would either return my trade ins or provide me with a check for the $1000 trade in value and cancel my order.

So, again, don’t tell me I don’t get it.  I fully get that Taylormade is unable to handle their orders versus in coming stock.  So just be honest with the customers that they don’t know when delivery will be available and offer them an exit plan if the customer WANTS to exercise that option.  They are after all, the ones providing ALL the status, updates and delays.

Wow.  Sounds like Taylormade did a bait and wait.  Promising to have your irons delivered in a month knowing there was no way they could meet that promise.  That's unethical, at best.  Yet another reason to not buy Taylormade products.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

1 hour ago, Soccerrick10 said:

The main mistake Taylormade continues to make is mis-managing expectation.  I wasn’t even considering getting new irons until THEY sent ME an email that said if I ordered by the end of August, the new clubs would arrive by end of September.  Next, THEY sent ME an email saying delivery is delayed and will ship by mid-October.  Then THEY sent ME an email delivery has been delayed and will ship mid-November. Then THEY sent ME an email delivery has been delayed and will ship mid-December.

At every step, Taylormade provided the information that set the expectation.  At no point have I called their customer service to complain.  I’d be happy if they would either return my trade ins or provide me with a check for the $1000 trade in value and cancel my order.

So, again, don’t tell me I don’t get it.  I fully get that Taylormade is unable to handle their orders versus in coming stock.  So just be honest with the customers that they don’t know when delivery will be available and offer them an exit plan if the customer WANTS to exercise that option.  They are after all, the ones providing ALL the status, updates and delays.

Amen.  This isn’t just since covid.  P7tw release was a joke. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Wait, you have 40 years experience in a related field, knew about the largest shipping/ raw material/ supply chain crisis in modern history, and still thought, “Yeah, a month sounds about right.”?  👍

This implies that taylormade was completely out of line promoting the irons with ridiculous ship estimates

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, toddyc said:

This implies that taylormade was completely out of line promoting the irons with ridiculous ship estimates

Stock orders were, and may still be, going out within a months time.  He probably should have read the fine print.  I guarantee it didn’t include all the custom options.

46 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Stock orders were, and may still be, going out within a months time.  He probably should have read the fine print.  I guarantee it didn’t include all the custom options.

Right.  But. The point is. Taylormade is notorious for over promising and then pooping on some orders while filling others.  I don’t think I’ll ever get over ordering 2 sets of p7tw the first day orders were opened , through a long time account at a green grass shop , and getting told monthly for 4/5 months that “ they should ship anytime now” while everyone here got their sets etc.   no custom order. X100 with cord grips. 3-Pw.   Only to eventually cancel after waiting what felt like a year.  Then later find out that the 3 iron heads was the issue.  They ran out of 3 irons on a TW set.  I mean you can’t drop the ball any better than that.  

said that to say.  They should be differentiating between stock orders that will ship and custom orders  that won’t.  Not relying on the customer to read their minds.  Or ask.  I guess it was my fault that I didn’t ask at order “ do you guys have enough 3 iron heads “?   I mean come on.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  But. The point is. Taylormade is notorious for over promising and then pooping on some orders while filling others.  I don’t think I’ll ever get over ordering 2 sets of p7tw the first day orders were opened , through a long time account at a green grass shop , and getting told monthly for 4/5 months that “ they should ship anytime now” while everyone here got their sets etc.   no custom order. X100 with cord grips. 3-Pw.   Only to eventually cancel after waiting what felt like a year.  Then later find out that the 3 iron heads was the issue.  They ran out of 3 irons on a TW set.  I mean you can’t drop the ball any better than that.  

said that to say.  They should be differentiating between stock orders that will ship and custom orders  that won’t.  Not relying on the customer to read their minds.  Or ask.  I guess it was my fault that I didn’t ask at order “ do you guys have enough 3 iron heads “?   I mean come on.  

I can’t speak to your past issues with Taylormade, but for a knowledgeable insider like the OP to come on here and complain about order times seems a bit dubious.  If it’s a problem then cancel the order and move on.

I would like to see the original email from TM the OP received.  

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Sure. That’s possible.  

But even given his status , he has a right to complain publicly.  We all say positive things when we are excited with a new club. Why not also say the negative when they happen ?      And I’m not what you can call a TM hater. I have $600 worth of heads of theirs in my bag right now and it’s two of the safest clubs there. 

I just recall the flame throwers that were aimed at me when I complained about them.  And I believe the excuse making was undeserved then and will be now when  they come for me for saying it again here. TM gets defended here more than anyone besides pxg.  Both make great clubs , but also deserve the criticism they earn at times. 

The issue is being upset with them while in the midst of a global issue that they have no control over...  I'm sure they are being told one thing and then it gets pushed back...  Or are you assuming that they know they it would have possibly been a December delivery all along and strung him along.  Personally, I seriously doubt that.

When I was selling my house a few months ago, I set the date to be a few days after I had new windows installed.  Everything was great until a week before when they said they couldn't get the color vinyl I wanted in time from Germany to meet my date and would be another 5 weeks later.  Obviously this wasn't going to work.  I picked a different color and moved on.  I had way more money involved than $1k, but did I go online and flame the window company?  No...  Did I go online to try and flame the company in Germany?  No...  Because I understand what is going on and can accept it rather than someone with apparently 40 years experience...

No different than when I was going to install a new kitchen.  Usual quote is 2 weeks turn around, they were 15 weeks out and increasing weekly IF things stayed at current stock levels...  No different than the Swimspa we are putting in our new place.  Taking orders now for 6-7 month delivery and 8-9 month install...  But I'm not holding my breath... 

Maybe I should go online and let them know I'm more important than everyone else, that usually works...    Manage expectations and it'll even help lower your blood pressure...

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

A Revolving Door

15 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

The issue is being upset with them while in the midst of a global issue that they have no control over...  I'm sure they are being told one thing and then it gets pushed back...  Or are you assuming that they know they it would have possibly been a December delivery all along and strung him along.  Personally, I seriously doubt that.

When I was selling my house a few months ago, I set the date to be a few days after I had new windows installed.  Everything was great until a week before when they said they couldn't get the color vinyl I wanted in time from Germany to meet my date and would be another 5 weeks later.  Obviously this wasn't going to work.  I picked a different color and moved on.  I had way more money involved than $1k, but did I go online and flame the window company?  No...  Did I go online to try and flame the company in Germany?  No...  Because I understand what is going on and can accept it rather than someone with apparently 40 years experience...

No different than when I was going to install a new kitchen.  Usual quote is 2 weeks turn around, they were 15 weeks out and increasing weekly IF things stayed at current stock levels...  No different than the Swimspa we are putting in our new place.  Taking orders now for 6-7 month delivery and 8-9 month install...  But I'm not holding my breath... 

Maybe I should go online and let them know I'm more important than everyone else, that usually works...    Manage expectations and it'll even help lower your blood pressure...

Sure. But. As I said. This has been TM situation normal for a long time.  Well before the current manipulation . 

I know the shop Owner I ordered through. I was on speaker phone for more than half of those update calls.  They knew from day 1 what the issue was. They held that info for over 4 months before finally saying it. Why ?  To stop a mass cancellation of orders.  

That’s the whole point.  Your window guy told you of your options.  Tm has a way of not saying up front “ if you order this grip it’s going to be a while “. This eliminates the choice.  Until later when you’ve waited so long that you just don’t want  the product anymore 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Sure. But. As I said. This has been TM situation normal for a long time.  Well before the current manipulation . 

I know the shop Owner I ordered through. I was on speaker phone for more than half of those update calls.  They knew from day 1 what the issue was. They held that info for over 4 months before finally saying it. Why ?  To stop a mass cancellation of orders.  

I agree that if it something like a grip that they should just call and let you know and get one installed that is in stock.  But you can't string past issues within todays climate.  it's disingenuous at best.  Could things have been done differently, sure, but that goes for pretty well all OEM's at this point.  I know Titleist had grip issues a year ago and wasn't wanting to let people know and would keep clubs from being shipped out for 4 months because of it.  But I didn't go online and slag them.

A Revolving Door

3 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I agree that if it something like a grip that they should just call and let you know and get one installed that is in stock.  But you can't string past issues within todays climate.  it's disingenuous at best.  Could things have been done differently, sure, but that goes for pretty well all OEM's at this point.  I know Titleist had grip issues a year ago and wasn't wanting to let people know and would keep clubs from being shipped out for 4 months because of it.  But I didn't go online and slag them.

Look. I mostly agree.  I’m a business owner. I deal with the public. And I know how unfair and easy online griping is. I do rarely do it. I mean literally doesn’t happen . I don’t even write Amazon reviews.  And they beg for that on every  order.  But.  

there are certain experiences that flip the switch.  Placing a $4k order on day one of availability  and being lied to by omission for 4 months on a set of irons that would have been my first new set in my life ( I had always bought used )  , kind of stuck with me. And the attitude that I got when I finally canceled was just like “ oh well. “.   I ended up with a new set of ping blueprints and experienced the exact opposite.  

again. It hasn’t stopped me from spending money on TM. Just stopped me from ever ordering from them. I’m not saying this to pull them down. I’m saying it in hopes that they change to get better.  It’s either a free reign local rep issue.  As in they lie to keep their numbers up.  Or its a supply chain issue , one where they don’t know how many of what I’d coming.  It’s not so much the when. As the how many.  The when can be tracked globally now.  You know where your container is.  Their issue seems to be that they don’t know what’s on the container until it’s opened.  So they guess.  

• Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think most OEMs are having delay issues on orders placed since the pandemic but Taylor made has had this issue since pre pandemic. It was ever since KPS Partners bought out Taylormade golf in 2017, they decided to reduce their inventory big time of supplies/components.

I placed an order of a long iron p790 and p730 blades in spring 2018 with x100 tour issue shafts. I was quoted 2-3 weeks when I placed the order and after 2 months I cancelled. After many calls I found out they were waiting on an 8 iron shaft and a couple heads. I found out you pretty much couldn’t order any clubs from them in the spring and expect to get it anytime soon which was crazy. 

hopefully that changes in the future with this new Korean ownership

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1