2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

P790’s Delayed AGAIN!

Soccerrick10

11 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I would guess that PXG ordered a tremendous amount in 1 or 2 large orders to take advantage of volume pricing.  The others may do more volume in a greater number of transactions, and got caught in the SCC (supply chain catastrophe).  

Whew, made it through that post without getting political.  I should buy a lottery ticket.

They do have a large supply of heads however they are now faced by the same shaft issues others have and it’s hit or miss what shafts you can get each month. Last time I looked they had 1 or 2 shafts in x flex

48 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Look. I mostly agree.  I’m a business owner. I deal with the public. And I know how unfair and easy online griping is. I do rarely do it. I mean literally doesn’t happen . I don’t even write Amazon reviews.  And they beg for that on every  order.  But.  

there are certain experiences that flip the switch.  Placing a $4k order on day one of availability  and being lied to by omission for 4 months on a set of irons that would have been my first new set in my life ( I had always bought used )  , kind of stuck with me. And the attitude that I got when I finally canceled was just like “ oh well. “.   I ended up with a new set of ping blueprints and experienced the exact opposite.  

again. It hasn’t stopped me from spending money on TM. Just stopped me from ever ordering from them. I’m not saying this to pull them down. I’m saying it in hopes that they change to get better.  It’s either a free reign local rep issue.  As in they lie to keep their numbers up.  Or its a supply chain issue , one where they don’t know how many of what I’d coming.  It’s not so much the when. As the how many.  The when can be tracked globally now.  You know where your container is.  Their issue seems to be that they don’t know what’s on the container until it’s opened.  So they guess.  

You’re right….you know where your container is.  But you have no freaking idea when your container will make it through the port. Do you really think they are all done in order of receipt?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/10/04/shipping-containers-waiting-ports-los-angeles-long-beach/

image.jpeg.51aa582b69365e280c798613170564a5.jpeg

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

23 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

You’re right….you know where your container is.  But you have no freaking idea when your container will make it through the port. Do you really think they are all done in order of receipt?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/10/04/shipping-containers-waiting-ports-los-angeles-long-beach/

image.jpeg.51aa582b69365e280c798613170564a5.jpeg

Exactly.  And - have they stopped taking orders ?  What’s he promised lead time. ?  That’s the issue. I can’t get away with promising this month and delivering next year.   They’d be smart to take the Home Depot approach for Christmas decorations. Charter your own boat - if you could pickup a whole model run for all clubs at one time.  But I’m sure that’s not doable on the manufacturing end. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You just have to assume everything will be delayed. And lead times quoted by 1 person inside a company, who really knows. Could be a new CSR, or a salesperson who wants an order. This happens in 1000s of companies in different industries.

We know what the market is like right now, if i order something now with golf, i just assume it's months. I wanted to order a bag and my pro said i'd likely have it by the start of next season LOL

I've mentioned this in other threads, but the tech industry is way worse off right now. If you go to car company websites they flat out say they can't build some cars due to shortages of components

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I know Srixon and Cobra will give you a price for your trade inane even sell them at the discounted price and you keep your current stuff till your order arrives. I like that feature as you're not out of equipment. I'm loving my Srixon ZX5's and Limited edition PTC RADSPEED XB Driver

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

2 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

The issue is being upset with them while in the midst of a global issue that they have no control over...  I'm sure they are being told one thing and then it gets pushed back...  Or are you assuming that they know they it would have possibly been a December delivery all along and strung him along.  Personally, I seriously doubt that.

When I was selling my house a few months ago, I set the date to be a few days after I had new windows installed.  Everything was great until a week before when they said they couldn't get the color vinyl I wanted in time from Germany to meet my date and would be another 5 weeks later.  Obviously this wasn't going to work.  I picked a different color and moved on.  I had way more money involved than $1k, but did I go online and flame the window company?  No...  Did I go online to try and flame the company in Germany?  No...  Because I understand what is going on and can accept it rather than someone with apparently 40 years experience...

No different than when I was going to install a new kitchen.  Usual quote is 2 weeks turn around, they were 15 weeks out and increasing weekly IF things stayed at current stock levels...  No different than the Swimspa we are putting in our new place.  Taking orders now for 6-7 month delivery and 8-9 month install...  But I'm not holding my breath... 

Maybe I should go online and let them know I'm more important than everyone else, that usually works...    Manage expectations and it'll even help lower your blood pressure...

This is the OP point right here.  If they told him, "hey it's gonna be 5 months", then that is easier to manage then an email update every few weeks with a different date that's further out, instead of the one month he was originally told.  He states in his OP that he used trade in gear to pay for these so just jumping ship doesn't seem like an option so comparing it to your window issue isn't quite fair.  His money is tied up.  No one likes being in that position and it does seem like TM could have handled some of this better by not over promising or pretending they could fulfill orders when they knew they wouldn't be able to... I'm sure they knew way before we did, what an issue it was going to be.  It's on them to do better IMO even though it is what it is.  Why is it his responsibility?  They already have his money, he did his part...

My buddy is waiting on a set of 790s also, custom length and lie, Modus 105 shafts.  He was told the 105 are the hold up, but I am not sure I believe that.  I told him to cancel and go PXG as they built and got a set to another friend of mine in 8 days.  If I were in the market right now, I wouldn't even hesitate to go PXG.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

54 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

You just have to assume everything will be delayed. And lead times quoted by 1 person inside a company, who really knows. Could be a new CSR, or a salesperson who wants an order. This happens in 1000s of companies in different industries.

We know what the market is like right now, if i order something now with golf, i just assume it's months. I wanted to order a bag and my pro said i'd likely have it by the start of next season LOL

I've mentioned this in other threads, but the tech industry is way worse off right now. If you go to car company websites they flat out say they can't build some cars due to shortages of components

I do agree with this.  If I did order I’d only do so with zero expectations of ever getting the order. Ever.  It would be the only way to stay sane.  But that’s also why I’d never order anything in this climate.  It would Be impossible for me to keep that promise to myself.  Afterall. Self knows when I lie to him. Lol.  Expectations are only half controllable .  The other half is set by the opposite side subconsciously.  

the scary issue is.  If everyone thought like me snd decided to just do without if I couldn’t buy it from on hand items.  .  We’d see a quick collapse of the industry.  A very dangerous shell game being played. Proving that a model with more in stock inventory vs inventory in theory based on production projection times is much much more stable long term.  We should stop letting them make pennies more per item by not ordering unless it’s on hand now.  It would stop this “ drop ship “ model crap that washes the hands of some folks because they never touch product.  Bring back ownership to the chain.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

15 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I do agree with this.  If I did order I’d only do so with zero expectations of ever getting the order. Ever.  It would be the only way to stay sane.  But that’s also why I’d never order anything in this climate.  It would Be impossible for me to keep that promise to myself.  Afterall. Self knows when I lie to him. Lol.  Expectations are only half controllable .  The other half is set by the opposite side subconsciously.  

the scary issue is.  If everyone thought like me snd decided to just do without if I couldn’t buy it from on hand items.  .  We’d see a quick collapse of the industry.  A very dangerous shell game being played. Proving that a model with more in stock inventory vs inventory in theory based on production projection times is much much more stable long term.  We should stop letting them make pennies more per item by not ordering unless it’s on hand now.  It would stop this “ drop ship “ model crap that washes the hands of some folks because they never touch product.  Bring back ownership to the chain.  

Yeah i know, and not to get to into peripheral stuff that could veer towards what some consider politics--I just don't see it happening

No one wants inventory anymore. Especially public companies. Let someone else assume the risk, that's how they all think. Of course this also comes from us, we want better prices--the easiest costs to cut are inventory and personel. So companies are running leaner and stock nothing. I work with companies whose job is to stock and even they mostly stock phantom product (consider orders placed as inventory and try to work just in time)

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If ordering stock why would anyone order direct from a manufacturer?  Find a store, online or brick and mortar, that has them in stock and order them. 
If absolutely no one has stock on hand then you are playing the waiting game. And cannot count on any date given.  
  Let’s say you want a certain Lamkin grip and they are currently out of that grip.  Do you think “your set” will be put aside until the grips come in?  Of course not they will fulfill orders with Golf Pride or whatever grip is in stock.  Then the grips come in but the Nippon shaft you wanted is now on back order.  Do you think your set is now put aside to wait?

That describes why some orders get filled and others can get stuck in a loop.  Find out what the short is and decide how badly you need that.  If it’s just he grips tell them to throw whatever grip in the box and get them out the door. Obviously heads you’re screwed and shaft importance depends on the golfer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Yeah i know, and not to get to into peripheral stuff that could veer towards what some consider politics--I just don't see it happening

No one wants inventory anymore. Especially public companies. Let someone else assume the risk, that's how they all think. Of course this also comes from us, we want better prices--the easiest costs to cut are inventory and personel. So companies are running leaner and stock nothing. I work with companies whose job is to stock and even they mostly stock phantom product (consider orders placed as inventory and try to work just in time)

Yep. I agree.  I know it’s a pipe dream.  Or maybe just hindsight.  But it irks me to know what we’re giving up to save a small buck at the counter.  All the while the companies is making 2 bucks ( just a wild arse guess 2-1) more than before because they don’t have to handle it or store it.  Was sold as win win.   Until ……..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. I agree.  I know it’s a pipe dream.  Or maybe just hindsight.  But it irks me to know what we’re giving up to save a small buck at the counter.  All the while the companies is making 2 bucks ( just a wild arse guess 2-1) more than before because they don’t have to handle it or store it.  Was sold as win win.   Until ……..

Whats even crazier to me is when companies whose biggest value proposition is inventory (like big box retailers, for example) decide they don't want inventory anymore. I understand the dollars behind it, but you are also making yourself obsolete. Though they convince themselves they are not. But if i have to wait for product anyway, why wouldn't i order from my pro shop or even direct..

And as mentioned this is not just common to golf, see this in other industries. Companies i look at making decisions that basically seal that they will be out of business in 10 years

• Thanks 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

35 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Whats even crazier to me is when companies whose biggest value proposition is inventory (like big box retailers, for example) decide they don't want inventory anymore. I understand the dollars behind it, but you are also making yourself obsolete. Though they convince themselves they are not. But if i have to wait for product anyway, why wouldn't i order from my pro shop or even direct..

And as mentioned this is not just common to golf, see this in other industries. Companies i look at making decisions that basically seal that they will be out of business in 10 years

Exactly.  If I have to order it anyway. Why wouldn’t i choose fastest service or cheapest price ?  Or both if possible ?    They literally abandoned the “ me “ of the world that will remain loyal and pay more for ability get it now.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

37 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I guess that was one of the problems with Taylormades downfall before selling off in 2017, excess inventory. They were changing models every year and had tons of left over inventory. Goal for company who bought them out was to reduce inventory (which they overdid and couldn't meet orders) and stop having so many new models.

2 hours ago, tofur99 said:

maybe because demand isn't that high for PXG clubs?  You'd have to pay me to play those things lol

You need to try them. 

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

11 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

You need to try them. 

I'm allergic to any product that has those kind of advertising spots trying to sell me on them, PXG really needs a new marketing team if the clubs aren't as bad as the commercials make them seem

Edited by tofur99

6 hours ago, bladehunter said:

The when can be tracked globally now.  You know where your container is.  Their issue seems to be that they don’t know what’s on the container until it’s opened.  So they guess.  

My guess is that they are at the mercy of the ports.  With such a backlog of ships waiting to be unloaded, no one is going to be able to just say 'we come first, we have people waiting', everyone is in the same situation.  

So my guess is more than things seem to be going ok at the ports, an update is given on when it 'might' get unloaded, and then another outbreak happens and shuts things down again.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

17 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Wait.  So Taylormade knew that supply chain issues would mean that people would have to wait months for their order and they still launched a new version of the 790s with a huge marketing campaign and proactively reached out to customers promising to deliver the clubs in a month?

See how that works?

17 yards longer each generation!

A Revolving Door

17 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Wait.  So Taylormade knew that supply chain issues would mean that people would have to wait months for their order and they still launched a new version of the 790s with a huge marketing campaign and proactively reached out to customers promising to deliver the clubs in a month?

See how that works?

They did the right thing with the mini driver thing they released about two months ago though. 
They found out they wouldn’t be able to get heads until the Spring of ‘22 and pulled whatever clubs (or demos?) out of retail stores until then.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX23 HM 6-AW 

CLEVELAND CBX Zipcore 54-11

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, PEI_Golfer said:

My guess is that they are at the mercy of the ports.  With such a backlog of ships waiting to be unloaded, no one is going to be able to just say 'we come first, we have people waiting', everyone is in the same situation.  

So my guess is more than things seem to be going ok at the ports, an update is given on when it 'might' get unloaded, and then another outbreak happens and shuts things down again.

Could be a location issue.  

I live 10 min from the inland port , specifically the rail and truck yard outside greer sc.  they take containers from Charleston.  They’re moving like bees 24/7.  Trains in then containers offloaded. - Trucks in then containers loaded and back out.   My guess is all the clubs come into the west coast .  

Quick search gets this. Seemingly from the horses mouth.  Ships starting to use the Panama Canal and come to the East coast to get unloaded.  

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/east-coast-ports-volume-teus-los-angeles-long-beach-congestion/607978/

Edited by bladehunter
More info found.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Could be a location issue.  

I live 10 min from the inland port , specifically the rail and truck yard outside greer sc.  they take containers from Charleston.  They’re moving like bees 24/7.  Trains in then containers offloaded. - Trucks in then containers loaded and back out.   My guess is all the clubs come into the west coast .  

Quick search gets this. Seemingly from the horses mouth.  Ships starting to use the Panama Canal and come to the East coast to get unloaded.  

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/east-coast-ports-volume-teus-los-angeles-long-beach-congestion/607978/

I thought I had heard that not all ships could do this, thus the further backlog on the west coast as they don't have ports that can't specifically do some/most of the ships awaiting unloading.

A Revolving Door

1 minute ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I thought I had heard that not all ships could do this, thus the further backlog on the west coast as they don't have ports that can't specifically do some/most of the ships awaiting unloading.

Might be true.  I don’t know. There are some ships now that probably won’t fit through the Panama Canal ? 

I know that they deepened he Charleston port a few years ago to accommodate these super ships.  Before that we couldn’t take them at all.  But we’re still a small port compared to most. 

they built this inland port near me at the same time. And added a whole new 4 lane road (hwy80 )to feed it off the interstate.  Which for me worked out since it cut 20 minutes off the time from my house to i85.  THats why I see how much they’re moving at the inland port.  I drive by it often.  You go up over a bridge to cross the railway and whne you do you can see inside the place pretty good.  It’s crazy how many containers are stacked there.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

This is the OP point right here.  If they told him, "hey it's gonna be 5 months", then that is easier to manage then an email update every few weeks with a different date that's further out, instead of the one month he was originally told.  He states in his OP that he used trade in gear to pay for these so just jumping ship doesn't seem like an option so comparing it to your window issue isn't quite fair.  His money is tied up.  No one likes being in that position and it does seem like TM could have handled some of this better by not over promising or pretending they could fulfill orders when they knew they wouldn't be able to... I'm sure they knew way before we did, what an issue it was going to be.  It's on them to do better IMO even though it is what it is.  Why is it his responsibility?  They already have his money, he did his part...

My buddy is waiting on a set of 790s also, custom length and lie, Modus 105 shafts.  He was told the 105 are the hold up, but I am not sure I believe that.  I told him to cancel and go PXG as they built and got a set to another friend of mine in 8 days.  If I were in the market right now, I wouldn't even hesitate to go PXG.

Thanks Nixhex524 - you summarized better than my original post. 

BTW, in the mean time, I bought a set of the 0311 Gen 3 irons. They are REALLY good.  So good in fact, I’ve built a whole PXG bag since.  The longest delivery time on any item I bought was 8 days door to door.

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, kcarrgolf said:

I ordered some P790's last week.  They do not have lefty heads - backordered until February.  Shaft and grips were only a week or two out.  

So I shouldn’t get my hopes up on my lefty set I ordered 9/10 and was told they’d ship 10/20?  If they tell me February I’ll probably try and cancel. Problem is shop probably won’t want to refund my $1500+. 

Checked on my P790 left hand custom order today that was supposed to ship two days ago. Taylormade said delayed and will ship a month from now, November 20th. I decided to put an end to that. Cancelled the order and bought a set of Srixon ZX5’s that are in stock and will ship from Srixon in two days. Added 3 Cleveland Zipcore wedges to the order that the shop had in stock. My first and last experience with  taylormade irons, most likely. Actually happy I switched to the Srixons anyway, probably a better iron. 

• Like 4

I feel your pain I order combo of 790/770 got 4 different emails on the 770's so told them to switch them all to 790's. They shipped me 9,pw,gw a couple weeks back. I asked about the rest of my set and said early Nov waiting on 1 shaft. Worst part I have a set of shafts I ordered I wish I could tell them just ship the head I'm good lol

13 minutes ago, soufrog said:

I feel your pain I order combo of 790/770 got 4 different emails on the 770's so told them to switch them all to 790's. They shipped me 9,pw,gw a couple weeks back. I asked about the rest of my set and said early Nov waiting on 1 shaft. Worst part I have a set of shafts I ordered I wish I could tell them just ship the head I'm good lol

If you’re pulling all of them ask them to put in whatever no up charge shaft they have available.

Edited by Shilgy

I got mine w/ Recoil 95’s in 2 weeks.

Ordered first week of October. 
Asked for grips in box, they sent 1………lol

PGASS Provided grips, N/C

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R